Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 23:34   #1

Booked car before lockdown, but it's stuck in the registration stage

Hi everyone!

Hope you all are safe!

My friend booked a Hyundai car before the lockdown happened. He has been paying the loan EMIs, but the car is stuck in the registration stage. The dealer is very unresponsive and avoids discussions about delivery. I am aware that coronavirus has caused uncertainty, but a word of assurance from the dealer would have been great. Since RTOs are operating with a minimum capacity, at least the registration process can be started. The delivery can happen at a later date when things are back to normalcy.

How should we deal with this? We are in Bangalore.
Sandeepg33k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Booked car before lockdown, but it's stuck in the registration stage

That's odd lot of people I know have been informed by the banks that they do not need to pay their car loan EMIs for the period of the lock-down. Perhaps others might know better in this regard but I feel you should just wait and relax till the end of the lock-down.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 21:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a tricky situation. Dealership cannot deliver the Car till registration is complete.

Since RTO is closed partially, you can not get confirmation on registration

The only way out is to wait or cancel the booking if dealership has confirmed in writing that car is not registered yet

But, personally I suggest to wait. Everybody are constrained due to lock down now. The likely hood of delay in delivery due to cheap dealership tricks are very less.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 21:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a scenario many will be facing all over the country.

Since the lockdown was a pretty instant announcement and threw everyone off the tracks off guard we do cannot blame anyone.

However EMI will be taken automatically but it depends on how good his relationship with the bank is.

Cars will be struggling to sell and they will move stock with extremely heavy discounts now. I do not think he could get any benefits however irrespective of registration a car in India is generally delivered with Temp Reg and that happens a day or same day as delivery. So do not understand how he is paying his EMI and the car is not with him.

He should get in touch with Hyundai head office. I am sure they will respond more than eagerly and with swiftness .
Old 2nd May 2020, 21:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The predicament is that of uncertainity till the dealership gives a final word. Your friend must have paid the full amount. The EMI's can wait as per the govt order for three months till late June 2020, but interest and maybe penal interest will be levied, no doubt. Only saviour is that the financier cannot label him as a defaulter.

The best way is to talk with the dealer again and again and persuade him to give an assurance. Even the dealer can invoke the "force majeure" clause to deny your friend interest on the amount paid for booking.

If gentlemanly talks do not give your friend any tangible results, a legal notice can be issued. To take the legal recourse, it is better to submit an application to the dealer, requesting for early delivery of the car, with all details, xeroxes of receipts etc, and getting an acknowledgement of the same on a duplicate copy with your friend.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd May 2020 at 21:38.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 21:51   #6
BHPian

Many dealers have registered their BS4 stock in the last week of March 2020 (during lockdown) and they can certainly register your car if they want to. Though you will not get the HSRP.
Also, I would suggest somehow get the contact number of the someone higher up at the dealership and request him/her to get the process started.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 07:37   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Booked car before lockdown, but it's stuck in the registration stage

Mod Note: Thread moved to the dealership forum!
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

What can the dealer do? The world's come to a standstill. RTO's aren't working, so the dealer can't give you any assurance, if he does it will amount to bluffing and buying time. It's better for your friend to pay the EMI's and wait for the situation to pan out.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 08:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeepg33k View Post
Hi everyone!

Hope you all are safe!
. Since RTOs are operating with a minimum capacity, at least the registration process can be started. The delivery can happen at a later date when things are back to normalcy.
Buddy, hoping its a BS6 vehicle you are referring and not BS4 (for BS4 the registration date elapsed on 30.04).

With the new directives issued by government and respective state governments, the government offices have been allowed with 33% to 100% attendance. (depending on nature of services) w.e.f 04.05.20

So check at state level for directives, and RTO ideally falls in the category to be operational from today onwards. As it is, a lot of state RTOs did BS4 registration in last 2-3 days leading upto 30.04, so with the government relaxation they could be getting back to operations soon.
Old 10th May 2020, 14:50   #10
BHPian

I am in the same situation. Purchased a Hyundai Venue just before a day of the lockdown under Temp registration. The Temp registration has lapsed and so has temp insurance.

I contacted the dealer and got an RTO approval for renewing the Temp registration for three months because this is a special circumstance. I am ready to register and the RTO isn't. So its not my fault. also, updated the insurance for the next three months as well.

There is nothing much to do at this point as everything is at a standstill. Also, that means that my car's registration will be pushed to somewhere in August.
yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 13:29   #11

Not intending to hijack this thread - but am in somewhat of a similar situation (car booked AND registration done, but not delivered). So hoping some of the follow-up comments here would be relevant for the OP as well.

A little bit of background about the purchase - the final round of negotiations for the BS4 vehicle was concluded during the weekend of March 14. Given its a BS4 car, the March 31 deadline was very much looming over all of us. Therefore, the timelines I mention below are important to put things into perspective-

March 16 - I book the car, make a down payment, and sign the papers. I avail for the insurance through the dealer and for financing by the OEM. Agreed date of delivery is March 25.
March 17 - Complete the remaining paper work for availing the OEM financing. Also pay the remainder amount via cheque.
March 17 - get a sms & email confirmation from the insurance provider on March 17
March 20 - get a sms from the RTO indicating that the registration process has started March 23 - Get a message from the dealer that car cannot be delivered on March 25 due to prevailing lockdown situation

Around mid April - As I continue with my periodic follow-up with the dealer, I get convenient informed that while the car has not been delivered and is sitting at the dealer's stockyard, the clock has already started ticking on -
a) OEM Warranty
b) Insurance
c) EMIs

Now, I have been in multiple conversations with the dealer and the OEM, and am independently pursuing all 3 aspects mentioned above (not linking one with another), as there different actors at play here (OEM for Warranty part; Dealer, OEM and Insurance Company for the Insurance part; OEM's financing arm for the EMI part).

I was hoping to collate some broader view points and thoughts on
- What's a reasonable ask and a position to take for each of the three aspects above
- What's the best way to navigate through this

Just FYI - I've made progress on 2 of the 3 aspects mentioned above (and have reached a deal which seemed reasonable enough to me) and am continuing my pursuit in the third one. Would be happy to share more details, once we have some view points from others as well.
dbs09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 21:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
I am in the same situation. Purchased a Hyundai Venue just before a day of the lockdown under Temp registration. The Temp registration has lapsed and so has temp insurance.
What do you mean by Temporary Insurance? Normally, you need to have a minimum Third Party Liability Insurance to get your vehicle registered. Most showrooms also deliver vehicles with Temporary Registration and the Insurance is issued basis the Engine and Chassis number and the column for vehicle registration detail is mentioned as AF (Applied For).

So as long you have a valid temporary registration you can use your car and claim under insurance.

Most Viewed