Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 22:01   #1
BHPian

Unethical sales practice by Ravindu Toyota, Bangalore

I had a very bad experience while making a purchase attempt for a new Innova Crysta. I previously had a Crysta which I have taken from my company car lease policy. As the lease period was over, I sold it and planned to take a new one of the same make / model as I liked the vehicle and was good for my need.

When I approached the sales person Lokesh R from Ravindu Toyota Bangalore, he promised me that the car is available in the stock and can deliver it before end of the month in July 2021. Based on his confirmation I didn't proceed with any other dealer and started processing the documents from my company. Even after releasing the PO from my company the sales person didn't raise the invoice and was quoting one or another reason without revealing the actual reason. He always promised the car will be delivered tomorrow. But today after the month got over he revealed the fact that there is no stock and I have to pay the increased price now (30k more) to take the new vehicle. He quoted that his manager Kishore Kumar N didn't allow him to tell the truth earlier and he couldn't do anything. Somehow I feel very disappointed by this behaviour and I feel that this is really unethical.
Have you faced similar situations in your purchase any time? How did you handle such situation? Is there anything we can do about it? Or is my expectation really wrong and is this a typical behaviour by the sales people?

Last edited by Sheel : 4th August 2021 at 21:06. Reason: Please proof read your post before submitting it. Thanks.
SANSI is offline   (13) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd August 2021, 22:55   #2
BHPian

re: Unethical sales practice by Ravindu Toyota, Bangalore

So the manager obviously knows that the prices are getting increased and they can sell the already available vehicle on the new price. For sure an unethical practice, but business says make hay while the sun shines
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 23:01   #3
BHPian

This is blatant cheating IMO. Toyota is known for its customer service but lately, especially after the lockdown things have taken a downhill turn it seems.

Firstly, there was this BHPian who was asked for a non-refundable 5L booking amount for booking a Camry, which isn't the Toyota policy.

I also have read in the recent past about people being denied TDs for Fortuners and Innovas. This was never the case. However high booking numbers and waiting periods, they would always treat you properly.

Personally too, my last service experience of my Crysta was nothing to write home about. They didn't solve my AC troubles before a 1000 km long road trip despite me mentioning it to the SA and he told me that they have cleaned the condenser and it's fine now (I couldn't check it for myself since the car was delivered late in the evening and the issue is apparent only around noon/ peak heat time. I had to manage in peak summer with a non-functional AC on a long road trip.
They also didn't do a 5 tyre rotation as I asked them to during the service.
For the first time in 12 years of owning Toyotas, I had to send the vehicle again for an unsolved complaint.

And now this egregious act of cheating. How can a manager ask an SA to lie to you about delivery timelines. Its simply outrageous.

Toyota should have a tighter leash on its dealers, they are going rogue. Reliability and customer service are the pillars on which Toyota India is standing. If they want to demolish them to the ground. Well, nobody can save them.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 23:08   #4
BHPian

Almost being in the same boat as you as I have similarly paid for a Crysta as of two days back, I see that the sales team are pulling a fast one on you. So a few clarifications, assuming the sales person promised you about having a car in stock , didn't it occur to you for once to take a look at the stock car , take the vin details and based on all of it then process your documentation?

Now since that boat has sailed you have two options: Escalate! Write to Toyota about your ordeal and you might get some respite from this mess but only and only if the car was in actual stock of that dealer on or before 31st July, so if you can prove that the car they are giving you was billed to them before 31st then you can demand for the old price.

If it's a new car that they are getting and is billed to them from 1st August then there is no option and nobody can do anything about it. Hoping that it works out all well for you.
richie4u is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Unethical sales practice by Ravindu Toyota, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANSI View Post
Have you faced similar situations in your purchase any time? How did you handle such situation? Is there anything we can do about it? Or is my expectation really wrong and is this a typical behaviour by the sales people?
Vehicle prices at the time of delivery are valid, regardless of when you booked the vehicle or the reason for the delay between booking and delivery.

That said, you can lodge a complaint with Toyota but don't hope for an outcome unless you can prove they had a car in stock but didn't deliver until the price hike. Looking at facts, you've played a part in this as well by not doing PDI (or asking for VIN) once the booking was done and were told "delivery would be tomorrow". It is not necessary for you to do so but we aren't a perfect society; we are advised to do this specifically because of such incidents.

Involve Toyota and try your luck.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 16:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

At this moment several dealers are having low stock or almost zero stock. Whatever they get is sold immediately. With Toyota they have had the labour strike, lockdown, maintenance shut-offs so the cars that have actually reached dealers is very low! Fortuner is still commanding a 3-month waiting even then they are not able to pin-point a date. Even in the case of Tata Motors they are selling everything as soon as it comes out from the factory, so dealers have very less inventory

Although I wouldn't expect them to lie, so please go ahead and report this to Toyota India.
Old 4th August 2021, 16:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
He quoted that his manager Kishore Kumar N didn't allow him to tell the truth earlier and couldn't do anything.
Do you have the call recording ? Make some noise. Tag the biggies in Twitter etc.
Old 4th August 2021, 18:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
At this moment several dealers are having low stock or almost zero stock. Whatever they get is sold immediately.
Stock availability needs to be confirmed at time of booking which the SA has clearly been advised otherwise.
My cousin just booked an innova in Mumbai on 1st August after confirming availability of color in stock. The dealer did try the usual antics of 'can sell only with Toyota insurance, outside policy not allowed' and a couple other antics including that Toyota will hike prices next day (they were to hike it on 1st August). Competition is your best friend, as a call to another dealer resulted in the SA conceding to no accessories, cheaper private insurance and even a slight cut on top.

Similarly Toyota takes dealer complaints seriously. I would first approach Toyota to resolve the matter within 05 days, failing which you would take back your booking amount and switch brands. A loyal customer should be worth more than Rs. 30,000 to Toyota keeping in mind referrals and the like.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Stock availability needs to be confirmed at time of booking which the SA has clearly been advised otherwise.
My cousin just booked an innova in Mumbai on 1st August after confirming availability of color in stock. The dealer did try the usual antics of 'can sell only with Toyota insurance, outside policy not allowed' and a couple other antics including that Toyota will hike prices next day (they were to hike it on 1st August). Competition is your best friend, as a call to another dealer resulted in the SA conceding to no accessories, cheaper private insurance and even a slight cut on top.
Congrats to your cousin!

Coincidentally even I booked a new car on the 1st of this month and visited two dealers before booking. The dealer which offered me the lower price won the deal, the dealer who offered me a higher price first, came back next day to me and tried to convince me back a lot, offered me a lower price, told me to cancel my booking with the other dealer as well! He even tried to buy me by saying we are closer to your house and even the service station was closer. But this nagging the entire day, and telling me to cancel my booking, completely got on my nerves and I didn’t budge. I had told him clearly I am here to book the car (1st August), you offer me the best price and I’ll book the car. Problem is there was only one such car in stock at the factory in the spec I wanted, so he got to know as soon as the other dealer placed an order for it, hence the nagging the next day.

The final original price is 45k higher than the new offer which the dealer gave me the next day after booking, but like I said a deal is a deal and I had made it very clear to them I want to book the car that day itself.

Like you said there is cut throat competition between dealers and sometimes a better attitude can win them the deal, price is secondary in these terms to me.

And in a separate topic, I had requested a Toyota dealer to get a Fortuner Legender home for a test-drive two weeks back, he forgot clearly and called me finally today. I just told I booked some other car and he in a very nervous voice told ‘Saar, apne Gloster toh nahi book kardi?’ , I told him don’t worry it’s not the Gloster. So clearly Toyota’s waiting periods are pushing people to book other cars.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th August 2021 at 20:59.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 13:05   #10

Quote:
I had a very bad experience while making a purchase attempt for a new Innova Crysta. I previously had a Crysta which I have taken from my company car lease policy. As the lease period was over, I sold it and planned to take a new one of the same make / model as I liked the vehicle and was good for my need.

When I approached the sales person Lokesh R from Ravindu Toyota Bangalore, he promised me that the car is available in the stock and can deliver it before end of the month in July 2021. Based on his confirmation I didn't proceed with any other dealer and started processing the documents from my company. Even after releasing the PO from my company the sales person didn't raise the invoice and was quoting one or another reason without revealing the actual reason. He always promised the car will be delivered tomorrow. But today after the month got over he revealed the fact that there is no stock and I have to pay the increased price now (30k more) to take the new vehicle. He quoted that his manager Kishore Kumar N didn't allow him to tell the truth earlier and he couldn't do anything. Somehow I feel very disappointed by this behaviour and I feel that this is really unethical.
Not surprised at all. I went through a very similar experience at Ravindu Toyota, Bellandur branch, while booking my Etios Petrol, 5 years ago. Ravindu Toyota seems to have this habit of saying that the cars are in stock, then a day before delivery they just call to inform you there are no cars in stock.

I was really furious. So, I first wrote mails to senior executives at Ravindu Toyota. Details here:

https://www.ravindutoyota.net/contact-bl01a.html

They called me back and profusely apologised. They promised to deliver my car within a week. They held up their promise. During the delivery, the head of Customer Relations of Ravindu Toyota was present. He apologised again. He also said this has been a learning experience for him and will make sure incidents like these do not happen again.

I do not think he learned anything from this experience, if it has been repeated once again with OP.

Moreover, I have my doubts writing to TKM (Toyota Kirloskar Motor) will change anything, as Ravindu Toyota is owned by Kirloskar group itself. Write to Ravindu first and if no action is taken escalate to TKM.

Regards
Old 27th September 2021, 16:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Any updates? Did you finally end up getting the vehicle at the hiked price or cancel the booking? I am looking at the same dealer as well.
Old 27th September 2021, 18:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentra26 View Post
Any updates? Did you finally end up getting the vehicle at the hiked price or cancel the booking? I am looking at the same dealer as well.
I didn't manage to get it at the same price.
SANSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 18:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't manage to get it at the same price.
So you had to purchase at the hiked price? Toyota seems to have lost it with their incessant price hikes citing input cost increases. There are no comparable 7 seaters (in my opinion) in the market when it comes to reliability which is why they are able to get away with this.

But all said and done do enjoy the vehicle. It's a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by sentra26 : 27th September 2021 at 18:34.
Old 27th September 2021, 18:44   #14
BHPian

This is absolutely maddening! The way these dealers flip and flop their positions. While booking a car, I always suggest following the adage:" Trust, but verify". A trustworthy sales guy will always allow you the chance to verify things. Example, when you book, and you get the booking receipt, I've seen good sales guys explain the receipt and reconfirm with customers. If this is not done, I simply cancel the booking and move on.

If one cannot verify, one should not get into the transaction.

Well, having said this, it does not mean that one will not get swindled if one follows this adage. I've been taken for a ride even after properly checking and verifying. But the chances are less. Toyota Innova Crysta is a wonderful car. To get even with Ravindu, do change the dealer, if possible. This way, while you do lose the extra 30K, at least it will give you some vicarious satisfaction that Ravindu and the dishonest SA and manger are not getting your money.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 25th November 2022, 18:02   #15
BHPian

I was planning on booking with Ravindu but looks like these complaints look serious. Trusting any dealer with good ethical practices looks tough in this current market scenario.

Last edited by warp_10 : 25th November 2022 at 18:04. Reason: Wrong window pasted prior post

Most Viewed