Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 14:35   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dealer registers Grand Vitara of the wrong colour in my name | Now what?

All I can say is, please double-check the documentation you sign on, don't ever sign on blank forms & do your PDI! Better than the shock you get on delivery day.

Avik drops in the following query via this page!

Quote:
I really need some help from Team-BHP with an issue. I had booked the Grand Vitara Alpha MT 2WD Grandeur Grey from Bhandari Nexa Newtown, Kolkata on 01/08/22. My date for car delivery was 09/11/22, over a month delayed than what was promised. To my utter shock and disbelief, the dealer got a Blue car registered to me instead. I do not want to compromise on the colour. I am at my wits end on how to deal with this. The dealer has assured that they will get me my grey Grand Vitara, but they have no specific timeline. Meanwhile I am paying for insurance and car loan EMIs on a vehicle that I don't even have! Please help. Will also appreciate any help to escalate this with Maruti-Nexa.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dealer registers Grand Vitara of the wrong colour in my name | Now what?

Really doubt that anything can be done if the car has actually been registered in the person’s name. If the OP refuses to take the delivery, that car will effectively become second hand. And even if they work out a compromise and he gets a new car, this one bearing his name will continue to legally be his responsibility. If someone else buys it and doesn’t transfer it, or if the dealership keeps it for its own use and doesn’t transfer it into their name, the OP will end up being liable in case anything happens. Ditto for insurance. Similarly, he is and will continue to be obligated to clear out the loan for this particular car.

Supreme Court rulings are very clear. The person whose name is on the RC will be responsible in case of any liability. Sale deeds or affidavits will have no bearing.

The best course of action here should be for the OP to take the delivery of the car, consider it as a hard lesson learnt. Alternatively, he can consider taking the legal route. But physical possession of the car is a must, for his own safety and peace of mind.

This is exactly why owners should do their PDI before signing off on the registration papers.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th November 2022 at 15:31.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it a mistake in specifying the colour, or do the Engine / Chassis numbers match that on the Blue GV ?

Next steps will depend on this. If only color, then it should be possible to correct it. Else, I dont see any practical way other than living with a car of the wrong color.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't see what the big issue is here. If all the details like Engine & Chassis number, model etc are correct and only the colour is wrong, its a mistake from RTO. The original documentation will have the correct colour mentioned. It's just the question of RTO making the correction and issuing a new RC Card.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 18:47   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
The original documentation will have the correct colour mentioned. It's just the question of RTO making the correction and issuing a new RC Card.
The car is in the wrong colour . Not the RC book.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 19:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is it a mistake in specifying the colour, or do the Engine / Chassis numbers match that on the Blue GV ?

Next steps will depend on this. If only color, then it should be possible to correct it. Else, I dont see any practical way other than living with a car of the wrong color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I don't see what the big issue is here. If all the details like Engine & Chassis number, model etc are correct and only the colour is wrong, its a mistake from RTO. The original documentation will have the correct colour mentioned. It's just the question of RTO making the correction and issuing a new RC Card.
OP wanted a grey car but the dealer registered a blue car on his name. The problem is with the dealer, not RTO. As per RTO, all details must be valid and correct concerning the registered (blue) car.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 19:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All I can say is, please double-check the documentation you sign on, don't ever sign on blank forms & do your PDI! Better than the shock you get on delivery day.

Do you have possession of the vehicle registered in your name?? ie. is it sitting in your garage and the keys are with you.

If not, first I would recommend you get some kind of documentation that the vehicle is not in your possession. I am saying this as you don't want to be in a situation where a vehicle in your name is involved in an accident, any illegal activities etc.

Regrading change of colour, I would say your only option is to wait and hope that the dealer agrees and changes the vehicle.
The Mechanic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 20:25   #8
BHPian

A possibility is it has been intentionally done by the dealer knowing well, once registered there's nothing much the buyer can do. It could be "extra" stock, quick deal completion pressure, invisible damage, anything really. Greedy times! Desperate times! Both ways.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 28th November 2022 at 20:27.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 11:32   #9

The dealer 's stockyard is located in the city outskirts and quite frankly I didn't know that i should have done a pre registration inspection. I was promised a correct colour car by end of November but that is no where in sight. Meanwhile Bhandari Nexa Newtown Kolkata has tried emotional drama as well to pressurise me to take the wrong colour car by sending a teary eyed RM to me who, it seems, may lose his job. I have written to contact@nexaexerience.com as it was the only email id i could find for maruti customer support. I really don't want to file a court case and would like to keep it as the absolute last resort.
avikagarwal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 09:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

All I can say is, the buyer too is equally responsible. There would have been multiple opportunities to check the color during the course of purchase, signing of the registration documents aka form 20 being the most explicit. Since, he would have signed the same before registration, the dealer too will not take full responsibility.

My suggestion is, if the color is not that offensive, he can ask dealer to throw in some goodies and take delivery of the registered car.
vshankarhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 09:45   #11
BHPian

As said the buyer is equally responsible. If it was not possible to personally visit the showroom, then a photograph of the allotted car would have done the job. Now a days where we here so much about dealerships doing mistakes (even though not an intention to cheat but due to sheer negligence) we must be vigilant.

Now what I suggest is, due to the dealership mistake they have a major responsibility of this and if the documents signed were of correct color then dealer has to replace the car with correct color car, but if it’s taking too much time and if the said blue color is not too offensive then just give an option to dealer to throw a good discount and take the delivery.

Anyways if the dealer has to take care of this car it would be treated as 2nd hand and while selling will get a hit of depreciation as preowned. Just ask the dealer to throw in the discount equal to the depreciation amount and take the delivery of the blue car. I’m sure money-wise it would be an attractive proposition and both the parties should be satisfied.
aneesh2M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 10:17   #12
BHPian

While a genuine mistake on part of employees in dealership cannot be ruled out altogether, it is important to note that only a rare customer would purchase a car these days without even a physical look or a photograph. The rare occasion it happened, the unsuspecting customer was in receiving end. This situation is indeed fishy. I suspect, at the minimum this could be a PDI rejected car or a car which someone backed out of purchase at the last moment. The second scenario is not so grave. If it had a defect or damage and the dealership actually intentionally did it ? It is actually a win win situation for the dealership if they can get away with some minimal freebies or discount. And they found a unsuspecting customer for this ?? Serious breach of trust. And the colour is a big deal for most Indians.
Yes, not doing a PDI was a big mistake. No doubt about it. Most if not all, dealership are in hunt for unsuspecting customer to dupe with unsold inventory of whatever reason.

Last edited by d-g-p : 1st December 2022 at 10:19.
d-g-p is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 10:47   #13
BHPian

This seems a very rare mistake or intentional, not sure. But, a car purchase cannot be completed without a physical verification and then signing off the papers for RTO. If one cannot physically visit the yard etc., a photo/video of the car with its VIN # should suffice. I do not know how the buyer has gone ahead and signed everything without any of the above.

Anyways, it is too late and a very complex situation as many have mentioned above. Instead of loosing sleep over the colour ( I know colour is an important factor for many), better continue with the push and get some goodies from the dealer in writing - free maintenance, extended warranty, accessories etc., The dealer, in this case will be glad to accept these demands as they have committed a major mistake, but not sure whether they are going to really give a new car !!

Swami
swami69 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 11:53   #14
BHPian

Don't understand why the OP would like to have a few months of pure misery fighting this out with the dealer or the RTO or the OEM or frankly the infinite number of people involved in this whole fiasco.

It's just a colour man. Get some goodies from the dealer or some free services.
Use the money saved to personalise your car or use it on fuel!

When you are inside a car, you can't tell what colour it is on the outside.
veedub89 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 12:17   #15
BANNED

In my books, color is the lowest priority item. When buying used vehicles, I wanted:

- Navi in White -- got Orange
- Impulse in Orange -- got Red
- Gixxer in White -- got Black with red accents
- Nano in Pink -- got Red

Because if I had to stick with the color preference, I may have had to compromise in other, more important areas.

I'm always more than willing to compromise on the color for everything else. As veedub mentioned, you can try negotiating with the dealer on something else and move on. If I were in your place, I'd not even bother with the negotiation.

I see every situation in one of 2 ways:
1. You get what you want/expect.
Result: Victory. Net positive.
2. You don't get what you expect and maybe lose something.
Result: A lesson for life. Net positive.

It's more important to NOT start the ownership on a negative note. Even if you manage to get the grey color, the memory of the tussle will always stay with you during the ownership.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 1st December 2022 at 12:22.
MaheshY1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks