Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses they incurred during this pandemic crisis?
Yes 152 77.16%
No 45 22.84%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 20:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses incurred during the pandemic?

My experience at Honda in Bombay was good. Had given the car for the automatic transmission fluid to be changed a few weeks ago. I have always insisted that they do just the bits I've said and nothing more so they've stick to what I've asked for. I also always ask for an approximate cost first before agreeing to the service.

Have now given my TUV 300 to Mahindra. So far its been a very good experience. They've kept me updated on whatsapp / phone about costs, parts and status. Lets hope it stays that way!

I have not seen any difference in due to the lockdown apart from that fact that Honda got the car disinfected before they started work on it (I think it was a few hundred bucks) - they said it was standard practice for any vehicle entering their premises during this pandemic.

Last edited by theqca : 24th October 2020 at 20:18.
Old 24th October 2020, 21:58   #32
BHPian

Re: Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses incurred during the pandemic?

I don't trust the service centres at all, authorised or fng nor do I like getting the work done in my absence. I make sure to stand by the car and get the work done in front of my eyes even if it takes hours or entire day.

The Mahindra service centre people keep requesting me to sit inside the customer lounge but I tell them frankly that I want to see the work get done.

For my 20 years old Lancer I go to a local workshop and stand there and guide them about the work to be done on my car and many times I myself keep doing some repairing work.

I know it's not easy for most of us to give a working day of ours at the service centre but the day I schedule the servicing of my car, either I have less work load or I keep my work off.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 22:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
My experience at Honda in Bombay was good. Had given the car for the automatic transmission fluid to be changed a few weeks ago. I have always insisted that they do just the bits I've said and nothing more so they've stick to what I've asked for. I also always ask for an approximate cost first before agreeing to the service.

May i ask which service center you use at Honda? I have recently taken delivery of my Honda car, will be useful to know the good SCs.
Old 24th October 2020, 22:15   #34
BHPian

I had given my car for the 3yr/30k service a couple of weeks ago and I was quoted significantly more than what the Hyundai service calculator projected. The quote was over 8k and the final bill came to 6k. Hyundai app was quoting about 3.5k.

The regular periodic maintenance service or PMS as Hyundai calls them, costs 2.4k in labour and parts extra. I use mineral oil and this time the air intake filter was replaced and got the internal smoke sanitization done. They have done the brake overhauling of the rear brakes only and billed it separately and have not touched the front brakes. I thought the brake overhauling (just cleaning and greasing) was part of the PMS but they told it's billed separately.

Even though the bill seems low, it's more than what I was told the 3rd year service costs will be. They even billed me for the windshield washer filled and car shampoo for cleaning the car. Also during the service I was asked to replace the starter motor as there was half a second delay for the car to start after the start button was pushed. I think it's because of the three year old battery and not the motor.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 24th October 2020 at 22:24.
Old 24th October 2020, 22:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
May i ask which service center you use at Honda? I have recently taken delivery of my Honda car, will be useful to know the good SCs.
I've visited Arya Honda at Mazagaon. As I said earlier, I would suggest that you be very specific in what you want done, get an approx quote, tell them to check with you before replacing parts etc.
Old 25th October 2020, 03:04   #36
BHPian

2 years back i took my E200 in for servicing to Silver arrows, noida but since I went there for the first time, they thought they could fleece me by saying that the battery,brake pads,and struts have to be replaced even though my car had run a mere 18,000 kms ! This left a very bad experience in my mind and I have since shifted to T&T.
Old 25th October 2020, 11:22   #37
BHPian

Common scams are, engine coating, teflon coating or under body coating. Don't fall prey to it.

Read owners manual that will give you fair idea what must be in every scheduled service. Engine oil, fuel filters, air filter and coolant are vitally important for the long life of your car. They must be replaced in timely manner.

For any repair, check authorised labour and part cost. Demand damaged part replaced. Best way is to get quote for the job to be done and check it.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:51   #38
BHPian

Hell yeah the service centers are fleecing. They were fleecing before the pandemic and they are fleecing even more now.

Had my Dzire's 30k service done yesterday. The keyfob's battery needs to be replaced and the SA was asking my consent to change the battery during the service for 150 rupees. A CR 2032 battery costs 20 to 30 bucks at near by electronics stores, even sellers in Amazon sell 5 for 150 rupees.

Also the labour cost has gone up quite significantly. The overall cost for the 30k service with oil and filter changes cost me 7.2k which is definitely on the higher side.
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Hell yeah the service centers are fleecing. They were fleecing before the pandemic and they are fleecing even more now.

Had my Dzire's 30k service done yesterday. The keyfob's battery needs to be replaced and the SA was asking my consent to change the battery during the service for 150 rupees. A CR 2032 battery costs 20 to 30 bucks at near by electronics stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
I don't remember which brand it was because it came packed as Honda genuine parts. I know it was from Japan because the sticker on the packet clearly mentioned the same and the replacement was done in front of me.

Even I was shocked that a cell battery costs >400 rupees but later on a friend told me that he used to face a problem of reduced operation range after going for the local brands. He even told me that the cheaper one did not last very long and hence even he went for the OEM next time.
+1 to OSH’s comment.

My Micra’s fob required a battery change 2 yrs ago. I went to the local electronics store & got myself a cheap battery of the same size & installed it in my key fob. To my surprise (more like shock), the key fob now wouldn’t work at all and I had to lock/unlock the door using the physical keyhole.

Took the car to the Nissan dealer the next day, and turns out the battery which I had purchased was so bad, it had messed up the transponder in the fob. As a result, the dealer had to reprogram the fob using their dealer scan tool & put in a Nissan OEM replacement battery (I think Panasonic, made in Japan). The whole process cost me more than a thousand bucks!

After this experience, I’ve made a mental note to NEVER buy non OEM spec key fob batteries for any of our vehicles as I can’t afford to risk the cheap stuff ruin my key fob, or worse, the ECU/immobiliser.

I say penny wise, pound foolish. There are some bits in a vehicle which will only work best with OEM spares.

With regards to the fleecing problem, I have created the below flow chart which may or may not be useful for somebody who isn’t savvy with automobile servicing or dealing with the ASC.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...0eaf2457b.jpeg
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

My Ecosport was sent to Ford Service for replacement of cracked (hence noisey) air filter housing. They did not have it and said no point replacing it !!

Instead they asked me to have my clutch replaced, which has full bite but surely a tad hard than it used to be.
Then I was asked to have gear shifter cable replaced ( odo 46000 kms) The gear shift of the Ecosport was never slick & it still does not ever miss a gear - EVER !

So yes they are looking for revenue.

Querry :
How much does the Ecosport TDCi cluth usually run trouble free ?
Has anyone needed to change the gear shifter cable ?

Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:50   #41
BHPian

Voted Yes.
Even before the Pandemic, the SA would try and pull a fast one, specially if one had not done one's homework.
I was asked 3000 Rs for changing the windshield wipers on my Endevour. Politely said No, and got a pair from Amazon for like 600Rs.
Old 26th October 2020, 17:51   #42
BHPian

I think you can't say a generalized yes or no in this case. It is something which varies highly from one service center to another. And even in a single service center service advisers are different people with different ethics and moral values. I think a greedy SA will try to fleece you when at the same time another honest one won't do so. One should try to get a feel of what type of approach the SA is taking overall.
Old 29th October 2020, 08:48   #43
BHPian

Voted No. Recently went to Honda ASS for 100,000 KM service for my 2008 Honda Accord AT. Other than the usual service routine ATF replaced , brake bled and brake fluid replaced,disks skimmed. I had specifically told the service adviser not to touch the steering and suspension unit along with engine mountings as that was something i had taken care of from our preferred mechanic. Car brought to service center at 9 AM delivered at 1 PM. The bill came out to be 14000 /- , however paid 12000 /- as there was some program run by Honda as a consequence of which there was discount on labor!

Last edited by ritedhawan : 29th October 2020 at 08:55.
Old 29th October 2020, 11:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.
Got both our cars serviced during the pandemic, didn't face any issues.

My wife's car underwent first paid service in August which included oil change, except for a push for unnecessary add ons, I didn't face any issues.

My car underwent it's 80K service yesterday. Normal service with oil change. No upselling and no add ons. The service advisor did inform on few things to keep an eye out for which included drive belt, fan motor, drive shaft bearing and rear coil spring bushes.
He insisted these are not urgent and could last for another 10K. Ford has really come a long way from it's earlier image of being expensive to maintain.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:12   #45
BHPian

I am getting daily calls asking for car to be given for a service nowadays in spite of me telling them not to call me again. Even earlier, I used to get such calls, but not at this frequency. I see the desperation on their part here. BTW My car usage has come down drastically as well & will get it fully serviced only when I have a major trip planned (not in near term anyways).

Edit: My car is a ford figo (2013 ZDi model) and has run <35K KM.

Also, I have decided to stick to my local / friendly garage to get all works done going forward.

PS: I have not voted as I have not given the car for servicing

Last edited by null : 29th October 2020 at 16:16.

Most Viewed