Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2018, 16:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti dealership in Assam (Anamika Motors) refuses to take booking without purchase of accessories

Hi All,

Recently I had a strange and bitter experience at a Maruti-Suzuki Dealership called Anamika Motors, Sivasagar, Assam. Last Saturday, 3rd of March, 2018, we went to have a look at the new Maruti Suzuki Swift. We kind of liked the car and wanted to book the car. BTW, Anamika Motors is the only dealership available in Sivasagar for Maruti.

I was planning to make the booking payment and asked for the quotation as I'll have to apply for loan at my working place, which is in a different state. At this point of time, the sales guy has informed us that as per their policy, I'll also have to purchase an accessories kit from Maruti worth Rs. 18,500. I've refused to purchase the kit as I wanted to purchase stuff that I need after buying the car. But at this point, they've flatly declined to take the booking for the car. When I raised my displeasure, the sales guy spoke to his superior but even his manager told the same thing and refused to take any booking. Although he agreed to provide another kit worth the amount to Rs. 10,000 instead of Rs. 18500. But as I felt that it's a case of extortion, I flatly refused to purchase any kit just to get a booking. I've clearly told them that if I feel the need for any accessories then I'll buy them on my own and won't buy any stuff which is forced upon. At the end of the day, we had to return home without any booking.

I've lodged a complaint regarding the same to Maruti Suzuki and to which the Anamika Motor's representative have responded. As per Anamika Motors, it's a policy by their parent company ie Maruti-Suzuki and they are acting according to instructions by Maruti Suzuki.

Now, I've the following questions in my mind,

1. Is this even legal or ethical to force a customer to buy accessories that he/she doesn't want?

2. Can the dealership refuse to take a booking on the ground of customer not buying the aforementioned kit?

3. Or am I being the guy who is unaware of recent policies and should've actually paid them and get the booking done?

4. If not, what should be my further steps? I somehow have an uncomfortable feeling that they have been extorting many similar customers with such unethical policies. Also, today it is forced accessories, tomorrow it might be something else.

5. I have forwarded Anamika Motor's response mail to contact@maruti.co.in, stating my displeasure at this policy.

6. Or should I just let it go and move on. I am anyway no longer interested in buying a Maruti after this episode.

Waiting for valuable comments from the esteemed members of the community.
Regards,

Note : Mods, I tried to find any existing thread on same topic bu couldn't, hence starting this new thread. Please move to proper place if deemed necessary.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th March 2018 at 14:27. Reason: Spacing for better readability
kaushik_s is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 16:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti dealership in Assam (Anamika Motors) refuses to take booking without purchase of accessories

What a scam!

I was the "best-man" in a colleagues purchase for Swift Dzire Zdi AMT around 2nd week of Jan-18. I put my foot down and they ended up begging us for buying some sort of accessories. I only paid Ex-showroom + Road Tax charges and ensured the road tax amount is same as what is on the RC book. Insurance was done by ourselves outside and we got a better offer than what they had to give from the showroom.

No handling charges, no other BS. Only ex-showroom amount as per invoice amount (incl GST) and Road tax amount as per RC book.

Of course we did not even get the mud flaps, door mats, God Idol, Pen, seat covers, teflon, sunfilm, no bells and whistles - but my KRA on this deal was to walk in with 2 pre-approved amounts and drive out with the car.

PS - We did not even pay for the low key affair of 'pooja + aarti' - but my friend didnt seem to care. All he wanted me to do was to push the purchase without being mobbed by the accessories department!
svsantosh is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 16:56   #3
BHPian

re: Maruti dealership in Assam (Anamika Motors) refuses to take booking without purchase of accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi All,
Recently I had a strange and bitter experience at a Maruti-Suzuki Dealership called Anamika Motors, Sivasagar, Assam. Last Saturday, 3rd of March, 2018, we went to have a look at the new Maruti Suzuki Swift. We kind of liked the car and wanted to book the car. BTW, Anamika Motors is the only dealership available in Sivasagar for Maruti. I was planning to make the booking payment and asked for the quotation as I'll have to apply for loan at my working place, which is in a different state. At this point of time, the sales guy has informed us that as per their policy, I'll also have to purchase an accessories kit from Maruti worth Rs. 18,500. I've refused to purchase the kit as I wanted to purchase stuff that I need after buying the car. But at this point, they've flatly declined to take the booking for the car. When I raised my displeasure, the sales guy have tried to talk to his superior but even his manager told the same thing and refused to take any booking. Although he agreed to provide another kit worth the amount to Rs. 10,000 instead of Rs. 18500. But as I felt that it's a case of extortion, I flatly refused to purchase any kit just to get a booking. I've clearly told them that if I feel the need for any accessories then I'll buy them on my own and won't buy any stuff which is forced upon. At the end of the day, we had to return home without any booking.
I've lodged a complaint regarding the same to Maruti Suzuki and to which the Anamika Motor's representative have responded. As per Anamika Motors, it's a policy by their parent company ie Maruti-Suzuki and they are acting according to instructions by Maruti Suzuki.
Now, I've the following questions in my mind,
1. Is this even legal or ethical to force a customer to buy accessories that he/she doesn't want?
2. Can the dealership refuse to take a booking on the ground of customer not buying the aforementioned kit?
3. Or am I being the guy who is unaware of recent policies and should've actually paid them and get the booking done?
4. If not, what should be my further steps? I somehow have an uncomfortable feeling that they have been extorting many similar customers with such unethical policies. Also, today it is forced accessories, tomorrow it might be something else.
5. I did have forwarded Anamika Motor's response mail to contact@maruti.co.in, stating my displeasure at this policy.
6. Or should I just let it go and move on. I am anyway no longer interested in buying a Maruti after this episode.
Waiting for valuable comments from the esteemed members of the community.
Regards,

Note : Mods, I tried to find any existing thread on same topic bu couldn't, hence starting this new thread. Please move to proper place if deemed necessary.
This looks like a scam. A few months ago we bought a Vitara Brezza for the company i work for. Our company takes care of registration and insurance so we pay only the ex- showroom price to the dealer.

After the vehicle had arrived at the dealership, the sales supervisor informed us that 3rd year extended warranty had been made compulsory by Maruti Suzuki which sounded fishy.

Called up Maruti customer care and they confirmed that there is no such thing. When i conveyed this to the dealer, he apologized and asked not to raise a complaint against the dealership. Knowing the guy for quite sometime, I did not pursue the issue further, but yes, this is what most dealerships do to make a quick buck.
aditya.86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 18:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. I did have forwarded Anamika Motor's response mail to contact@maruti.co.in, stating my displeasure at this policy.
Did you try reaching out to the Company via telephone?

The dealership has landed itself in a mess over a trivial matter. Had this been any other brand's dealership, it would have been a different ending, but with Maruti, the company will take strict action on the dealership (I think).

Yes, Maruti asks for certain parameters like accessories per car and insurance per car, etc., but when there are people who buy nothing extra, there are also some that take 2X of the accessories. But its upto the customer to make the decision.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 20:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Recently I had a strange and bitter experience at a Maruti-Suzuki Dealership called Anamika Motors, Sivasagar, Assam.
Hi, shoot a mail to crm@maruti.co.in and trust me, the dealership will beg. Also call on the head office number and tell them what has happened. They'll connect you to the Regional Office at Guwahati.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti dealership in Assam (Anamika Motors) refuses to take booking without purchase of accessories-screenshot_20180307205045_01.jpg  

BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 22:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
After the vehicle had arrived at the dealership, the sales supervisor informed us that 3rd year extended warranty had been made compulsory by Maruti Suzuki which sounded fishy.
This is something which I have been noticing in pricelist by many Maruti dealers. They include the 3rd year warranty in the ex showroom price itself.

They are just plain lucky that I am not in the market for a new car right now, hence letting that pass.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 09:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This is something which I have been noticing in pricelist by many Maruti dealers. They include the 3rd year warranty in the ex showroom price itself.

They are just plain lucky that I am not in the market for a new car right now, hence letting that pass.
@Leoshashi- All this happened inspite of me knowing the sales manager personally and our company being a regular buyer of Maruti cars.

We can imagine the plight of the common man who walks into the showroom.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 10:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti dealership in Assam (Anamika Motors) refuses to take booking without purchase of accessor

It is common (but wrong) practice of MS dealers to include the Extended warranty in Car's quotation. They try to sell their different accessory package to the customer, some SAs even say that it's compulsory to buy one of the accessory packages.

However, including accessories in quotation and denying to book the car without accessories is one step ahead. I am sure MSIL will teach a lesson to this dealer.

Maruti dealership in Assam (Anamika Motors) refuses to take booking without purchase of accessories-quote.jpg
Old 8th March 2018, 10:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti dealership in Assam (Anamika Motors) refuses to take booking without purchase of accessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
It is common (but wrong) practice of MS dealers to include the Extended warranty in Car's quotation. They try to sell their different accessory package to the customer, some SAs even say that it's compulsory to buy one of the accessory packages.
Last 2 purchases of Maruti cars for us has been without any extended warranty and RTO charges. I've got registration done myself saving a few thousand rupees and have purchased the extended warranty later after 2-3 days. Plus I've never paid for any official accessories as listed in their price list. During WagonR purchase, I did not pay for accessories but purchased everything from them after final billing, the total price was much less. I was getting 7 different things in same price in which they were providing 4. But everyone else I know, they've always paid everything that's asked by the dealer. No one questions. I had raised a complaint once during waiting for Brezza. And the dealer was running around since that day.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 11:17   #10
BHPian

Man, if I were in your place, I would certainly be buying a Maruti car itself. Like others said above, a nice little complain would really have the GM of the dealership begging for mercy. You just might get some good discounts.

Also you can try to book your Maruti online

Its a big scam no doubt. I have always been buying extended warranty for the max possible duration as the cost benefit is way too good, hence that doesn't bother me.
Old 9th March 2018, 13:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

As per the suggestions, I've sent mails to crm@maruti.co.in. But there have been no response from Maruti to any of my mails. It seems Maruti also have given nod for this policy to their dealers and hence they are not responding. I'll try to escalate the issue through their other channels but somehow not very positive about the outcome.
Old 13th March 2018, 15:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Try Social Media - hopefully they will respond quickly, or they will delete your post (in which case it's best to look for another manufacturer).

Honestly - this is a scam. If it's mandatory, it needs to be included in the ex-showroom pricing.

While buying our S-Cross, Nexa Lower Parel wanted us to take their extended warranty instead of the Maruti Extended warranty. I don't even understand how Maruti allows this!
Interestingly, I've only experienced this with Maruti (though I am sure most other dealers will also try and make a quick buck on a car with high waiting / demand).
Old 28th March 2018, 19:04   #13
BHPian

Hello Kaushik, any updates on this?
I am getting into the market for a purchase and the main contenders are S-Cross & Nexon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks