Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 12:39   #61
BHPian

Re: The new normal, or the old usual - Service nightmare with Autobahn Skoda, Mumbai

As a present Skoda owner of an 8-year old model with no ownership complaints, I'm really concerned with this incident. I understand that Skoda had a bad reputation a few years ago through several true, bad experiences highlighted on T-BHP. Those memories are being relived on this forum through Granville Dsouza's friend. I'm glad that Skoda quickly pursued a resolution.

I'm part of several pan-India whatsapp & FB groups with mostly satisfied Rapid owners. I'm not speaking for all owners but based on personal experience, Skoda has moved great distances to improve their services. My experience is strictly with Malayalam Skoda, Trivandrum.

My point is that the Skoda management should realize that even one incident can bring back all the bad memories. They should be vigilant and ensure that this doesn't happen again. Skoda hasn't yet receive widespread approval like Maruti, Hyundai or even a Honda to let such transgressions pass.

Moral of the story? - Zac Hollis may be a great guy and Rider's pricing is awesome but even one negative story will bring the brand down. Heck, I'm a very satisfied Skoda customer yet it affects me mentally when I read incidents like this.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th July 2020 at 22:37. Reason: Minor typo
JojyKerala is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 12:39   #62
BHPian

Re: The new normal, or the old usual - Service nightmare with Autobahn Skoda, Mumbai

Happy to see the response from Skoda in quick time. Even though I would appreciate them for their response to our thread, It should be the other way round. They should not be waiting for their owners to raise the issue through Social Media and then pop up with a goodwill solution. Mr.Zac is doing a fantastic job but please, you have got a lot more things to do regarding your customer service. Initiate a revamp , fire some and hire some as a cleaning phase.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 15:15   #63
BHPian

I think the fact that your friend sent the car to a service center for a battery change, marked him out as a potential soft target - unfortunately in our country the crooks get away with it and consumers are left to their own devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please ask your friend to remove his car from that wretched workshop and take it to a good independent garage. As I'd told you earlier, I strongly recommend Sunil Shanbagh @ Select Auto. There are many other good, honest shops in The Team-BHP Directory.
I discovered Sunil Shanbagh thanks to GTO and Team BHP. My Linea and Santro are in the second decade of their lives with me and the good care that Mr. Shanbagh provides ensures that my vehicles give me good service. As has been mentioned in Team BHP, his service is excellent, takes time and is not cheap. He understands his limits of his technical capacity but takes ownership of work that he subcontracts to people in his network. This translates into peace of mind for me.

I had spoken with him a few weeks ago and he had started off in a limited way, hampered by labour unavailability.
swami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 18:13   #64
BHPian

This really hits close to home for me.

My Rapid Diesel AT was at same workshop in Autobahn Goregaon and assigned to the same gentleman SA whose name was mentioned.

My car was also not used regularly during lockdown and so, I had to jumpstart the battery a week before going to workshop. It worked well after that.

Once in workshop, they tried to ask me about battery, but luckily for me, I have a less than 2 year old Exide battery under warranty and so, they gave up trying to convince me to handle it after 2-3 tries, when they understood that I understood that I can get battery replacement for free.

I told up a Skoda 2 year maintenance plan which I was sold for about Rs 18000. I hope it is a valid maintenance plan and not a fake transaction.

But Skoda being Skoda, they have to be shady. When I went to collect my car, they said their billing system was not working and so, they did not give me a bill. So, they have still not given me a physical bill or emailed bill, since last Thursday. So, I have proof of credit card transaction but not the proof of work done. They also feigned that they cannot find my copy of work done when I asked for it. This same SA was involved. I could tell they had not vacuumed my car although they charged for cleaning but I didn't want to create a ruckus as I was almost driving away from the workshop and the SA had vanished by then.

I hope to raise these if Skoda calls me for feedback call. This is 2nd time this has happened in Autobahn. Everytime their billing system stops working on delivery day. But anyway Skoda will direct these back to Autobahn and nothing happens.

Will I ever consider Skoda? Never till the same dealers are there. I actually I am thinking of buying a Creta instead of Seltos as Kia also has Autobahn as dealer in Mumbai and they have been shady everytime I have interacted with them. But that's for another thread and day.
Sidban85 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 22:16   #65
BHPian

On one hand, I know Zac Hollis diligently looks after every single customer complaint on social media, but guess the dealers’ attitude isn’t gonna change that easily. I have had horror stories with my Polo @ Apple Auto in Bangalore. VAG seems to have gotten into a bad phase in India. Sigh, happens i guess.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 18:34   #66
BHPian

I know it's off topic but here in Delhi, all the Supreme Court and High Court judges' official cars are Skoda Superbs. I wonder how Skoda ASS deals with the VVIPs

P.S. The Superbs replaced Toyota Corollas!
captain.torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 16:17   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
This really hits close to home for me.

My Rapid Diesel AT was at same workshop in Autobahn Goregaon and assigned to the same gentleman SA whose name was mentioned.

My car was also not used regularly during lockdown and so, I had to jumpstart the battery a week before going to workshop. It worked well after that.

Once in workshop, they tried to ask me about battery, but luckily for me, I have a less than 2 year old Exide battery under warranty and so, they gave up trying to convince me to handle it after 2-3 tries, when they understood that I understood that I can get battery replacement for free.

I told up a Skoda 2 year maintenance plan which I was sold for about Rs 18000. I hope it is a valid maintenance plan and not a fake transaction.

But Skoda being Skoda, they have to be shady. When I went to collect my car, they said their billing system was not working and so, they did not give me a bill. So, they have still not given me a physical bill or emailed bill, since last Thursday. So, I have proof of credit card transaction but not the proof of work done. They also feigned that they cannot find my copy of work done when I asked for it. This same SA was involved. I could tell they had not vacuumed my car although they charged for cleaning but I didn't want to create a ruckus as I was almost driving away from the workshop and the SA had vanished by then.

I hope to raise these if Skoda calls me for feedback call. This is 2nd time this has happened in Autobahn. Everytime their billing system stops working on delivery day. But anyway Skoda will direct these back to Autobahn and nothing happens.

Will I ever consider Skoda? Never till the same dealers are there. I actually I am thinking of buying a Creta instead of Seltos as Kia also has Autobahn as dealer in Mumbai and they have been shady everytime I have interacted with them. But that's for another thread and day.
Hello everyone!

I have finally become a member of this community and will not have to bother my friend Granville with my vicarious posts. Foremost, thank you Granville and everyone else for your contributions. I am certain that, if it was not for Team-BHP, I would be running pillar to post (more certain, with a ~ INR 3,00,000 invoice).

To begin, Sidban85 seems to have faced something similar with the same team - this underscores the fact that the dealerships are up to no good and customers (notwithstanding their degree of general comfort/expertise with cars) must be really cautious with their cars being sent to such service centers. I do not think this is a matter of an individual being a habitual offender - but a matter of what is being inculcated.

On the previous post - I reserved two points for a later time: (a) name of the senior representatives who helped me out; and (b) an small irk worthy observation. These two still remain reserved and I will pick this up once my car is back with me, along with two additional observations.

As mentioned in my (Granville's) previous post, my car was expected back today. The Skoda team is still procuring a few parts (will get to this in the timeline). However, there is another development which has again infuriated/amused - do not know which one (please see 16 July below).

Now, the timeline - before that, please note that I have on every single day called up the Skoda team to follow up on the status (on calls, its one-way traffic):

13 July 2020:

Radio silence. Understandably - well understood that the Skoda team needs to procure the relevant parts.

14 July 2020:

Received an email from Shraddha (the CRM who handled this file inefficiently to begin with). In her words -

"We would like to update you that your vehicle part called multicluch has been received but the another part sims are pending , by tomorrow it would be available, further the process of replacement of the parts would be starting & would be updating you on the further things"

Need some education here - what exactly does the sims do? In all this fiasco (where I was being quoted astronomical amounts), this part was never mentioned. Hence, a quick line by any BHPian with a basic understanding of what a/the sims does will be appreciated.

15 July 2020:

Received an email from Shraddha again (to reiterate, the CRM who handled this file inefficiently from the beginning). In her most informative words -

"We would like to update you that your vehicle part called multicluch has been received but the another part sims would be received by today day end,further the process of replacement of the parts would be starting & would be updating you on the further things"

Copy paste job by changing today / tomorrow.

Apparently, the missing part is at Sewri (~ 23 kms from where the Jogeshwari service center is). Makes me wonder how Skoda cannot procure such fundamental components of the car in two days - Mumbai is surely the top 2-3 cities when it comes to Skoda customers. Be that as it may, lets afford some leeway.

16 July 2020 (4:30 pm):

This one takes the cake. I found merit in a few observations on this thread mentioning that I should also act a little more responsibly/diligently - after all it is my car. Therefore, I tried to dig up all papers from the past 3-4 years relating the service/battery change invoices.

Lo and behold my car's battery was replaced last year (invoice of 11 June 2019). My recollection was that the battery came with a 2 year warranty. So I called one of the guys at the Jogeshwari service center and confirmed this understanding. After he confirmed this, I asked him the obvious question of why I was being charged INR 7,800 this year then - obviously the guy acted dumb and asked for some time to check and get back. He called back (classic apologetic mask) and said that they will revise the costs and replace the battery under warranty. After multiple howlers, the Skoda team does not seem to have changed skin.

On 12 July, the manager of the Jogeshwari service center has given me a definite price quote of INR 33,000 (+ taxes) for brake pads, servicing, AC service and battery replacement. In his words:

"The vehicle reported to the workshop through towing condition, after the battery check up it was found an error on which we took the approval for the replacement in the initial stage to start the vehicle first. And since service was also found to be due for which the approval was also taken from you.

At the time of service we found that front brakes are worn out Ac not cooling.
The cost of over all includes Rs 33,000 + taxes for service ,battery ,Ac service ,brake pads."

Noteworthy, in my email to Skoda on 10 July I have categorically mentioned that I do not want the brake pad to be replaced. All of this is on record. I do not understand how many times can the folks at Skoda make this fiasco more laughable/infuriating. After me flagging this to the Skoda team, to cover up , the very kind Shraddha wrote to me:

"Thanks for sparing your valuable time on the call with Nishant, We would like to inform you that vehicle battery is under warranty and accordingly the things would be taken care off."

Ironically, here is the standard way Shraddha signs off on every email:

"Assuring you our best services & attention all the times"

What I am now not sure of is whether my car actually needed a battery change last year or did I fall prey to the typical Skoda way of working.

I have flagged this to the senior representatives of Skoda once again - hopefully this will be addressed too. I think this is absolutely unacceptable - mistakes after mistakes or bad faith after bad faith. Either way, does not make a very happy customer.

I am very inclined to take my car to an independent garage after this to verify if my car was fixed properly by Skoda. Is it worth it?

See you all soon (hopefully with my car parked in the parking lot)!!
RamotreK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 22:09   #68
BHPian

Hello,

Its been a long time since I have been to a Skoda service station, however, on going through this thread I thought I should put in my experience as well.

My friend owned a Skoda Octavia Rider and he used to get it serviced it at Heak Auto Nasik City. It was common for my friend to receive inflated bills for servicing. But what was more common was that the service center staff used to use the customer vehicles. If a customer has parked their car at the ASS, it was not uncommon for him to find it outside after the service center closes. And this practice was not limited to just the staff. The owner of the service centre used to do it as well.

One evening, I was standing outside a restaurant with some friends and I saw my friend's Octavia stop the restaurant, and not just stop, stopping as if the rider wanted to check how quickly the car can stop at a high speed. I went to the door of the car expecting to see my friend and instead it was the owner of the service station.

I think that Skoda makes very pretty cars. The new Octavia and and Superb look simply amazing. I sometimes look longingly at them and wonder if it could be my next car. Then I see such experiences and come back to my senses.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.
pareekvirendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 01:25   #69
BHPian

@RamotreK

Sir, I understand your tight schedule & tough work-life balance. But unfortunately in India all these emails & paper work doesn't actually reach down to the mechanics who live worlds apart from us.

It's a completely different India.

Paper work is absolutely fine & indeed necessary but if you are really concerned about the quality of the job, old fashioned physical presence, bit of why this & why that tough QnA is needed in the work floor to make these folks (the actual mechanics, supervisors) understand how careful you are with your ride & one way or another, their poor work (or out right cheating) will come back to them.

Unfortunately your profile is the perfect target for them to cheat. Yes, Skoda is really high on this list, but read this below thread, doesn't matter the brand, most of us aren't willing to leave our car unattended while service/repair related work going on. Not just trust issue, but it is to keep that pressure on them.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-drop-off.html (Car Servicing: Stay with the car, or just drop it off?)

Indeed its impossible for someone to be there every day but try to pay a visit once a while. Walk up to your car & poke them with few tough questions, ask them to show what's faulty. They may try to discourage you from accessing the service floor, but stay firm & they will.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 16:01   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha. It is so funny to see how this thread is turning out to be. Even the OP must be amused by now, being a lawyer, on the level of carelessness that be be displayed by a leading car manufacturer in the world. And the best part for which I am still awaiting the answer is that how an official service centre can give you 3 different diagnosis in 10 days. One can understand that you may get a rough estimate at the time of dropping the car but a span of 10 days must be ample time for any problem to be diagnosed. I have had cars returned to me with accidental insurance claims passed, work completed etc in 10 days time.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 08:24   #71
BHPian

What's the update here? There seems to be a delay in delivery of your repaired vehicle. Do keep us posted.
Moontan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:36   #72

Hello Everyone!

First the more important update - I finally got my car back yesterday (22 July 2020). Just over three weeks, but it is back - my car was dropped off at the Jogeshwari service center on 29 June 2020. I was required to pay ~INR 23,000 towards servicing, brake pad replacement and AC gas top up. For now, I have just been given the payment receipt and not a proper/complete invoice of the work done (including the goodwill replacements) - hopefully the proper/complete invoice will come through soon for my records and for the next time I have to visit an independent workshop/garage. To refresh your memory, at some point, I was quoted ~INR 2,94,800 to get back my repaired car.

Once again, a big thank you to everyone who has followed this thread and given their suggestions on the best way forward. A special mention to iliketurtles and Granville for taking out the time and visiting the Jogeshwari service center along with me on 18 July 2020 to guide me through (for context, this was the first time I met iliketurtles).

There has been some more drama since my last post (16 July 2020). Summary below:

a. As mentioned above, iliketurtles, Granville and I visited the service center on 18 July 2020 (early evening) to check on what is actually happening with the car. Before that, (the diligent) Nishant (Skoda) had called me in the morning to inform me that my car would be tested by noon and a final call would be taken if my car is good to be delivered. We reached the service center at 4:30 pm and went to the floor for a physical inspection of my car - the testing had not even started. Once again Nishant mentioned that my car will be tested within an hour and if everything was fine I could have it back. iliketurtles had a hunch that it would take more than an hour to get my car out. As we had an hour to play with, the three of us stepped out. Within 15 minutes of us stepping out, I got an email from the evergreen Shraddha (I actually think this is a Skoda BOT and not a natural person sending out emails which are based purely on AI) stating that my car would be delivered on 21 July 2020. In essence, within 15 minutes, the delivery of my car was deferred by three days. Naturally, there was anger and another round of calls to the Skoda higher ups. After multiple calls, I was told that Skoda would stick to the (new) 21 July timeline. Without any option, we left for the day.

b. On 20 July 2020, I was informed that while testing my car an error was observed in the ABS, which would also be replaced as part of Skoda's goodwill policy. But, the delivery of my car was deferred to 22 July 2020. Frankly, I had no other option but to wait. However, notwithstanding the goodwill replacement, for those keeping track, this is 4th diagnosis of my car in about three weeks.

c. On 22 July 2020, I finally got the call to pick up my car - trust me, it felt like I was going to purchase a new car. Went out for a test ride also with the service manager. The service manager did try once more to discuss all that went wrong over the past three weeks and defend his team (credit to him) but to my mind this was just damage control - no less.

Anyway, here are the few things I had reserved for later:

a. Vibhu Hajela was the senior Skoda representative who stepped in and helped out (subject to point b below). Vibhu was on speed dial for almost two weeks (again, because of point b below) - cant say that about the other representatives who were handling my file (including (a) the other senior representatives, and (b) the folks at the Jogeshwari service center).

b. Despite the fiasco, except for the first day when I was contacted by the senior Skoda representatives (after this thread blew up), I have had to follow up with Skoda very aggressively - that said, once I had followed up, I was given an update within 30 minutes. However, over the past 3 weeks, the ratio of my calls to that of Skoda's representatives (to me) is probably 20:1. It has been excruciating to deal with this and not get (expected/committed) updates. Abiding by timelines (even in case of a disgruntled customer) is certainly not given much importance within the Skoda ecosystem.

c. I was hounded for two days straight after this thread by the folks at the Jogeshwari service center to have this thread deleted (i.e. Nishant and the service manager). Goes to show that the primary intent (of the folks at the Jogeshwari service center) was still avoiding internal disciplinary action (if there is any) rather than trying to fix my car. When I ran out of patience, I had to flag this off to Vibhu and after that the folks at the Jogeshwari service center backed off.

d. GEM OF THE THREAD - After quoting ~INR 60,000 for replacement of the multi-clutch and a potential ~INR 2,00,000 for replacement of the mechatronic (if found faulty), Nishant mentioned to me (after the goodwill replacement was approved) during one of the calls that 99% of times it is only a fault of the multi-clutch and if the multi-clutch is replaced there would not be a need to replace the mechatronic . This is outrageous. Suddenly, all fundas were recasted. Until the goodwill replacement was not in play, I was being given a daunting quotation. Right after a goodwill replacement was committed, the mechatronic fault became a remote possibility. Finally, the following goodwill replacements were done for my car (as communicated verbally/on call): (a) multi-clutch, and (b) ABS - just waiting for the final invoice (including for the goodwill replacement). Per the final Skoda testing/results, the mechatronic is working just fine and therefore was not required to be replaced.

Anyway, that's it about my car and ordeal. I hope the invoice comes through soon - been reading that Skoda is also known for not delivering the final invoice citing internet/printer issues. Hoping that is not the case for me.

To conclude on a lighter note, now that I have managed to save a funeral, I will look to buy this beauty (Covid vengeance shopping): https://www.tagheuer.com/in/en/timep...14.FC6486.html
RamotreK is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 23:18   #73
BHPian

It's great and releiving that you finally got the car, after 3 whole weeks. Not sure what you would have done in a non-COVID-19 situation, since your vehicle is your daily driver!
Although the gesture of a temporary replacement car was offered, somewhere later on, something that I believe has importance to this thread that you may have missed out on. Some brownie points for Skoda? Unsure!

Time to stay away from Skoda and find yourself an independent garage. That will ensure you will have the moolah for many such watches that can be added to the existing collection

Reading the thread from earlier and replies to the same, something does look fishy here, what it really is, no idea. Looks like the service center should go under the scanner for some through inspection, if Skoda, is infact reading this. It's uncanny that this repeats itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post

But Skoda being Skoda, they have to be shady. When I went to collect my car, they said their billing system was not working and so, they did not give me a bill. So, they have still not given me a physical bill or emailed bill, since last Thursday. So, I have proof of credit card transaction but not the proof of work done. They also feigned that they cannot find my copy of work done when I asked for it. This same SA was involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamotreK View Post
Hello Everyone!

First the more important update - I finally got my car back yesterday (22 July 2020). Just over three weeks, but it is back - my car was dropped off at the Jogeshwari service center on 29 June 2020. I was required to pay ~INR 23,000 towards servicing, brake pad replacement and AC gas top up. For now, I have just been given the payment receipt and not a proper/complete invoice of the work done (including the goodwill replacements) - hopefully the proper/complete invoice will come through soon for my records and for the next time I have to visit an independent workshop/garage. To refresh your memory, at some point, I was quoted ~INR 2,94,800 to get back my repaired car.

Anyway, that's it about my car and ordeal. I hope the invoice comes through soon - been reading that Skoda is also known for not delivering the final invoice citing internet/printer issues. Hoping that is not the case for me.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 09:39   #74
BHPian

It has been almost 2 weeks since I got the car back after servicing, but unlike last few years, no one from Skoda has bothered to call about feedback.

I have still not got a proper bill itemizing the work done. Are their billing systems down for 2 weeks in Autobahn?

Some things never improve, like Skoda ASS.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th July 2020 at 10:48. Reason: Removing extra space
Sidban85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamotreK View Post
Hello Everyone!

First the more important update - I finally got my car back yesterday (22 July 2020).
Very happy to know that you got your car finally.
Quote:
just waiting for the final invoice (including for the goodwill replacement)
Real problem for Skoda is to give you an invoice. 99% chances are there was nothing wrong in the car except battery. Now:

1. If they replace quoted parts without need of it and bill it (with 0 cost), it is a big loss for them. (still preferred solution to save their image)

2. If they don't change parts and bill it (with 0 cost), you can very well know that by visiting an FNG that they have not changed it.

3. If they don't change parts and don't bill it, everyone will know that tried to cheat you.

That's why they need extra time to issue an actual invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
I parked my car at my parking lot before the nationwide lockdown was imposed (emphasis on "I parked my car"). Thereafter, as someone who loves his car, I tried to start my car after a week to keep the battery alive. Sadly, my car did not respond.
May be slightly OT:

Same thing happened with my Honda City. I parked the car on 9th July and didn't start it for 13 days. On 22nd July evening, when I tried to start, the car did not respond. I peacefully slept and next morning checked price on batterybhai and similar 2-3 websites for Amaron Pro and Flo batteries, called couple of dealers and got Amaron Flo battery for Rs.3000. Amaron Pro was not available. I did not even try to jump start and continuing old battery because it was 2y11m old SF Sonic OEM battery.

You guessed it right, car started in first attempt after battery change.
mukeshgoel is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks