Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2018, 16:43   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Skoda showroom steals electricity worth Rs. 14 lakhs! Heak Auto @ Nashik

Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sharing the news with us via this Team-BHP page!

I don't know why Skoda showrooms always find themselves in a mess, but here goes...

Full Maharashtra Times Article (Marathi)

English Translation:
Quote:
Title: Skoda showroom steals electricity worth Rs. 14 lakhs

By tampering with the electric meter, the Skoda showroom at Rane Nagar has stolen 67,213 units of electricity worth Rs. 14,24,210 over the last 16 months. Due to this, the Vigilance Department of Mahavitaran (MSEDCL) has lodged a complaint at the Nasik Road Police Station.

On July 13, a team lead by Mr. Vijay Kale (Additional Executive Engineer) and Mr. A. G. Chavan (Assistant Engineer) along with Mr. D. G. Pendore (Junior Engineer) and Mr. L. M. Sonawane (Junior Technician) raided the premises of the Skoda showroom located near Alco Market and observed that the meter was running slow.

In the presence of the electricity consumer - Mr. Owais Elias Khatri and user Mr. Anis Elias Khatri, the Vigilance Department has taken possession of the showroom's electric meter and sent it to the electric meter testing department at Panchak. In the investigation, it was found that electricity was stolen by tampering with the basic composition of the meter. This theft was conducted over the last 16 months. In this period, Mr. Anis Khatri stole approximately 67,213 units of electricity and duped Mahavitaran of Rs. 14,24,210.

Therefore, the Vigilance Department of Mahavitaran has lodged a complaint against the duo with the police.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2018 at 09:06. Reason: As per RP
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 17:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda showroom steals electricity worth Rs. 14 lakhs! Heak Auto @ Nashik

Skoda higher ups should consider consulting an Astrologer . On a different note, among the first 10 recently updated thread under Indian Car Dealership, 5 are from Hyundai . May be somebody highlighted this to Skoda.

Last edited by PrideRed : 1st August 2018 at 17:16.
PrideRed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 17:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps this was a precondition to get the dealership from Skoda.
androdev is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is dealership name withheld on request or is it fine to reveal it?
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda showroom steals electricity worth Rs. 14 lakhs! Heak Auto @ Nashik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Is dealership name withheld on request or is it fine to reveal it?
You know me, no? Do you think I ever withhold anything? I'm not known to pull any punches - news article was copied as is. Anyway, googled up Skoda Nashik and there is only one dealer there. Added to the title.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2018 at 11:48. Reason: typo
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know me, no? Do you think I ever withdraw anything? I'm not known to pull any punches - news article was copied as is. Anyway, googled up Skoda Nashik and there is only one dealer there. Added to the title.
People keep saying "stealership" when talking about unethical practices by dealers - but in this case, truly literal! Never heard the like before.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quite unfortunate that this is a Skoda dealership - Skoda would have had little role (?) to play here, but will find it's name besmirched further.

This highlights how businesses frequently under-estimate the scope when assessing Risks. I'm certain that SKODA would have assessed Risks introduced by the Dealer(s) as part of their Operational, Reputational and Financial Risk assessments, but it's clear that either -
1. the multitude of risks weren't brought out enough, or
2. the controls were not tested for their adequacy, or
3. the controls were not being tested for their efficacy on a regular basis, or
4. no one at Skoda was performing independent assurance of the testing

This case elicits the difficulty that any large company faces in governing the entire life-cycle of it's business (partners, vendors, customers) effectively, and why it needs to be done better in house (and not just outsourced to the consultants - who basically do nothing)!
After all Skoda takes the reputational hit here, although they have very limited play in this, whereas Heak Auto, can go and simply start calling themselves Beak auto or whatever...

Last edited by roy_libran : 2nd August 2018 at 10:04.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know me, no?
Hence was surprised to find dealer name missing. Having dealer name since thread start would have resulted in better search engine hits.

Heak auto has had somewhat better service record compared to nearby city dealerships. Wonder why they had to resort to this or perhaps this was the underlying reason for their better service record.
To some extent, this reflects on bad policies from Skoda India and how their dealerships have to be innovative (unethical would be wrong word here ) in order to maintain/improve their profit margins.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

sales man: Boss - we have been tampering with ODO meters of TD cars for so long. Lets do something different.

Boss: Can you take a look at the electricity meter and give it a shot ?

sales man: Boss - I cracked it ! runs slow now !

Boss: Good show. you are my next accountant
narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 13:58   #10
BHPian

Very unfortunate and sad. This again proves that biggest thefts are commited by the affluent. The electricity boards may be crying hoarsely that free electricity to farmers are causing losses, whos power requirements are less and power supply erratic. While power requirements of affluent and industry is far bigger, so is theirs propensity for crime. The affluent have the means, network and need for energy thefts. Should be punished severely.

Most Viewed