Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2007, 21:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

HM Service Centre Woes

All these days I had been hearing about HM's poor A.S.S but never experienced it first-hand. Now that I purchased a second-hand Lancer, I got the red carpet treatment.
I'm going to get some mods done to my car alongwith an overhaul of the engine, brakes, suspension and anything else that merits it. I needed some basic running repairs done by HM's authorized workshop, Shah Automobiles before I get the mods done elsewhere. These were:
1. Fix the door hinges, which were rattling
2. Take care of a droning sound that was coming from the wheels
3. Tighten the front seats
4. Paint the dashboard which had become dull and scuffed after 7 years.

The only reason I chose HM to do #4 was that it involved opening & refitting the dash, which I wasn't too keen on getting done from outside. To make sure there was no misunderstanding, I even took my laptop and showed them the exact colour-scheme that I wanted.

They promised me the car within 4 days. Eventually, they returned the car a day late.
The only thing they had fixed was #2, which needed a wheel bearing change. Cost me a pretty penny, but I knew Mistubishi parts were expensive.
The rest of the things, however, were another sorry story.
All 8 hinges (2 per door) had been changed, but all the doors continued to make noises while opening/closing. The front seats were still wobbly.
The dash paintjob was the most disappointing. I had asked for a matt black - light grey combo, but they made the black so dark & shiny, and the grey so light, that the interiors resembled a chess board. The finishing was also poor, with over-running colours at the edges and dark smudges on the lighter (grey) trim.
In addition to these, the dash rattled, there was increased wind-noise in the car with the windows up, the right seat belt cap was missing and they had cracked the cover of one of the alloys.
And the best part is I was charged 18.1k for the job, which resulted in me having more problems after, than I had before the service.
I returned the car the next day, and told them to clean up their act and rectify these issues. I was promised it would be done, and that the car would be ready by the weekend (it was Wed morning then).
Friday came, but there was no sign of any progress... they guaranteed the car on Monday (today). Went there today, and was informed that the dash painting hadn't even started - apparently the painter was absent for the last 4 days (wonder how I had seen him on Friday then!!).
The car is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. It has been a frustrating and disappointing experience with these guys, and the worst part is.. they are supposed to be the better of the two A.S.S centres in Kolkata!
I will post some updates on this thread. I hope I get my car in a decent condition tomorrow.
If someone else has faced this sort of plight at the hands of HM, pls add your bits here. And is there anything that can be done about it?
Old 28th May 2007, 21:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mymy ! They still haven't done it ??!
I would take the car from them and get it done outside. It would mean wasting some money, but it would ensure that they don't inject any more new problems in the car.

Skoda A.S.S is heaven by comparison, eh ?
Old 28th May 2007, 21:39   #3
BHPian

I guess it varies from city to city...Back here in Delhi- Excel Motors Treats you like a King.
Old 28th May 2007, 21:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the club razor4077. Would suggest you get in touch with the local HM representative. They have one in every city. Write a mail to:

customersupport@hindustan-motors.com

Don't expect a prompt reply, they take a week to reply. Mention that you want the local reps number. Call him and give him an earful. have him come inspect your car and give the instructions to the HM service guys.

Also, one thing you have to remember is never to pay a single paise till your happy. They charge ridiculously for tightening or changing door hinges or replacing bumper clips that it aint funny.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Mymy ! They still haven't done it ??!
I would take the car from them and get it done outside. It would mean wasting some money, but it would ensure that they don't inject any more new problems in the car.

Skoda A.S.S is heaven by comparison, eh ?
Actually, more than Skoda, I would say Hyundai A.S.S is heaven by comparison. Even the Maruti A.S.S in Manipal where I took my Zen was much, much better.

@vid: thanks... will give them another day, then will do as u suggested.

The way the workshop looks should have given me an idea of their service and worksmanship. It's like entering a dump... there is no pitch/concrete road - just a pathway of sorts littered with loose stones, garbage and pieces of glass. There is a yard where wrecked cars lie in wait of the insurance inspectors, and a shed where they work on some cars. Parts and equipment are strewn all over the place. The only place that is a little organized is the main workshop area, where they work on the Mitsubishis. The Amby's have another less equipped part of the garage to themselves.
I was pretty shocked that they work on expensive cars like Lancers, Cedias, Pajeros and Monteros in such a place. Will take some pics if I can.
The underlying point is the supreme lack of professionalism and pride in one's work.
And the sad thing is, Shah Automobiles is not the only place like this in India. There are many, and scant little has been done about it.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

hey Razor, are you sure you aren't describing the HM service at bangalore. That's the exact same description as the bangy one. Although there's more chaos here as they have mahindra also under the same roof.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

lol.... no mahindras here, but thats the official version. they accept many cars apart from HM/Mitsubishi ones. saw an Octy today, Santro's etc...
i don't even know if they are supposed to do that officially.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

razor,

Arent there any professional car aesthetics shops in Kolkata where you could have done the dash up instead of at HM ?
Old 28th May 2007, 22:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear the pathetic state of affairs at the workshop. I think as the numbers that HM is doing in terms of sale etc. reflect on this . Maybe they are a frustrated lot. BUT workshops are the most lucrative part of the dealership - they surely need to tighten their belts. Vid is right about letting customer supoort know of this miserable attitude of the dealer. You must provide the company with feedback for whatever it is worth !!

Hope this gets sorted out to your satisfaction

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 28th May 2007 at 22:35.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

@mag: yes, i did have that option, but as I mentioned, I wanted to get the dash taken apart/refitted at HM. not that it helped - they did a shoddy job and the dash was rattling after they put it back. in retrospect, i should have done it somewhere outside. lesson learnt.
problem is, i've paid 8.5k for the dash+center console+door panels painting so i'm making them redo it, rather than getting it redone elsewhere and paying that much again.
@ricky: i agree about the feedback part. let's see what unfolds tomorrow...
Old 28th May 2007, 23:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Brings back old memories. Shah is the best HM-Mitsu A.S.S. here. Austin is much worse(yeah, much worse.. they also repair RTVs at the same shop floor). Shah kept my Lancer from 12th Jan 2004 till the 20th May. Their claim was that there were no parts coming from Chennai. I mailed all the big shots I could find out about and nothing happened. Then, when I finally did get the car, the battery was kaput(they had left it connected they said), the paint work was really bad and, they had glued up the side skirts though they had charged for new ones. One OE fog was missing and the rear left speaker had a big hole on the cone. The bill came to around 1.3 biggies. But, they did subtract the skirts from the bill. But, i had to buy a new battery for their fault. They also said that the fog was missing from the start and the speaker was already damaged when they got the car. Partly it was my fault as I was upset after the crash and did not make them inspect the car and check everything.
The car never was the same again and used to pull to one side. They said nothing more could be done and I should get rid of her.
Oh! On a previous service call, they had done tire rotation with my directional tires. They were very proud of it. They said no other work shop does this!
Skoda A.S.S is better...much better.
Old 28th May 2007, 23:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Need to find an alternative. Seriously.
Wonder why no one has complained prior to this. Does HM/Mitsubishi even care? I mean, if I do complain, what kind of action is taken?
Old 29th May 2007, 00:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

For mechanicals, try Topaz. Though Skoda A.S.S., they have a separate service bay for other brands. And, heard from my friends that they are pretty good. In fact, they are better at it than servicing the Skodas! Or, you could try the Austin work shop. Maybe they have improved. Take the road opposite to the Skoda showroom, take the first right and keep on driving. it'll come up on your right. Otherwise,find out an independent garage. There is one on Elgin road (lane opposite the huge medical store)where we used to take our Ambys. Those days, they used to service some imports too. Don't know if they'll work on Lancers though.
Old 29th May 2007, 09:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

the rear left door has been giving problems to me for some weeks now. went yesterday and it was fixed promptly. No charge.

Had a panel gap on the left rear light area after the new one was fitted. complained and it was promptly taken care of.

The only cost I have had until now is the tyre change which I was actually happy to go ahead with.

AUtonova mechs are also very happy in explaining each and every cost.

and they only charge 20K for colouring the whole car.

atleast autonova mitsubishi is nice and I vouch for it.

BUT HM is going the Fiat way and the dealers which once were proud of their work are careless these days.
Old 29th May 2007, 12:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well, here's an update...
I have pretty much reached the end of my patience with these HM folks. Went to the workshop in the morning today, and they still hadn't started repainting the dash. This time I stood there till they started the work. Guy said he'll have the car ready for me by tonight.
On further questioning he admitted that it might take until tomorrow. I asked him to have it ready for me by lunch tomorrow, else I wanted a refund and I would file a complaint with HM.
I am sick of these unprofessional, incompetent so & so's.

@devarshi, wolf: u guys are lucky to get good service from HM. u have no idea how lucky!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks