Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:42   #1
BHPian

Poor experience with BMW Bavaria Motors, Pune service center

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Bavaria story. :
I had a feeling I’m not the only one with a grudge to hold with this particular showroom.
Had to actually search for a mention in the forum. An update to this thread after 3+ years, but based out of my personal experience.

Got my hands on a pre-owned X3 (f25) in October last year. Wanting to get it serviced from Pune, which is where I was at the time visiting folks, I’d booked an appointment with Bavaria. My experience has been less than ordinary with this particular service centre. It was already November by the time i has given the car off for the service.
BMW owners, please feel free to advice comment on the following:

1. As a part of getting a few cosmetic changes done, I’d asked for the ///M badge at the rear. Bavaria manged to get the “X3” off, leave a very apparent yellow mark on then put on the M badge on top of it. I was to get it detailed anyways after the service, but was quite surprised at the attitude at which this was presented.
2. Engine oil was to be changed as a part of the service. I live in Goa, and I’d left for Goa a couple of days after I’d got the car back. A low engine oil level error appeared when I’d just managed to enter goa. This is a barely 500 kms post an annual service. (Pic attached). Bavaria nonchalantly mentioned they could only gauge the oil level electronically, and I should fill in a litre of the same grade! Seriously?! Is this normal after an oil change? I’ll be surprised if it is.
3. A sunroof, by far, is the most useless feature(for me). The one on my car was squeaking a bit during my purchase. Bavaria had absolutely no clue what to do with it, and the SA told me it’ll only get repaired/maintained if it leaks! Now that statement in itself appears concerning on so many other levels. Anyhow, it still squeaks!

Apart from the driving experience that the F25 has given me till now, I really hope Bavaria Goa, or Infinity Mumbai manages to give a better impression. (The recent Turbhe incident notwithstanding).

Goa/Pune/Mumbai BMW owners, I’d really appreciate suggestions for good service centres. I myself live in Goa and have families in the other two cities where I visit often.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor experience with BMW Bavaria Motors, Pune service center-eeb8c846abd8497aa6aa9d2451b823b7.jpeg  

humbleroadster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 04:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bavaria Motors BMW Experience - Rs 15000 ransom to sell a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Is this normal after an oil change? I’ll be surprised if it is.
Its not, unless your engine is burning oil at a rapid rate, which you will notice from your tail pipe.

Before you pour in any more oil, check using iDrive if its actually low. Park the car on level ground, let the engine warm up and then do a check. It takes a few minutes.

In this case, I am going to blame BMW more than your dealer. A simple oil level check could have been done with a dip stick but them genius engineers decided to remove it!
sandeepmohan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 06:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

In this case, I am going to blame BMW more than your dealer. A simple oil level check could have been done with a dip stick but them genius engineers decided to remove it!
Hi Sandeep,
There is a dip stick (at least in the F25) right behind the cylinders. Which was showing low at the time. (Checked by me after the error showed up).
And that is the exact issue I’m pointing out. When there is a provision to manually measure the oil level, the service engineers want to depend on the iDrive, specially during a refill?! The iDrive ofcourse showed the error across multiple screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor experience with BMW Bavaria Motors, Pune service center-0e5cb8e6fa094a139715bf251264a6fc.jpeg  

Poor experience with BMW Bavaria Motors, Pune service center-abf7ea9d43c84c8aa45d71964bb73e63.jpeg  

humbleroadster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 06:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a dip stick (at least in the F25) right behind the cylinders. Which was showing low at the time.
Yikes! Where did all that oil go, in just 500km!
Can you look around the sump for oil leaks?
There is no way for an engine that is running perfect to suddenly pick up an oil drinking habit.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 07:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Yikes! Where did all that oil go, in just 500km!
Can you look around the sump for oil leaks?
There is no way for an engine that is running perfect to suddenly pick up an oil drinking habit.
So what I did was, and again this was in November, filled up a litre of oil of the same grade. Post that I drove her around and kept checking for the error. None showed up. A Goa-Pune round trip without any errors in December was when I was relieved!

So in my little knowledge and understanding of the issue, there wasn’t a leak at all. So far the error hasn’t re-appeared. (Touchwood!)

Can the engine oil travel various components through the engine, and then show a low level after a 500 kms drive is what I’m wondering. I mean because initially the oil was refilled at a lower level and gauged electronically?
humbleroadster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 07:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can the engine oil travel various components through the engine, and then show a low level after a 500 kms drive is what I’m wondering
No, that’s not usual. Filling less oil is not usual either as these dealerships earn a lot. They sell oil from larger barrels at couple of times over the costs.

That dealership should have sent you a bottle of oil without charge when the error was pointed out. Sometimes, I wonder how these people can be so high-handed, small gestures get you repeat customers.

Drop an email to BMW customer care with details and ask for an explanation.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Poor experience with BMW Bavaria Motors, Pune service center

Poor experience with BMW Bavaria Motors, Pune service center - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 20:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Very surprised and would be good to get feedback from Pune BHPians on Bavaria Motors. This looks like a classic case of someone having filled an insufficient quantum of oil - human error which should not happen at BMW.

My experience with Infinity (both Lalbaug and Turbhe) has generally been quite good. And that is without using potential connects with a fellow BHPian who works there. So if Bavaria is mediocre, and you are in Bombay often, do plan your services while you are here.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 21:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Goa/Pune/Mumbai BMW owners, I’d really appreciate suggestions for good service centres. I myself live in Goa and have families in the other two cities where I visit often.
I also got a pre-owned X3 (F25) in 2020. I am getting it serviced from the Mechanix Automotive on Baner-Aundh link road and have had a good experience with the same. I haven't checked the service costs with BMW Bavaria Motors as the car is already out of warranty.
adi.mariner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 21:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my hands on a pre-owned X3 (f25) in October last year.

As a part of getting a few cosmetic changes done, I’d asked for the ///M badge at the rear. Bavaria manged to get the “X3” off, leave a very apparent yellow mark on then put on the M badge on top of it.
Annoying, but a minor thing they should have fixed on the spot, regardless of your getting the car detailed later or not.

Quote:
I’d left for Goa a couple of days after I’d got the car back. A low engine oil level error appeared when I’d just managed to enter goa. This is a barely 500 kms post an annual service.
It's absolutely not normal, and your motoring about after topping it off shows it was not a leak as such. I suspect the oil change wasn't done, or wasn't done right. Extremely disappointing, and alarming. Not something to trifle with.

Quote:
The sunroof on my car was squeaking a bit during my purchase. Bavaria had absolutely no clue what to do with it
A bit of lubricant should fix it up right away, not a biggie. Stumped as to why the dealership didn't oblige. It's not a big deal.

Quote:
Infinity Mumbai manages to give a better impression. (The recent Turbhe incident notwithstanding).
I've only ever had good experiences at Navnit Motors' service center at Thane, and the Infiniti service center at Turbhe is even more popular. Servicing a bimmer in Mumbai is not a problem at all, don't worry about it. Compared to this experience, it'll be like Utopia.

Quote:
I've only used the one service center in Pune, which was Mechanix Automotive, when an ABS sensor failed while I was en route from Mumbai to Pune. Friendly guys, very courteous, very professional, and timely with their work. I called them while on the way, and they had it ready and fitted within an hour of my arrival. Prices are on par with Bombay (so about 30% or so less than the dealership), so no problems there. I think the owner is a Team BHPian too, with a lovely black VRS.

Good luck with your travels, and stay away from that service center. Seems very lackadaisacal, which is disappointing to say the least. You care for a BMW, and it'll take care of you. You fail to do so, and it'll bite you hard (like yours almost did). Can't stress how important it is to be pre-emptive and pamper these Germans.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

Good luck with your travels
Thank you Sir!
I am a sailor and the interstate travels are what I miss the most while at sea.
Mechanix Automotive has been mentioned twice over in this thread, and I’ve made a note of it. Bombay, as you advice, is good to go as well.

I’ve been a fan of your 328i posts and have enjoyed reading the “maharaja of mayhem” updates!
Like you, the 328i was on my list for a long time, but due to distance maintenance away from home half the time I couldn’t find one when I had to actually make a purchase. But hey, the F25 fits me well(I’m 6’4”), and I now worship the inline 6!
Old 27th January 2022, 12:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I’ve been a fan of your 328i posts and have enjoyed reading the “maharaja of mayhem” updates!
Thank you saar! I aim to please.

Quote:
Like you, the 328i was on my list for a long time, but due to distance maintenance away from home half the time I couldn’t find one when I had to actually make a purchase.
That's true, getting hold of one of these bad boys isn't easy since it barely ever sold in the first place! The 330i is the only solution, but it costs a lot more moolah in the pre-owned market.

Quote:
The F25 fits me well(I’m 6’4”), and I now worship the inline 6!
You've made an excellent choice in the X3 with the inline 6 diesel. It's a workhorse that can turn into a thoroughbred stallion at will, and it sounds great with a tune and a downpipe, much more than any diesel engine has any right to. (not that I'm advising you to go down that route, mind you!)
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 00:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sandeep,
There is a dip stick (at least in the F25) right behind the cylinders. Which was showing low at the time. (Checked by me after the error showed up).
And that is the exact issue I’m pointing out. When there is a provision to manually measure the oil level, the service engineers want to depend on the iDrive, specially during a refill?! The iDrive ofcourse showed the error across multiple screens.
Every engine has a specific oil refill quantity which needs to be adhered to during service. Any good workshop and especially an authorised dealer workshop will always know the oil fill quantity for the cars they work on. For customer reference it is also mentioned in the owners manual. During service when the old oil is drained out the technician only has to refill the specified quantity of new oil without referring to the dipstick. The dipstick is a safeguard just to double check and not meant to be the main reference point for filling the right quantity. Hence them being able to check only electronically is a load of rubbish since they shouldn’t need to do that in the first place.

Since you didn’t find any signs of leakage it appears that the wrong quantity of oil was filled and this happening at the authorised workshop is sheer incompetence. They know they’ve goofed up and are just trying to cover it up.
Potenza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
They know they’ve goofed up and are just trying to cover it up.
The question that remains now, is if I should actually inform the customer service about this, now that the ordeal is done with.
I don’t know how far an action to enforce preventive measures will be implemented to avoid further re-occurrence with other customers.
Imagine this happening at a lower oil level in the remote Nippani-Sawantwadi section where I’d have struggled to get the same grade of oil!
It’s just simply stupid to drive around with a can of extra oil after an oil change for these “just in case” scenarios!
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 12:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The question that remains now, is if I should actually inform the customer service about this, now that the ordeal is done with.
I don’t know how far an action to enforce preventive measures will be implemented to avoid further re-occurrence with other customers.
You should inform the customer care guys but don’t expect anything to change.

In your case I think what went wrong was that they filled your engine with the quantity that is required for the 4cyl engine which would obviously be lesser than the oil required by your straight six. Someone obviously forgot which is totally stupid but somehow I am not surprised.

After you picked up the car the lesser quantity was fine till your hard highway drive in which a small quantity would’ve evaporated which then triggered the low oil indicator.

For your kind of regular highway use I would recommend checking your dipstick before you leave. That will ensure that you dont need to carry the oil with you.

Last edited by Potenza : 30th January 2022 at 12:10. Reason: Spelling mistake
Potenza is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks