Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 14:36   #1
BHPian

Insurance must from Dealer?

I am booking a scorpio from Vijai Auto, Bangalore. Is it must I take insurance from them or can I get it from outside like Bajaj-Allianz or Tata-Aig etc.

What is the best deal you got for a Scorpio w.r.t Insurance.
Old 27th June 2007, 19:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

@easyrider, there is nothing like "must" about it. However practically speaking that is the only feasible solution. There are advantages in taking it this way the first time around.
* Your insurance comes into force from the time you buy the vehicle. Thus your risks are covered from the onset. If you do not take the insurance from the dealer you are probably talking about driving out the vehicle from the showroom without insurance. A very risky proposition, you see?
* If you are taking a bank loan then your bankers will object to it as well.
* It will also be illegal if you are caught by the traffic cop as your vehicle must at least have the IIIrd party Insurance (Act) at all times. You will be in a bigger soup if you hit someone (or someone decides to come in front of your vehicle) and that person is injured or dies.
* Of course another personal advantage you have with the showroom insurance is that they will insure your vehicle with a company with whom they have a cashless arrrangement. This is a big help in case of claims.

All your hassles are of course solved if you can carry "your" insurance guy to the showroom and make him write the cover note so that you can drive out an insured car.

Bottomline: Do NOT drive a non-insured vehicle. You can land up in a major soup.
Old 27th June 2007, 19:42   #3
BANNED

You can insure your vehicle with any insurer.

Reading the above posts, it looks like procedures are different from TN especially Chennai.

In Chennai, no dealer will deliver a vehicle without registration. No dealer will take the vehicle to the RTO without insurance. Normally, the insurance cover note is issued on the date the vehicle is planned to visit the RTO for registration.
Old 27th June 2007, 19:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

no must that you have to take insurance from dealer and yes you can get the insurance done outside. and will require some details like invoice, engine no chasis no and all and can be made applicable from the day the car arrives at your dealer so that you can avoid any unpleasant surprises.

had done the same when i took my iKON from cochin whereas my insurance was from TVM and i carried the cover doc to the dealer.
Old 27th June 2007, 20:19   #5
BHPian

Just picked up Magnum and showroom refuse to accept outside insurance buy i convinced them some how. I got my insurance done before taking the delivery of the car so i was at no risk.
Old 28th June 2007, 10:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Getting insurance done from the dealer itself saves you the hassle of running around when you need to claim insurance for some reason. The dealer having tie ups with the insurance agents ensures an easier time during claims. Saying this from my experience. Also, go for some insurance firm which offers cashless facility. Really useful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks