Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)

Hi everyone! I think this will be my first negative post on Team-BHP in years! I was in a dilemma whether to post this thread or wait for someone from Bhavna Ford, Kalina or even Ford Customer Care to come around.
I know how difficult it is to build a business, and how easily poor publicity can ruin years of hard work, especially for the Ford service centres that are battling multiple issues that other dealerships aren't, for obvious reasons.
I am forced to post here, maybe not for the desired results, but to apprise people of the perils of giving the car for service to a Ford Authorised Service Centre, in today's times.

My Ford Aspire TDCI Titanium+ is turning 4 this year and has clocked 35.9k km (personally driven, single handed use, we don't have a chauffeur) since December, 2018. The car has seen a lot of love and care and has ONLY been serviced at Ford Authorised Service Centres. (Even the battery and windshield have been changed there, so we had a trust thing going on with both Rudra Ford, Mira Road and Bhavna Ford, Kalina)
The only time I actually let someone outside of Ford do anything out of routine, was when at 34k km, I felt the oil levels on the dipstick to be a little low, so being a true petrolhead so as to not mix Ford's oil with an aftermarket oil, I had all the oil drained, and used Motul 8100 fully synthetic oil and a brand new original Ford filter at my mechanic. This is the level of attention I have given to the car.

This time, the car was slated to go in for it's yearly service (10000km intervals but we had done only 8k this year owing to the new EV in our family) and I decided to hand over the car in usual style to Bhavna Ford, Kalina.

This was the list of things I wanted to be done:
1. Rubbing noise from the car on vertical motion (source unidentifiable by me)
2. Physical Headlight levelling (not what the levelling motor does) (I switched back to my stock headlights but I was not sure if they were leveled correctly, so I wanted to be doubly sure they're not throwing light anywhere other than intended to)
3. Full service (which at the mandatory 40k service would actually involve an oil change, air filter change, cabin filter change and a wash!) I had changed the oil and oil filter, and I am running a conical performance filter so I only opted for the cabin filter change.
4. 2018-19 Figos of a particular production batch had one or two characteristic areas of rust around the door handles, which has been addressed by Ford for many on the Figo groups out of goodwill warranty (MUCH like our DSGs, which VW tries to offer goodwill warranty, because they know there's a defect) Check the photo for details. Hence I requested my service advisor, Mr. Ashwin Tiwary to help me proceed on how to take the next step.
Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.26.04.jpeg

Everything seems normal till now, but here is what followed, in a chronological manner!

30th of September 2022, Friday: I walked into the service centre with my car by 1030 am, hoping that they would be able to do the regular service and return the car for me, and apply for the warranty at least, so I can bring the car back to the workshop once they get approvals for the same.

Ashwin told me the 'warranty guy' has not come, and I offered to wait. He said ok. I waited 1.5 hours for the same, without any intimation from Ashwin. No response. At 12 pm,I walked up to him and asked, he said he hasn't come today. I left upset, and in a huff, because I knew I wouldn't get my car back that day.

4 calls that day by me to Ashwin, with no concrete reply except SIR WARRANTY CLAIM REJECTED.
I was wondering how the claim was rejected without the warranty guy there.

Anyway,
next day
1st of October, 2022, Saturday
NO CALLS from him. I called him once, and he said, "sir the sound is due to external accessories." I asked him to double-check his claim, as nothing new was fitted, and the 'so-called accessories" were installed since a good 3 years.
At this point, I gave up on following up, and thought the service centre must be unusually busy.

2nd of October 2022, Sunday: Holiday so I didn't expect a call that day, and rightly so, it's unreasonable to expect anyone to work on a holiday.

3rd of October 2022, Monday: NO CALLS from them! I was wondering whether they found the cause of the sound. NO COMMUNICATION whatsoever! I called Ashwin at 3 PM, and he shocked me by saying, "Sir, car is ready, it has gone for a wash!" I asked him if the sound was resolved. He said NO! We can't find the cause for the sound! It's the accessories. I was livid! I was sure it was to do with the suspension bump stop rubber bush, but I am a Dentist by profession and my diagnosis is by and large correct, only when it comes to the Oral Cavity, so I decided to trust them. He asked me to make payments online, because their 'credit card' link generation has been discontinued (cost-saving, perhaps) and I did within an hour of him sending me the QR code. It was 630 PM and he told me the car would leave by 7 730 pm.
I was upset, but happy that the car was coming back at least!
I waited. 7 PM. 8 PM. 9 PM. 930 PM. I called up Ashwin. He didn't pick up my calls. But he had the GALL to send me a message to say "I didn't send it today. It will reach you by tomorrow, 7 AM." I was OUTRAGED! WHICH WORKSHOP issues a gate pass at 7 am? I suspected that the car was with the pickup and drop boys and they took it home (my suspicion, and hence I demanded my car reach me that day itself, even if it reaches by 11 PM.) A few (15 back-to-back missed calls by me ) to Ashwin, and he said he was in traffic, for which I asked him if it's ok to text in traffic and not park in the side and take my calls, when I am desperate. HE said, "sir, car wasn't ready so I couldn't send it. I Called you many times..." (not even one missed call at his aforementioned timing, except for 2 missed calls to follow up on prompt payment, so he can 'release the car on time!'
A few moments later, I called up another mechanic (who I don't wish to name here and taint, because he's been very fair and nice to me) who I had given the car to, the last time and had a very good relationship with him. His answer shocked me! He said, "Sir, I recognized your car and took a drive at 4 pm, and also made my mechanic take a drive, and he said the noise definitely exists! So we decided to keep the car back with us!"
NOW, this was the breaking point for me. I wanted my car back. I didn't trust these guys anymore! I waited for days and this was the outcome!

I waited for the next day, and managed to get the number of the Service Head there, Mr. Syed. His response shocked me! He had no idea what was going on with the car, and gave me canned apologetic responses without assuring me about the status of my car.

Which is when the aforementioned mechanic came into play, and sent me pics of my car hurriedly placed on a lift with the front suspension taken apart.) A hurried diagnosis within half an hour by their 'expert' was that the ENTIRE front suspension will have to be changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for a rubbing sound!) (a usual Service centre response when they can't diagnose a niggle is to replace, but I expected better from Ford, especially after keeping a car for 4 days)

I was given a quote of Rs. 16904, which I was totally OK with, but I didn't trust this service centre, and decided that if I am spending the same amount, I will give it to favourite (Rudra Ford, Mira Road. It is 38km from my house, which is why I always choose Kalina, but now I had lost Kalina, so Rudra would do it for me) I asked for my car back. In my last call from them, I mentioned that the car doesn't look washed at all, in the pics, and to make sure it is washed.
Here are the pics he sent:

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.28.36-2.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.28.36-1.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.28.36.jpeg

The car arrived. WHAT A SIGHT SHE WAS!!! Here are the immediate pictures for all of you to behold.

VIDEO DISCLAIMER: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR TRUE PETROLHEADS. CAN LEAD TO HEART PROBLEMS IF YOU LOVE YOUR CARS AS MUCH AS I DO

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.04.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.05-1.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.05-2.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.05.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.06-1.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.06-2.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.06.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.07-1.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.07-2.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.07.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.08-1.jpeg

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.23.08.jpeg

Have a look at the job-sheet. NO HEADLIGHT levelling, not even mentioned in the work to be done. I paid 3000 rupees (not a large amount, but I am wondering what I paid for, actually) for this harrowing experience.

Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.24.34-1.jpeg
Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.24.34.jpeg
The issues
1. Rubbing Noise: NOT RESOLVED
2. Headlight Levelling (WHAT DO YOU THINK :-))-- of course not done. Not touched at all, with the beam being as erroneous as it was when it went, and no mention of it on the job sheet.
3. Service: Cabin filter changed. WASH? You see the results and tell me.
4. Rust Issue: REJECTED, SAAR!

The ride quality has gone to the dogs, and I was suspecting something amiss. I first thought that they had changed some parts with old parts(ANYTHING can happen now, seeing what they did to me), but I found the culprit in the boot. They disassembled one side RogerAb suspension buffer from one side, and left the other one in the suspension. Leaving to the car being totally disbalanced and tilted to one side. OF COURSE, THE SUSPENSION GEOMETRY GONE TO THE DOGS! Which none of their EXPERTS identified in their 'apparent numerous test drives.'

The Mangled Culprit in the boot, for which they had no courtesy to put back, or even inform me.
Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)-whatsapp-image-20221011-12.40.20.jpeg

ADDING INSULT TO INJURY:
I have a pressure horn fitment in the car. This is how they dismounted it to check if it was the source for the sound, and then left the compressor in the car, disassembled and suspended mid air, waiting for a larger catastrophe to happen.

I have no words.
I have mailed Ford.
I have put in on Social Media.

I get a call from Ford, DAILY at 430 pm since a week from someone called Mr. Lokesh. Sir, give us a day more. Dealership is delaying.

YESTERDAY, the same guy called and said SAAAR, YOU HAVE GIVEN THE WRONG VIN NO. So since 5 days, you are running a wild goose chase with the wrong VIN?I fail to believe this! I will update this as it develops!

I wish to keep the car for a few more years, but I am not convinced that the company wants us to.

NO OFFICIAL STAND FROM FORD, AS OF 11/10/22, 11 days after the car has come back and is lying in a corner of my building, as I don't intend to drive her around with this distorted suspension geometry and do further damage.

Last edited by frankmehta : 11th October 2022 at 12:59.
frankmehta is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)

WOW! Really saddened to see the levels to which they have fallen. I have a Ford Freestyle and give it to Bhavna Ford Turbhe, and the experience has been decent so far. Once I had given a feedback that the car was not cleaned the way it should have been, for that I had received multiple calls for resolution. In your case they have messed up big time. The issue I have seen is that most of their old staff, Techs/Advisors have left the dealerships since they are unsure of the future.

But since you have escalated, hope FORD resolves your concerns.
Maverick5490 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

NO OFFICIAL STAND FROM FORD, AS OF 11/10/22, 11 days after the car has come back and is lying in a corner of my building, as I don't intend to drive her around with this distorted suspension geometry and do further damage.
Doc

Bhavana Kalina used to have an excellent team. Some of those who used to work there a long time back, I am still in touch with to this day.

So much for the adverts that Ford released about caring for their customers. The dealer gives two hoots now as the parent company won't be such a stickler for process or quality. They are really bringing forward the planned obsolescence for their cars by having service centers of such quality.

Over the years I have known what your cars mean to you and the effort you put into taking care of them. Really sorry to see the Aspire in this state. Fix it and perhaps it is a good time to plan for something new/different.
Newtown is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:28   #4
BHPian

This is the typical consequence of an OEM's exit. Good technicians see no prospect of growth and leave for greener pastures. The dealership does not bother (no growth prospect).
Only those who cannot move remain with a few trainees. I have seen this happen with a friend's GM vehicle as well.
chinkara is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:29   #5
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about this ordeal mate. I have been giving my car to Bhavna Ford, Turbhe since 2017 and my dad's Fiesta also used to go there. My experience has always been fairly average. Being in Mumbai, at least you do have a few options for servicing, but we, the Navi Mumbaikars are limited to one service centre only.

A few incidents which I can remember are-

1. There was a grinding sound from the gearbox which used to come occasionally while engaging the 2nd gear only. They said that it was because of my 'thick mats' and asked me to drive the car after removing them, as if only the second gear has a problem with my mats. This was fixed finally after 3 years when the sound suddenly increased exponentially(thank God I had taken the extended warranty).

2. I was getting the extended warranty for the 4th year and the validity as per the system would be till 30th July(2021), while I brought the car on 30th August. When asked about the discrepancy in date and why I would be getting warranty till 30th July only, the SA told me that the warranty period is applicable from the time of booking. I was shell shocked upon hearing this. I got this corrected directly via Ford.

Overall, barring a few instances, lack of ownership mindset and accountability has plagued Bhavna Ford for long. In the current scenario, this lack of accountability has become more prominent. Ford is also trying to extract the last bit of money from India by offering up to 7 years extended warranty and as a result, also enabling these service centres. As per my conversation with 1 SA at Bhavna Ford, many senior technicians have left them in search of greener pastures since they aren't sure of their future with Ford.

I hope that you have a much better experience at Rudra Ford.

Last edited by AYP : 11th October 2022 at 13:31.
AYP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the terrible experience. I guess post Ford’s exit, the company presence is just namesake, possibly just for optics. I doubt they will come back to offer anything apart from calling you again to the same dealer.

The warranty claim may have been denied seeing the ‘extra’ things on the car. Not saying they have any adverse impact, but it just gives the OEM an excuse.

The suspension buffer, was it installed by a Ford workshop? I guess the current technicians may not be aware of it, or what it does, and thought maybe this is causing the noise. But, yes, it should have been caught in the test drive.

Better to maintain it at an FNG under your supervision than go to such dealerships. You may have to take out some time from your day when dealing with an FNG, but, one bad experience and you end up spending more time in followups with the company and what not.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 09:58   #7
BHPian

Re: Abysmal experience at Bhavna Ford (Kalina, Mumbai)

I too have Aspire (Diesel, Titanium) bought in the same time period of April 2019 like you.

Till now the Maintenace of the vehicle in madurai service center has been top notch, there was not a single instance which I can mention as negative regarding them. I have moved now to chennai and feeling worried reading your above post.

I hope that your vehicle gets sorted out soon and be in the road munching many more miles.
Thyag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 09:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

As & when a company exits, ethics, growth, trust leaves with them. The remains such as dealers, ASS, is just going to dangle around for a while before falling off the grid. During this phase, it is expected for random trainees to take over the jobs an experienced technician would be required to do.

Looks like this is a job of ignorant technicians doing it for the sake of doing and getting the car out. Let's not even talk about dealerships practice or presence here.

It is best for those who have Ford cars to look at FNGs going forward. It's not that you're safe there either. But, you've direct contacts with most owners running the shop and will have an edge to an extent in getting your issues fixed or addressed.
gururajrv is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 09:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Shocking and pure apathy from the technicians it seems, I'm sure even the higher ups at dealership would be unaware of this. I think you should take the car to the dealership one more time, bang on the GM's door & show him everything. Let him confront the technicians & hold them accountable. This may add more effort to your ordeal but atleast the incompetence will be out in the open.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 10:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi, fellow Figo owner here! Sad to see such treatment from your ASS, coming to the issue in hand, do check antiroll bar which might be the reason for the rubbing noise.

Service here in Chennai has been top-notch even after their exit, I am actually planning to add one more Figo to our garage. Do try a different Ford A.S.S if at all it exists near you. Else try a reputed private garage.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 10:40   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Being fellow Ford owner I can feel you. It’s completely uncalled for, but for greed and unprofessionalism if few heads the name of Ford gets bad. I’ve had few bad experiences myself with Ford service in Hyderabad, luckily my issues were limited to overcharging and almost nothing with technical areas. For issues I have pursued and got things rectified, please read on.
I suggest the following:
1. Send a mail to Ford customer care - custmail@ford.com. Write all details in date wise order.
2. Try to get the dealership people on conference call when Ford calls you.
3. Push your side firmly and ask for clarifications.
4. If above does not work, file a grievance with National Consumer helpline. Attach all relevant documents and write all details.
5. Hopefully 4 will do the trick.
7. Last step file consumer court case.
RunGaDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 10:46   #12
BHPian

My thoughts echo here. Service experience varies from SVC to SVC. I have had a major flood damage done at an SVC far from my place since they were the only ones who deal with insurances. They replaced the entire floor mat - but even the new floor mat had grease stains. When asked about it , they say " you did not want 3M interior cleaning and so we did not do".

On the other end , the SVC next to my place is top notch everytime. Even for a small complaint / free warrantly claim issue , they return the car completely vaccumed , cleaned interior and water washed on outside ; with new floor paper mats laid out.

It really depends on SVC to SVC and to be more precise , even with the advisor themselves being the culprits within an SVC.

Please switch over to a different SVC and move on from next time.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 11:07   #13
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your experience with Bhavna Ford, Kalina. Hope they are able to resolve all your issues in the near future.

I too have had a not so good experience with them. In April 2020 (the 1st phase of Lockdown), my Ecosport started jerking when driven. I had to wait till service centres were allowed to commence operations. Being under RSA, my car was taken on a flat bed truck to Bhavna Ford Kalina. After a couple of days, they informed me that my car is ready for pickup. They had replaced the MAF sensor under warranty. However, when I inspected the car, there were scratches on the bonnet. After much insistence, they admitted that this damage was caused by a loose spare sling while on the flat bed truck and agreed to repaint the bonnet for free.

Another instance was when my daughter took the car to her office in BKC. She called to say that some warning light was displayed. Since I had RSA, I asked them to pick up the car and check it out. They had to take the car out for many test rides to ascertain that the ABS sensor was defective. All fuel burnt at my cost

It seems that getting parts under warranty is difficult with Ford.

However, my experience with Bhavna Ford Turbhe has been good, as also experienced by Maverick5490. Couple of good guys there, who have stayed on. Have given the car mostly to Bhavna Ford Turbhe, and only twice to their Kalina workshop as stated above.

Funny thing with these service centres is that they will call you 1-2 days after your service telling you that you will get a feedback call from the OEM and to give 10/10 rating
rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 11:28   #14
BHPian

Absolutely pathetic experience.

Last week I had given my Ecosport to PPS ford Lalbagh, Blr for the change of the bonnet and front glass. My experience was very seamless with them and while talking to the SA I informed him about good experience I have with them and another Ford centre in Bellary even after Ford's exit. SA spoke of some stringent measures(by Ford) put in place to make sure the customer experience does not suffer due to the exit. PPS also has a call back from a different team to check on the quality of work and rating. Not sure if its Ford's measure or PPS's.

But this experience makes me doubt those measures. Keep us posted on how this turns out.
Poornavakra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 17:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think expecting Ford to respond to these issues would be futile. The company is gone, so are the brighter technicians I guess. The sight of the car looks really bad, I can understand how you feel. Get it to a good FNG and then to a renowned detailing shop. I would suggest you stay around when the works are being done. Hoping this will be resolved at the dealership may not yield any results except more heart breaks. Move on.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks