Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2021, 14:53   #31
BHPian

re: Poor VW Polo GT buying experience (EVM Perumbavoor / Kottayam). EDIT: Matter resolved, page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
In Jan they said the price is 11.5, in Feb it was 11.6 and march it was even higher! You are indeed a Saint! My intention is not to be sarcastic, but i personally would have asked them to take a walk and dropped the polo altogether for another car! But that's just me.

Like you rightly said, why do they take a booking in the first place if you cannot even freeze on the variant of the car? What is the customer entitled to when he books a car?!

Hope you are able to resolve this and drive your first car very soon.
Some of us are not too worried for a 10K here or a 10K there as long as the experiences are good and the treatment is nice. Time and energy is not worth that much when it come to small amount which is just 1% increase.

But when you get bad experience, worse sale and empty promises - that is when things get ugly. A frustrated customers gets angry fast and in most cases go the extra mile to complain - Even if it is jut to vent his anger.

EVM in 2010 was also not so smooth. Things started moving after I had to have a reference directly from the owner! Things at EVM are so so... Be it their Nissan dealership or their Honda bikes Stealership. The only positive instance I had was in dealing with their BMW dealership and that too with involvement from someone named Gishil.

My cousin will be all against me if I talk anything positive about EVM. He bought his Nissan Micra from a dealership(not so great either) 250 kms away just to avoid EVM experience at Kochi!

Last edited by Sedate : 22nd April 2021 at 14:55.
Sedate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:32   #32
BHPian

re: Poor VW Polo GT buying experience (EVM Perumbavoor / Kottayam). EDIT: Matter resolved, page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It is simple - book only once, fix a color, a variant, a price, get it in writing and wait, that's about it. If terms are not agreeable or if the dealer is doing harakiri moves like forcing teflon or ceramic coating down the throat, arm-twisting to take loans or insurance from them, just use the first expletive that comes to mind on them and move on to the next dealer, never show desperation.
Sums up of what I have to say too. Except, instead of next dealer, move to a different brand altogether. "As is the king so are the subjects" - If the OEM's processes and feedback mechanisms are not well defined in terms of sales and service, the dealers will take things for granted. Hence VW (and skoda) are brands better avoided in Indian market.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:49   #33
BHPian

It seems bizarre to me that VW is wiling to screw around with the market which has arguably one of the largest enthusiast base and best tuning scene in the country. Some of the best Polos I have seen are based out of Kerala and VW should be leveraging this to portray themselves as a cool, hip and mod friendly car company to the millennials. This image will only help sales of their other products and help them create a niche in our crowded market. Instead they are hell bent on portraying themselves as an arrogant and indifferent organization.

If I were VW, I would've partnered up with some of the best tuning shops in India (ala Tata - JTP) to release performance versions of the Polo, Vento, Taigun etc since the R and GTi variants are cost prohibitive for the Indian market.

But what do they do? They dilute the GT brand (there wasn't much to begin with) into oblivion.

Last edited by yd_gli : 22nd April 2021 at 19:50.
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzmatt View Post
...The invoice raised by them however had the price as 11,67804. They had included Ceramic quoting charge of Rs.22600. I did not want that, but the sales rep was continuously pressuring me to go for it and when he found that my stand was clear, he asked me to get an approval directly from Volkswagen Regional manager. ....
These are the lines that catch my eye. What era are we living?
As if VW and Skoda's Aftersales horror stories are not enough. Looks like their service team is moved to sales.

As much as I like VW and other manufacturers who sell safe cars in India, stories like this really ruin the brand quite a lot. VW really needs to tighten their dealers. Seriously, they are digging their own grave.

That sales guy needs to be fired. He is ruining the VW brand, he is ruining the dealership.
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Some of us are not too worried for a 10K here or a 10K there as long as the experiences are good and the treatment is nice.
I belong to the same club! It's not the 10k that is of concern to me but the integrity and commitment of the dealer.
veyron_head is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 23:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
These are the lines that catch my eye. What era are we living?

That sales guy needs to be fired. He is ruining the VW brand, he is ruining the dealership.
Actually it's not so. The sales guy is simply following instructions. And perhaps motivated more by the fear of his boss that fear of antagonising a customer. And in Covid times they are the most vulnerable. I did have a similar instance when I went to the VW dealership of the same group in December. I was told that I had to mandatorily take the accessories with the Highline AT. The sales guy was almost apologetic when he told me that. It was quite evident it was an instruction.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 22nd April 2021, 23:43   #37
BHPian

Having bought a few of my previous cars from different VW group dealers (Skoda Octavia recently, as well as a Polo TSI & a Jetta previously), albeit at Bangalore, I’d strongly suggest you be firm and reiterate what you need and don’t.

They always try to upsell things and making money is their priority and not customer satisfaction or long-term relationship, “make the sale & forget mantra”
Old 22nd April 2021, 23:56   #38
BHPian

EVM service experience in Cochin has become worse over the years with the SA focus on selling add-ons and doing less work for maximum bill (profits). EVM Alappuzha is another story altogether. They have the guts to ask to replace almost every part of the car that 'they" think should be replaced even though there is only a tiny fix required to.correct the issue. They can't even diagnose issues correctly. E.g - replace the bumper if one of the screws is missing which is causing a noise, timing belt because there is some discoloration etc. A part(lever to open bonnet) not in stock I'm waiting for 4 months now.

Really feel furious about EVM being the thugs and affecting a lot of people's peace of mind. Hope VW will strip them off of dealerships after arranging alternatives or get some others open to have some competition.

VW car is still great to drive but there is a point where the pain caused by dealerships tilt the balance in favour of not owning them altogether. Someone need to educate these guys the meanings of "professionalism" and "Customer care". Else it is owning a Devil's Car - not Volkswagen (people's car).
rejeen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 01:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
I will request you to escalate the matter so that it comes in the knowledge of VW top officials. The dealer will try to ask for good feedback etc etc. but make sure it is highlighted.
I think you must tag Zac Hollis too, specially on Facebook, as the 2.0 strategy for Skoda & VW is headed by Skoda.
Exactly, it’ll definitely help. In case if you need his mail address
Attached Thumbnails
Poor VW Polo GT buying experience (EVM Perumbavoor / Kottayam). EDIT: Matter resolved, page 3-6dc5af035ccb47f0920fb56094c0f2b1.jpeg  

LionX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Giving false statements on manufacturing of Models being stopped, false commitments on delivery date, VW social media not responding to my complaints are the issues here. My question was, is a brand like VW aware of these unprofessional handling of their customers? And is there a way to contact them was my call.
It is not fair to have to go through such an experience for your 1st car purchase. Its a dream for every guy.

My advice: Cancel the booking & Drop this dealer. If this is how they treat you before they get your money, imagine how they might treat you after your money parts from you. The money in your hand is your biggest & only leverage. Once they have it, you are literally at their mercy.

I know its a harrowing experience waiting for your car for last 3 months and still not having it. Instead of viewing this as a hindrance/curse, take it as a Sign from Above.

Buying a car is like finding the right girl. Somethings are not meant to happen like We want it to, and maybe its all for the best in the long term. Maybe that other car you never considered, might be the right fit for you in the long term rather than the beautiful Flash Red car that might be the stuff of your dreams but can give you sleepless nights.

I know its contrary to what other members have said & also not what you would want to hear.

If you really want the Polo, then try out dealers in other districts
Volkswagen owners from Kerala in the forum will be able to help you find out a good dealership. There are a lot of VW customers in Kerala. I am sure there might be a good dealership somewhere.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 09:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below is the series of event that I am going through and any sort of help or advice from fellow BHPians to escalate this issue would be very much appreciated.

January:

I had decided to buy a Volkswagen Polo Highline AT (Toffee Brown) and had booked with EVM dealers at Perumbavoor, Kerala on January 1st, 2021.
I had a 2015 Polo GT TDI. Apart from a few good people at EVM VW (circa 2015) rest of the EVM VW was utter crap then and probably even now, so I am not at all surprised. When I wanted to exchange the GT TDI with a new GT TSI (for AT mainly) Das Welt Auto quoted 5lakhs, but I sold the car for 7lakhs through OLX. If Das Welt Auto won't offer a decent price (minus their margins of course) to a VW owner who wanted to buy another new VW they do not deserve my $ and I bid farewell to VW for once and for all.

Anyway if I were buying a car in this price range/segment I wouldn't choose the Polo because if rumours are true the 5th gen Polo sold here is about to be replaced with the 6th gen Polo which had its global debut in 2017. The 5th gen polo had its global debut in 2009 and in India in 2010. If not wait for the new Polo you may also consider the KIA Sonet Diesel.
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:03   #42
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I brought my Polo GT TSI in Hyderabad almost 2 years back. The experience was phenomenal, right from enquiry to test drive and finally bringing the vehicle to my house. I test drove the car almost half a dozen times, few only for myself and other times for my family. The sales rep was extremely responsive and available that he used to get the car to my door within few hours of me requesting for the same.

There was no pressure whatsoever from the dealer side on buying any accessories including insurance. I like anyone else had a perception that dealers insist on buying the insurance from them as they make some good money out of it. Few years back while buying Huyndai creta I had a tough (ugly) time with the dealer on insurance and had to almost walk away from the showroom. But with polo, when I said I would like buy the insurance from outside, he politely said that its totally your choice sir and he will never insist me on buying it from them. If I need any help they can arrange.

My car colour choice was carbon steel. The dealer said he has red colour car in the yard and can be delivered in just few days but carbon steel looks very good on polo and he will try to deliver it asap. He never insisted me to buy the colour he had in the yard! He arranged the car of my choice colour within a week.
The only hard negotiation we had was on what all free bees he can offer. Along with mud flaps etc I could even manage to get the arm rest.

Overall it was such a great experience. Much much better than the Huyndai dealer from where I brought Creta. That was a nightmare.

So generalising any car manufacturer is not right I think. We can see Cretas all over India though my experience with the dealer was pathetic. We dont see many VWs and their market share is very slim, but my experience with them was awesome. I think it's more to do with what "type" of a dealer is.

To end, everyday I drive my polo, even after 2 years I get a smile on my face. I am in love with this car. It hardly has any fancy items in the interior, but I like it's simple face. So far so that Creta has become my second car now- any Creta owners please don't take any offence. I no where mean to say Creta is a bad car, if it was not a good car how come we see such a huge volume on the road.

But Polo GT TSI is my first car.

Thanks.
amit_mind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
EVM service experience in Cochin has become worse over the years with the SA focus on selling add-ons and doing less work for maximum bill (profits). EVM Alappuzha is another story altogether. They have the guts to ask to replace almost every part of the car that 'they" think should be replaced even though there is only a tiny fix required to.correct the issue. They can't even diagnose issues correctly. E.g - replace the bumper if one of the screws is missing which is causing a noise, timing belt because there is some discoloration etc. A part(lever to open bonnet) not in stock I'm waiting for 4 months now.

Really feel furious about EVM being the thugs and affecting a lot of people's peace of mind. Hope VW will strip them off of dealerships after arranging alternatives or get some others open to have some competition.

VW car is still great to drive but there is a point where the pain caused by dealerships tilt the balance in favour of not owning them altogether. Someone need to educate these guys the meanings of "professionalism" and "Customer care". Else it is owning a Devil's Car - not Volkswagen (people's car).

I was looking at Taigun/Kushaq and this post makes me give it a second thought.
I had a TD of Rapid from EVM couple of months ago and while just casually inquiring about the Kushaq, the SA told me to wait for Kushaq as Rapid may be discontinued soon and they had only limited stocks. I agreed and requested him to send me any update on Kushaq(this was few days before the static reveal) and told that I would definitely buy it if not priced in an insanely exorbitant manner. The talks and TD went well and even though he understood that this was a sure-shot customer in front of him, I was a little surprised to never hear from him again unlike the Maruti folks who pester/spoil you with calls . Also, in spite of registering interest for Kushaq on the portal a couple of times and getting a notification that someone will contact me in 24hours, I never got a call. This was my first interaction with EVM and this thread has seriously made me think if I should reconsider Skoda/VW.

Are there any chances of getting a new dealer other than the EVM group anywhere in south Kerala(Ernakulam to Tvm) anytime soon? In any of the Zac chats, has he mentioned any such plans?

Or do you folks suggest me to go ahead with this plan of Kushaq/Taigun? These two fit my budget and category preferences.
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
To start with, I am new to Team BHP and I also do not own a car as of now. Unfortunately, my experience to own my first car has not been smooth which is why I was advised by my friends who are car enthusiasts to seek suggestions from Team BHP.
This reminds me of the ordeal that I had to go through last year when I wanted to purchase a Polo. Compared to mine, this is very negligible. I was in search of a new automatic car since late 2019 and I test drove almost all cars under the 16 lakhs category and I was really inclined to POLO GT TSI, Vento, and Ecosport. Then the BSIV discounts came and I was not able to get one since I did not want a manual version. Then the purchase prolonged due to various reasons and on March 18 I went to the VW Kochi showroom and booked the Polo GT version knowingly it will be a 1.0 three-cylinder and TC unit. I had concerns over DSG and as far as I am concerned 1.0 TSI is a superior engine compared to 1.2 TSI. No matter who says what.

I was using Golf for almost half a decade and a Passat as my company car here and there. Thus, I know exactly how good DSG is and also what DSG trouble could be. After I make the booking, in a few days' time, the lockdown imposed. Long wait for the GT and I believe on Sept 20, I got a chance to test drive the Polo GT and I shared my thoughts in the forum as well. Now the drama starts. I always wanted a Polo GT no matter what, but then I knew about this Highline Plus AT. At that time it was offered to me with 10.60 Lakhs on road with their insurance and Polo GT was 11.34 lakhs and I felt it makes more sense to opt for the Highline Plus AT and I could save around 75K INR and I get a couple of extra features in H-AT model. But at this point, my allotted car already at VW Kochi showroom (GT), and they have told me that it doesn't make sense to opt for GT. But they have also told me there would be another 2-4 weeks delay will occur for the Highline AT Model, to which I agreed. I also had a car to exchange and they told me a price that was too low, which I was not happy with.

Within a few weeks, they have told me that the Highline Plus AT price increased to 11.17 Lakhs and my car will arrive soon. I knew it was crap and asked for a very detailed price breakdown. According to them around 38.k INR was MANDATORY accessories from VW and they cannot sell the car without that. At that moment I knew they are trying to conn me and I called up VW India customer care. The CS of VW openly told me there are no such things and the VW dealer is trying to fool me and advised me to change the dealer and they also gave me a contact of another VW dealer almost 80 kms away. I called them up immediately and they told me a price of 10.57 Lakhs for the Highline Plus AT and 11.34 Lakhs for the GT.

They were also trying to confuse me but I have a very clear idea of what I wanted and thus they were not saying any other thing. Since I had an exchange car, I went to this showroom in a day or two. Make the booking for Highline Plus AT and they evaluated my old car and offered a price 50K more than the other guys offered and I was happy. That means I could save up to 100K INR due to this dealer change, for the very same model. How cool/bad is that? 4 Weeks booking period. Now, I was proceeding with the bank loan and the dealer was pushing their in-house Federal Bank. The guys who called me were very irresponsible and never gave me an update and I was really pissed knowing they told me they cannot process loan due to some unheard reasons. 2 weeks passed and this VW dealer told me that my allotted car will arrive in 2-3 days time but the price is now increased to 10.80 lakhs. I said okay.

Next day or the day after the VW dealer told me that the Fed bank guy told him that they have problems with loan processing thus they want me to ask another bank obviously from them. But meanwhile, I have already arranged the loan by going to my bank and it was seamless. So my loan was already approved by the time this executive told me and I said the same to him as well. So, I was hoping to get the car in 2-3 days and I was constantly following up but every time they used to give me excuses. And in a week's time, they told me my allotted car was not arrived due to some reasons and only GT came. If I want I can change to GT. Almost a month passed and I have been told that my car will arrive soon. Meanwhile, I got to know from another source that the dealer was selling Highline Plus AT to some other customers. I really fed up and called this guy and he never picked up my calls for over 3-4 days' time. Finally, I called to their CRM and they have told me that multiple Highline Plus AT were SOLD in the past few weeks, and no clue why I haven't got mine. So the only option either I shall opt for GT or wait for the next batch arrival in 3-4 weeks more and only after the lorry arrives, then only they can say if that have a Highline Plus AT.

I had enough and straightaway cancelled the booking!

But I was in search of a car again, almost purchased the Ecosport but the dumb Ford dealer offered me a funny price for my old car as if they were doing a charity for me. Left that option there and thought of holding on to the current car. One fine day my mom saw an advertisement in the local newspaper for VW Vento and called up another dealer in Kochi itself (Owned by the same group) Same story but this time I just went just to see with no intention to purchase. They have offered a good price for my old car + the exchange bonus and other discounts, it was a good deal and the only confusion we had whether we need to buy Polo / Vento. Later we thought of buying POLO as our needs are only that much and there is not much of a highway trip these days and thought its wise to save 3.5 Lakhs by not opting for Vento. Obviously looking for Highline Plus AT at that time. But somehow I did not like the Highline Plus AT this time due to 2 reasons. I like the seat of GT more as it offers better support and grip marginally. (maybe in my mind). Also, I do not want the rear AC vents. My children may tend to break it in a day or two and also my mother complained that the rear ac vents are of no use in the Vento and that cannot be shut down.

So without thinking much I opt for the GT TSI though it is pricey and makes less sense. But hey, at least that what I wanted since day one. Opted that in Dec mid and in less than 2 weeks my car arrived. Did PDI by myself and all were acceptable to me. So after almost 9.5 months, I purchased the GT TSI on 31st Dec 2021. Crazy enough. If it was not for the love of the car, I would not have wasted this much time. Call me a fanboy or whatever. It is no real match for my old Golf but I think it is still the best hatchback in India, anyone can disagree. And I always liked hatchback cars over Sedan / SUV. Those who were thinking why I haven't contacted VW India CS. I have contacted them a LOT of times but the fact is that they lack coordination and whatever we ask the VW India CS team they just push it back to the dealer. At times, I had more knowledge about the car, sales, waiting period, etc compared to VW India CS and VW dealers combined.

I was also considering Skoda Rapid and went to drove that and liked it. Almost went with the Monte Carlo / Onyx version. I was very particular about black interiors and I did not like the beige ones inside the Rapid. They were pushing for an Ambition they had at stock. I did not like it. Various reasons for that, the Alloy Design, 15" Tyres, Interiors, No Heat Resistant/tinted glasses, etc. Was in no mood to purchase the car and spend extra money on the changes. I was not particular about the boot and the back leg space in Polo was adequate for our family as I am the only driver. Moreover, the Skoda dealer told me Monte Carlo and Onyx versions have a waiting period of 3 months minimum and the price will also increase by then. So don't wanted to waste time, money, and energy for nothing again and went with Polo GT. And it was worthwhile the hassle.

Now compare your experience with mine

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2021 at 08:36. Reason: Please club your sentences together into paragraphs - greatly improves readability
igemini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:14   #45

Update - 23/04/2021: Well, finally, thanks to all the suggestions and help from the fellow BHPians; writing a mail to the CRM did the job. The CR Kottayam team was kind enough to listen to what transpired over the past 4 months and has given me an assurance on email on the delivery date with no additional changes in the price I was offered. EVM representatives and managers also visited me and confirmed the same. I hope they would keep up their word this time.

Quote:
To start with, I am new to Team BHP and I also do not own a car as of now. Unfortunately, my experience to own my first car has not been smooth which is why I was advised by my friends who are car enthusiasts to seek suggestions from Team BHP.

Below is the series of event that I am going through and any sort of help or advice from fellow BHPians to escalate this issue would be very much appreciated.

January:

I had decided to buy a Volkswagen Polo Highline AT (Toffee Brown) and had booked with EVM dealers at Perumbavoor, Kerala on January 1st, 2021. The booking amount they took was Rs. 5000/-, refundable if I decide to cancel. The sales executive told me the waiting period is three months to which I said I am completely fine with it. The vehicle's on-road price they quoted was 10.70. I wanted to give a surprise to my family, so I had not discussed this with them. However, my 10-year-old son found the brochure in the same week, and I had to break my surprise. This also made me to change the color variant from Toffee brown to Flash Red. I at once informed the sales rep about the change in my colour preference and asked them if it was possible to do so; if not, I was fine with it. They told me that it can be arranged.

February:

I was called by EVM Perumbavoor, Kerala that there is Highline AT available, and the price is Rs.10.80. I mentioned that I am fine with the price, but color is flash red of my son's choice. They said it was fine.

March:

EVM Perumbavoor quotes the price as 10.90 but this time the colour is Carbon steel. I very politely told them, I'm fine with the price but cannot change my son's decision to go for flash red. Sometime near the end of the March, when I called to check the status of the car, as 3 months was nearing, they tell me that Volkswagen has stopped the manufacturing of Highline. I was completely shocked. What happened to my booking? If the car was not manufactured, then why they took the booking? If after the booking, the car is manufactured, isn't it the dealer's responsibility to honor their commitment? What are the dealers doing with the booking amount (There is a specific reason for this question)?

April:

I tweet about this experience to Volkswagen on twitter (https://twitter.com/volkswagenindia/...35056390864898) And I did get a call from them. The Customer care rep told me Highline AT was not stopped, and it could be that dealer is not having that car. He told me had escalated the issue and I would get a call. No Response from Volkswagen after that.

I checked with few people and one guy recommended me to check with EVM Kottayam. The sales Rep told me Highline AT is not available, but GT is, and it can be delivered on April 20th. The price quoted was Rs11.50. Since I waited for three months, and considering the urgency, I decided to go for GT variant now. He asked me to place a cancellation request to EVM Perumbavoor, and do a fresh booking of GT by paying Rs.5000 to which I agreed as well. I was reconfirming with the sales exec about the delivery date on every call that I made, and he reassured me the same. The invoice raised by them however had the price as 11,67804. They had included Ceramic quoting charge of Rs.22600. I did not want that, but the sales rep was continuously pressuring me to go for it and when he found that my stand was clear, he asked me to get an approval directly from Volkswagen Regional manager. They even pressurized me to take the finance from EVM to which I said no, as my finance from SBI was already in place. After lot of pestering, the sales rep sent the invoice of Rs.1149604, our final agreed upon price so that SBI can sanction the loan. This was on 16th of April. On 19th when I checked about the status of the car, I’m informed that there is a price hike, and he is not aware how much that amount is.
  • Are the car dealers so greedy? Don’t they have an iota of ethics in this line of business or is it that their sales executives behave this way?
  • Does Volkswagen have no say on this?
  • What do they do with the booking amount? Is that a source of revenue too?

I understand that this post long, but any advice or suggestion to escalate this issue or way forward from fellow BHPians and Petrolheads is welcome and much appreciated. Thank You.
jimmzmatt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks