Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:36   #1
BHPian

Bad experience buying a Tata Nexon from Bafna Motors, Pune

Hello all,

After good 8 years of service by my 4x4 Vx Safari Dicor, when I decided to buy a new car, I pretty quickly zeroed-in on Nexon. After some test drives with Concorde and Bafna, I liked Bafna. They were very forthcoming in making Nexon models available for test drives. Next came the price bargain. Me veteran of car buying experience, perhaps struck a very good deal. I also made spot payment of full amount with their promise of delivery within 3 days. They gave a so called 'commitment form'. In which the price and my payment was clearly mentioned and no other payment was due.

Good part ends there. Now the sordid part-

Next day after the booking, they told me RTO people are on strike and car will not be delivered for next 5-6 days. It was actually 13th day after booking, the delivery day arrived. In between there was an SMS of insurance commencement. Which I did not like as insurance should actually start on the day of delivery. Similarly there was an SMS from Tata service. That means I lost few days of warranty too. I did not complain.

On the day of delivery, I thought it will be quick delivery as I had already made payment in full. But, when I arrived there along with my wife, they told me that I owe them Rs 6000. When I asked why, they told me there is a change in insurance amount of Rs 2500 as per govt mandate. They gave some calculations for Rs 3500- to which my reply was you agreed to certain price in writing and there is no change in invoice price. They practically told me that remaining 3500 I just have to pay as i bargained too hard!! At this point it became ugly. The sales lead became louder and louder. To respond I became even more louder. People started gathering tried intervening as if it was a street fight and finally their manager emerged.

Now the mellow part-

I told the manager that I consider this extortion. If the money was due why did they wait till delivery? They think in excitement, I will pay anything?

Finally, I agreed to pay Rs 2500 for the insurance and walked out with my car. The excitement of buying car was all gone.

I am amazed what these car dealers think they can get away with? Striking deals just to meet numbers and backing out or extorting money at the time of delivery?

Please be careful if you buy car from Bafna Motors, Law college Road, Pune
akmits_bhp is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bad experience buying a Tata Nexon from Bafna Motors, Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmits_bhp View Post
.. they told me that I owe them Rs 6000. When I asked why, they told me there is a change in insurance amount of Rs 2500 as per govt mandate. ..
Terrible experience to have on D-day, really sorry to hear that.

Can you post the breakup of Insurance cost you finally ended up paying? By breakup I mean premium for OD, 3rd party, add-ons etc.?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Can you post the breakup of Insurance cost you finally ended up paying? By breakup I mean premium for OD, 3rd party, add-ons etc.?
  • IDV 902,881
  • Basic Cover 8893
  • Addon 3310 (perhaps zero dep?)
  • Third Party 9534
  • PA cover for owner driver 2250 (perhaps this was added later)
  • PA for 5 passenger 750
  • Cover for legal driver 150 (or was it this? and they charged 2500!)
  • 18% GST
  • Total 29367

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2018 at 07:24.
akmits_bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Total 29367
Curious to know if you sold your Safari just before, or even 3 months prior to buying the Nexon. If yes, you could've taken advantage of the no-claim bonus, if it was available on your earlier vehicle. That would've saved you good money. I learned about this in this forum itself, which saved me around 50% in the insurance quote, while swapping our Safari Dicor with the Storme. And since the "exchange" was done at the TASS, I asked them to get me the insurance only post the completion of the RTO and insurance transfer to the new owner, which they took care of, and did to my satisfaction. Regards.
dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IDV 902,881
Basic Cover 8893
Addon 3310 (perhaps zero dep?)
Third Party 9534
PA cover for owner driver 2250 (perhaps this was added later)
PA for 5 passenger 750
Cover for legal driver 150 (or was it this? and they charged 2500!)
18% GST
Total 29367
1. Third party Rs. 9534/-
Has the rule of 3years gone for toss?

2. PA cover for owner driver- Rs. 2250/-
I thought it is fixed Rs. 750/- (for cover of Rs. 1500000/-). Or the cover is for Rs. 4500000/- in this case.

3. PA for 5 passengers- Rs. 750/-.
I dont understand this part in case of any car's insurance.
In this case the car is 5 seater. How is that all the occupants considered passengers and no driver?

Edit:- As bhpian dkamath said, did you not transfer your NCB of Safari if any to new Nexon?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 22nd November 2018 at 23:31. Reason: As above.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 02:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Terrible experience, these guys should be taken to court. Extortion is the right word that you have used.
Anyways, congratulations on your new car. Hope it serves you well and hope you get to forget this unfortunate event as soon as possible.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad experience buying a Tata Nexon from Bafna Motors, Pune

Quote:
But, when I arrived there along with my wife, they told me that I owe them Rs 6000. When I asked why, they told me there is a change in insurance amount of Rs 2500 as per govt mandate. They gave some calculations for Rs 3500- to which my reply was you agreed to certain price in writing and there is no change in invoice price. They practically told me that remaining 3500 I just have to pay as i bargained too hard!! At this point it became ugly. The sales lead became louder and louder. To respond I became even more louder. People started gathering tried intervening as if it was a street fight and finally their manager emerged.
This is a standard trick of many dealers to extort a couple of extra thousands at the last minute. They know that the full family comes in excitement, hence no one would want to create a scene. Some points:

1. I thought a commitment form was signed, agreeing on the total + final price?

2. What exactly was this extra charge for? Did you ask them about specifics? Was it the SC directive on 3rd-party insurance (link)?

3. The golden rule is to always buy your own insurance & to use your NCB .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • IDV 902,881
  • Basic Cover 8893
  • Addon 3310 (perhaps zero dep?)
  • Third Party 9534
  • PA cover for owner driver 2250 (perhaps this was added later)
  • PA for 5 passenger 750
  • Cover for legal driver 150 (or was it this? and they charged 2500!)
  • 18% GST
  • Total 29367
I think they failed to communicate well to you and handled the delivery day very poorly. But, overall, I don't think they have taken you for a ride. There are a few heads which need some clarification. You can sit with them and try to understand what they are about. Listing out some of the heads I can make sense of.

Third party - For Nexon it would fall at 2863 per year or 8589 for 3 years (as per the recent SC order). Attaching the third party premium order from IRDA.
PA cover for owner driver is now 750. (Coverage of 1,50,000). They charged you 2250 indicating this is for 3 years.
Cover for legal paid driver is 50. They charged you 150 indicating this is for 3 years.

Rest of the heads like Basic cover and add-on are dependent on the add-ons you choose or the IDV. So wouldn't comment on that.

Now the points that need clarification -
TP premium difference of 945 (9534 paid by you vs 8589 as mandated by IRDA)
What is PA for 5 passenger? 750

All in all, excess of ~1700 maybe. Try to talk to them to see how they justify this. Maybe they know something we don't.

Don't lose your sleep over it, enjoy the new car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motor Third Party Liability 2018-19.pdf (3.25 MB, 153 views)

Last edited by Dry Ice : 23rd November 2018 at 14:00.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Curious to know if you sold your Safari just before, or even 3 months prior to buying the Nexon. If yes, you could've taken advantage of the no-claim bonus, if it was available on your earlier vehicle. That would've saved you good money. I learned about this in this forum itself, which saved me around 50% in the insurance quote, while swapping our Safari Dicor with the Storme. And since the "exchange" was done at the TASS, I asked them to get me the insurance only post the completion of the RTO and insurance transfer to the new owner, which they took care of, and did to my satisfaction. Regards.

I had 50% NCB on Safari, which I plan to transfer to Nexon once previous company issues NCB. My previous policy was valid for 1 more month and I did not cancel it for the new owner to transfer. My insurance company said they will issue NCB only at the cancellation or end of policy term. I am not sure if he has done the transfer. Need to confirm. I have confirmed NCB is valid for 2 years and can be retro applied. I will keep you guys posted. Before purchase I had asked Bafna about applying NCB, his answer was that under the promotion I am paying Rs 0 for insurance and hennce NCB can not be applied. Not sure how true is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
1. Third party Rs. 9534/-
Has the rule of 3years gone for toss?
I do remember Bafna telling me that my insurance has 3 yrs 3rd party. Need to check
akmits_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 19:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do remember Bafna telling me that my insurance has 3 yrs 3rd party. Need to check

Were you able to get clarifications from the dealership and close this matter?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed