Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 17:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wasan Tata-Fiat: Fiat Palio service.

My Palio was due for a service and this time since I was feeling too lazy to drive down to Shaman, I decided to give Wasan in Chembur a try. Called them on tuesday asking for a friday appointment and was given a 12 PM slot which was the first avaliable slot on that day.

I reached outside the dealership at 11.45 am and was greeted by a long line of about 15 vehicles all waiting to get in! There are two buildings, one for Tata-Fiat and one for Ford. I was told by the service advisor later on that the vacant land outside their center was sold to a builder and because of that they were no longer allowed to park their cars on that piece of land. Thus the resulting chaos. However, the Ford service was in the process of being shifted to a new location soon, so the chaos would be temporary.

Finally, I drove into the center at 12.20 PM!! Walked into the reception area and felt like I had walked onto the floor of the BSE in the midst of a crash. Phones were ringing, printers were frantically printing out sheets of paper, job cards were being made, one guy took my service booklet and made out a job card. I was asked to wait for my service advisor who was at that moment making out a job card for the Indica. Fair enough. That gave me a chance to look around and in the midst of the Tata's I could spot two Palio's (One was my own) and a Petra. The advisor was with me in about 10 mins and promptly took the inventory and job to be done. Following was the jobs, I asked him to do:

1.) Paid Service
2.) All fluids change (except Gear oil and Power Steering oil).
3.) Check and replace brake pads if necessary. My car has done approx 53,000kms and is still running on it's original brake pads! There wasn't any problems with braking but still asked them to check the pads out for safety reasons.
4.) Decarbonising of the Engine.
5.) As soon as I turned on the ignition all the three brake lights used to remain on. This electrical problem was to checked out.

The service advisor asked me if I had any more compliants apart from the electrical issue, I didn't. He took a test drive to diagnose any problems with the car. Even he didn't find anything. Saturday was the delivery day.

The next day, it was raining heavily in Mumbai and I was told that due to low attendance from technicians the car would be ready only by Monday. I called them on Monday at 2pm and was told that the car would be ready for delivery by 6pm. Service was done by then and the electrical issue was being investigated. Just as I reached the center at 5.30pm on Monday, my bill was being printed. As I was filling up the feedback form at the cashier, I got a SMS from Tata Motors saying, "Your Palio 1.6 S10 number MH-02-NA-xxxx is ready for delivery after service. Please contact your service advisor at xxxxxx for delivery". Pretty neat. Seems like as soon as the bill is generated the SMS is sent to customers. Seems like a new feature, this wasn't done at the time of my last service at Shaman. So I go and check out my car. It felt wonderful. The engine was smooth, the electrical issue was solved and the washing was first rate! Still, I would wait for a few weeks before giving them good marks since electrical issues have a nasty habit of recurring.

Couple of issues here with Wasan:

1.) Decarbonising was bloody expensive. Wasan charged me Rs. 2,000 . In 2005, Angad charged me Rs. 1,500 and in September 2006, Anuroop charged me Rs. 1,400. I am guessing, dealerships are free to price this product?

2.) My left headlight is fogged up. Wanted to replace it. The part was in stock. I was quoted Rs. 4,000 over the phone. I knew it's BS. In December, Anuroop charged me Rs. 1,547 for the right headlight. Called Shaman and was told it would cost Rs. 1,920 plus labour. I wondered if Wasan had lost it! When I went to take delivery, I was told it would cost Rs. 3,000 for the headlight and about Rs. 175 labour. I told them to go take a walk since Shaman was charging me Rs. 1,920. The service advisor tells me to go with him to spares and he would show the packaging with the amount of Rs. 3000 printed on it. I refused telling him about my conversation with Shaman and also told him at this rate you will lose a lot of business. He calls up the spares and they ask him the model year after which he says it was his mistake as he thought my car was the new one with the levelling mechanism. So according to Wasan, the motorised headlights cost Rs.3000 while the non-motorised ones would cost Rs. 1920. It was 5.30 pm so I told him, I would do it next time. Still, I don't understand how headlights have become more costly over the years. Normally spares prices are reduced. How did Anuroop sell me the headlight at Rs.1547 while the same one now costs Rs. 1920?

3.) The service advisor surprisingly knew about the Grande Punto and Linea models. Said they get a couple of Fiats everyday for service. In his words, "the cars are very good. Only issue is sometimes spares aren't readily avaliable"

4.) Got a chance to see the Palio Stile from close for the first time. The Passat like headlights are mesmerising!

5.) The problem with all Tata-Fiat dealerships is the total absence of anything Fiat. All the posters are of Tata, Service policy notices are of Tata, Fast running spares prices and labour rates are of Tata. This isn't confidence inspiring to a Fiat owner. A Rs. 5 lakh Palio owner will take this but would a Rs. 8 lakh Linea owner be as forgiving? I hope Fiat becomes more visible at the dealerships and both these companies do something about this before their new launches.

6.) I was charged Rs.650 as labour for the paid service. Anuroop and Shaman charge Rs.500.

Finally,

1.) Another good expereince with Fiat service or should I say Tata-Fiat service.
2.) They did a good job with servicing the car. Complaint was understood well by them and from the looks of it they managed to solve the sole issue I had with the Palio.
3.) Even in the midst of all the chaos I was attended to promptly. Seems like there was a method to all the madness at Wasan.
4.) The reception area is pretty basic. If you are the sort that likes nice interiors, stylish decor and a swanky customer lounge, you will be disappointed. BUT, this has to improve. Once again, Indica, Indigo and Palio owners will accept this but not a Linea owner. (Provided he goes for service and not his chauffer)
5.) Specific to Wasan, some of the rates are on the higher side compared to other dealers.
6.) The washing of the car was brilliant! I rate Wasan's washing as the best compared to Angad, Anuroop and Shaman.
7.) An Indica owner (I knew this from the service booklet he had in his hand) was asked to pay up his bill at the cashier and fill in the customer feedback form. Amazingly, he made a big issue about filling up "all these forms". "yeh sab kya hai? "zarrori hai kya?" And then we complain about poor service standards!

Last edited by amit : 31st July 2007 at 17:37.
Old 31st July 2007, 17:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

My brother swears by Wasan Ford - good to see that their Tata-Fiat part of the show works well too!

This bit about sms-ing is probably a Tata trait - I get it each time I give my Safari for servicing
Old 31st July 2007, 17:49   #3
LLL
BHPian

Washing!! was that included in the paid service or did you pay extra for that?

Hyundai Motor Plaza in Delhi never washes my car despite getting it serviced there for last 4 years.
Old 31st July 2007, 17:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

For the indica/go the paid service labor charge(including washing and stuff) is 500rs. I wonder why the amount is higher for Fiats!?
Old 31st July 2007, 18:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Hyundai Motor Plaza in Delhi never washes my car despite getting it serviced there for last 4 years.
That's funny, I used to get my car serviced from them earlier & they always used to wash it pretty nicely. But then it's been 4 years since I haven't been there.
Old 31st July 2007, 18:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Washing is always free at Tata and as I understand Hyundai and even Maruti's do not do it unless asked for. I have heard this complain earlier also but never thought of checking whether this is a regular phenomenon. Will have to ask a few people now.

By the way with Tatas washing seems to be a real big thing as I noted elsewhere. After service their Tata regional cell calls up customers at random and inquire whether everything is ok. Two things at the top of the agenda is always,
* Sir was the washing to your satisfaction? If you even mumble something about being not entirely happy the SS not only gets screwed but they squeal. You get another free wash, and at times a free wash coupon for usage later on.
* Sir, was the bill below the estimate given? Apparently Tata does not like dealerships adding up to the bill in the pretext of doing this and that. So, 99% of the time your final bill will always be less than the estimate given.
Old 31st July 2007, 18:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
So, 99% of the time your final bill will always be less than the estimate given.
Spot on, that's what I've seen so far with the Safari (touch wood & hope it stays that way)!
Old 31st July 2007, 18:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nice review Amit. Glad to know that the Tata-Fiat venture is still doing better than Fiat.

Quote:
* Sir was the washing to your satisfaction? If you even mumble something about being not entirely happy the SS not only gets screwed but they squeal. You get another free wash, and at times a free wash coupon for usage later on.
This is done because the washing contract is given to some contractor who gets his own employees for washing.
Old 31st July 2007, 22:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Washing is always free at Tata and as I understand Hyundai and even Maruti's do not do it unless asked for.
Wow is that true? I thought washing was always free or included in the labour cost for paid service. Washing of the car was always done even by Fiat exclusive dealerships. Both Angad Fiat and Anuroop Fiat washed my car as part of the service.
Old 1st August 2007, 02:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
My Santro got serviced at Advaith Hyundai, Bangalore and was washed without I askig for it (I never knew we have to ask for a wash, though)
All 3 wervices done so far were free service.
Old 6th August 2007, 18:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

An Update on my interaction with Fiat India on the low visiblity of Fiat at Tata-Fiat service centers:

It started off with the thread on the shock pricing for the GP and Linea started by Busa in the Indian automotive scene. I was among the many who weren't convinced about the Tata-Fiat deal especially when it came to service. So I sent an email on the Fiat India website asking them if they planned to open at least a few Fiat exclusive dealerships in India. Got a prompt reply from Jaldeep Virani, Brand Executive - Fiat about that.

Meanwhile, Wasan impressed me with their Fiat service, so I emailed him back with a link to this thread. Got an acknowledgement from him saying that he has gone through this thread and the issue of Fiat's low visiblity at Tata-Fiat service centers will be taken up. I can copy-paste the email if required here.

So all Fiat owners, keep a look out for any improved visiblity of Fiat and we can track if the suggestion has been taken up seriously.

PS: Jaldeep Virani's email is of tata motors though I sent a email through the Fiat India website.

PS1: Asked him about the approximate launch of the GP and Linea and was told that both these cars are on schedule for a "first half of 2008" launch.

Last edited by amit : 6th August 2007 at 18:18.
Old 6th August 2007, 18:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

Here is an update on the washing bit. Earlier in a post I said that I agree that I also heard a few Maruti and Santro fellars telling me that washing is not a part of the free service. However I never thought about it ever. Now I talked to a few others. Its confusing. There are a good few who say that it does not get done unless you ask for it and yet there are many others who are vehement that they always get the wash free.

After talking to these guys and some reflection I feel that the washing part is a loose end at many non-Tata SS. Sometimes they do it sometimes they do not. It seems like lot of people who took a mostly clean car for the 1st service got the car back without a wash. In other cases some were handed back the car as "load factor was high". I have a feeling this could be a gray area and some non-Tata dealerships/SS do cringe on it given half a chance.

By the way, one thing is sure. Tatas wash the car whenever it goes for a service (paid or unpaid) or body work (always paid) and do not bill you separately for it AFAIK. This does not seem to happen with many other cars though. It looks like one pays for the wash separately there.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th August 2007 at 18:37.
Old 6th August 2007, 18:39   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For the indica/go the paid service labor charge(including washing and stuff) is 500rs. I wonder why the amount is higher for Fiats!?
It looks like the rates have been revised. One of our members recently got his Indica serviced. He says the labor is now around 800 bucks and its the same in all the SS here in hyderabad. I got to check this first hand though.
Old 6th August 2007, 18:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

very good review Moral,it really inspires some confidence in me as i plan to take my palio for service at Wasan,Borivli.
Old 6th August 2007, 20:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review there Amit!

Tata-Fiat Service Centres are raising their standards for sure, only hiccup is the volumes they handle thanks to the Indicabs and Sumos!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks