Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 08:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Got sold a Tata Harrier damaged in transit; repainted shoddily. EDIT: Resolved (page 3)

Wow, what a compromise? We have heard of buy back scheme, this is probably the first take back scheme.
deehunk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:28   #32
BHPian

re: Got sold a Tata Harrier damaged in transit; repainted shoddily. EDIT: Resolved (page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not to mention, we expect better paint jobs from authorised dealers .
Quote:
I was told that since this dealer does not have a workshop yet, my car has been sent for a PDI to a workshop in Mankapur
I am willing to bet money that this was not a dealership paint job, by which I mean it wasn't done in a closed paint booth with the latest tools. Considering they didn't even have a workshop and had to outsource even their pdi, what are the chances of them having a functional set up for dirt sensitive jobs like painting? It's very very common for dealers to get the painting/denting jobs done outside and charge customers a premium. Jatin's lawyers should insist on getting a video recording of the process. My guess is there won't be one.
Quote:
Thank you once again for responding positively and even if this does not figure as a story on team-bhp.com, I am a bigger fan of your portal now after your lightning-quick response.
Nicely done GTO
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:42   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Got sold a Tata Harrier damaged in transit; repainted shoddily. EDIT: Car being taken back (page

This is where M&M gets it right every time & TML makes a huge hash of things.

We have Mr. Anand Mahindra generating HUGE positive PR for the brand by gifting a car to a flood hero or a pilgrim mom. Peanuts of money spent for the mammoth Mahindra group to gain tremendous new respect & brand value for their products in the long run.

And then we have TML on the other side. A company from one of the largest philanthropic groups (Tata Trusts) that spend billions for public welfare. A flagship car delivered to a customer in a state that is totally a case of cheating! Its no longer a case of an unhappy customer. Its a case of thousands of potential customers buying an XUV500 instead of a Harrier. Why not simply close the matter by quickly offering a replacement car fresh off the assembly line & do the paperwork to remove that damaged car from customer's name. The car can easily be handed over for TD duties somewhere afterwards.

The lack of ideas and implementation speed at TML is a disaster. Their product engineering & design teams must be so disappointed seeing their hard efforts going down the sewers thanks to the entire next chain of business. If it was the IT sector - all of them would be working at M&M or some biggie by now.
Reinhard is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got sold a Tata Harrier damaged in transit; repainted shoddily. EDIT: Car being taken back (page

Quote:
Jatin shares this pleasant update with us
With Full refund?

That may be a first in Indian Auto space
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Jatin shares this pleasant update with us
Since the primary post said they also haven't deposited the Road Tax / Registration fees even after 30+ days, this could be the reason for the dealer's decision to take back the car and might sell it again to some other unsuspecting customer as a new car. Sad that they did not take it the right way, a good quality paint job was all that was needed per the pics and there was no need to drag this so long.
Xaos636 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 02:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post

The attitude and behavior of the dealer is what is to be condemned.

Agreed 100%. This was very bad customer care and risk management on the part of the dealer.
AbhiJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 08:21   #37
BHPian

Good customer service has no substitute. Dealers being the customer facing front-ends for the manufacturers should be held accountable for such shoddy treatment. OEMs spend millions, if not billions to develop their shiny new flagship cars but cannot spend pittance to train dealers how to handle dire circumstances.

In this case, reading other posts, it appears transit damage is not uncommon. So they must have dealt this in a better way. The OEM must actually enforce the exception workflows on their dealers for pre-delivery mishaps. If A gets damaged during X, do 1. If B gets damaged during Y do 2, etc., and not leave it to dealers' fancies.

Living in Bangalore I get the luxury of availing several services for my day to day activities/chores mostly from startup companies, both online and offline. I must admit that a majority of them have exceptional customer service that put their traditional counterparts (if they exist) to shame. This has a bearing on my expectations every time I set to to buy something, be it a kg of processed meat for Rs.400 or a car for Rs.20,00,000. I will not settle for less.
dksv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 10:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

At the risk of absolutely being flogged for saying anything against TATA, a brand which for some reason has become the corporate personification of India, I want to make a few points about the ethos of the organisation :

1) TATA is strictly middle-of-the-road, they dont have an ethos of being numero uno in everything, rather they are a jack of all master of none group.

2) Sat in a Tigor EV the other day, good lord the rattles, everytime the chassis twisted there were rattles, not really sure if its from plastics or battery. No wonder it was released to fleet first, the vehicle is being flogged and not aging well at all.

3. Their vehicular division has a history of confusion, from making big cars like Sierra, Sumo etc to Indica which became a strictly cabbie favorite, to a total flop Nano (albeit a good car for its intended purpose) to a great attempt on their strictly consumer oriented cars the Zest and Bolt, which again became cabbie favorites unfortunately, the Tigor and Tiago seem to be following the same footsteps. Their acquisitions of Jaguar and Land Rover which seemed like a master stroke to begin with, has taken the division into the red today.

4. For such a cash - strong group, they must pump a few billion $, hire fantastic superstar marketing heads, engineers and designers from other brands, ensure that all the niggling Q issues and rough edges are ironed out permanently, else they cannot succeed in a market with other global giants with far more experience.

5. Lastly I have nothing against TATA, I look at corporations in terms of quality and not country of origin, TATA made some good attempts at trying to distinguish themselves with the Indigo CS, India's first compact sedan, to the Manza, a spacious car but an unfortunate box on wheels to the Indica Vista.. but without a clear marketing plan there can be nothing done to help sales. TATA has zero marketing, positioning plan.

Dealers can only peddle the products made by the company and toe the lines laid by the company, the company has to define them both. Taking back a 20L rupee car (which doesnt sell well to begin with) is a great shame, they should've given the buyer a new model, slapped on an additional warranty and closed a sale.

Whatever TATA might've done for the countrynin terms of educational institutions, hotels, food manufacturing etc, helmed by the past leaders, are in the past, ONLY. Today the company is faceless, headless even, and they've been on a slope downwards since J.R.D's retirement (personal opinion) and a strong landslide after Ratan's departure.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 22:29   #39
BHPian

Hi everyone! Tata Motors themselves finally got in touch yesterday and the matter was resolved mutually and amicably. I conveyed to the brand that Tata Motors needs to take genuine communication from the customer at face value and have a conversation, rather than leave it all on the dealer. I hope the feedback will be taken because the Harrier is definitely a well put together product, with minor flaws but one's that can be improved.

Thank you to GTO for taking up my ordeal so proactively. Makes one realise that amongst other reasons, gestures like these are probably why Team-bhp has maintained it's numero uno status amongst auto enthusiasts even after all these years. This is how brands become legends.

Next post will be my Harrier ownership report!

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th November 2019 at 22:59. Reason: Typos.
Jattitude is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 23:12   #40
BHPian

The lacklustre attitude of Tata was the reason why I was forced to cancel the Harrier booking and instead go for the Hector. The folks at Tata Vadodara were highly unprofessional and gave a hand written receipt in the form of booking acknowledgement.

Even though we had mentioned telesto grey as the desired color they called me atleast 5 times asking me to take an earlier delivery of a white one. And when I told them to check in the system it transpired that they had forgot to mention the color of my booking in their portal. The staff was also rude and was not ready to accept their mistake.

Compared to that the process and showroom experience at MG was a delight. The roofliner of my Hector had some stains which was promptly cleaned and they even offered to change the entire roofliner.

To conclude I have to say that Tata has a superior car line up which is spoiled by their showroom and staff.
msd7 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 23:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark knight

Whatever TATA might've done for the countrynin terms of educational institutions, hotels, food manufacturing etc, helmed by the past leaders, are in the past, ONLY. Today the company is faceless, headless even, and they've been on a slope downwards since J.R.D's retirement (personal opinion) and a strong landslide after Ratan's departure.
The landslide is due to RATAN. But I won’t say more since I know this isn’t the popular opinion.
Lalvaz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 08:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd7 View Post

To conclude I have to say that Tata has a superior car line up which is spoiled by their showroom and staff.
I second your views. Was and continue to be pleasantly delighted by the MG staff. Tata needs to change a lot on the ground. Superior cars don't sell by themselves. It's not going to happen overnight, but i really hope that Tata is already executing a plan in this direction.
Jattitude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 11:52   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
Next post will be my Harrier ownership report!
Great to hear that the matter is resolved! And you're keeping the Harrier now? Awesome - do share a detailed ownership thread with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
The landslide is due to RATAN. But I won’t say more since I know this isn’t the popular opinion.
Don't want to take the thread off-topic, but will just say that wholeheartedly.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 08:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
2) Sat in a Tigor EV the other day, good lord the rattles, everytime the chassis twisted there were rattles, not really sure if its from plastics or battery. No wonder it was released to fleet first, the vehicle is being flogged and not aging well at all.
Pardon my ignorance, but I fail to see how the rattling of Tigor has any relevance with the plight of Jatin which is being discussed in this thread?

I proudly own a 8+ years old Zen Estilo (did you say rattle? ). Recently, I took a test drive of Nexon and came out impressed. I was reading the issues reported by Jatin with utmost importance to understand the dealership issues which are often reported for Tata vehicles. Therefore, I would request members to discuss on the topic. Other issues can be posted in the relevant threads.

Thanks for your understanding.
gmhossain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 08:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Great to hear that the matter is resolved! And you're keeping the Harrier now? Awesome - do share a detailed ownership thread with us.

Yes, keeping the Harrier. Initial ownership review already in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I was reading the issues reported by Jatin with utmost importance to understand the dealership issues which are often reported for Tata vehicles.
One positive thing about Tata Motors is that the e-mail id's of their personnel including senior Management are old school, i.e. firstname.lastname@tatamotors.com. Atleast in the worst case scenario they are abreast of the issues with the customers. Now if they can use this to identify genuine cases and close the gaps. Someone shared with me that Tata Motors is already working at making dealerships better and sales people also better trained.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2019 at 08:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi quote option (Quote+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Jattitude is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks