Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2022, 15:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Review : Experience of selling a car to the used car startups

I had good experience with Spinny when i sold my ~10yr old i10 to them last month.

- They were prompt and professional
- Were clear about the process and highlighted the fact that they take full responsibility/liability of the vehicle post sale
- Their offer was good, did not have to negotiate much. They offered me more than half the price i paid when i bought my i10 in 2012 so i did not bother talking to many others.
- Paperwork and Payment were quick, i had zero hassles. This process took under an hour for me.

So yeah pretty good experience with them.
Old 20th June 2022, 17:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
I had good experience with Spinny when i sold my ~10yr old i10 to them last month.

- They were prompt and professional
- Were clear about the process and highlighted the fact that they take full responsibility/liability of the vehicle post sale
- Their offer was good, did not have to negotiate much. They offered me more than half the price i paid when i bought my i10 in 2012 so i did not bother talking to many others.
- Paperwork and Payment were quick, i had zero hassles. This process took under an hour for me.

So yeah pretty good experience with them.
Hi xbox360, if you don't mind can you please share the details of the purchase price and the sale price. You can DM the same to me as well - Thank you!
Old 21st June 2022, 08:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Hi xbox360, if you don't mind can you please share the details of the purchase price and the sale price. You can DM the same to me as well - Thank you!
I think my i10 1.2 Magna back in 2012 costed me 4.75L on road (this is my recollection, i do not remember this exactly).

Spinny offered me 2.7L in May and i took the offer.

Hope this helps.
xbox360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 22:34   #19
BHPian

When I tried selling my car 3 years back, I tried Cars24, Car Dekho and CarTrade. I went to all of them and Cars24, Car Dekho both gave very low ball offers which I was not happy with. Cars24 was the better of the two and sounded more professional. Car Trade at that time was more of a market place but I see that they have more features now.
I had a very bad experience with Olx platform when I bought a refrigerator earlier from a second hand dealer through them. So trust is very hard to come by for any transaction with them.
Also my experience with car selling market place sites is that you get lot of fake offers, phishing calls with only 10-20% genuine buyers.
Eventually I gave the car to my brother-in-law vexed with all the low offers I was getting from online dealers and the amount of con men I had to deal with when I advertised online.
local second hand car dealers are a whole different ball game. I feel, a lot of times, they exist only to con both buyers as well as sellers and make money for themselves. Its not worth going to them unless you know them.

Spinny is something that I haven't used and its good to know positive feedback about them. As-is, the used car market all over the world is very hot due to all the supply chain shortages and will continue for some more time to come.
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Visit 1 dealer in city and your RC will be circulated in their whatsapp group, you would get same offer from every dealer in the city 10k+/-.
That's a real thing cause these people are in the business and have developed a lobby so that the guy selling his vehicle will not be able to sell it at a higher price in the market.
In cities where we have such problems either go for for individual buyer or corporate buyers whoever is easy to deal with.
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 12:39   #21
BHPian

From the reviews I see most of the people are happy with spinny, but I wonder if any of the bhpians have had a chance to test a platform that is best when one intends to purchase a pre-worshipped car?
Old 6th July 2022, 12:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
I sold my 2015 Grand i10 to Spinny 35k kms and bought a 2017 XUV500 33k kms form them this month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Spinny's is good with their process, but in my experience, they pocket a fat margin. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I had a very bad experience with both Cars24 and Cardekho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
Recently sold our Nissan Micra Active to Olx Autos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
One of my friends was looking out to buy a new SUV after a decade of ownership of Honda City.
He consulted 4 corporate pre-owned car buyers Cars24, Car Dekho, OLA Cars and Spinny.
Gents, since you'll have had recent experiences in dealing with these used car portals, I thought of quoting you and posing the below question.
My used car of 2009 vintage has been quoted the same/similar value by all these dealers - i.e. Spinny, OlxAutos (Cars24 inspection is pending) and Maruti True value. Well - we can say this is the cartel in operation (in BLR) and for that reason I had True value evaluate the car first (under the assumption that they do the evaluation inhouse and don't put the car on the auction platform)

Now given a choice between these (True Value vs the rest), would there be a preference on whom to opt for?

The following points need consideration
1. My car is eligible for the 50% NCB discount on the insurance - My understanding is that I will not be able to procure the same till the car is sold off to another buyer. Is this correct? That means till the time the car is on the lot, I cannot get this.

2. The TrueValue person told me that in the event the car is unsold for 2 months, they will transfer it in the name of the dealer (who will become the 2nd owner) - hence they have a specific incentive to sell the car ASAP.
The TrueValue inspection was the most brief one - he just gave the car a once over, took a few pics, put the car in gear (forward /reverse), drove for 1 meter [yes you read it right]. The lone thing is it seems if I hand the car in the morning, the money will get transferred only by evening. Since this is a Maruti dealer, I suppose this should be fine(?)

3. Coming to Spinny, I think they will do some work on the car and then sell it at a big premium - which means the car will take time to get listed - this will delay me getting the NCB certificate

Keeping the above points in mind, if all of them offer me the same price, would there be a preference on whom to go with? Await you inputs.

Thanks!
Old 6th July 2022, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Gents, since you'll have had recent experiences in dealing with these used car portals, I thought of quoting you and posing the below question.
Please negotiate with Spinny on the price offered.

For the NCB, I had tried to transfer the insurance to my next car, but Spinny did not allow it citing reasons that the car may be lying unsold for upto 60 days and should have a valid insurance.
Old 6th July 2022, 13:07   #24
BHPian

I sold the car to Spinny and canceled the existing insurance to get the NCB certificate (also got the part premium refund on pro rata). I needed the 50% NCB to buy another insurance for my next car.

Spinny then sold the car and new insurance has been purchased for it.

Yes, Spinny did get my signatures on the insurance transfer papers, but that does not mean I should wait for them to sell the car to get the NCB ( I will also lose the partial premium refund in that case).
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 13:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I sold the car to Spinny and canceled the existing insurance to get the NCB certificate (also got the part premium refund on pro rata). I needed the 50% NCB to buy another insurance for my next car.

Spinny then sold the car and new insurance has been purchased for it.

Yes, Spinny did get my signatures on the insurance transfer papers, but that does not mean I should wait for them to sell the car to get the NCB ( I will also lose the partial premium refund in that case).
That's a very interesting insight - if I can cancel my insurance without the car actually getting sold, what happens if there is an accident in that time frame?
Old 6th July 2022, 14:02   #26
BHPian

Had a very bad experience with Spinny -

My dad has a 2011 Hyundai i10 AT Sportz with around 51k on the ODO. It is a 2nd owner car bought from a family friend at ODO reading of 35k, 5 years back. I have seen this car since new, so was well aware of the usage and condition due to which it was a easy decision to buy it when they were planning to move out of town. The car is very well sorted mechanically and always serviced at Hyundai ASC with no outstanding issues. Even though dad did not have any plans to sell the car, the aim was to check how much the car is worth on the secondary market as he had already received offers from other individuals and Hyundai during service. Car lived in Bangalore until 2018 and since then its currently residing in Mangalore.

Existing issues with the car -
1. It was sideswiped (passenger side) by a biker when the car had run about 250Kms in Bangalore. The door skins on the left hand side had a small gash. Even though it could have been repaired, our friend decided to claim insurance and it was set right by replacing door skins by Hyundai. There was no other damage to the glass, door mechanisms, fenders, quarter panel, running board etc.
2.The car lived its initial life in Bangalore. When we took delivery of the car, I got the front and back bumper covers painted and the car detailed.

Issues highlighted by the Spinny inspector. The car was inspected in Mangalore -
1. Full left side repainted - Not true. Told him to prove it using the paint depth guage. He didn't have it handy.
2. Bumper covers repainted - Accepted and I had informed in advance.
3. Slight nudge when we change gears from R to D - It's barely noticeable and not a "jerk" which could be attributed to gearbox failing. I mostly drive manuals and high end AT/CVTs, so had to take second opinion on this. Two of my friends have the same car + GB combination and it's prevalent on both their cars since new. I had raised this with 2 different SA's, one in Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore and also for peace of mind, brought it up again at Kanchana Hyundai in Mangalore. Their feedback was it was just the gears engaging and is as factory spec.
4. Car is flooded - Again, not true. Spinny inspector mentioned that the car was flooded because he could see Surface Rust on the steering knuckle/dashboard mounts inside the Cabin. When i asked him what other factors he took into consideration to arrive at that conclusion, he said only the rust on them was a sufficient indicator. I had to remind him that we live in a coastal city and MS parts do tend to surface rust. To prove my point, I showed him the same with my neighbors MS Swift. He couldn't prove his statements, yet noted it down on his report.

After putting up with all this stupidity, they quoted us 1.3 Lakhs lesser than the least quote we had received from other parties. I straight away declined it and again asked for them to proof for their observations, which they didn't provide. They called me again the next day and quoted 30k more which I again refused and politely asked them to never call me again. The inspector mentioned he had almost 45 car inspections under his belt and is trained for it, which I really doubt. Having known the complete history of the car and yet listening to the sub-standard inspection points, I was objective enough to ask him to prove his observations, which on multiple occasions he couldn't. Can't help but wonder how many people would have been taken for a ride like this.

Again - This is just my experience. I have heard great reviews on Spinny but from other cities. For time being, my dad will be retaining the old girl and giving her a cosmetic refresh. He doesn't drive the car much plus I live in a different city.

Thanks for reading my rant
Old 6th July 2022, 14:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
That's a very interesting insight - if I can cancel my insurance without the car actually getting sold, what happens if there is an accident in that time frame?

That is for Spinny to worry about as they have taken full responsibility for the car once sold.

Yes, the acknowledgment provided by Spinny was enough for Acko to accept that the car is sold and canceled my insurance.

Last edited by Nalin1 : 6th July 2022 at 14:04.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 14:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Keeping the above points in mind, if all of them offer me the same price, would there be a preference on whom to go with? Await you inputs.

Thanks!
I think if your car is a popular model like a Swift or Corolla or Innova, you can go ahead with Spinny or OLX Autos.

For a car like ours which was the Nissan Micra Active, it is not very popular and may need time to find a buyer. This can delay the transfer process.

In that case True Value being a physical location, I will feel more comfortable since I can go and talk to the responsible person about my issues.

At Spinny and OLX Autos you can get stonewalled by their executives using improper and infrequent communication in case any issue arises. Best of luck!
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 08:07   #29
BHPian

Had an extremely bad experience with Spinny. Mine is Ford Freestyle 2018 manufactured and registered in 2019 Titanium plus diesel, 26k km run and absolutely no issues, selling due to moving abroad. So spinny initially quoted 6.52 to 8 lakhs and after detailed evaluation just gave a shocking price of 4 lakhs. Like no one ever gave such a low ball offer to my car. It was just a absolutely waste of time. The reason quoted was Ford’s exit but they themselves are selling one trim below- titanium version for 7.6 lakhs! If any fellow team bhpian has advice for a better player kindly suggest.
vDragon3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 12:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great review, thanks for sharing! The last 4 cars we sold (City Vtec, Civic, Indigo, C220) were all sold to private buyers, but I don't have the time for an individual sale anymore. Too much time gone, inevitable time-waster meetings & phone calls, giving test-drives to unknown people, strangers visiting your house etc.

Time is money.

I would also have all of these new age startups evaluate my car and go with the best offer. Would prefer to have 4 - 5 organised players check my car out than 20 strangers.
This is a great insight from a seller's perspective on a question I posted on another thread (copy/pasted below). The flip side of this trend is that buyers looking to deal directly with individual sellers seem to have been left solely at the mercy of dealers.

"I'm in the hunt for a pre owned car after a while now and see that individual listings have all but disappeared from the likes of Olx, Carwale, Spinny etc. Can anyone share why individual listings don't seem to exist anymore apart from tbhp classifieds. Are there any other reliable sources where individual sellers are posting ads? "
Memphis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks