Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 16:14   #76
BHPian

Re: What's the biggest whopper a car salesman gave you in his pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post

Who is this gentlemen forum is using in the link to this post (but not found in thread) , some stock photo ? I feel pity that he is the face we will remember for the stupidity of many from SA community.
This is car salesman Ali Reda from Michigan who supposedly holds record for most cars sold in a year.

Kindly refer to this thread (Salesman from Michigan sells 1,582 cars in a year! Beats 44-year record).

Last edited by srvm : 24th September 2020 at 16:16.
srvm is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:31   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened over 20 years ago in Jul 2000, I wanted to buy a Maruti Esteem and went to the local dealers to check one out but I wanted only the MPFI i.e. Euro 3 model. The sales person gave me some bromide about how Indian fuel was not suitable for fuel injected engines and would give me problems. He advised me to buy the older carburetted model. I refused and went on from dealer to dealer until one of them, Chougule Industries, said they would procure a MPFI model for me. Booked the car and it was delivered in 15 days.

Yes, folks back then actually believed the sales pitch and many went in for carburetted models only to realise much later that FI engines did fine with Indian fuel.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:24   #78
Senior - BHPian

Few years back I went to Dakshin Honda to test drive the Petrol Automatic Jazz. After filling the details sales staff said "sir we do not have petrol automatic available for test drive. Why don't you test drive diesel manual instead? both are same".
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 19:31   #79
BHPian

Sometime in the mid 2000s I attended some small expo or motor show (probably put up by engineering college students) in Kerala. Bajaj had a stall, and was showcasing their latest model Discover or Platina. One very young, overenthusiastic salesman (boy, rather) was nicely explaining how Bajaj had used new technology called Aerodynamic to shape the bike to increase fuel efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTurbo View Post
I eventually call him back and he tells me he had a 104 fever and was in the hospital till yesterday. Not wanting to argue I say it’s fine and he says he’s near coming to my house right then and was bringing the car. I hesitantly agree after consulting my father and grandfather. He ends up coming in the complete wrong car.

. ..but we continued to get 10 calls everyday from 8am to 11pm and eventually we block him. Think this SA spoilt our entire outlook and opinion on Jeep India.
I guess it speaks a lot about how much pressure the chap was under to make the sale. Probably very poor guidance and support from the seniors at the dealership also.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th November 2020 at 14:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
sachinnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:45   #80
BHPian

I wasnt happy with the air conditioning in the car after a couple of days of delivery. The SA then went around telling I shouldnt be using the climatecontrol and must close other vent flaps and use only one flaps directing all air to me for maximum cooling. I thanked him and left the premises.
Marshall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:22   #81
BHPian

I wen to book the new 2020 Thar, almost paid the booking amount. The sales manager comes up and tells me:

a) whatever accessories Mahindra bills him (dealership) I have to buy them, I have no choice. He said that Mahindra bills them ₹ 10 lakh worth of accessories for every 10 Thars they order.
b) He won't allow me get my own insurance, neither will match the quote. He said that because it's a newly launched car, this their policy. Sales Manager quoted 2.5 times the quote I generated on HDFC ergo website (identical benefits).

I asked his name and walked out.
raj.singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 08:44   #82
BHPian

2016, while researching on AWD/ 4wd, I landed up in the MnM showroom at Gachibowli, Hyderabad. The facelifted Scorpio was newly launched " Kitni deti hay" was a major concern everywhere back then. It still is !

Me: I am looking for the 4wd variant of Scorpio.
Salesman : Sure Saar, new technology in new Scorpio, more mileage.
Me: Okey, is there a 4wd on display or in basement.
Salesman: 4wd less mileage Saar, take new front wheel drive.
Me : Okey.
Me : Sorry, front wheel drive Scorpio ?
Salesman : Yes all Scorpios are now front wheel drive.
Me: But the differential is at the rear.
Salesman : It's just a dummy to give the "feel" .
Me : Really ? You have a 4wd test drive vehicle available.
Salesman : Mahindra has stopped making 4wd because of less mileage.
Me: Ok thank you ....

Ended up getting a Duster AWD.

Last edited by ARAY : 29th November 2020 at 08:46.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 14:02   #83
BHPian

Mid 2018 sold my 10 yrs old Fiat Palio Stile MJD and searching for petrol automatic hatchback for miserable Bangalore ORR Techpark traffic then

AMT gearboxes were the lowest cost so started with Tata Tiago & Tigor AMT which had jerks when shifting gears with lot of sound and SA advised always to use Sports Mode for smoothness as Normal Mode is only for heavy city traffic where jerky switch shall happen, dropped Tata AMT's immediately .

Premium Automatic Hatchbacks only Honda Jazz and Suzuki Baleno had CVT automatic options and new Honda Amaze was yet to be launched

Honda Jazz CVT had rubberband effect and SA kept saying to use paddleshifters when i floored the accerlator and he told on highway it shall be smooth not in city dropped Jazz CVT as it was expensive also than Baleno CVT

Suzuki Baleno Delta CVT Automatic was clear winner as test drove with 5 ppl loaded and the SA confirmed it can climb on hills without any issues

Nexa SA was trying to sell top end model with all accessories while I am not a alloy wheel, touch screen, too much chrome lover anyways

Dropped the extended warranty and picked extra accessories instead like reverse camera and display screen

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st December 2020 at 08:54. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 1st December 2020, 07:58   #84
BHPian

'All this build quality talk is nonsense, sir. If someone has to die, they will die even in a Mercedes.'
- Nexa salesman, circa 2019

I did go ahead and buy the Ciaz after that, albeit from a different dealership, but I did tell him he should've been a philosopher than a salesman.
SgtRepeat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 11:48   #85
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRepeat View Post
'All this build quality talk is nonsense, sir. If someone has to die, they will die even in a Mercedes.'
- Nexa salesman, circa 2019

I did go ahead and buy the Ciaz after that, albeit from a different dealership, but I did tell him he should've been a philosopher than a salesman.
Nexa salesman should not wear seat belts, if someone has to die, they will die wearing seat belts also
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 08:49   #86
Senior - BHPian

I have been through a lot of BS while buying cars, right from specifications (SA's are almost never right on numbers) to messing up technology and terminology. Its almost comical where I sort of interview the SA on their knowledge at times.

But this time around with regards to my Creta, I decided enough is enough. I didn't want to go through a sales pitch on Hyundai after having seen its cousin the Seltos in action on a couple of occasions. The primary factor turned out to be rear seat comfort. I met the GM of the Hyundai dealership and told him my choice of variant and colour and that was it. A fully No-nonsense deal.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 5th December 2020 at 08:52.
Old 25th December 2020, 10:47   #87
BHPian

So I have a very interesting one by an MG salesman.

When asked why the Gloster isn't offered in the Savvy option for the 7 seater variant, he tells me that MG has designed the vehicle in such a way that ADAS will not work with 7 seats!

I tell him ADAS has no relation to the number of seats in the car and he says that Savvy variant has premium features which are for the select few and not for large families.

Should I be offended or amused?
Old 25th December 2020, 20:20   #88
BHPian

This is a story I heard from someone. Don't know if its true or not.

Sales Consultant while showing boot space of a sedan, "Sir, look at the huge boot space in this car. One can easily put two dead bodies in it."

fazayal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 22:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazayal View Post
This is a story I heard from someone. Don't know if its true or not.

Sales Consultant while showing boot space of a sedan, "Sir, look at the huge boot space in this car. One can easily put two dead bodies in it."

You could easily fit 3 if you use a mixer

I'm sure this sale was to a mob boss
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 21:52   #90
BHPian

I believe the year was 2011 or 2012 .

I was getting my Honda City serviced, at the Windsor Honda Showroom, which was on the VIP Road, Calcutta . ( I say "was" because the showroom has shut down ).

While waiting for the car to be delivered, I walked over to the car display lounge to check out the newly launched Eighth Gen Honda Accord . The model which was on display did not have projector headlamps .

I pointed that out to the Sale Representative and asked, " How come a car worth 28 lakhs does not have Projector headlamps whereas a Skoda Fabia worth 6 - 7 lakh has them ? "

( Now I understand the headlamps are not on the top of the list, when I consider buying a car; engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, comfort, space etc are. But a set of Projector headlamps would certainly not hurt a car, right ? )

Anyway, back to the topic, the Sales Rep replied " Sir, those are illegal . Hence Honda did not put them in their car ."

Me : " Are you sure ? I mean, by your logic all Skoda cars are illegal ."
Sale Rep: " Yes, they are . Daily a lot of Skoda cars are getting challaned and Govt of India is going to ban them soon "

Me: " Okay then, ( pointing out to the Honda CR-V with projector headlamps on display ) how are you selling that soon-to-banned SUV ? It has projector headlamps, it must be illegal "

Sales Rep : " Actually Sir, Honda has special permission for Govt of India to sell those cars . It's perfectly legal ."

Me: " Sure, sure . If you say so "
SB08121980 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks