Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 16:06   #1
BHPian

BMW Gallops Autohaus (Ahmedabad) delivers a damaged & repainted 530i

Dear Friends,

Please help me in solving an issue that has come up with my Brand New 530i purchased from Gallops Autohaus - Ahmedabad.

I purchased and took delivery of the car on December 1st. day of my wife's birthday. After the initial euphoria where i drove her for about 600 Kms, she's parked at home under covered parking in the basement as I don't stay at home most of the time and work keeps me away from being able to use it on a more regular basis.

As I intend to keep the car for a longer period of time, on January 11th, I took the car to 3M for a Ceramic Coating treatment - as strongly suggested by Mr. Priyank Bhatnagar at the dealership. The only difference being that although the dealership was pushing me to go to another vendor called Autobell, I decided to stick to 3M due to positive past experiences.

Left the car at 3M for the treatment only for them to call me back to verify paint damage to the side of the vehicle. Taken by surprise, we immediately went back to 3M wherein they pointed out that a portion has a layer of paint missing and that seems repainted.

We contacted BMW dealership again and they showed up at 3M Prahladnagar saying that this is not a damage while threatening the 3M staff that they'll lose their job for pointing this out to us. When my nephew told them that we might escalate the issue to BMW Germany, the guy from BMW by the name of Atul, literally threatened him saying that "Fine. Aap Germany complaint kar do fir hum dekhte hain ki aapka kaam kaun karega" (Translated - Fine. Complain to BMW Germany. Let's see who'll do your repair work.)

BMW insisted that we bring the vehicle back to the dealership so that the technicians can take a look at it. Ensuring us that they're just getting someone to look at it, they applied rubbing and polish on the paint without our knowledge or consent within ten mins of the vehicle being on the property. I resisted and stopped the process midway and said that lets keep that on hold while we figure out the next course of action. I was worried that after rubbing and polishing, the entire evidence will be gone.

Meanwhile, 3M told me that they are getting calls from BMW stating that they should not have bought this to our notice in the first place and should have instead covered it up in such a way that they entire mark had disappeared. Further raises doubts about the genuineness of the dealership.

A small scratch of paint doesn't worry me. What does worry me is that who knows what kind of problems has the car gone through before being handed over to me.

To clarify my doubts, the dealership has sent me a vehicle report (image attached) from their system which clearly states that the vehicle was taken through a PDI process back on September 15th. According to the dealership, the PDI process was carried out to activate navigation and use the car as a show car on the floor in the showroom. Case in point, the car had protective stickers on it till before a few days of delivery. Why would a car need to go through PDI and washing with stickers intact just to activate Navigation ? Was it supposed to be handed over to someone else and they backed out when they realized there is a damage and they needed more time to fix it ? Was the rubbing applied on the vehicle to cover their back sides ? Lots of unanswered questions remain on my mind.

The owner of the dealership is refusing to accept any blame, either on the product or on the behavior of his staff.

The purpose of writing this thread is two faced. For starters, I would like people to know about the kind of practices that are followed in dealerships in our country. Second, I would love to have the more experienced people give me a suggestion about the kind of approach I should take from here on.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Gallops Autohaus (Ahmedabad) delivers a damaged & repainted 530i-damage.jpg  

BMW Gallops Autohaus (Ahmedabad) delivers a damaged & repainted 530i-vehicle-history.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2018 at 09:30. Reason: Translation.
Ravi_chd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 17:15   #2
BHPian

re: BMW Gallops Autohaus (Ahmedabad) delivers a damaged & repainted 530i

Escalate matter to BMW, dealers selling a repaired car is common than you would imagine.

If you don't get a satisfactory response the only option is the consumer court.
Old 12th December 2018, 09:07   #3
BHPian

Yeah I'm going to for sure. Didn't expect such a service from premium car dealerships.

Couldn't even imagine they'll start calling 3M and say that 3M should have just covered it up so we wont get to know.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2018 at 09:24. Reason: typo
Old 13th December 2018, 09:36   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Gallops Autohaus (Ahmedabad) delivers a damaged & repainted 530i

Sucks to be in this situation. I'll go with 3M's opinion as they're the experts. At the very least, the dealer should have been candid & honest with you. Fact is that new cars do get small nicks & dents in transit or during storage. What I don't like here is the dealer's attitude.

Tell the dealer to buzz off and take it up with BMW India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post
Meanwhile, 3M told me that they are getting calls from BMW stating that they should not have bought this to our notice in the first place and should have instead covered it up in such a way that they entire mark had disappeared. Further raises doubts about the genuineness of the dealership.
3M is very popular. What I'm more worried about is dealers giving nearby 3M outlets some business and telling them to shut up if they spot a repainted car. Today's repainting jobs are so good that it's hard for anyone but an expert to point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
If you don't get a satisfactory response the only option is the consumer court.
Let's not jump the gun here. If it was a severely damaged car, yes. But for what appears to be a much smaller one, you want to go to the consumer court? Do you realise the amount of time, effort & money that goes into such an exercise? Don't get me wrong, I'm always up to a fight, but the wise pick & choose their court battles.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 15:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Left the car at 3M for the treatment only for them to call me back to verify paint damage to the side of the vehicle. Taken by surprise, we immediately went back to 3M wherein they pointed out that a portion has a layer of paint missing and that seems repainted.
Hi there, did you not check the exterior while taking delivery of your car ( I am not even talking of Full PDI Checklist as per Team-Bhp here)?

You might have caught this at that time itself.

Quote:
The only difference being that although the dealership was pushing me to go to another vendor called Autobell, I decided to stick to 3M due to positive past experiences.
The dealership might be having tie up with Autobell and hence pushing to go to them. I am confident that Autobell wouldn't have informed you about this as they will lose the business with the car dealership.

From the picture it's not very clear which panel (part) has this damage (or am I unable to see on the mobile).
Old 13th December 2018, 16:19   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

From the picture it's not very clear which panel (part) has this damage (or am I unable to see on the mobile).
Same here, I am only able to find a small scratch at the door panel edge.
Old 13th December 2018, 16:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
As I intend to keep the car for a longer period of time, on January 11th, I took the car to 3M for a Ceramic Coating treatment - as strongly suggested by Mr. Priyank Bhatnagar at the dealership. The only difference being that although the dealership was pushing me to go to another vendor called Autobell, I decided to stick to 3M due to positive past experiences.
Feeling sad upon seeing your plight.
To safeguard the shoddy work did the dealer suggested a ceramic coat with their go to vendor? This seems to be a whole cover up job. Glad you went to 3M, otherwise you wouldnt have witnessed the paint job.

When will the dealers realize that the generation now are pretty smart and have a social presence.

Please take it up with BMW India and also do post some clear snaps on the patch up work.
Old 14th December 2018, 11:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Hi there, did you not check the exterior while taking delivery of your car ( I am not even talking of Full PDI Checklist as per Team-Bhp here)?

You might have caught this at that time itself.
I did check the car before delivery and it was hard to make out anything at all to be honest. Not easy to figure out with the quality of the repair work available these days - just like GTO pointed out.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 14th December 2018 at 11:12. Reason: fixing quote tag
Old 24th December 2018, 07:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if it makes sense to carry one of those hand held paint thickness testing tool along wit you each time you go to the dealership right from the point of taking delivery. I saw one being used by cars24 and it was quite accurate in detecting factory paint vs dealership/non-factory paint. Just saw one listed on Amazon for 1300 Rs. Small price for the headache saved.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks