Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2021, 18:03   #16
BHPian

re: Poor VW Polo GT buying experience (EVM Perumbavoor / Kottayam). EDIT: Matter resolved, page 3

I had similar experience recently with my Jeep compass booking i.e. Dealership tried to deny delivery 2 months after booking. In my case escalating the issue to manufacturer and opening a complaint against dealership helped. Following is the link to my thread related to this issue:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ed-advice.html (Jeep Compass booking goof-up by Landmark Jeep, Delhi | Need advice)

My suggestion would be to register a Formal complaint (take the complaint number also) with VW customer care and follow up on that complaint. In my case it helped a lot, in fact FCA customer care was too good to handle it.

I hope VW can resolve this and wish you have thousands of miles of driving pleasure with your first car!
pankaj_9730 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 18:18   #17
BHPian

re: Poor VW Polo GT buying experience (EVM Perumbavoor / Kottayam). EDIT: Matter resolved, page 3

My friend faced almost exactly same issues around 3 months back.

Red Polo Highline booked at EVM Vytilla, Cochin, they said waiting period is 2-3 months, but Red GT TSI is immediately available. My friend didn't want to go for GT TSI since the difference in features doesn't make sense to spend an extra 70K. The experience with VW EVM, Vytilla was pretty much consistent and professional with what they said, but my friend couldn't wait 3 months so he canceled the booking.

Since he wanted the car in a month or less he contacted other dealers for the Red Highline variant. Sales guys from VW showroom at Thiruvalla told they can arrange the car in 2 weeks, but he should strictly have a loan on the car also need to buy some add-on kit worth 15-20k then only they can deliver the car. My friend was planning to pay in full payment and since the sales guy was very demanding with loan and add-on kit part he didn't go with them, we felt the sales guy was the most unprofessional when comparing to the other guys we interacted with.

Then we contacted VW Kottayam and they said the car can be delivered in two weeks, but he needs to do ceramic coating and buy add-on kit of 15k otherwise, there are other customers with preference. My friend told the sales guy that he is going to book Skoda Rapid and closed the Red Polo Highline hunt there. Within an hour sales guy called him again and said he can arrange the car in 2 weeks and he took permission from his manager not to do the ceramic coating. So he went ahead with the booking and after 2 weeks they called him asked to pay the full amount, we transferred the full amount except for the insurance amount which we plan to take from outside.

After one week, they called again and said the car has reached their yard, my friend went to see the car in person, during the process the sales guy said he needs to do ceramic coating since his manager came to know that we plan to take insurance from outside, otherwise, the car will be allocated to other customers. My friend told the sales guy that he will not be doing ceramic coating no matter what, after a full day of drama and back to back phone calls sales guy told his manager will agree to deliver the car only if we take insurance from showroom itself. Another day of back to back phone calls, my friend agreed to do insurance from the showroom itself for a slightly discounted amount and finally the car was delivered within 3 and half weeks.

This is just a short version of the story, overall the experience was terrible. We were unsure if this is VW India's policy to push customers forcefully for add-on kits and do ceramic coating or sales pitch by the individual showroom. Interestingly VW EVM Vytilla didn't demand anything like this during the booking process, mostly because the selling volume might be 10 or 20 times more than small showrooms like Kottayam or Thriuvalla.
GT145 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 18:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

The sales fiasco is a precursor to the train wreck that is evm service. This is the kind of thing that should ensure you drop the brand from consideration wholesale.

I recommend cutting your losses, this ancient car isn't worth the hassle. People may go on about build quality and timeless design, finally you'll end up with a dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. The estimate from EVM service then will look like a bargain compared to the ceramic coating they tried to push on you.
avira_tk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 19:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be a recurring problem faced by VW users in the South. All dealers are involved in this scam it seems of adding ceramic coating, etc. It's the new Handling Charge as it looks like. A few people I know in NCR, including myself, who bought Skoda Rapids and VW Polos in last few months and had fantastic experience.

Stick to your guns I would say. Donot agree or be forced into paying for even a screw extra if you don't think it is required.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 20:08   #20
BHPian

If they can treat you this way even before they sold you the car, I dare imagine what would happen once they have sold you the car. Notwithstanding, the ASS. With so many never ending complaint from multiple customers, I would simple cancel the booking not just from the dealer and I wouldn't even think of VW again in my life.

My recommendation for you? Dump VW altogether.
T-Bone is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 20:19   #21
BHPian

Just a rant!

Except for price rise, everything else can be blamed on the dealership and yes all dealers are not the same. But having said that, what's wrong if the dealership wants to earn some more cash as all the industries are doing the same all around the world in current times?

There is documented proof that prices have been inflated artificially (by the means of shortage or out of stock) as sales have come down. This is the time for companies to milk the customers who really need their products as they have already reduced their orders from their suppliers probably due to uncertain times.

How can the price of steel or other input products rise so fast if the demand is still around 2019 levels. No factories have gone out of business either. Supply chain is just an excuse. If we can make do with these other things, then why not get insurance from the dealer? I'm sure he will try his best to match the rates but even if they are a bit higher, it is worth it for all of the people involved.

Above views are just my opinion, I'm just disappointed that we don't care when big companies swindle us at their will and we don't object but a small business can't even try to make additional profit. Also I strongly disagree with the way the sales rep treated you.

Mod note: please remove my post if it doesn't seem fit for this thread

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2021 at 08:10. Reason: Adding spacing
Old 21st April 2021, 20:50   #22

Please do not try to deviate and opiate on issues that you have little understanding. Try to read and understand what I'm going through. I never objected to the increase in price of 10K every month these dealers were quoting me. Being a first time car owner, I have never dealt with car dealers in my life as there was never a need. So post was a request for help and a wider understanding. Giving false statements on manufacturing of Models being stopped, false commitments on delivery date, VW social media not responding to my complaints are the issues here. My question was, is a brand like VW aware of these unprofessional handling of their customers? And is there a way to contact them was my call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
Just a rant!
Except for price rise, everything else can be blamed on the dealership and yes all dealers are not the same. But having said that, what's wrong if the dealership wants to earn some more cash as all the industries are doing the same all around the world in current times?
There is documented proof that prices have been inflated artificially (by the means of shortage or out of stock) as sales have come down. This is the time for companies to milk the customers who really need their products as they have already reduced their orders from their suppliers probably due to uncertain times.
How can the price of steel or other input products rise so fast if the demand is still around 2019 levels. No factories have gone out of business either. Supply chain is just an excuse.
If we can make do with these other things, then why not get insurance from the dealer? I'm sure he will try his best to match the rates but even if they are a bit higher, it is worth it for all of the people involved.
Above views are just my opinion, I'm just disappointed that we don't care when big companies swindle us at their will and we don't object but a small business can't even try to make additional profit. Also I strongly disagree with the way the sales rep treated you.

Mod note: please remove my post if it doesn't seem fit for this thread
jimmzmatt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 21:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jothishX View Post
Had a bitter experience with EVM Honda few years back. But that was for a two-wheeler and the showroom felt like a fish market.
The experience is still the same. I had visited EVM honda Kochi to check out the HONDA H'ness CB350 for my cousin along with ArjunPadmakumar, 4 months back. When we enquired at the reception, they said there was a special team just for CB 350. "The team" had no interest in attending us. Whenever we approached them with a request for a test ride, they asked us to wait for 10 mins. This kept happening for nearly 1.5hours. The AC was not switched on in the showroom and it was humid and crowded. After waiting for 1.5 Hours we got angry and got to talk to a person handling the paperwork for the registration (that's what he said he does) for the same "team" regarding the same and he said that test ride can only be arranged if we had booked it on the previous day ( They could have said this 1.5hrs ago ). But this person understood how frustrated we were and he arranged for a test ride immediately and he gave us a price quote as soon as we arrived back from the test ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Frankly if I were you I would have cancelled this booking. Gone off to Skoda and got a flash red Skoda Rapid. The mid variants cost lower, you get the same engine and a bigger car.
In Ernakulam, EVM is the dealer for both VW and Skoda. So in a way, we can say that EVM is trying to maintain the Skoda tradition of providing bad customer service (though in this case its VW)
Firoshg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

I hate to break this to you but this is normal treatment meted out to any customer by any dealer of any car that has a long waiting list.

VW is no exception.

You have to be aware of all the tricks of the trade if you don’t want to be fooled. At the end of this you will be wiser for your next car purchase.

Choice of colour, dealer, finance, insurance are all part of the games people play to hook you and if you don’t bite, the car goes to the next guy.

Some manufacturers (KIA) allot cars at the factory level to avoid this scenario but VW thrives on customer dissatisfaction.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:07   #25
BHPian

Despite being in love with the beautiful dynamics and engineering of the cars, we steered clear of VW and Skoda just because of the pathetic dealers and the indifferent response from the Top Brass.

My uncle is contemplating a Polo and every fibre of my being wants to dissuade him away from that purchase but it's sort of his dream car. Why mess with that.

VW dealers are thugs, and you being nice will only make them take you for granted. Have you gone ahead with your purchase? Raise hell at the Customer relations department. Tweet and publicize this experience.

VAG has taken leverage from their good products. Their attitude is such. Milking the same platform for a decade, treating customers terribly, losing sight of who they are in the process. But don't let idiots like your dealer come between you and a car you love. Your family must be excited. Don't let this experience water their excitement down. It's outright fraudulent practice to add things onto your invoice that you didn't specifically ask for.

Call them out on it. Make it known to them that this thread isn't going anywhere.

EVM has dealerships of Datsun, Nissan and VW. Looks like they picked the worst companies to partner with and drop their perception even further.

EVM seems to have terrible reputation
link (Duopoly of Volkswagen dealerships in Kerala)

Last edited by viXit : 22nd April 2021 at 11:28.
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost every first time car buyer who has reported a disastrous experience before delivery has, in some part, played a role in the incident as well.

It is simple - book only once, fix a color, a variant, a price, get it in writing and wait, that's about it. If terms are not agreeable or if the dealer is doing harakiri moves like forcing teflon or ceramic coating down the throat, arm-twisting to take loans or insurance from them, just use the first expletive that comes to mind on them and move on to the next dealer, never show desperation.

A week or two delivery delay should be fine. I don't get the logic of gifting sales executives chocolates and other small gifts either lol, every dealing I've done, I've made sure they do not utter a single word outside of the original agreement, I don't go for ribbon or cake cutting either, I just request them to drop off the car at home and that's that.

Remember car buying itself is a first world problem, don't worry yourself for all these minor issues, either jump ship to another dealer or brand or be prepared to wait till the car comes, it is true that the semiconductor shortage has hit supplies quite hard and during such a time, dealers might sell to people who give them more profits by way of useless coatings, in-house loans and insurance and extended warranties.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:12   #27
BHPian

I can't but help contrasting this buying experience with the one I had buying a Ciaz from a Nexa dealership in Hyderabad a few years ago.

I wanted a spoiler installed at the time of delivery and was disappointed that dealership didn't have any in stock. So I went on the Nexa website and wrote a message to their customer service that the part was not available at the dealership.

Immediately the next day I received a call from the Nexa Advisor that I had booked thru saying that the dealership had received a complaint from the head office and the spoiler and some wooden panel accessories would be immediately shipped from the factory in Gurgaon.

The accessories were eventually installed after delivery of the vehicle and in compensation for this delay the advisor came to my office to deliver a car vacuum cleaner a few days later and promised a car cleaning also at the dealership.

Maruti may not have the best product in the segment but they sure know how to keep the customer happy
Foxbat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:34   #28
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

VW and Skoda both run on very thin inventories.

When the Rapid Rider was launched, it was the same case. Stock ran out within a few months and new bookings were closed. Soon the Rider + was launched and Rider was given lesser booking priority.

At the same time VW launched the Vento Comfortline + variant which was priced below 10L and the offer was listed on their website too. However, no dealer was confirming delivery and were pressurizing for booking the Highline model with very good non-publicized discounts.

I think they are just clearing out the raw inventory (body stampings of the Polo and Vento/Rapid models so that they can introduce the replacement models based on the newer platform sometime in the future. Focus might be more on the recently announced SUVs from both the companies.

Dealers in general behave very oddly and have an air of superiority.
Old 22nd April 2021, 13:05   #29
BHPian

In Jan they said the price is 11.5, in Feb it was 11.6 and march it was even higher! You are indeed a Saint! My intention is not to be sarcastic, but i personally would have asked them to take a walk and dropped the polo altogether for another car! But that's just me.

Like you rightly said, why do they take a booking in the first place if you cannot even freeze on the variant of the car? What is the customer entitled to when he books a car?!

Hope you are able to resolve this and drive your first car very soon.
Old 22nd April 2021, 14:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

It is simple - book only once, fix a color, a variant, a price, get it in writing and wait, that's about it. If terms are not agreeable or if the dealer is doing harakiri moves like forcing teflon or ceramic coating down the throat, arm-twisting to take loans or insurance from them, just use the first expletive that comes to mind on them and move on to the next dealer, never show desperation.
I agree with this logic, it's important that the sales representative knows that you are a informed customer, that way they don't try to be over smart with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

A week or two delivery delay should be fine. I don't get the logic of gifting sales executives chocolates and other small gifts either lol, every dealing I've done, I've made sure they do not utter a single word outside of the original agreement, I don't go for ribbon or cake cutting either, I just request them to drop off the car at home and that's that.
But here I would like to disagree, while buying my first car I did my research on teamBhp forum and as suggested gifted the sales guy sweets and a small gift, and till date even being sales representative he extends his help in case of service related issues. I think that small gesture helped to build the relation.

I believe , when buying a car we are going in a relationship with the brand, we must find reliable and good people in the sales/service/accessories department for this relation to last long and well.
any23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed