Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 1st July 2019, 02:41   #1
anb
BHPian

Default EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out

I have given the my Polo for 60k service on 21 June 2019 at EVM Volkswagen, Thiruvalla. Since the car was equipped with Tarox G88 rotors, I asked the service advisor to check the brake pad thickness as it requires frequent replacement. After the service , the car was returned to me saying that brake pads are in good condition and the car will run without issues. But the brake pads were worn out and the expensive Tarox rotors were damaged after just 800 km of the regular servicing. It is clear that the service advisor told me brake pads were ok without even checking the brake pad thickness. May I shouldn't have trusted the service advisor blindly.
anb is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 07:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out

When you have such expensive items into the car, it's better to have clear communication in order not to end up with damages. In this case, you should have got the actual thickness of pads in numbers. BTW, once pad thickness goes beyond a stage where it damages the rotors, can't it be felt while driving.
Surprise is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 08:54   #3
BHPian

Default re: EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out

Technically VW ASS aren't supposed to be responsible for any damages in your aftermarket fittings. Unless those fittings are installed by this perticular dealership.

Mind you, now days, official service centers & manufacturers doesn't even allow us to use our own oil (after market engine oil), even if the oil is matching all the required parameters mentioned in the manual.

Last of all, rotors can be damaged with a hard brake pad. It's not necessary for the pads to wear out & exposed metals grind the rotors. I have seen cases where rotors are wearing out where as the pads stay intact. This is specially true when there is mismatch between brand, quality & type of different rotors with different brake pads are used.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 10:09   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I have given the my Polo for 60k service on 21 June 2019 at EVM Volkswagen, Thiruvalla.
Could you please share pics so as help is understand the situation in a better way. Would be great if you could share pics of damaged rotor and the brake pads in current condition.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st July 2019 at 11:51. Reason: break > brake.
pavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 15:02   #5
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Could you please share pics so as help is understand the situation in a better way. Would be great if you could share pics of damaged rotor and the brake pads in current condition.
This is the present condition of the rotor. Brake pad is worn out. I haven't replaced them yet
Attached Thumbnails
EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out-img_20190701_092657.jpg  

Last edited by anb : 1st July 2019 at 15:04.
anb is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 15:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is this first time I am reading that Service Advisor told Wear-prone Parts (in this case Brake Pads) do not need replacement?
Till now I have been reading that Service Advisor has advised to replace so and so parts even though they have life (safe to use life) left in them. For example SAs advise to replace Brake Pads, Brake Rotors, Suspension Parts even though the latter have a lot of usable life (even after considering the age of those parts) to avail incentives.

I myself check if Brake Pads are worn out on our Xylo and i20. Sometimes it's possible to do this when viewed in between Alloy Wheel Spokes. And sometimes it requires to remove the wheel.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 17:05   #7
BHPian

@anb - Unfortunately, once you fit something aftermarket, its best not to depend on the A.S.S for its maintenances or checks. You can continue to depend on them for regular servicing or checks for other parts which are still stock. They go by the books in most cases and without a reference for the aftermarket parts, they'd be lost on its tolerances, marking etc.
krish3 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:45   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out

Didn't you get any early warning signs though? Usually, one hears a mild grinding sound well before the discs get seriously damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Is this first time I am reading that Service Advisor told Wear-prone Parts (in this case Brake Pads) do not need replacement?
So true. I guess the service advisor had no incentive to actually check the pads as he'd have guessed the OP would anyway use after-market brake pads for his after-market rotors.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:04   #9
BHPian

Default Re: EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out

If this is some kind of race spec brake kit, It is normal for it to take the rotor down with it when the pad wears out rather quickly.

Modern brake pads these days don't vaporize like older ones which required a slotted rotor, so why is this rotor having so many grooves? If that is only to make it bite sharper then I guess it has done it's job rather well. Your VW guy, he couldn't be bothered unless he is a friend.
Kosfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2019, 15:52   #10
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Didn't you get any early warning signs though? Usually, one hears a mild grinding sound well before the discs get seriously damaged.
No, there was no metal scrapping sound. Strangely, only one brake pad is completely worn out and the rest are in decent condition.
Attached Thumbnails
EVM Volkswagen Thiruvalla didn't tell me my brake pads were about to wear out-img_20190703_144535.jpg  

anb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:04   #11
BHPian

Please check you brake caliper pins. They might need some servicing/lubrication. Usually this is the cause for only one pad to be worn out.
Ahmed is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote