Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2018, 14:49   #1

Plaza Hyundai (Delhi) - Horrible experience buying a Verna

I made my booking for a Verna (Red, SXO, AT, Petrol) on June 25 by making a payment of Rs. 20,000.

I was told that the car would be delivered within 4 weeks. I was getting a financing of Rs. 10,00,000. I wanted to get the financing done through SBI as they have no penalty for pre-closure. SBI’s loan offer was 9.45% so I rejected their offer and got the loan done through another PSU bank. Plaza Hyundai rep never followed up on the loan application status assuming that I would take up SBI’s offer. After 5 days when he followed up, I said that I have got my loan sanctioned from another bank as SBI was turning out to be expensive. He initially tried to push another PSU bank for getting the loan to which I told him that my loan is already sanctioned.

Final offer including exchange bonus and corporate discount was Rs. 13,49,000 on road (not sure if they would even agree to honor this commitment if they ever delivery this car as I missed taking the quote in writing).

Once Plaza Hyundai got to know that my loan was not being done through in-house channels they started asking me to pay at least 50% of the car price as the color I was asking for unique and rare for them to place an order with Hyundai (50% Rule). Apparently, the 50% Rule was applicable to red and black cars. Just to clarify, I was never informed of this when I was making the booking.

After I refused to make any further payments until I see the car, the sales rep (Pankaj) told me that GM, Sales (Kingshuk) wanted to meet me. I met him and he restated the 50% Rule. He further said that why don’t you give me the loan amount (Rs. 10L) and I will ensure that the car gets delivered by month-end. I asked him a simple question- would ever hand-over loan money to a 3rd party without seeing the asset that you have taken the loan against? He obviously did not respond to this.

The next 2 weeks I have followed up through Sales Rep (Pankaj) who was first on a holiday and then was too busy to return calls.

I escalated this through Hyundai’s call centre. They got me on a con-call with Plaza’s CRM head (Ashmeet). She assured me on July 16 that the car would be delivered to me between July 25 – 30. She too stated the 50% Rule to which I said, show me the car and I will make the payment. I visited Plaza Hyundai again on July 17 to check-in with Kingshuk and after checking on availability said that red is not available, however, you can go with white or silver. I said thank you but no thank you, please cancel my booking. I am glad that I am not doing business with you guys. (FYI – there is a Rs. 3,000 cancellation charges).

My last con- call with Hyundai and Ashmeet took place on July 17 when I requested them to please shift my booking to another dealership who can actually delivery the car to me.

Will update this thread with further developments.

PS-I made the booking amount payment through credit card and I was being charged 2% over and above the amount which I got reversed. My plan was to make the balance payment (On road minus loan amount) through my card again and would have had to fight again then as the 2% would have been charged then again (I would have less bargaining power then).

PPS-Its sad that my first post on this forum is a rant. However, as someone who is ready to part with million plus bucks, it is wrong for me to expect better service than this?
Attached Thumbnails
Plaza Hyundai (Delhi) - Horrible experience buying a Verna-booking-amount.jpeg  

Plaza Hyundai (Delhi) - Horrible experience buying a Verna-booking-form.jpeg  

prashantroy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 15:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Plaza Hyundai (Delhi) - Horrible experience buying a Verna

Can't do much about dealership antics unfortunately given the absolute lack of consumer protection in this country, but you absolutely did the right thing by standing your ground about not paying without seeing the car.

Buying inventory is the dealer's problem, not yours, and if they think the color/trim you're asking for is too much hassle for them to arrange, you're better advised to move to another dealer.

The silver lining in all this, you're at least not buying a rare car with dealers hard to find. Move elsewhere and enjoy your purchase, not get harassed while spending a million+ rupees.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 15:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantroy View Post
I made my booking for a Verna (Red, SXO...
Black is a colour that generally requires a hefty (often non refundable) amount to be deposited with the dealer before being ordered. Their reasoning is simple, it is a non moving colour (primarily because of superstition) and therefore would be dead stock if the customer backs out at the last minute. Also, dealers say that black cars are prone to scratches while in transit and that's also one reason they are reluctant to order them.

Red isn't like that. The dealer is just bluffing you. Move away to a different one please.

Welcome on board!
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 15:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Black is a colour that generally requires a hefty (often non refundable) amount to be deposited with the dealer before being ordered. Their reasoning is simple, it is a non moving colour (primarily because of superstition) and therefore would be dead stock if the customer backs out at the last minute. Also, dealers say that black cars are prone to scratches while in transit and that's also one reason they are reluctant to order them.

Red isn't like that. The dealer is just bluffing you. Move away to a different one please.

Welcome on board!
I am being penalized (INR 3k is cancellation charges) for no fault of mine if I cancel. I am still in discussions with Hyundai so see if my booking can be moved. Not sure if that's even an option.

Hoping to contribute more to the board!
prashantroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 21:46   #5
BHPian

The dealership experience at Hyundai is on a rapid decline and so is the fuss free ownership experience. I can tell you this with full conviction and responsibility as I have had many Hyundai cars from Hyundai Motor Plaza which is now Plaza Hyundai.

Now if buying is such an issue, imagine the after sale service.

ASS is also on a steep decline and every Hyundai dealer will try and force the extra's like Cowl cleaning, silencer coating, chrome polish etc down your throat. This will leave you with even bitter experience every time you will visit them.

Whenever we see an official review we read "Hyundai's competent after sales experience". I am quite confident that their dealers are hard bend to ensure that our moderators start using "Hyundai's after sales service quality is a hit or miss.

This line will certainly see replacement very soon and the day is not far.

Lastly, my advise is think of a different car from a different dealer.
mints21 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 10:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Plaza Hyundai (Delhi) - Horrible experience buying a Verna

Quote:
I was told that the car would be delivered within 4 weeks.
Extremely sorry for your experience. A million rupee purchase experience should never be like this! My local vegetable seller will allow me to inspect each and every piece of fruit I buy, takes card payment (no 2% charge) and if I tell him the fruits were sour the next day, he gives me a free lot of fruits. Car dealerships must give good service to customers.

Unfortunately, the fault is with us (customers). As an ex-salesman, I can say for sure that 99.9% customers were just not bothered about the finer aspects of a car purchase. Since most of the clients were from the rural side, the dealership was forced to uphold its word - reason being if you left them dissatisfied, you could expect a truckload of friends and family of the person who was given a commitment but not delivered on time.

Sadly, most of us here are a bunch of decent chaps and we would never take matters in our own hands. For this reason alone, I always recommend dealing with any car showroom using email only - especially for stuff related to money and commitments. And specify the terms and conditions (like PDI) beforehand itself.

Quote:
PPS-Its sad that my first post on this forum is a rant. However, as someone who is ready to part with million plus bucks, it is wrong for me to expect better service than this?
There are some ways to remedy this. The biggest tool you have is your word of mouth / social media and this post. Do write to Hyundai customer care and tell them your predicament.

Ask a couple of friends to enquire at this dealers as prospective customers and after a couple of test drives, showroom visits, ask them to talk about the bad experience of a customer (you) to the salesman. Sooner or later, this will reach the upper management and nothing is worst than bad publicity.

Other option is to go to another dealer and share your predicament. They would be more than happy to get a customer and might even provide you a good discount to cover the money you lost at Plaza Hyundai (booking cancellation, 2% charge, etc.).

Always remember, customer is the king, and if a seller is not willing to work on your terms and conditions, just take your business elsewhere. There are many others who will be willing to work with you.
blackwasp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 10:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I am being penalized (INR 3k is cancellation charges) for no fault of mine if I cancel. I am still in discussions with Hyundai so see if my booking can be moved. Not sure if that's even an option.

Hoping to contribute more to the board!
AFAIK having worked with a dealership before I can tell you that the cancellation charges is just a "deterrent" so that you don't cancel the booking and 3K is anyway a profit without actual sale. It's not like they are preparing something exclusively for you. Is it a customized Rolls-Royce that you asked for? No!

Don't worry and fight for that 3K stupid cancellation charge.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 11:13   #8
BANNED

Deja Vu?

Why I am reading my own experience for Hyundai Verna, though different city and different dealer .

For me it was 3 week delivery. My story was exactly same as yours one. Only change was that while raising ticket with Hyundai customer care I asked to escalate to local office instead of conference call with dealer.

Final status for me after 8 weeks of booking is the car in dealer's Yard and RTO is having all the fun .

My suggestion would be to ask them to cancel the booking over email and mention that the cancellation fee wont applicable to you as it is the dealer who failed to provide the car in agreed time. Ask them to process your refund within 3 working days or pay interest on booking amount. Copy that email to Hyundai CC. Also ask them over email to point out the exact clause in booking booklet which states the 50% rule. In mean time, you can tell your SA over phone that you may pay some down payment (whatever amount you are comfortable with) after they order your car and provide you with the chassis and engine number.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

Sadly, most of us here are a bunch of decent chaps and we would never take matters in our own hands. For this reason alone, I always recommend dealing with any car showroom using email only - especially for stuff related to money and commitments. And specify the terms and conditions (like PDI) beforehand itself.

Always remember, customer is the king, and if a seller is not willing to work on your terms and conditions, just take your business elsewhere. There are many others who will be willing to work with you.

This is the most important point I may say. Majority of the dealers won’t respond to emails, but a one-sided email while not contradicted can hold its ground. In my case, after every discussion with any person with the dealership, I made a point to send them the minutes over email.

Secondly, I feel it is a game of patience. We need to show the dealer it is the customer who is on charge and not dealer. I let them know that 3k won’t matter much to me, but they must be getting a much higher profit if they sell the Verna and customer goodwill is something they can’t afford to lose.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 18th July 2018 at 11:34. Reason: Removing [FONT] tags
PetrolRider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 12:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Even I am receiving poor service from Hyundai as I am keen on testing the sxo petrol automatic as a potential car for my family but Hyundai dealerships here keep telling me that as petrol automatic is not a high seller, they don't have a test drive vehicle itself. On top of that, I get calls every other day asking "sir when are you planning for it" to which I keep saying first let me test drive the car then ask such questions. Seems like the company itself reflects the dealers attitude if they all are saying the same thing.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 13:23   #10
BHPian

This is horrible for Hyundai! First, the cancellation charge is absurd and is applicable without any fault of yours! And 50% rule is the first time I've heard it.

Better move to another dealership in Delhi. If you have again have issues, move to another manufacturer. Although car sales are on the rise in India, the ownership experience is taking an unfortunate U-Turn.
typlo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 17:29   #11

Cancelled my booking with Plaza Hyundai.
prashantroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 18:44   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Cancelled my booking with Plaza Hyundai.
Good decision.

What about the cancellation charges? Reimbursed?

What next?
Old 21st July 2018, 22:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good decision.

What about the cancellation charges? Reimbursed?

What next?
They waived the cancellation charges as the car was not available. So full reimbursement. Hyundai is the big looser here IMHO.
prashantroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 13:47   #14

Plaza Hyundai, Mohan cooperative, Mathura Road, New Delhi, is situated near to place where I am living today. I had visited this showroom a number of times and found all salesmen busy in dealing with people. When I shown interest in Verna, one of their sales persons just after showing me the car, started putting pressure for early booking. Anyhow, I managed to get rid of him that time, but it was very difficult to check-in their showroom next time, because I noticed that merely watching a car will not allow you to be there for a long time unless you express your views of the model and probable date of buying a car. They would insist you for filling a form with your details and mobile number. They will start calling you from next day itself making your life worst. After making two visits, I blocked their numbers and now I am waiting for the New Ciaz to be launched in next month to take a final call.
Old 29th July 2018, 23:00   #15
BHPian

I'm in a similar situation, I have made a booking for Creta from Trident Hyundai Bangalore. However, only order form has been signed but no payment has been made so far. I have also applied loan of 60% from SBI and have told the dealership that all money will be settled upon sanctioning of the loan. The sanction letter is expected tomorrow and I will need to make the remaining down payment by then. The dealer is insisting, he cannot allot the car in my name until full payment is made. The plan is to make complete payment tomorrow (30th July) and get the car registered on Tuesday (31st July). Im expecting delivery by 15th Aug. I'm bit nervous at the moment, since I've not seen the car and dealer claims its available in stock yard which is around 40kms away from where I live.

Also there are no current offers running on new Creta, however when I negotiated hard I was given a near 50% discount on insurance premium. SA said he's worked out the best deal after considering the 35% NCB from my existing car policy that I just sold. I'm getting insurance done thru dealer to get Hyundai Assurance benefits.

Also observe the difference in calculation on Customer Order Form and Order Booking form.

Does it smell anything fishy here ?
Attached Thumbnails
Plaza Hyundai (Delhi) - Horrible experience buying a Verna-img_20180729_230939.jpg  

Plaza Hyundai (Delhi) - Horrible experience buying a Verna-img_20180729_230843.jpg  

Last edited by sary : 29th July 2018 at 23:20. Reason: Sanitized Images
sary is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks