Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 19:00   #1

Incorrect service history entered in system by Maruti Authorised Service Center

Long Post Alert!

Hi All,

Last week I encountered a very specific issue while trying to sell my ~8 yrs. old Swift. I want to share it with the forum and want guidance from the members on how to tackle it (although I hope it doesn't happen to me or anyone else in the future )

Background:
I own a 2015 Swift VXi, which I bought new from Pratham Motors, Bellandur, Bangalore. I have been the only driver of the car as my wife doesn't drive. Till now, it has been a niggle free experience and the car is a pleasure to drive, saying that I have clocked ~66060 KMs to date and the vehicle is smooth as butter. The vehicle has always been timely serviced in Pratham Maruti(PM), barring a few accessories/ very small repairs in Surakshaa Maruti(SM).

Last month, I finally got the delivery of my XUV 700 and after a month of ownership of XUV, I have now decided to sell my Swift.

Issue:
As I am talking to dealers to sell my Swift, I almost finalized the deal with First Choice. However, at the last step of finalizing the deal, the dealer told me that my odometer is TAMPERED! I was surprised to hear that as it's a self-driven, accident-free vehicle and I can vouch on my life for the same.
After enquiring with dear, he showed me the discrepancies in the odometer readings as mentioned by Pratham Maruti in the service history. The odometer readings according to Maruti's service history are as follows:

1. PM - 14-Aug-2015 - 1st Free Service - Odo Reading (765 KM) - Correct Entry
  2. PM - 05-Dec-2015 - 2nd Free Service - Odo Reading (4759 KM) - Correct Entry
  3. PM - 27-Apr-2016 - 3rd Free Service - Odo Reading (9106 KM) - Correct Entry
  4. PM - 11-May-2017 - 4th Paid Service - Odo Reading (11332 KM) - Correct Entry - I was out of India for most of the year hence vehicle is very less driven.
  5. PM - 02-Mar-2018 - Some minor accessory/ repair costing Rs.1404 - Odo Reading (14000 KM) - Correct Entry
  6. PM - 15-Mar-2018 - 5th Paid Service - Odo Reading (14303 KM) - Correct Entry
  7. SM - 04-Apr-2018 - Some minor accessory/ repair costing Rs.846 - Odo Reading (15416 KM) - Correct Entry
  8. SM - 27-Sep-2018 - Rear bumper replacement due to clips breaking after being touched by a water tanker at EC signal. Only the rear bumper replacement cost Rs.13187 and got covered by insurance. Not a single scratch/damage anywhere else in the car body. - Odo Reading (20414 KM) - Correct Entry
  9. SM - 04-Oct-2018 - Some fitment issues Rs.0 - Odo Reading (20568 KM) - Correct Entry
  10. PM - 15-Nov-2018 - 6th Paid Service - Odo Reading (22753 KM) - Correct Entry
  11. PM - 26-Mar-2019 - 7th Paid Service - Odo Reading (29796 KM) - Correct Entry
  12. PM - 09-Jun-2019 - Some service camp of something at PM. Charged Rs.0 - Odo Reading (32182 KM) - Correct Entry
  13. PM - 04-Oct-2019 - Some minor issue. I think it was related to brakes or something, cost me Rs.6619 - Odo Reading (35162 KM) - Correct Entry
  14. PM - 26-Jun-2020 - 8th Paid Service - Odo Reading (65001 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - This is where the discrepancies start. The first discrepancy in the order.
  15. PM - 22-Nov-2020 - Minor adjustments as I was going to drive to Goa and wanted to make sure that it's in a good shape, cost me Rs.3042 - Odo Reading (85157 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - Second discrepancy in the order. How can I drive 20K in 5 months during covid times when traveling within the city was a challenge?
  16. PM - 19-Dec-2020 - Some minor checks, cost me Rs.0 - Odo Reading (48118 KM) - Correct Entry - Readings are back to normal.
  17. SM - 15-Feb-2021 - Key replacement, I think, cost me Rs.1553 - Odo Reading (49759 KM) - Correct Entry
  18. PM - 02-Aug-2021 - 9th Paid Service - Odo Reading (95600 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - Third discrepancy in the order - To remind you all, this was the time of the deadly 2nd covid wave when the entire country was in lockdown and I was in bed for a month.
  19. SM - 27-Oct-2021 - Some minor work, cost me Rs.776 - Odo Reading (54293 KM) - Correct Entry - Readings are again back to normal.
  20. PM - 31-May-2022 - 10th Paid Service - Odo Reading (105294 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - Fourth discrepancy in the order
  21. PM - 04-Jun-2022 - Was facing some issues after service, which cost me Rs.0 - Odo Reading (58480 KM) - Correct Entry.

Next Steps:
I got in touch in with my service advisor from Pratham and he accepted that it was a mistake from their side and would have happened due to a system error. It sounded very fishy to me as system error can happen once or twice but not 4 times and that too, happening every time at an interval of almost 10000 kms. The service advisor seems like a genuine guy and has always provided me with good service but I suspect that that whole fiasco is created by someone and cannot be a mere system error.

When I asked them to update the service history, I was told that it is not possible, however, they sent me an email stating that the above-mentioned 4 odometer entries in the service history are incorrect and Odometer is not tampered.

Now, the other dealer (First Choice) also backed out from the deal, hence I talked to Pratham to sell it to their 'True Value' franchise. All other dealers I am talking to, are not offering me more than 4.2L, even though I have an email from Pratham to show.

Even after many negotiations, I was not able to achieve the price quoted by FC i.e. 4.5L and the maximum I could get from True Value was 4.35L. I had to take a loss of 15K, just because the service center didn't do their job properly, so sold it to Pratham True Value itself.

Lessons Learnt:
• If you buy a Maruti, don’t get it serviced from Maruti
• Find a 'trusted' 3rd party service center and get all the vehicles serviced there.
• Check the odo reading in the service bills. I always check the parts, costs, etc. but always overlooked the odo reading. I have to be more careful in the future.

(Any other suggestions are welcome)

Questions to the Forum:
I want to know from the forum,
  • Is it common across other service centers as well of the same or different brands?
  • How can we get it changed in case we check that there is a reading mismatch in the service history, after receiving the vehicle back from the service?
  • Any good and trusted 3rd party service centers in Bangalore?

And lastly, isn't it a way that dealers are making sure that they can buy your vehicle at a cost lower than the market from you as you'll be left with no choice but to sell it to them?

Thanks and have a good day!
AB737Max is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 15:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Incorrect service history entered in system by Maruti Authorised Service Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB737Max View Post
Long Post Alert!

Lessons Learnt:
• Find a 'trusted' 3rd party service center and get all the vehicles serviced there.
• Check the odo reading in the service bills. I always check the parts, costs, etc. but always overlooked the odo reading. I have to be more careful in the future.

Questions to the Forum:
  • Is it common across other service centers as well of the same or different brands?
  • How can we get it changed in case we check that there is a reading mismatch in the service history, after receiving the vehicle back from the service?

And lastly, isn't it a way that dealers are making sure that they can buy your vehicle at a cost lower than the market from you as you'll be left with no choice but to sell it to them?

Greetings,

First of all we all buy Maruti because their service is much better than many other brands, atleast in my experience.

I think once the mileage is entered in the system during service we can't change it.

Looks like in your case it's purely manual error. And to your bad luck you overlooked it.

I was offered 1 lakh for my 15 year old SX4 by True Value dealer. Had he told 1.2 lakhs i would have given the keys away.

He then quoted 1 lakh 5 thousand.. I walked off.

The same day I sold the car for 1.45 lakhs to a reputed dealer.

The True Value people are hardwired to under quote.

Nevertheless based on your post, i too shall now check the service history of my 4 year old S Cross.

One question, Was it the same service advisor that took your car in everytime you got it serviced?

Drive Safe.
Old 9th April 2023, 19:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Incorrect service history entered in system by Maruti Authorised Service Center

Doubt if doing service outside in a FNG will give you better resale value than service done at a ASS.

You should have tried selling it privately, which I reckon would have got you a better price than these commercials entities.

And, congrats on your XUV.
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 20:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Something similar happened to our Gypsy. It has done only 1700 Km, MY 2018, lying parked. Since I wanted to give it to a known, I thought of getting it serviced and sent to an Authorised dealership who said that we have changed the reading as the car was serviced at 8000 Km at Pisco Gurgaon in Sep 2020. This is not possible as the Gypsy is parked at Chandigarh ever since the Covid Lockdown. Gypsy was purchased from Pasco only and had a small insurance claim too which is reflected clearly but this service is not at all possible.

I made the complaint online at their portal on Saturday, let's see what they answer.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 10:50   #5

I had same issue with Hyundai for my Creta diesel Car.

I regularly get it serviced at Authorized Service center of Hyundai.
My car had got serviced it around 19800 kms at Laxmi Hyundai Hyderabad and next one around 30000 kms in 2020-2021.

I didnt check initially but when I went for 40000 service in 2022 service executive was mentioning that I didnt get vehicle serviced for 20000kms it would be bad for vehicle.

I was surprised and when asked for service history found that after 19800 kms next entry was made for 20020. As per them I got vehicle serviced within few hundred kms. They accepted the mistake but said it would be not possible to change now.

Based on your exp looks like I need to raise complaint and get it rectified.
kishore2019 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:40   #6
BHPian

Similar issue happened with my old Innova.
During one of the regular service they made a data entry error.
Odo in reading was at 39XXX km and Odo out reading they entered as 93xxx km instead of 39xxx km. Even i didn't notice initially.
But during next service we figured out this error.
The service center cannot correct this error by themselves. They have to send the details to Toyota and they will update the details in the server.
It took almost a week to update this in the server and shared me the screen shot of updated service details in the system.
kavu75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:59   #7
BHPian

From what I have seen of service these days across multiple brands, they are quick to pull out a mobile camera or a tablet of sorts and click all sorts of pictures including the odometer reading. I am sure they would have these images stored against your service in the cloud. Why then is it not possible to fix the error? It is common practice to have a backend IT support team to get bugs fixed. This fix should be as simple as opening a service ticket and getting it fixed.

System error? Only for entry of the odometer reading? To me that sounds strange.
Newtown is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 14:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings,

One question, Was it the same service advisor that took your car in everytime you got it serviced?

Drive Safe.
Yeah. The service advisor was the same every time. He seems like a genuine guy and I never faced any issue with the quality of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Doubt if doing service outside in a FNG will give you better resale value than service done at a ASS.

You should have tried selling it privately, which I reckon would have got you a better price than these commercials entities.

You may be right. Actually selling it outside would have fetched a better price but it comes with the headache of showing vehicle to multiple persons multiple times, which was too much for me

Moreover, anyone who would be buying the car, will check for service history and I don't think the email from the dealership will convince anyone that 4 entries in the service history could be incorrect. Whereas, for Maruti, it will be relatively easier to convince the customer. I strongly believe that its no 'system error' and it has been deliberately put in the service history to make sure that the customer is left with no choice but to sell it back to Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Thanks. It's a fun car to drive

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th April 2023 at 15:00. Reason: Please use the multi-quote option while quoting and replying to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 19th April 2023, 15:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I made the complaint online at their portal on Saturday, let's see what they answer.
So sorry to hear that. Let us know once you receive any response from them.

From what I learned from my case if there are 1-2 incorrect entries and you have mail from the dealership to justify that, chances are that it will not affect your resale value and the customer can be convinced. However, if these entries are more than 2, then it's a challenge to sell.

The baseline is, whenever giving your vehicle for service, mention it explicitly 'to enter the correct service history' and validate the same after receiving the vehicle.

That makes me think, do 2-wheeler companies also do that ? It would be interesting to know that.
AB737Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 15:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore2019 View Post
Based on your exp looks like I need to raise complaint and get it rectified.
Rectified as in, can they change the service history in hyundai? Keen to know, what they are going to do to rectify that.
AB737Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:33   #11

Hi everyone,

I faced the same problem and thought it might help to share this experience here.

Recently bought a pre-owned Tata Harrier from Standard Auto in Adugodi (fantastic experience, and a post on that later), which meant we had to sell our 7 yr old Baleno.

We wanted to go ahead with Cars24 for this, which offered a competitive price. Things were smooth until they pulled out the service history and informed that there's been some meter tampering and this could have an adverse impact on the price. This was a rude shock I was absolutely sure this is wasn't the case, because the car always sent to MASS - Bimal on Old Airport Road.

I went through the detailed history, and here's is what I found:

Until Oct 2021, the odometer readings were recorded correctly. But in March 2022, it jumped to 7k+ kms, whereas the actual travel was less that 500 km.
The trend of wrong readings continued with random and inflated numbers, until the last service in June 2023, where it got magically corrected!

I confronted my usual service advisor on this who admitted it might have been a typo error. Now this was rubbish. Anyway, things escalated quickly and their CS team called back, saying while service history can't be changed,they can give a letter.

This wasn't ideal, because, as someone pointed out in this thread, what's the credibility of the letter for a prospective buyer! But since not much could be done about the service history, it did put Bimal folks on a backfoot. I insisted on a letter that laid the facts down with an apology, and they were ready to give it. In fact, I drafted it the way it was needed, with correct readings recorded for every respective wrong entry based on the vehicle-in forms. Yes, made them go through the files to dig all of them out, and send me the right readings.

Pro-tip - vehicle-in forms are entered manually, so you can actually check what they are entering before you sign off.

The letter came, I used it to negotiate with Cars24 and managed to "almost" get the offer price. I say almost, because it was still down about 2k.

Moral of the story - follow up, push hard and get the story straight ON RECORD.
And when you give the car for service verify the recorded odo readings before clearing the bill.

Hope this helps some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB737Max View Post
Long Post Alert!

Hi All,

Last week I encountered a very specific issue while trying to sell my ~8 yrs. old Swift. I want to share it with the forum and want guidance from the members on how to tackle it (although I hope it doesn't happen to me or anyone else in the future )

Background:
I own a 2015 Swift VXi, which I bought new from Pratham Motors, Bellandur, Bangalore. I have been the only driver of the car as my wife doesn't drive. Till now, it has been a niggle free experience and the car is a pleasure to drive, saying that I have clocked ~66060 KMs to date and the vehicle is smooth as butter. The vehicle has always been timely serviced in Pratham Maruti(PM), barring a few accessories/ very small repairs in Surakshaa Maruti(SM).

Last month, I finally got the delivery of my XUV 700 and after a month of ownership of XUV, I have now decided to sell my Swift.

Issue:
As I am talking to dealers to sell my Swift, I almost finalized the deal with First Choice. However, at the last step of finalizing the deal, the dealer told me that my odometer is TAMPERED! I was surprised to hear that as it's a self-driven, accident-free vehicle and I can vouch on my life for the same.
After enquiring with dear, he showed me the discrepancies in the odometer readings as mentioned by Pratham Maruti in the service history. The odometer readings according to Maruti's service history are as follows:

1. PM - 14-Aug-2015 - 1st Free Service - Odo Reading (765 KM) - Correct Entry
  2. PM - 05-Dec-2015 - 2nd Free Service - Odo Reading (4759 KM) - Correct Entry
  3. PM - 27-Apr-2016 - 3rd Free Service - Odo Reading (9106 KM) - Correct Entry
  4. PM - 11-May-2017 - 4th Paid Service - Odo Reading (11332 KM) - Correct Entry - I was out of India for most of the year hence vehicle is very less driven.
  5. PM - 02-Mar-2018 - Some minor accessory/ repair costing Rs.1404 - Odo Reading (14000 KM) - Correct Entry
  6. PM - 15-Mar-2018 - 5th Paid Service - Odo Reading (14303 KM) - Correct Entry
  7. SM - 04-Apr-2018 - Some minor accessory/ repair costing Rs.846 - Odo Reading (15416 KM) - Correct Entry
  8. SM - 27-Sep-2018 - Rear bumper replacement due to clips breaking after being touched by a water tanker at EC signal. Only the rear bumper replacement cost Rs.13187 and got covered by insurance. Not a single scratch/damage anywhere else in the car body. - Odo Reading (20414 KM) - Correct Entry
  9. SM - 04-Oct-2018 - Some fitment issues Rs.0 - Odo Reading (20568 KM) - Correct Entry
  10. PM - 15-Nov-2018 - 6th Paid Service - Odo Reading (22753 KM) - Correct Entry
  11. PM - 26-Mar-2019 - 7th Paid Service - Odo Reading (29796 KM) - Correct Entry
  12. PM - 09-Jun-2019 - Some service camp of something at PM. Charged Rs.0 - Odo Reading (32182 KM) - Correct Entry
  13. PM - 04-Oct-2019 - Some minor issue. I think it was related to brakes or something, cost me Rs.6619 - Odo Reading (35162 KM) - Correct Entry
  14. PM - 26-Jun-2020 - 8th Paid Service - Odo Reading (65001 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - This is where the discrepancies start. The first discrepancy in the order.
  15. PM - 22-Nov-2020 - Minor adjustments as I was going to drive to Goa and wanted to make sure that it's in a good shape, cost me Rs.3042 - Odo Reading (85157 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - Second discrepancy in the order. How can I drive 20K in 5 months during covid times when traveling within the city was a challenge?
  16. PM - 19-Dec-2020 - Some minor checks, cost me Rs.0 - Odo Reading (48118 KM) - Correct Entry - Readings are back to normal.
  17. SM - 15-Feb-2021 - Key replacement, I think, cost me Rs.1553 - Odo Reading (49759 KM) - Correct Entry
  18. PM - 02-Aug-2021 - 9th Paid Service - Odo Reading (95600 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - Third discrepancy in the order - To remind you all, this was the time of the deadly 2nd covid wave when the entire country was in lockdown and I was in bed for a month.
  19. SM - 27-Oct-2021 - Some minor work, cost me Rs.776 - Odo Reading (54293 KM) - Correct Entry - Readings are again back to normal.
  20. PM - 31-May-2022 - 10th Paid Service - Odo Reading (105294 KM) - INCORRECT Entry - Fourth discrepancy in the order
  21. PM - 04-Jun-2022 - Was facing some issues after service, which cost me Rs.0 - Odo Reading (58480 KM) - Correct Entry.

Next Steps:
I got in touch in with my service advisor from Pratham and he accepted that it was a mistake from their side and would have happened due to a system error. It sounded very fishy to me as system error can happen once or twice but not 4 times and that too, happening every time at an interval of almost 10000 kms. The service advisor seems like a genuine guy and has always provided me with good service but I suspect that that whole fiasco is created by someone and cannot be a mere system error.

When I asked them to update the service history, I was told that it is not possible, however, they sent me an email stating that the above-mentioned 4 odometer entries in the service history are incorrect and Odometer is not tampered.

Now, the other dealer (First Choice) also backed out from the deal, hence I talked to Pratham to sell it to their 'True Value' franchise. All other dealers I am talking to, are not offering me more than 4.2L, even though I have an email from Pratham to show.

Even after many negotiations, I was not able to achieve the price quoted by FC i.e. 4.5L and the maximum I could get from True Value was 4.35L. I had to take a loss of 15K, just because the service center didn't do their job properly, so sold it to Pratham True Value itself.

Lessons Learnt:

Questions to the Forum:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks