Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 17:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service

This trend of prescribing more than what is needed is worrying.

My 2 cents,
Apart from mentioning that no extra service is required, one can make sure that the "Customer Request/ Customer Issues" section in the service form is left blank. I have seen few SAs in Hyundai and Suzuki adding brake cleaning, axle greasing, A/C clean etc in those columns when the car is taken for Service. If we can ensure that the SA leaves that column back, one will always have the good footing to protest and claim later. So, be careful when signing the Initial inspection/Service form and make sure the Customer requests mentioned are legitimate.
vivee90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 18:20   #47
BHPian

Re: Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service

It's a target driven world today and not just process, be it sales or service. The salaries, incentives are built in such a manner where people have to achieve numbers.

The service advisers are also primed to achieve targets. If it's just technical knowledge, they may remain as engineers/ mechanics.

The prices and thus margins available on regular service is regulated by the manufacturer, so largely it is controlled. Whereas the margins made on detailing/sanitizing/coating stuff are lot higher. These services products at best may be company approved but not company recommended.

I believe in getting the detailing work being done by trusted local shops those who have better/more options and most of the times better priced.

It is service advisers' general trait to push items which may be non-essential, it's for us to decide. Ethics is not a very common thing and very valuable. " Jago Grahak Jago".
vermasach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 21:49   #48

I have faced the same issue with Ravindu Toyota, Bengaluru. I opted for their V care / Smiles service package which costed Rs 16379/- which was supposed to cover 2 services, 2 interval inspections and offer discount on wheel balancing and allignment and other added services. Sounds like a deal right ? I'd say the good part ends there.

In spite of having the service plan I was being charged for forced optional services every time. What I noticed is that the bill/optional services are lesser when you personally drop it. When I send my driver they add about 5-6K worth of optional services.

Another thing I observed is when I questioned them the basis of doing AC evaporator cleaning every 5,000kms, they took it off. But they call me a few hours later telling me that my prop shaft is making noise and it needs to be changed, its on stock and will cost 30K ! I told the SA that it was never making any noise/vibration to which he said let us do it in the next service. I got it inspected at my FNG post service and the prop shaft was perfect.

I made a quick analysis of the last 20,000 km / 4 services ( 2 Services and 2 inspections). I have not included additional part changes/ body work. The calculation is also inclusive of taxes for the respective categories as applicable.
The results are shocking !
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service-0001.jpg  

Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service-00011.jpg  

Pavan A K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 22:02   #49
BHPian

Pavan, Thanks for the updates.
As mentioned by others, this is common across all the manufactures. But in my experience Toyota is much better. I always tell them to strictly follow the service manual and confirm with me for any additional works. Most of the times I stay there and get the service done.

Some of the items my SA tried to sell -
EGR cleaning, A/C disinfectant, Engine de-carbonising, Door Hings Lubrications, Tank cleaning, Fuel filer RP

My drive is 2011 January Innova GX 8 seater. (Bought from my friend when odo was at 25000)
Please find my service expense details from 27000km to 83000km. Always serviced at Nandi Toyota, Kudlu Gate Bangalore.
Apart from periodic service, replaced Water Pump and coolant at around 56k on odo. This was just a one of the case I am unlucky. Normally water pump should go fine till 1-1.5lacs km.

Periodic service and running expense
Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service-periodicservice.jpg

Other replacements
Name:  OtherExpense.png
Views: 1494
Size:  13.1 KB

Thanks
kavu75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 13:28   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, I've had the same experience as you with our Etios during it's 50Kkm service, except that our office gave them the go-ahead as I was traveling.
A total estimate of Rs. 24K for the service, out of which Rs. 11,280 was just the following nonsense :

Muffler Flushing – Rs. 1,793.60
Windshield Glass Buffing – Rs. 1,793.60
Gear Service – Rs. 1,470.76
Power Windows and Door Lock Control - Rs. 1,407.98
Headlight Buffing – Rs. - 1,138.94
Wiring Harness - Rs. 1,416.94
Rust Fighter for Instrument Panel – Rs. 1,901.22
Engine Care treatment – Rs. 1,766.70

This is not including other non-requested items like Engine Flushing, etc.

Thankfully, Toyota unlike other manufacturers does respond and I had the dealer constantly after me offering discounts on service and parts.

Heck, our Corolla Altis's recent 20K service cost just Rs. 28xx/-!

That being said - I've faced similar bundled service packages from other manufacturers as well, though Toyota was definitely on the highest side of them all.
Good you caught it in time!
lamborghini is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 20:53   #51
BHPian

Friends.

You get a service book with your car. Go strictly according to it when you give your car for service. Nothing more, nothing less. If the service advisor asks to add anything extra and tries to scare you that it is compulsory and would void your car's warranty, ask him (in rare cases her) where is it written in the service book. If they try to pull a fast one by saying that the OEM has recently asked them to do it, ask them for a bulletin or email or any document from the OEM which says so.

Totally avoid additives or decarbonisation, till your car is in warranty. OEM can reject your warranty claims in case there is some trouble in future.
fazayal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 21:21   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing which I have observed with Toyota cars off late is they write a few notes on the invoice mentioning the works suggested and which customer refused to permit. This can be used to dishonor warranty as they place the blame on the customer that the work approval is refused.

I know an Innova with suggestions for overhaul of alternator and starter motor (both of these replaced already once) when the whole fault is a weak battery. Battery replaced and it was resolved. Customer has now understood the game and responds to the SA accordingly.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 21:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
One thing which I have observed with Toyota cars off late is they write a few notes on the invoice mentioning the works suggested and which customer refused to permit. This can be used to dishonor warranty as they place the blame on the customer that the work approval is refused.
It is not just Toyota, but for every manufacturer that the Service Advisor is ideally supposed to write if customer refuses anything suggested by them.

As long as you are following the schedule and replacements as required by the OEM, your warranty can never be dishonoured. Let them write whatever they want. Let them write customer refused to do "Engine coating, decarbonisation, engine flush, coolant flush" or whatever snake oils they sell and you proudly sign on it, nothing will happen to your car warranty.

It also saves the dealership incase a customer refuses to get a critical work done even after recommended by the service advisor. Eg. Service Advisor recommends customer to change brake pads and discs but customer refuses, if later there is an accident due to brakes, dealership is absolved of any legal issues.
fazayal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 22:16   #54
Team-BHP Support

Thanks again to everyone for sharing experiences as well suggestions. I hope, we all learn from such malpractices. Due to the present economic conditions, I have to travel a lot more and was away for a while so could not update details here.

So, the next day, dealership called and asked approval for replacement of front shocker which was approved and the car was given one day later after they carried out the approved Jobs. Total invoice was about half of the initial even with additional jobs.

Giving a benefit of doubt and the present conditions in Gurgaon where MGF is the only one (Uttam Toyota has taken Grace Toyota assets but I am not sure if they have adequate manpower at this time), we sent one of our Innova's which recently came from a satellite branch in Rajasthan. The car has done 2,17 Lac Km and was in need of some work. But MGF being a large group, would not bother from past errors/ complaints and again raised an Estimate with all Options as before

Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service-whatsapp-image-20190831-10.10.13-pm2.jpeg

This time, even though the car was serviced at Toyota Dealership in Rajasthan at 2,11 Lac Km, they still raised Estimate for 2,10 Lac Km whereas the current mileage was 2,17 Lac, So against an inspection service of 2,15 Lac they raised estimate with Oil Change and proposed 2,10 service. I am sure, they would have not carried out the Oil change and would have simply pocketed the difference.

Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service-whatsapp-image-20190831-10.10.13-pm.jpeg

Once again, I complained to Toyota and for some reasons, unlike past, no one called. It appears, Toyota India is aware of this thread and just want to keep mum. A middle level guy from Dealership called and accepted the error without much debate, so it seems to be a regular affair at MGF Gurgaon.

With not many options at present, instead of sending car to another dealer, I gave them go-ahead for the mandatory jobs. Surprisingly, as pointed by some other members, they have indeed listed most of the optionals as well request to do 2,10 Km instead of 2,15 Km in the remarks meant to note Customers Request

Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service-whatsapp-image-20190831-10.10.13-pm1.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
one can make sure that the "Customer Request/ Customer Issues" section in the service form is left blank. I have seen few SAs in Hyundai and Suzuki adding brake cleaning, axle greasing, A/C clean etc in those columns when the car is taken for Service.

Absolutely, They do write wrongly and if one is not careful, you can't even complaint,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazayal View Post
You get a service book with your car. Go strictly according to it when you give your car for service.
Correct, in the past, most manufactures will insist on Stamp of dealership and the service requirements were clearly listed. Now, they record electronically so carrying manual/ warranty booklet is not a mist but we must go through the manual before giving the car for service.

Quote:
Recently, one of my Tyre had a leak, though I was almost sure that there has to be a cut but it was not visible. They cleaned and found a small cut, obviously they would not cover under warranty and instead offered one at about 1-1/2 times the market rates which I have to refuse. They mentioned the same on records.
Toyota dealer scam - Upselling optional extras worth Rs. 9,000 during service-whatsapp-image-20190831-10.10.40-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st August 2019 at 22:25.
Old 31st August 2019, 22:26   #55
BHPian

In my experience with Honda and Hyundai Gurgaon, they also try very hard with random things at inflated costs.
For example- Exhaust pipe cleaning, radiator cleaning,ac vent cleaning, caliper overhaul, etc.
I used to think injector cleaning was legit until I went through a thread on Team Bhp.
( One can just use system G/ Liqui Moly if required )
Even wheel balancing/ alignment is avoided by me at these places ,not because of the high costs but because of the poor job they do. At Honda I've had a severely misaligned steering/ vibrating wheel ,and at Hyundai the geniuses put steel weights instead of sticker weights on alloys.

My tried and tested strategy which I advise to all friends- Take the car yourself and simply decline everything except pure maintenance/ mechanical jobs. Simply cite the reason being you're thinking of selling the car soon. Many people think if they decline these things, something will happen to their car, so just make sure you take a picture of everything with the SA watching.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 01:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
VW Navi Mumbai did the trick with me.
The SA wrote 'customer refused to do recommended service' and asked me to sign. The item was something additional to what were mentioned in the manual. I wrote 'service centre is pushing unnecessary / additional items not mentioned in manual' and signed. The SA was shocked and panic and called the manager and then they gave me a new job card / estimate without the extra item and no comments and signature.
JohnyBoy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 10:28   #57
BHPian

I think pretty much every company has one or more cash grab related to the AC. I was charged 1000 rs for AC disinfectant for my Tiago, during a non-oil change service, making the bill around 3.5k, which should've been 2.5k. This same "disinfection" service was done in the previous service as well, but i managed to talk them out of charging me for it, this time i was in a hurry and didn't notice and they gladly swindled some bucks out of my pocket.

Last edited by SaiSW : 1st February 2020 at 10:30.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 10:34   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like I am an exception here. I always ask what else can be done. I love spoiling my cars. These little extras are small compared to the cost of owning and operating a car. I think the service engineer must be viewing me as a sucker! Things like interior cleaning, exterior polish normally gets done gratis. Maybe they feel sorry for me.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Looks like I am an exception here. I always ask what else can be done. I love spoiling my cars. These little extras are small compared to the cost of owning and operating a car. I think the service engineer must be viewing me as a sucker! Things like interior cleaning, exterior polish normally gets done gratis. Maybe they feel sorry for me.
None of these will be done with any quality at the service centre, you’re better off signing up for a package deal at 3m car care.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:28   #60
BHPian

Don't know about other car dealers but I have to add here that Toyota dealers seem to follow the same MO everywhere. For the first service and fortunately for me I was given the options of a few extras which I refused since the car was only a month old. Thanks to Team BHP members here I was forewarned. When I took the delivery of the car I was given mud flaps for which I was fine and interior mats for which I wasn't informed. I did not want to create a issue so paid the amount and took the delivery of the car. I was also given the option of getting a ceramic coating and other extras to ' prolong the life of the car '. Of course I wasn't game for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks