Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 12:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Dada Motors takes back defective Tata Safari; no replacement given even after 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeevSharma View Post
He must be feeling cheated and correct but he should just take his money and not worried about getting new Safari after his bad experience. Tata on the other hand has offered a new car so, not clear where the problem resides. Tata is providing new car to contain goodwill damage so, their request for removal of objectionable content will form core of settlement.
Tata is not doing him a favor by offering a new car. After suffering for 6 months, he deserves to get 2 new Safaris for the amount of stress he's gone through.

He is one of the few brave ones who is unwilling to accept a settlement in exchange for keeping quiet and sweeping such pathetic customer treatment under the rug. I came across another such video of a lemon Tata (Nexon EV in this case) where the poor owner suffers repeated breakdowns and all he gets for months on end are empty promises about the car being fixed "that time" for sure. If Tata's customer care strategy revolves around making customers suffer for months until they have to take to social media to get some attention, and then force the owners to shut up just in order to get a resolution, it's only the brave folks like this Safari owner who can show what is really going on at Tata.

d3mon is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:29   #47
BHPian

Re: Dada Motors takes back defective Tata Safari; no replacement given even after 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
I personally know people in my circle who have bought an Altroz and a Harrier and they keep cursing the vehicles for the numerous niggles that keep cropping up, thankfully they haven't faced any major engine issues yet.
Can you please elaborate on the issues faced on Altroz?

I'm considering Nexon vs. Sonet for my first car ownership and reading through many threads on TBHP, I'm quite wary of owning a Tata car (despite being a strong product).

However, RavenAvi's opening post on this thread quotes a former test mule driver saying this about Tata cars. So curious to know what kind of issues the people in your circle are facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Quote:
As far as my experience goes, Tata cars till Sub-compact SUV Nexon are decent, robust and don't give much headache. It is above Nexon that it becomes a nightmare. TBH, Harrier and Safari are just a haphazard assembly of different components with nothing indigenous in it. As someone who have worked on its test mules, the parts are taken from unreliable vendors and startups, mostly from US, China and Mexico. Tata really don't know how to make a compact SUV and Mid-Size SUV car. Their technicians are clueless about all the gizmos in Harrier twins, they are not fully confident in handling issues in them.

From my experience, if you really wish to go for a Tata, then go for cars like Nexon or below it (ironically its hatchbacks are truly at world-class level in built quality). They have sorted it out. Avoid harrier twins like a plague.

Mahindra is brilliant in compact and Mid-Size SUV segment.

PS: I am an expat living in Mumbai since 2011, I worked in Savronik India which is responsible for the installation as well as the maintenance of electricals in the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and Pir Panjal Tunnel. and now in Turkish company Bėko, in a JV with Voltas. In no way I am attached to Mahindra or any Tata rivals. Right now my drive is a Tiago AMT which is brilliant car and now I will be upgrading to Tata Punch AMT until I leave India for Turkey permanently by 2027.
Old 11th October 2021, 13:43   #48
BHPian

I have watched all three videos posted by this person and here is what I could gather:

1. The dealer is WRONG here, however the customer on delivery day accepted a different car even though the one checked by him on previous day was standing in dealer premises and he even located it. He should have stood his ground and walked away.

2. The dealer and Tata Motors have royally screwed up. They should have closed this matter by now considering the issues with vehicle and the negative PR which is building up daily.

3. The customer deserves a new Safari, an apology, EMI paid till date and 7% interest on his amount with dealer.

4. However I feel the resolution demanded by customer is simply not feasible. Earlier he demanded a Safari recall and now he wants the dealership to be terminated. In the third video he has clearly mentioned that Tata and dealership guys are asking him to quantify his loss reasonably so that they can work on it, however he is adamant on dealership to be terminated.

Please don't think from point 4 that I am taking side of Tata and dealership. I am trying to make it clear that customer is asking for a repercussion which can't be implemented. Such kind of repercussions are implemented when a large number of serious complaints are received against the dealership.
The customer should focus on his business and mental peace and work on a resolution which covers his personal losses made till now. Though his stand is noble as he doesn't wants others to face the same issue, however termination of dealership is not going to achieve it. Tata strengthening their noose around such dealers and sharing a clear escalation matrix with customers is the way to go forward.

At the same time I am appalled at Tata Motor's attitude towards this case. Rather than making progress towards an amicable resolution they have sent him a legal notice that too at this Hong Kong business address.
Has Tata Motors failed to understand that such issues bring a wider harm to sales and brand?

Last edited by PraNeel : 11th October 2021 at 13:48.
PraNeel is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:57   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Can you please elaborate on the issues faced on Altroz?

I'm considering Nexon vs. Sonet for my first car ownership and reading through many threads on TBHP, I'm quite wary of owning a Tata car (despite being a strong product).
The issues he has mentioned till date include:
- dashboard rattles and jerky steering (fixed)
- electrical issues with the blower (happened twice)
- occasional loss /drop in power
- infotainment system hangs (TaMo feature)
- occasional starting issues when not driven over the weekend (keyfob battery replacement didn't fix)

I would recommend the Sonet over the Nexon. Baleno and Brezza are also fuss free though crash safety is probably an issue. TaMo seems to be having problems with all the new platforms. Tiago, being older, is relatively solid.
Electromotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 14:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

My personal experience with Tata Vehicles has not been satisfactory, but every time they launch a new vehicle, I get tempted to give them another try. Then I read threads like this, which just drive home the point that its a gamble to buy a Tata vehicle. Even if you have been blatantly cheated, and you can prove it, the dealer and Tata Motors won't do anything to make amends.

Its appalling that a business group that supposedly claims to be ethical can also be accused of such blatant disregard for ethics.

How can Tata Motors not see the damage to their brand by letting this customer remain aggrieved?

Tata seems to have forgotten the golden rule in business, "The Customer is always Right."
Lalvaz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:14   #51
BHPian

Honestly when I went for Nexon one of the major reasons was the 5 star safety rating and solid build quality.

As with Tata and every other manufacturer as long as the issue is standard they can fix, anything outside ordinary you are left at the mercy of service center no OEM will take ownership on product defect. Has Hyundai publicly accepted their flaws or Maruti accepted they make tin cans.

I understand the concern around Tata and hence even in my earlier post on separate thread have clearly called out the max I will buy from Tata is the Nexon. It is a old platform so most issue are sorted out.

If you have noticed all the Cars that are reliable are the one in which nothing much is there to go wrong. More features and more sensors will eventually lead to niggles like we have seen seen on Toyota Cryta.

With Tata the issue is more cultural than skill which makes the difference between global brands like toyota and local brands like Tata. I still don't believe Hyundai is ethical company, in many cases Hyundai and kia have set conditions to remove the post to provide resolution and few goodies for the victim. Pls refer to Hyundai quality thread

All in all Nexon is the best bet beyond that it's a risky investment with Tata atleast for the near future
aniyo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:20   #52
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
The Nexon and Tiago are sorted products and minor niggles like rattles aside, you should be good to go. The original post had a quoted comment saying cars above Nexon are the problem but the hatchbacks and Nexon itself are good products.

Obvioisly, the Sonet has a proper AT so that's a plus. I'd say keep an open mind for both and evaluate them with no preconception.
AZT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 18:14   #53
BHPian

So, given that I've not seen the issues with the car or been a party to the discussions between the dealer, Tata and the customer, my gut says there is something far more sinister at work than what meets the eye here. Tata is no mom and pop organization to see it's reputation get tarnished without doing anything about it.

It also now seems that he's been offered a new car by Tata. It took long for it to happen I'd agree. They've also asked him to quantify his loss. I think it's a fair deal. Is six months too long? Probably is. But, on the flip side it took my friend 4 years to get his money (60L) back from a builder for an illegal apartment and that too without any interest added on to it. Also, any organization offering reimbursement and replacement will request for all social media evidence to be withdrawn as a part of the deal. It's par for the course.

I think the Tata screwed up royally by allowing this to blow up out of proportion. Should've been nipped in the bud. The customer on the other hand seems to now have additional demands. Just take the deal and walk dude. S**t happens in life.

And for those suggesting that one never should never buy a Tata. What should one buy then? I own a Tata Hexa and I've owned a Honda, VW, Renault and two Hyundais over the last 7 years. They're all the same more or less when it comes to after sales. None of them are a bag of roses. There are enough horror stories with all brands. The grass is always greener. I know of quite a few Harrier and Safari owners who are super happy with their cars.

Last edited by yd_gli : 11th October 2021 at 18:17.
yd_gli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:00   #54
BHPian

Scary and eye opening.

We see a lot of type of car owners across tbhp and else where with varied opinion. Personally I am a great fan of Tata cars and still love the Hexa and was almost about to buy a Tiago. Now the Punch is something that I like.

I am relieved to the fact that I suggested my friend not to go for a Safari when he was planning to buy one.

Few things that Tata should learn from Mahindra especially with these BETA cars are, the service and customer support is key and not just looks + safe cars.

Btw, in this particular case it is evident that the dealer is playing the villain, and the manufacturer technically would try to arrange things without harming the dealer much.

On my XUV5OO when the dealer tried the wrongdoing with the engine repair, the manufacturer was ready to comedown and solve this and provide assurances to my comfort.
peterjim13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:28   #55
BHPian

Scary behavior by Tata, I own a Zest and have had a great ownership experience for the past 6 years. I have recommended Nexon & Altroz to a few people.

In the past few years, I have seen a few Tata service centers shutdown near me. (I like/liked all of them)
1. Marigold Tata
2. Concorder Sakinaka
3. MyDSM Kurla (I have heard that they are struggling)

I think Tata needs to have a good hard look at why service centers are closing shop. May be the operation costs are too much.

Regarding this case -

When Tata Engineers saw the car for the first time, I am sure they identified it as a lemon. I am also sure the customer service team within Tata, right up to the top decision makers must know what this man is going through. Since Safari is new, I am sure they have war rooms for such cases (If not, then there lies the answer).

A new vehicle should have been issued a long time ago. Loss on one vehicle wouldn't dent Tata much but the good will, will be immense.

And if there are too many such vehicles that it is commercially not viable, then Tata has launched a pre beta vehicle and deserve all the negative publicity they are getting.

I, for one, more than at the dealer, hope that heads roll at Tata for QC, testing approvals & Customer support. For if there is no change then Tata sales will be again going down.

Also while such publicity now helps XUV 700, we as a community have been seeing such threads popup for Harrier long before.

PS - I think the owner/Victim spoke about a lot of things like CEO resignations and stuff that don't really concern him. It felt at some point that he wanted to create an atmosphere of distrust. I understand it comes from his feeling cheated and absolutely helpless but that could/should be avoided.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:41   #56
BHPian

Guys, Dada motors seem to be crooks.

Checkout the post for details: (I was able to find two similar issues)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5161297 (Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue)

Tata not been able to keep then on a leash is partly to blame here. (So it doesnt absolve them either)
SideView is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:55   #57
BHPian

Allow me to put my few points on legal aspects.

While the consumer has the right to get his grievances cleared and loss compensated, unreasonable demands cannot be upheld either in discussions or in a court of law. The customer has gone overboard with his allegations and the claims need to be proved when either party goes to court.

No doubt that his car is a lemon and needs to be replaced but his claim of fraud, his "made in India" saga does not seem to be having solid legal grounds. Maximum the company is looking at a claim of negligent service, replacement of car or refund of money and some little compensation.

Action over dealer will be the company's discretion and the customer cannot force the company to acts on his will.

As a company, TATA has the right to protect business and reputation equally as a customer. Once the customer has gone public with unfound allegations and causing defamation to its reputation and consequential loss to the company which is much higher than what a genuine compensation to his loss, the company has full legal grounds to sue him for losses. Here I am referring to all allegations of fraud, not being made in India, etc.

I watched all the 3 videos and feel that the customer has got himself in a catch 22 situation. He wants to fight on moral grounds while he is repeatedly having a discussion on quantifying the compensation. IMHO the customer is now struck with his own mess created of the situation by unnecessary allegations and demands. He is now trying his way to wriggle out of it while trying to maintain his public stand.

His public sharing of the home visit video only proves that he is not willing to listen or settle his grievances. This will only go against him in court. He himself accepted that he lost his temper in the meeting also.

He gave browny points to the company and lost his initial advantage. He threatens the officials of a criminal case and is unwilling to listen, in such a situation as a company, TATA will be forced to take preventive steps. Let us not forget that even the company will be having all the meeting videos as their pieces of evidence of his temper flareups and unwillingness to discuss the issue.

The customer seems to have lost a major advantage legally. I still wish he is compensated, money refunded and case closed. Big companies have a large panel of lawyers and deal with the court on daily basis as their normal work routine. It's a long-drawn battle if it takes a legal course.

Last edited by drsnt : 11th October 2021 at 23:00. Reason: Grammer, Repeations
drsnt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:14   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Its appalling that a business group that supposedly claims to be ethical can also be accused of such blatant disregard for ethics
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
With Tata the issue is more cultural than skill which makes the difference between global brands like toyota and local brands like Tata.
Tata does have some work culture problems. Tata group does not have enough regards towards their hard working employees. This is the only business group which does not reward its sincere employees according to market pay matrix. I have a friend in a very high post in commercial vehicle spares division and he is paid 3/4 according to market. Even kirloskar and Greaves " both almost sarkari company work culture" pay more. He has been there for 12 years and Tata's work culture killed what he had in him. Now he says he can not work anywhere else, as he has no motivation left. They follow a set of rule and one has to work in that given space only. Out of box thinking are not rewarded enough. Even at this very high position he has little decisison making authority and he is directed most of the time about what to do.

Tata power limited, Delhi is also a curious case in the same manner. Delhi has two DISCOMS. One is Reliance (Anil Ambani) called BSES and the other is Tata known as TPDDL. Half of the employees in these two Discoms are from erstwhile Government of Delhi Vidyut Board (DVB), who were absorbed in both Discoms. BSES pay their own employees almost same salarly as DVB employees but TPDDL does not. Tata pays around 3/4 of DVB to their TPDDL employees. BSES also employs better machine and softwares in comparison with TPDDL. There is so much internal office politics in TPDDL that it is hard for good employees to work truthfully and to their best of abilities and those who still do, are not appreciated and rewarded (money/incentive) enough. TPDDL has more levels of hiearchy than BSES. TPDDL has strict 4 years rule before promotion while BSES may give out of turn promotion. The only thing that works for TPDDL emoloyees is that job security is higher than BSES as TPDDL rarely fires anyone.

How TCS milks its freshers is another issue. Tata has some serious work culture problems.

Mods please delete if off topic.

Last edited by Sran : 11th October 2021 at 23:17.
Sran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:17   #59
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
The support for TATA motors and their agent/dealer as a matter of conjecture and in spite of the evidence to contrary is baffling. As a former and current customer of TATA motors - I can identify with every bit of the sentiment of the owner - its the least customer-friendly organization and the quality of their products is the worst I have experienced, only worse thing than the product is the quality of the service they provide.
I disagree. On multiple fronts, I have had excellent experiences with TATA Motors, their customer service, their service networks and with my Nexon. As I've said before there is something about the naysayers here on THB forum and TATA products. The knives are always ready!!

I have personally recommend the Nexon to multiple folks and the owners are a happy bunch. What I really can't wrap my head around is that after mentioning 'quality of their products is the worst' and if this is from experience, why have you bought a Tata vehicle??? I mean, on one hand you've mentioned they are atrocious, while still being a former and hilariously a 'current' customer seriously..

Switch to the Koreans or VAG products. Any reason you still continue to live with a TATA product?
Old 11th October 2021, 23:45   #60
BHPian

One mistake and second one for the sake of wife :-) so that's the reason and I also hoped against hope that things would have changed.. hope that answers it.

I reason I live with it is that is a secondary vehicle now and don't want to spend any additional money on vehicles
vivek.singh.73 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks