Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2018, 14:52   #1
BANNED

Pune: RTO suspends trade licences of 11 automobile dealers for delivering cars without registration

Came across the following NEWS article on Pune mirror yesterday. As per the article, Pune RTO took action and suspended licences of 11 dealers for delivering new vehicles without registration process. The dealerships were sent show-cause notices. As satisfactory responses were not presented, licences were suspended for a period of 7 days, from 13th July.

I might be wrong, but I find it quiet amusing that the article published on the supposed date of expiration of those suspension order. Unfortunately, my dealer is also in the list and this caused my car registration process delayed by one good week. This compels me to think, exactly whom RTO penalized .

The dealership did offer me to get the delivery without registration. But, I stuck to the fact that delivery only after registration process. Now, the dealer was capable in hiding the fact that, they have gotten themselves suspended. They informed me there is a delay from RTO side and I accepted it largely due to tremendous reputation that Pune RTO carries.

My point is, if I would have gotten the car without a registration, I would have enjoyed the new car and got my registration done after 15 days. Now, just for my eagerness to follow law, I am without a car for 15 days. I seriously doubt any impact on the dealers, but for sure law abiding citizens are penalized.

I, though support penalizing dealerships for not following law, but the genius minds at our RTO raised my respect by messing up the whole matter again.

Curious to know what BHPians think about this.

Quote:
The Regional Transport Office (RTO) has suspended trade licences of 11automobile dealers in the city for rolling out vehicles without valid registration numbers. The move was initiated after complaints started coming in about vehicles hitting the roads without even temporary registration numbers. The dealers were earlier issued show-cause notices after which their licences have been suspended, said the officials.

The dealers were found delivering vehicles from luxury cars to auto rickshaws and two-wheelers without registration numbers, not even temporary ones. The trade licence of these 11 defaulting automobile dealers has been suspended by the RTO for a period of seven days. The action against the dealers has been taken by the RTO under section 44 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989
Source

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2018 at 15:27. Reason: Adding excerpt from online article :)
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 15:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune: RTO suspends trade licences of 11 automobile dealers for delivering cars without registration

Here is Bangalore thank's to computerized process things are much better and most of the process can be done online. Only sampling is used for physical checks at RTO. Helps with speedy process and deliveries. A similar system should take care of all the concerns.

Our RTO department process need a complete redesign for sure, but having said that i would not take delivery of a vehicle unless it is registered, due to the simple fact that it is illegal to do so.

As far as penalizing is concerned, time = money, so suspension might be a way to knock some sense into these rogue dealers. I assume fine would follow.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 15:33   #3
BHPian

But why is there no streamlining of such basic systems across the country. In Chandigarh, IIRC, the dealer never get the cars registered. They provide you with a temporary number and owners get their cars registered themselves with no issues. Also, it isn't related to this particular topic, but Chandigarh RLA supposedly also charges road tax on ex-showroom price only. I think this point has been covered before over here as well.
Old 25th July 2018, 15:30   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pune: RTO suspends trade licences of 11 automobile dealers for delivering cars without registrat

They were delivering vehicles without even temporary plates. Illegal to run these vehicles on the road, not to mention insurance ineligibility if there is an accident / theft. Because the dealers didn't mend their ways after the showcause notices makes me badge them as willful defaulters. 1 week is too less - they should have gotten at least a 3 to 6 month suspension. That would have ensured no dealer would have the guts to do this ever again.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 15:46   #5
BANNED

Re: Pune: RTO suspends trade licences of 11 automobile dealers for delivering cars without registrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They were delivering vehicles without even temporary plates. Illegal to run these vehicles on the road, not to mention insurance ineligibility if there is an accident / theft. Because the dealers didn't mend their ways after the showcause notices makes me badge them as willful defaulters. 1 week is too less - they should have gotten at least a 3 to 6 month suspension. That would have ensured no dealer would have the guts to do this ever again.

My SA almost pleaded with me to take delivery before registration . That was 3 days before the ban (that means after they were served with the show cause notice). Somehow, being a member of T-Bhp helps me sure footed of taking delivery only after plates fixed.

By the way, I feel a financial penalty would have been more direct. Consider my case here, my registration process (hence delivery too) got a week delayed because of this. If that would have been a month penalty, I would have been more sufferer only.

I was thinking in line of re-registration process where a fine is levied for each month after expiry of NOC. They can make it mandatory to submit all payment receipts for registration process and levy a fine if there is subsequent delay in registration.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 25th July 2018 at 15:48.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks