Team-BHP - EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Dealerships (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/)
-   -   EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/210659-evm-volkswagen-thiruvalla-didnt-tell-me-my-brake-pads-were-about-wear-out.html)

I have given the my Polo for 60k service on 21 June 2019 at EVM Volkswagen, Thiruvalla. Since the car was equipped with Tarox G88 rotors, I asked the service advisor to check the brake pad thickness as it requires frequent replacement. After the service , the car was returned to me saying that brake pads are in good condition and the car will run without issues. But the brake pads were worn out and the expensive Tarox rotors were damaged after just 800 km of the regular servicing. It is clear that the service advisor told me brake pads were ok without even checking the brake pad thickness. May I shouldn't have trusted the service advisor blindly.

When you have such expensive items into the car, it's better to have clear communication in order not to end up with damages. In this case, you should have got the actual thickness of pads in numbers. BTW, once pad thickness goes beyond a stage where it damages the rotors, can't it be felt while driving.

Technically VW ASS aren't supposed to be responsible for any damages in your aftermarket fittings. Unless those fittings are installed by this perticular dealership.

Mind you, now days, official service centers & manufacturers doesn't even allow us to use our own oil (after market engine oil), even if the oil is matching all the required parameters mentioned in the manual.

Last of all, rotors can be damaged with a hard brake pad. It's not necessary for the pads to wear out & exposed metals grind the rotors. I have seen cases where rotors are wearing out where as the pads stay intact. This is specially true when there is mismatch between brand, quality & type of different rotors with different brake pads are used.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anb (Post 4612910)
I have given the my Polo for 60k service on 21 June 2019 at EVM Volkswagen, Thiruvalla.

Could you please share pics so as help is understand the situation in a better way. Would be great if you could share pics of damaged rotor and the brake pads in current condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 4613005)
Could you please share pics so as help is understand the situation in a better way. Would be great if you could share pics of damaged rotor and the brake pads in current condition.

This is the present condition of the rotor. Brake pad is worn out. I haven't replaced them yet

Is this first time I am reading that Service Advisor told Wear-prone Parts (in this case Brake Pads) do not need replacement?
Till now I have been reading that Service Advisor has advised to replace so and so parts even though they have life (safe to use life) left in them. For example SAs advise to replace Brake Pads, Brake Rotors, Suspension Parts even though the latter have a lot of usable life (even after considering the age of those parts) to avail incentives.

I myself check if Brake Pads are worn out on our Xylo and i20. Sometimes it's possible to do this when viewed in between Alloy Wheel Spokes. And sometimes it requires to remove the wheel.

@anb - Unfortunately, once you fit something aftermarket, its best not to depend on the A.S.S for its maintenances or checks. You can continue to depend on them for regular servicing or checks for other parts which are still stock. They go by the books in most cases and without a reference for the aftermarket parts, they'd be lost on its tolerances, marking etc.

Didn't you get any early warning signs though? Usually, one hears a mild grinding sound well before the discs get seriously damaged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi (Post 4613272)
Is this first time I am reading that Service Advisor told Wear-prone Parts (in this case Brake Pads) do not need replacement?

lol: So true. I guess the service advisor had no incentive to actually check the pads as he'd have guessed the OP would anyway use after-market brake pads for his after-market rotors.

If this is some kind of race spec brake kit, It is normal for it to take the rotor down with it when the pad wears out rather quickly.

Modern brake pads these days don't vaporize like older ones which required a slotted rotor, so why is this rotor having so many grooves? If that is only to make it bite sharper then I guess it has done it's job rather well. Your VW guy, he couldn't be bothered unless he is a friend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4613660)
Didn't you get any early warning signs though? Usually, one hears a mild grinding sound well before the discs get seriously damaged.

No, there was no metal scrapping sound. Strangely, only one brake pad is completely worn out and the rest are in decent condition.

Please check you brake caliper pins. They might need some servicing/lubrication. Usually this is the cause for only one pad to be worn out.