Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses they incurred during this pandemic crisis?
Yes 152 77.16%
No 45 22.84%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 20:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses incurred during the pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
No personal experience yet. But voted yes based on the general impression that even in normal scenarios service centers will fleece customers pushing in things that is not required. With the Covid lockdowns and the pressure on revenue, I am pretty sure they would trying to do this more than ever.

Volkswagen has consistently been calling me to bring in car for service. They rarely used to proactively call earlier.
Agree to this post and voted Yes, as I took my Honda City for service and was given a quote of 6K for a car that's run 16K in 5.5 years. The culprits were the air and pollen filter (both together costing 1.1K), Major service: 2.5 K (for a car that ran less than 200 km from the last service). Synthetic oil (1.6K) for a car that even in pre covid times, didn't run more than 1000 KM in an year!

The bill would have been 1 K more as they had added "Engine bay cleaning" for Rs. 980. I asked them to take it out and they did. Total bill : 5.7 K - I would say this is reasonable for a Honda City that's serviced once an year, but I wonder if the services done are worth the amount?

Here's the funny part: I'm miffed because they didn't do more jobs! Our car hasn't had a brake bleeding/brake fluid change or transmission fluid change ever since it rolled of the assembly line 5.5 years ago. I specifically asked the SA to check brake system and other fluids and told him that we are going to take the car on a 1200 KM trip to Kerala in 2 weeks.

The SA said that "Your vehicle has not run much so no need to replace these things. We checked the brake system and lubricated the caliper pins, it won't fail on your trip".The car was returned in 4 hours of being dropped off at the ASC.Revenue of ~ Rs.1500/hr for the ASC.

We're going to undertake a road trip with a car that has brake and transmission oil aged (gracefully) at 5.5 years. Oh well, the colour of the brake fluid still looks OK and the car will get a new set of tires

Last edited by govindremesh : 21st December 2020 at 20:58.
Old 21st December 2020, 20:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses incurred during the pandemic?

Nah! Service centers are always on the lookout for the uninformed to add useless stuff to your service bill. This has been happening for ages, long before we even experienced a pandemic first hand.
Old 22nd December 2020, 00:24   #48
BHPian

Greetings,

Voted YES. Recently got my MS Baleno 1.3 Alpha (2016) serviced for 110k kms in Gurugram. Initial estimate given to me was 7-8k rupees inclusive of everything to which I agreed. I was there at the service station full-time and was observing all the process.

They had charged 130 something for some degreaser, 200 for foam wash liquid, 90 for some anti-rust, 175 sanitisation charge, 450 ac vent cleaning, 200 some diagnostic charge, 10 for door rubber, 10 for some elfy, 50 for some plastic cover, 200 for some lubricant for cleaning and some things more. The bill came out to be 11k something and they didn't do any sanitisation or vent cleaning or whatsoever. The SA was such a crook and told me that all has been done and I need to pay and when I told him I was there all the time and any sort of things was not done and also, if any of the lubricant or elfy or whatever has been used, I need the remaining or leftover things back. Then he removed all those extra charges and gave a discount too. MSIL ASS are charging for inspection too and sometimes I feel they misguide the customer.

Really grateful to this forum that some basics have been understood, else I would have ended paying 11k.

I have called up their customer service and apprised them of this, let's see if they look into the matter with seriousness.

Thanks.
adv.yzr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 17:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

On my visit to KHT Motors Tata service center this morning for regular Periodic Maintenance Service, got a taste of it myself. I wouldn't go for Nano but decided to out of caution as the horn had stopped working within a week of change in the last service & was locally refit properly.

The SA didn't even turn on the car, just wrote down all the service charges (PMS - Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, coolant, WA/WB) & add-ons, he didn't check that the car had AMC (which he himself sold me last time) & as soon as I told him so, he strikes off the coolant change. SA became rather rude immediately after this. So, suddenly if it turns out the customer has AMC, then the car requires only what is called a minor service & doesn't need coolant change even if its 2 years old. Anyway.

Then again, same as last service, SA calls in the afternoon claiming the air filter hose was found ruptured & would be changed (ofcourse on chargeable basis). When asked why same part is an issue in every service, he dismisses it is as common issue.

Why did I decide to write about it? Terrible attitude of the SA, from being unwilling to even Turn ON the crank (forget test drive) before taking it up for service, being generally un-attentive, to being uptight about the necessary work just after they come to know they car has AMC, not sharing any updates on WhatsApp, ending calls abruptly etc.

Hope they won't come up with worse stuff tomorrow before delivery. Lets see.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 11th January 2021 at 18:02.
GrammarNazi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 19:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Voted YES. My Hyundai dealer tried to palm off injector cleaning at 40k service of my Elantra. Also, they didn't even bother to fix the only issue I actually reported. And their approximations can be off the actual bills we eventually pay if one is not careful esp. if you use the pickup service and don't take the car yourself.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 25th January 2021 at 19:40.
Old 25th January 2021, 21:43   #51
BHPian

Voted No. My Figo was not running regularly for some time due to the lock down and I was out of station since March. I took it to the service center as soon as I got the chance to travel back to my work location around November. The SA made sure only the essentials were addressed, and gave me a list of items that could be replaced during the next service. They could've easily taken me for a ride, as there were a quite few issues that needed to be addressed (this included the injectors that were showing some fault).

In addition there was some parts discount offer for old Ford cars, and some of the items that I had to replace were done at a reduced cost.

I have taken my car several times to this service center, and I always call this SA to make sure he is available, prior to that. I haven't had a reason for complaint so far.
Old 25th January 2021, 21:55   #52
BHPian

Yes , I recently gave my vehicle to service - 130000 kms and I was quoted around 5k as service amount (basic oil changes, greasing stuff activities). I agreed and left the car at service center. While I was travelling back home in public transport , SA calls and inform me that the lower arm & the bush has gone bad and it needs to be replaced. I agreed to it since I was experiencing rattling sound on left suspension . All work done satisfactorily and I received bill of total 11k . They even returned the bad lower arms neatly packed in the original MGP box. Upon inspection it seems the lower arm was quite ok and it was just the bush that needs to replaced. Lesson learnt with hole in pocket: - Always stay at service center while major job is being done.
alexpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 00:13   #53
BHPian

Got charged Rs. 85 for Microfiber cloth used for cleaning vehicle from a Maruti ASS in Lucknow.

Small Rant
Things have gone bonkers with govt. wanting to Tax us to death and everyone trying to make a quick buck coming out of the pandemic.
AyushB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 09:38   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

So our Ford Aspire's gone to the service center after very many months and my dad sends me this,

Are Service Centres fleecing, to make up for losses incurred during the pandemic?-engine.jpeg

Engine coating?
Old 26th February 2021, 12:48   #55
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post

I have called up their customer service and apprised them of this, let's see if they look into the matter with seriousness.

Thanks.
Unlikely. I had a similar experience as yours with Kiran Motors in Ahmedabad for my Ignis 40k periodic service. Absolutely horrible service and hugely overinflated bills. They charge for small, useless things. My car already had door protectors on all 4 doors, and yet the ASS guy installed ON TOP of the existing ones, and charged me 250 bucks without even asking or telling me. Being an idiot, I didn't realise this after the car got home. And the servicing itself was pathetic. Greased dashboard, door handle, rattling sounds all over. I escalated the matter to the regional manager, and I just got an email saying that the in charge of the service center will call me and take care of the issue. The manager did call me but it was just to tell me 'sir why did you complain I could have solved your problem'. Horrendous experience. There was no follow up from the higher ups. Makes me want to look for other options, if the regional managers are not bothered.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:17   #56
BHPian

Dear All,
I am attaching a quote for my BMW. The car is 2019 registered and has done 13000km . No problems to mention other than a regular oil change service. See what all is added. It's thanks to Team-Bhp that one has come to learn about the padding and inflation done to service bills. Needless to say, have refused almost all the jobs other than oil and filter change.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW estimate.pdf (14.8 KB, 245 views)
Old 12th March 2021, 18:50   #57
BHPian

Believe that. Thank God its not 485. I experienced Maruti dealer at the time of service estimation, selling me a pair of so called Microfiber 'certified by maruti' for 799.
Our rant will remain just that. We are no longer the required vote bank'. Sorry for the irrelevance Mods. Feel free to edit this. But I'm afraid there's something that's going seriously wrong within our country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyushB View Post
Got charged Rs. 85 for Microfiber cloth used for cleaning vehicle from a Maruti ASS in Lucknow.

Small Rant
Things have gone bonkers with govt. wanting to Tax us to death and everyone trying to make a quick buck coming out of the pandemic.
BobbypinsGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks