Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 08:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Popular Hyundai, Vyttila - Pathetic service continues for 3 years!

I never thought I would start a thread on this but thanks to the repeated bad experiences, I had to post this.

It started off sometime in 2013 when we bought the Verna. Since this particular service center (Popular Hyundai, Vytilla) was the nearest, we knew this would be the one for us. We weren't satisfied with the service and shifted to another dealer. The entire experience was too bad.

Fast forward to 2015, I sold the Ecosport and bought the Creta. The sales team was excellent and I did recommend many here and even posted good comments on them. Surprisingly, many potential customers did mention the positive review that was there in my thread.

But everything changed when I gave my car for service. Here are some points that I wish to comment:

1) The car's wiper had this juddering right from the time I bought the car. Conveyed this during the first free service. It wasn't rectified. In fact, I mentioned this problem for almost two years and yet they didn't rectify it. Asked them to somehow rectify this issue either by replacing the wiper blade or the wiper arm. This wasn't done as it was not covered under warranty.

The below videos were taken on Nov 2016 and July 2017. Increase the volume to hear the juddering. This was worse during monsoon.

Video taken in Nov 2016

Video taken in July 2017

After this, I went to another dealer and got the wiper blade replaced. Problem solved.

2) Next was the waiting - I usually give the car before 9am hoping to get the car in the evening(say around 5). Couple of services, I even didn't get calls from the SA. I had to call them and ask whether it was ready. Then there was the wait at the service center. There was one time, for the Grand i10's first service I had to wait in the lounge for an hour. That was when I just lost it and shouted at the reception. 9am to 7pm is just too much for the customary first service where they just check the fluids and the general condition of the car. Even though their manager/service head gives me a call each time to apologize, this happens everytime I go.

3) Pushing for accessories - This happens every time I go there. Since Creta was pretty much loaded, they try to push for the vinyl carpet. As for the i10, it was the underbody coating, paint protection, vinyl flooring etc. Nowadays, when the SA is allotted, I do point out not to push for accessories and skip wheel alignment/balancing. I totally understand that it's their duty to push for accessories, but giving more importance to that rather hearing issues/complaints pointed out by the customer is absurd.

4) Pushing for feedback - This is done by the receptionist, SA and you get numerous calls asking to drop a 10/10 rating. Till now, I haven't provided a negative feedback on them even though all my services were not satisfactory but the latest experience was just pathetic and I had to give 1/10 rating.

5) Quality of wash - Couple of bad experiences and I asked them not to wash the Creta. The worst part is that they use this strong liquid to polish the dashboard and plastics. The horrifying part is that they use the same thing to wipe the steering wheel which makes it very slippery. Imagine driving this and initiating a turn. My wife had a close call while driving my car. So we told them not to use this on the Grand i10, but it was there at the end of day.

Now what really made me post this review - At this point of time, the Verna and Creta found another service station and it was just the Grand i10 being serviced here.

My wife didn't want to travel far for service so she insisted we try this place one more time. The i10 was scheduled for the second free service (10k). Since my wife had a busy schedule that week, we booked for a service on Sunday. Gave the car in the morning and pointed out the following issues:

(a) Wiper spray (passenger side) wasn't working.
(b) Clutch pedal play felt really loose when engaged.
(c) Reverse gear won't slot easily.
(d) Car had coupe of scratches and asked them to touch up and not repaint.

As it was a Sunday, they said they could only touch up on Monday and asked us to collect the car on Monday. Went there the next day and few spots were left out. Asked them to cover all areas (we had asked them to touch up all areas on Sun) and said we will leave the car here and collect it on Tuesday. Went there the next day and the touch up was sloppy. Yes, I know the touch up wont be a factory finish but I had done this on the Creta and it was way better. This had paint drips instead of brush strokes.

Here are few pictures.

Popular Hyundai, Vyttila - Pathetic service continues for 3 years!-img_20180531_102315.jpg

Popular Hyundai, Vyttila - Pathetic service continues for 3 years!-img_20180531_102400.jpg

Even though we weren't satisfied with the paint work, we decided to pay the bill and get back home. I asked about the problems that I had pointed out and the SA confirmed that it's been rectified. Said the wiper spray nozzle was blocked. I made a mistake of not checking it then and there itself. And now they were busy collecting the feedback and didn't want us to come up with more complaints. My wife gave 9/10 since the SA had to redo the touch ups even though it wasn't perfect. Like always, asked us to give 10/10 rating when we receive the call from the head office. The Creta's clutch was also getting hard so I asked him to check on it. He called the mechanic and upon engaging the clutch he confirmed that the clutch needs to be replaced. Wonder how quickly he diagnosed the issue and asked him how can he be so sure on that and questioned him whether it can be a faulty clutch cable or something else. I had serviced the Creta few weeks before this was checked. Shows that nothing else was checked/inspected as instructed in the manual.

The next day we came to know that the problems weren't rectified. Tried using the wiper spray and it didn't work. Here's a video:

Also, they did try rectifying it. Note the marks left behind by a screw driver/tool. Here are the pictures:

Popular Hyundai, Vyttila - Pathetic service continues for 3 years!-wiper.jpg

Luckily, on the same day I received a message from Hyundai asking to leave the feedback. I gave 1/10 rating and pointed out the comments. In fact, I decided to drop an email too with the same.

Received a call from the service center last Saturday and wife passed my number. They pointed out that the problem will be resolved that day itself and will be notified. Like always, I receive a call after 6 days from the CRM and he apologized for the mistakes (same thing that's been happening for 3 years). Asked me to come leave the car one day to which I didn't agree. After 3 days, I get a call from the SA. Here's what happened:

SA: What were the issues sir?
Me: Uh, so you don't remember the problems?
SA: Silent
Me: I pointed out the issues (mentioned above).
SA: Sir, we repaired all the issues.
Me: I have the videos taken showing it's still not working. And the picture of the marks left by a screwdriver.
SA: Silent. Sir, please bring the car and we shall rectify the issues.
Me: I need the entire panel replaced and need it in stock condition. Now you have left marks on it. Nothing else is acceptable.
SA: Long silence
Me: I repeat the same.
Me: This is the only thing i want and I shall post the entire experience on TeamBHP. Discuss this with you manager and update me.
Me: I end the call.

It's been 3 days now and no updates. Guess they will start calling me once this thread goes live.

Since I have been experiencing this for the past 3-4 years, I know nothing will change. 3 cars from Hyundai and this pathetic treatment, .

The problem lies in the root itself and needs a complete overhaul of the system to make it perfect. Temporary solution (which is what's being done now) wont change anything. My experience says it all! and here's one review that I show on Google listing. Do I need to say anything more!

Popular Hyundai, Vyttila - Pathetic service continues for 3 years!-screenshot_1.jpg

June 11th 2018

Received the call from the service manager stating that he would like to offer his help. Asked for the issues and conveyed the same to him. Said he would send the technician on site and rectify the issues. I pointed out that the only way out of this is to replace the scratched panel and want it in stock condition. When the dealers forcefully demand you to get extended warranty, in-house insurance, handling charges etc, I do the same back. He requested to send the images via whatsapp and said he would get back to me immediately. It's been 3 hours now and let's see what they have to say. Shall update the thread.

I also told about the clutch issue on the Creta and the immediate response that I got from the mechanic. He confirmed that if the clutch is hard, then you will need to replace the clutch. In the meantime, I checked with a FNG and another Hyundai dealer and they suggested to bring the vehicle so that they can diagnose it. Need not necessarily be a clutch replacement.

Hyundai, please don't let this be another Skoda. Wonderful product let down by pathetic after sales support.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 12th June 2018 at 08:59.
naveen.raju is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 09:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Popular Hyundai, Vyttila - Pathetic service continues for 3 years!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Dealerships Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 12:40   #3
BHPian

With two Hyundai cars and living with their pathetic service centers, I can relate to your pain dealing with these incompetent service advisors and mechanics. Our Creta, thankfully, hasn't given us too much trouble but the Grand i10 has been a pain in the back. Just so many issues and equally bad service support. One minor issue takes them forever to fix (if at all it gets fixed). Seriously, other than regular servicing, they know little about their own cars. Apart from up-selling their so called "value added" products and services, all they care about is the ratings and they don't expect anything less than 10/10, regardless of how bad their services are.

Just like you mentioned, I too hope that they don't become another Skoda with good products with horrible after sales service. Not buying another Hyundai again. Ever!
Col Mehta is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 14:02   #4
BHPian

Sad to read that Naveen

Hyundai has this issue of quality of workmanship and insisting on perfect feedback.

In fact i also had a very bad experience when i went to Modi Hyundai in Goregaon for my regular service and steering issue. They handed me over the car saying all resolved but the car steering was not aligned and very hard and when confronted to my shock they told me that my vehicle was not declared road worthy and was erroneously handed over to me by the eager SA who has to meet his service targets. SO much for Quality service by them.

Hyundai makes some very good cars for Indian roads but the quality of service leaves much to be desired and this fetish about 10/10 score... i do not know. Last call i gave them 2/10 and am sure it would have not been recorded so.
nkghai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 17:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well yes I’ve recently experienced this fetish for 10/10 are hyundai during a body shop depot job. The SA had guts to ask for 10/10 even though the work was far from satisfactory- I got them to redo the entire thing due to shade mismatch. And then they made me wait for 75 minutes during delivery as car was not washed. This when the SA has said that the car would be ready the previous day evening. Overall I found their attitude careless. So many minor things were pointed out by me which should have been taken care of by the SA. This was at Modi Hyundai, Bhandup, Mumbai.

Last edited by AkMar : 12th June 2018 at 17:19. Reason: Added points
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 18:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
3) Pushing for accessories - This happens every time I go there. Since Creta was pretty much loaded, they try to push for the vinyl carpet. As for the i10, it was the underbody coating, paint protection, vinyl flooring etc. Nowadays, when the SA is allotted, I do point out not to push for accessories and skip wheel alignment/balancing. I totally understand that it's their duty to push for accessories, but giving more importance to that rather hearing issues/complaints pointed out by the customer is absurd.
One thing with Hyundai that i absolutely hate when compared to my other brand car. They push accessories only and are very less bothered about the actual service to be carried out on the car.

Just today I took our Xcent for service (at Popular, but not Cochin) - and the executive pushed for Monsoon rust coating, underbody coating, silencer coating (if not full underbody), engine coating, battery terminal coating, a/c vent germ cleaning, painting (for minor scratches), polishing and what not!

Asked them if its from 3M and they happily nodded yes. Told them they offer even more packages, but I'm interested in none of it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th June 2018 at 18:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 21:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just today I took our Xcent for service (at Popular, but not Cochin) - and the executive pushed for Monsoon rust coating, underbody coating, silencer coating (if not full underbody), engine coating, battery terminal coating, a/c vent germ cleaning, painting (for minor scratches), polishing and what not!

But if you refuse everything, they will probably just wash the car and hand it back to you. I always opt for full interior cleaning and shampooing - because this is genuinely useful and not something you can do at home. 6 or 12 months of dust & grime is taken care of.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 23:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

That touch up job is preposterous I would not have paid a single paisa for that. I can do that myself if you hand me paint and brush in my bedroom, tell me to close my eyes and walk all the way to the garage and touch up the car with my eyes still closed. That too plain white paint. Please please take the car to a decent car denting/painting shop. Not even a big independant garage or one with proper equipment either. Just a simple roadside denting/painting shop with an enthusiastic fellow in it will do. You might even pass a couple of shops next time you are on your way to any place, just stop and spend a few minutes. Plain white paint like that is the easiest thing to touch up no great expertise or equipment is needed. It pains me to see you put up with such service please never go there again. Getting routine service for your car is just something you will probably end up needing to do once a year. For that once a year, can't you give it to the best service center in town? If you inquire, they might even be able to schedule a pickup and drop service. As it is with so many followups for frankly quite silly issues, it is taking more time than you might have saved by going to the closest service center.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th June 2018 at 23:09.
IshaanIan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 23:30   #9
BHPian

Sorry if I sound like the devil's advocate, but most SA's in all dealerships are extremely overworked. They have brutal targets that conflict with the interest of customers, too many cars to handle, umpteen calls to answer and awfully tight work days. The results are inevitable.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 12th June 2018 at 23:44.
petroguzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 23:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That touch up job is preposterous I would not have paid a single paisa for that. I can do that myself if you hand me paint and brush in my bedroom, tell me to close my eyes and walk all the way to the garage and touch up the car with my eyes still closed. That too plain white paint.
Hey hold on I will die laughing.

BTW I am shocked this is done by an authorized service center. This is the worst paint job I have ever seen on a car. Not sure who is the genius behind this but OP should have clicked his picture and sent for "Stupid of the year award". Sometimes I feel such instances hurt the sentiments of car owners making them helpless in front of such morons.
roby_dk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 09:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: June 12th

The thread goes live on 12th June morning and I leave the TeamBHP link in the google listings (google rating). Wife gets a call from the HASS in the evening asking her to bring the car. She said "absolutely no chance of me coming there. You guys pick up the car on Sunday and replace the panel". (although he showed a bit of attitude when the conversation started, he calmed down as my wife's tone wasn't bad either ). He confirmed they have received the part. God knows what part it is. She also asked them to rectify the gear issue. He said all issues will be rectified. Shall post once I see some updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post

Just like you mentioned, I too hope that they don't become another Skoda with good products with horrible after sales service. Not buying another Hyundai again. Ever!
Very true. We love both these cars but the service is letting us down. They always try to show that they know everything. I seriously hope they (Hyundai) step in and sort this out. Like you, I wouldn't recommend Hyundai, atleast in Cochin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Sad to read that Naveen

Hyundai has this issue of quality of workmanship and insisting on perfect feedback.
Yes, I remember reading your ordeal. Sad that these guys are not competent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Well yes I’ve recently experienced this fetish for 10/10 are hyundai during a body shop depot job. The SA had guts to ask for 10/10 even though the work was far from satisfactory- I got them to redo the entire thing due to shade mismatch. And then they made me wait for 75 minutes during delivery as car was not washed. This when the SA has said that the car would be ready the previous day evening. Overall I found their attitude careless. So many minor things were pointed out by me which should have been taken care of by the SA. This was at Modi Hyundai, Bhandup, Mumbai.
Ah, I experience this always (atleast some 5 times till now) - car not ready when I reach, last minute wash, read the same old magazine in the lounge .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One thing with Hyundai that i absolutely hate when compared to my other brand car. They push accessories only and are very less bothered about the actual service to be carried out on the car.
I start the conversation by saying - No accessories, no wheel alignment/balancing, no washing. And I keep saying that I have a better place to wash the car. They have given me a lot of vouchers for a free wash but I happily declined them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I always opt for full interior cleaning and shampooing - because this is genuinely useful and not something you can do at home. 6 or 12 months of dust & grime is taken care of.
I guess it's always better to go to guys who specialize in this (like 3M etc). Anyways, the HASS out here use this glue like lotion to clean the interior. It's very slippery and over a period of time it attracts a lot of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That touch up job is preposterous I would not have paid a single paisa for that.
I didn't pay anything for this. Touchup was free. When we asked the SA to retouch the second time, he said paint is very expensive so there's a limit (what he really meant was - there's a limit for availing something for free. LOL). I had repainted the door and the finish was rough. That's the reason why I didn't repaint it from them. If it's a repaint, I will take it to a FNG that I recently found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Sorry if I sound like the devil's advocate, but most SA's in all dealerships are extremely overworked. They have brutal targets that conflict with the interest of customers, too many cars to handle, umpteen calls to answer and awfully tight work days. The results are inevitable.
True in some case. That's why I mentioned in my original post - "The problem lies in the root itself and needs a complete overhaul of the system to make it perfect".The senior most guys need to improve. To give an example, I had given the Innova for service and you can imagine the kind of rush at the TASS. Expected some "Attitude loaded SA" to arrive but was amazed with the entire experience. Also had to replace the ORVM indicator. Although the part was expensive (Always had this feeling that Toyota maintenance was cheap - Parts are bit expensive but labor was reasonable). Car was ready by 4PM and it was a very good experience. Something that I last experience when I had the Ecosport and yet to see from Hyundai.

To point out my comment - It's the commitment or interest that matters the most. If you do it with interest, it doesn't matter if you have numerous customers per day or phone ringing non-stop, the end result would leave both the SA and customer satisfied. Something I saw in Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Hey hold on I will die laughing.

BTW I am shocked this is done by an authorized service center. This is the worst paint job I have ever seen on a car. Not sure who is the genius behind this but OP should have clicked his picture and sent for "Stupid of the year award". Sometimes I feel such instances hurt the sentiments of car owners making them helpless in front of such morons.
I know and won't expect the touchup to be perfect but this was something worse than a kids attempt. Ford's after sales service was so much better compared to this. But if it goes this way, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyundai's sales chart going down. After just a day, I see few members already expressing that they wouldn't buy/recommend Hyundai.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 13th June 2018 at 09:39.
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 10:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ah, I experience this always (atleast some 5 times till now) - car not ready when I reach, last minute wash, read the same old magazine in the lounge
Not only that, in my case the ORVM cover was to be repainted. The workshop guys fitted a cover from different car with a different colour on my car. When pointed out, they started putting forward arguments like minor differences do happen and so on. Only when I told them the exact name of colour which they had used, they accepted the mistake. I guess I should do a separate post on this
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 12:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Not only that, in my case the ORVM cover was to be repainted. The workshop guys fitted a cover from different car with a different colour on my car. When pointed out, they started putting forward arguments like minor differences do happen and so on. Only when I told them the exact name of colour which they had used, they accepted the mistake. I guess I should do a separate post on this
Been there, done that . I had to change the ORVM cover as well. Gave the cash in advance and I had to wait for a month for it to arrive. Gave the car for service and when I got the car back, the shade was different. I guess more than 1 month is enough to get it painted. I had to come another day to get it painted. You can see the details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4222521

Guess I have experienced all the worst possible scenarios that you guys pointed out .
Old 13th June 2018, 14:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't pay anything for this. Touchup was free. When we asked the SA to retouch the second time, he said paint is very expensive so there's a limit (what he really meant was - there's a limit for availing something for free. LOL). I had repainted the door and the finish was rough. That's the reason why I didn't repaint it from them. If it's a repaint, I will take it to a FNG that I recently found.
Plain white cars are supposed to be the easiest to maintain. Touchup jobs are also really easy to do with plain white cars and most of the time, people will not be able to notice that a touchup has been done even if you tell them which panels were scratched. Apart from the fact that white absorbs less heat, this is also one of the major reasons why most people opt for plain white cars in India as it is very rarely that you would need to repaint a whole panel. Long back when my friend and I were younger (and a lot more stupid) and zipping on the roads, he met with a minor altercation in his Laura. We took it to a roadside denting/painting shop with a chap that spoke to us for way too long, but in the end all the minor dents and scratches were touched up and to this day his Father (ex rally driver) has not noticed anything wrong with the car Be it an Alto or a Fiesta or a Laura or even a Fortuner, as long as it is not pearlescent, and is just the bog standard plain white paint, it should be the easiest when it comes to maintaining. Heck there's no need to even think about colour matching or which brand of paint is being used even.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th June 2018 at 14:35.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 07:10   #15
BHPian

9 years back when I got my new Hyundai i10, I had the misfortune of my wife having an accident with an auto on the 2nd day of ownership. Fender was dented in.

Gave it to Trident Hyundai (Seshadripuram) the very next day. It took them about 5 days to repaint. The first time I went to collect it, there was a long drip mark on the fender. I refused to take delivery. Finally after another 5 more days they did it properly. (Incidentally this was a white car - non pearlescent).

After that, as long as there are no spare parts to be replaced ( in the above case, bumper clips had to be replaced), I give it to my FNG paint shop on Ulsoor Road (Classic Auto - owner is Ahmed). He does a really good job (BMWs etc come and once I saw a Lambo too which he was touching up). If there are parts to be changed, suggest you do it at the service center because the FNG will do some "jugaad" like screwing the bumpers in instead of using clips.

Now for minor scratches and an occasional polish, I go to Classic auto. He's 2 minutes away and even drops the car back in my apartment building.

@naveen.raju - did the Hyundai CC finally replace the cowl molding where they had scratched it with a screwdriver?

If not - another thing I did recently was to go to the Hyundai worldwide site (Korea) and go to this link:

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/footer/contact-us

You will be surprised how fast the service center will call you. I did it recently for an issue on my Elite i20. Dealer came back "crying" in 2 hours and asked me why I escalated. After that things moved very fast.

Apparently when it goes to Korea, even India Customer Care wakes up and takes notice.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2018 at 16:57. Reason: Merging back to back posts
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks