Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2022, 19:40   #61
BHPian

Re: Experience: Selling my car to Spinny.com

Hello,

Looking at positive reviews on this thread, I booked an evaluation with Spinny. I was provided online range of 6 Lacs – 7.25 Lacs.

Few details of my car:

2018 Honda Jazz V CVT, driven 33,000 KMs, Bangalore registered, 1st owner, stock tyres, battery, and great condition. I had Honda extended warranty till 4th year and now I have 1 year ‘Anytime Warranty’ from Honda till end of 5th Year. No accidents or issues experienced, and car was always serviced by Whitefield Honda within stipulated timelines. Jazz has oodles of space in the rear seat and provides a safe, comfortable ride with bulletproof reliability. While its CVT avatar is made to be driven sedately, it is still adequate to have some fun with Sports mode and paddle shifters.

Spinny Experience:

The Spinny evaluation engineer arrived on set date and time. He took his time completing physical evaluation taking off door rubber beadings for all 5 doors, engine compartment and underbody. I did not want to look too eager so was watching from a distance. They are supposed to do 200 points check. Once physical inspection was completed, he requested for a 3-5 Km test drive. I was literally riding silent so he can observe, but he was soon satisfied and said that the car is like new condition. That he will provide report to pricing team, and they will contact me within 3 hours. 5 stars for Spinny evaluation engineer’s professionalism and it was a nice experience.

I got a call from pricing team on-time, and they offered 6.5 Lacs – where they will retain 10K to be released post onboarding of new owner and RC transfer completion in his name. I was initially expecting at least 7 Lacs going by the online range provided vis-à-vis my vehicle condition. He mentioned that all transfer activity and paperwork will be done by Spinny, and I will receive an SMS once RC is transferred to new owner. Post the SMS – RC transferred can be evidenced from Vahan website. A quick check at their site revealed a buy price close to 7.5 Lacs for similar vehicle.

Besides the pricing, I have asked Spinny to provide a confirmation that a copy of Transferred RC will be provided for (a) my peace of mind and (b) as a requirement from my Insurer ICICI Lombard to issue me the NCB reserving letter. I will share my view about NCB certificate / reserving letter issuance tantrums from insurance companies these days on the relevant thread. I decline the online offered quote and offered the pricing team executive to check for my expected price of 6.75 Lacs and confirmation for a copy of transferred RC once transfer is completed. I also asked him to check if there is a possibility to delay the car handover and payment to a later date, by when my booked vehicle arrives. I was courteously informed that it might not be possible to handover later as the quotes are valid for 2-3 days post inspection – but he will check and let me know.

Inference:

Overall a pleasing experience so far, while I still await conformation on which way Spinny will lean. In my heart I know this was a dry run and I will need to re-valuate. Since I have some 15 days to go before my booked Alcazar is expected to arrive hopefully, I will go for a re-valuation near the time of expected handover. More-so-ever since last weekend I filled up the Jazz with Shell Premium for approximate 4.5 K INR!!, I intend to take her out for a couple of runs before saying goodbye.
Haldian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 00:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post

Inference:

Overall a pleasing experience so far, while I still await conformation on which way Spinny will lean. In my heart I know this was a dry run and I will need to re-valuate. Since I have some 15 days to go before my booked Alcazar is expected to arrive hopefully, I will go for a re-valuation near the time of expected handover. More-so-ever since last weekend I filled up the Jazz with Shell Premium for approximate 4.5 K INR!!, I intend to take her out for a couple of runs before saying goodbye.
Update: I ended up committing car in exchange to new vehicle for 2 reasons.

1. I got a marginal better offer from car dealer.

2. I can deliver existing car at the same time that I get the new car delivered.

Note these points work only if it's visible to exchange agent at car dealer, that we already have a good fallback quote. But what is even more important, is if they see that new car delivery is imminent, there will be little gap from when they offered the quote to when they can take handover from us.

Icing on the cake is that agreed amount gets adjusted in new car value and dealer can initiate the invoice and RTO documentation after payment of remaining amount.

I would still like to hear from others if they experienced process of requote from Spinny and the likes, and what was the overall experience?
Haldian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 06:01   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Sold my 2017 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz 1.3D Alpha to Spinny today which had done only 32,400 km. The car was in great condition apart from a few minor scratches.
Following up on this sale to Spinny. They kept 15k on hold pending the RC transfer and I thought they would honour their commitment. A few weeks back the insurance company mailed me that the ownership of the car had changed and I saw my car was no longer on the Spinny website.

I followed up with them regarding the pending amount and they now say you need to be present in Hyderabad to for the RC transfer ! At the time of the sale they took some papers with my signature on it and told me they would get it done without my presence. Now that I moved abroad they have stopped replying to my emails.

I see the on the new insurance policy it says reason for change in owner as "To match RC" but for some reason my car is not showing on the Telangana RTO website anymore.

I also see a loan has been taken for the car from Kotak Mahindra Prime.

Not a good ending to this Sale with no clarity if the ownership change was done and they ended up giving me 15k less than the agreed upon amount.
Foxbat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 06:31   #64
BHPian

I too had sold my Vitara Brezza to Spinny. They gave me the best offer. They also paid me the complete amount. Nothing withheld on their side.

Now, even after 3 months, the car has not been sold and RC is yet to get transferred. Since it was on my wife's name and we don't have any plans to purchase a vehicle in her name in near future, I am fine. But not sure if others can afford this. In Telangana, the second vehicle will attract 2% extra road tax.
Old 15th December 2022, 07:39   #65
BHPian

I sold my 2018 - Tata Tiago XZ on 28th October, 2022 to Spinny after reading all the reviews here on Team BHP about Spinny, Cars24 and OLX. It had 26 K on odometer at the time of selling.

Tata Tiago - 2018 model costed me 5.85 L on road in Chennai (Tamil Nadu registered and sold to Spinny in Hyderabad). I moved from Chennai to Hyderabad in October, 2020. Car loan was from Tata Motors Finance, Chennai for 3.85 L and outstanding loan amount was around 72k when I decided to sell.

1. Called up Spinny and booked an appointment for car evaluation on 25th, October, 2022 at 10 AM. The executive came by 10.30 AM and was sorry for being late due to his bike issue.
2. Checked the car in depth - checked by removing the rubber of doors, trunk also.
3. The whole valuation took around 40 mins. He was uploading each photo in his mobile App and finally asked for a test drive.
4. We went for a drive for probably 2 - 4 Kms and he was done with the report.
5. Got a call from Spinny for a quote of 3.94 L (I thought if can get 4 L it would be fine given my urgency to sell) which would be valid till 31st, October, 2022.
6. I decided to sell the car on 28th October, 2022 and asked the executive to come home for the car pickup.
7. All through this, I was told on mobile and the person who evaluated the car that I need not even go to the finance/bank to get the NOC (or maybe loan clearance letter) and they will take care it.
8. When the person assigned to pick my car called me, he told me that NOC should be taken care by me, he cannot do anything about it.
9. Fine, so picked him up and went to Tata Motors Finance (TMF), Secunderabad to settle the outstanding amount and for applying NOC.
10. Initially the officer at Secunderabad TMF told me that I need to get it settled in Chennai (since my loan was issued there), subsequently I have to collect the letter from the same office in Chennai. He did not have access to check the outstanding amount on my loan also since it was a loan issued in Chennai.
11. Explained my situation that I cannot go to Chennai and requested him to see if it can be done from here in Hyderabad and the letter to be forwarded to my Hyderabad address.
12. Thanks to the officer, he was kind enough to understand my situation and request, it took a while to get my details from Chennai branch via email.
13. Cleared the outstanding amount and applied for NOC on the same day - 28th October, 2022.
14. For reference: I reached TMF office by 12.50 PM and started by 4 PM. Reached home by 5 PM
15. Handed over the car, documents, signed wherever needed for RC transfer, extra key by 6 PM.
16. This was the break up:
Amount offered: 3.94 L
Shipping the car to Chennai: 14 K
Amount to be held till NOC letter from Tata Motors Finance is received : 39400

17. Saw after a couple of weeks, that the car was listed on their website (Chennai) and a week later, the car was marked as sold for 4.51 L. (even before I got my letter from TMF)
18. Received letter from TMF finally on 22nd November, 2022 which was handed over to Spinny executive and within 10 mins, the pending amount was credited.

Note: RC transfer is still pending.

Last edited by bvasista : 15th December 2022 at 07:45.
bvasista is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 21:40   #66
BHPian

Hi All
I am planning to sell my car to Spinny. I have about 2500/- rupees worth fuel in the tank. Do they refund this amount? Or should I just consider it as my gift to them

- Vinodh
Old 28th December 2022, 23:04   #67
BHPian

Consider it a gift. My tank was almost full when I gave it to them.
ImranHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 22:46   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Following up on this sale to Spinny. They kept 15k on hold pending the RC transfer and I thought they would honour their commitment. A few weeks back the insurance company mailed me that the ownership of the car had changed and I saw my car was no longer on the Spinny website.

I followed up with them regarding the pending amount and they now say you need to be present in Hyderabad to for the RC transfer ! At the time of the sale they took some papers with my signature on it and told me they would get it done without my presence. Now that I moved abroad they have stopped replying to my emails.

I see the on the new insurance policy it says reason for change in owner as "To match RC" but for some reason my car is not showing on the Telangana RTO website anymore.

I also see a loan has been taken for the car from Kotak Mahindra Prime.

Not a good ending to this Sale with no clarity if the ownership change was done and they ended up giving me 15k less than the agreed upon amount.

So just to close the loop, I finally received the 15k pending amount. Since I had moved abroad they kept calling me at odd hours to ask me to come to the Hyderabad RTO for the transfer which was impossible.

Online it shows the car is still in my name but I hope that will be updated soon.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 17:22   #69

We sold our 2014 Dzire LXI in Pune in December. Initially, they quoted 3.3 but due to month end pressure, price was increased to 3.6 without me asking.
Tip: try to sell your car near the year end - March. You might hit a bonanza.

Timeline till now:
1. December 31st car was picked.
2. It got listed by 15th Jan. I found the listing very detailed with even the minor scratches displayed.
3. Now, it is showing booked even though there was 15 more listings.

Overall, the experience has been very smooth. They signed a contract which categorically mentions the car is in Spinny's possession and that they would be responsible for any untoward incident. Must say it boosted my confidence on their process.
Old 12th February 2023, 17:37   #70
BHPian

Seeking advice from fellow members. Planning to sell my Ford Freestyle 2019 model 27k km run, diesel titanium plus as I am moving abroad. Would you suggest to sell individually through team bhp classifieds / olx or through spinny?
Old 18th February 2023, 21:02   #71
BHPian

I want to exchange my car with Spinny for a Turbo 1.0L i20 booked it by paying Rs 10,000 and my current car a 2017 Ignis, brought from Spinny itself. It has been 48 hrs and no one from Spinny called back with a quotation. Ignis is 31k kms done and in mint condition. Is this normal? My booking for i20 expires today.
Old 27th March 2023, 15:18   #72
BHPian

I have sold my Volkswagen Vento 1.2 TSI through Spinny and thought of sharing my experience with you all.

The car was evaluated by Spinny, Cars24 and OlxAuto and here is the experience at each of the steps with all three of them.
Spinny holds the cars in their yard, refurbishes it as required and sells to a final owner along with a RC transfer. Spinny takes the responsibility of the car till the transfer is done. OlxAuto and Cars24 are different and they engage other used-car agents to buy the car and the car is probably held in their garages. But they claim, they are responsible for the car till the RC transfer happens. Legally both options are not completely sound, but I felt more comfortable with the Spinny model.

Online sell request and Inspection:
Raising a sell request is relatively straightforward in all the 3 places. They all generate a quick online price range. Cars24 gave a higher price and even I was surprised by that amount compared to Spinny and OlxAuto.

Spinny person turned up for the appointment on time and did a really thorough and professional inspection of the car including a 3km test drive. It lasted almost an hour. I felt he was very thorough and looks like had a detailed set of items to be checked against. I thought, I will ask for his number to take him along if I am buying an used car .
OlxAuto inspection was a joke to be honest. Spent quite a lot of time fiddling with AC settings sitting in the stationary car and finished it with very short drive and left in 15mins.
Cars24 was a bit unprofessional with their appointments and came after a couple of missed appointments. Inspection was decent with an included test drive. It lasted about half an hour.

Offer and follow up:
Spinny guys called an hour later, gave the offer and also justified it with the set of repair works that they plan to do on the car before listing it for a sale. Most of them were in my list of things to do, if I had retained the car myself.
OlxAuto, after a few follow ups, conveyed that they are not able to find a suitable internal buyer.
Cars24 gave an offer after a day where they claimed to have done repeated auction to increase the price of the car. But it was less than what Spinny had offered and said they cannot go beyond the offer.

Payment and pickup:
Negotiated a bit with Spinny, but they did not budge much, except for some rounding off to some nearest number and I said ok for the sale. Here is where the experience with Spinny went down a bit. Initially they offered to pick the car on Saturday afternoon then Sunday morning. But they kept postponing it a bit on Sunday and eventually nobody turned up and their customer care was also not reachable. Calls from the registered mobile to their helpline were going nowhere(Eventually they mentioned that the person who was handling my case had an emergency and was not responding to the forwarded calls). Had to call from an alternative number and escalate a bit to get the pick-up scheduled for Monday and a new person took over the case.

The driver came on-time, quickly got the RTO forms and insurance transfer forms signed after a quick check of RC and the vehicle. Had to digitally sign a sale agreement and then in 15mins, the RTGS payment was done and the car was driven away. They hold back Rs. 10000/- till the RC transfer is done.

Overall, I was comfortable with selling my car to Spinny and was happy with the offer I got, though a bit less than my initial expectation.
Felt a bit sad seeing my car which served me without a hitch for almost 7 years go away. Have a lot of memories. My little daughter also felt a bit down seeing the car go away.

Last edited by nagarjun : 27th March 2023 at 15:23.
nagarjun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

Here is my experience selling my 2012 Skoda Rapid TDI MT in Bangalore.

I was not really looking to change my car. But one fine day, I drove a Nissan Magnite CVT in my family and realized how smooth the steering is and the absence of clutch and gears made the driving experience much better and stress free than the Skoda Rapid. Thus started the hunt for a new car preferably without gears/ clutch and in the CSUV segment. More details on my decision and ownership here on the Kia Sonet thread--> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5505896 (Kia Sonet : Official Review)

I had a choice on what to do with my Skoda Rapid. Either: (1) Scout for individual buyers or (2) Explore the new age startups (Spinny, OLX auto and Cars 24). I preferred the latter option to save time and effort although my previous 3 cars had been sold to direct buyers since there were no such start ups 11 years ago like today.
I put an online request for evaluation with two sites: Spinny and Cars 24. Both called back promptly and arranged for inspections. I also checked the value on OLX auto, but the online quote itself was less than 3.2L so didn’t bother asking them to come for inspection, though they did keep hounding me with calls. Also asked KIA used car division on what they would quote for an exchange, but more on that later.

1. Cars 24: The assessor came on time and was a young chap who came with a paint depth meter. He checked the car from all angles up down, left right etc. Also took my permission and we went on a short test drive. A couple of panels of my car were repainted due to a deep dent and scrape. Bumpers had also been replaced and repainted at different times. All in all, they agreed the car condition was good and informed I will hear from them with a quote later the day. Their system of checking the quote was a bit weird, as it involves the assessor going into their system, logging the sale and details with photos of the car, the listing open for auctions and the highest bidder price communicated to us. They will call us and ask us for an OTP/code. With this code, they can see the final bid price in the system and will inform us. The quote they gave me was 3.2L, which was on the lower side compared to what I had already got from Spinny so eventually didn’t go ahead with it.

2. Spinny: The experience here was good. Pretty prompt to respond, the assessor came at the time promised and did a thorough check. Even went on test drive and noted some points with the car. They finally called and gave a quote of 3.5L and asked to respond within 72 hours.

3. KIA: Asked their used car person to come over and evaluate. The guy who came just visibly checked the car, oil levels etc. and took a very very short drive (200 mts). Then gave a quote of 3.2L.

Before I finally decided to go with Spinny, I asked Kia if they can match this since it would be convenient for me to exchange against the new car purchase and reduce from the invoice accordingly. They said it was a German car, people are scared to buy older German cars due to maintenance, plus Injector Issues in older VAG cars the works. I thanked them for their time and told Ill directly sell it off.

One wild card was a used car dealer who had seen my car posted on Cars 24. Based on the photos of the car and nearby landmarks, he landed at my house on the same day the Cars 24 survey was done and was asking me how much I want for the car. I showed him the Spinny quote of 3.5L and told I will not go lower. He was offering 3.2L and told this is the best price, there were small repair work to be done on the car like the hard clutch etc. Seems he has a ready buyer, immediate money transfer etc. I told it makes no financial sense to go for 30k lower when I am getting a higher quote. He was in touch and asked me not to sell to Spinny before discussing with him. When I made the final decision to go with Spinny, I asked this guy his final quote, he was still quoting 3.3L. I told him thank you, Ill go with Spinny and closed the conversation.

The sale process with Spinny was smooth. They had sent the agreement online, sent a guy to collect the car, I digitally signed their agreement, the guy waited for 30 mins for the money to be transferred to my account. Once this was done, handed over the 2 keys and he left with the car. They had informed me and mentioned in the agreement that they will withhold 10k from the final sale amount citing RC Peshti or something. Further since the online BTP fine/challan site was down, they said they will withhold a further 5k from the amount and release this after they are able to verify there are no pending challans against my car. I asked them to include this in the RC withhold amount of 10k, which they took some time to confirm but obliged. They said this will be paid to me after the car is transferred to the new owner in the RC.

Post this, I was checking the Spinny website every fortnight to see if my car was listed. Finally saw in the 3nd week of March (over 1 month after my sale) it was listed on Truebil, their sister website for used cars (which do not meet the exemplary standards of used car sale for Spinny ). The car was listed for 3.95L i.e. 45k more than what I sold to them. I was tracking the listing and saw within a couple of weeks, it was showing as booked then as sold.

I was checking on the Parivahan website and saw the owner name has changed last week. Wrote to Spinny this Sunday with a screenshot from Parivahan and asked them to release the 10K. They did this promptly and on Monday I had the 10k in my account. Thus closed the chapter on my 11 years of ownership of my Skoda Rapid TDI. Farewell my friend, she had served me well for 11 years and was the only car which I had kept for so long since my first car purchased 17 yrs ago.

Based on my experience, I will recommend Spinny for the hassle free sale and evaluation process.

Last edited by hrman : 18th April 2023 at 11:33.
hrman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 12:49   #74
BHPian

I am looking to sell my 2022 Alcazar Signature P AT 7 seater. Any idea how spinny deals with hypothecation ?

Also, is it better to clear off the loan and then sell the car - will it affect the offered price ?

Last edited by luvDriving : 15th May 2023 at 12:50. Reason: model mention
Old 15th May 2023, 15:26   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
I have sold my Volkswagen Vento 1.2 TSI through Spinny and thought of sharing my experience with you all.
Just a small update from my side. The car was sold to another buyer within 10 days via their sister arm called trubill. I missed to see the listing, so don't really know on the listed price. They took another 20 days for the RC Transfer to complete. I pro-actively checked in Vahan website and notified the spinny team and immediately got the withheld amount.

Overall quite satisfied with the sale process.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks