Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2024, 16:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jay Skoda Delhi sells off 2023 car after booking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Was the booking done for a specific VIN number of the vehicle that you had seen and negotiated the price?
The booking form just showed "2023 Ambition Model MT Booked car", as you can see in the pic of the booking page. There was no mention of VIN. But in the discussion (see the whatsapp chat) there was specific mention of a VIN number, and I had gone and examined this very car at the stockyard. I've even tallied the VIN and posted a photo here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Also if I may ask, the insurance and registration cost breakup shared by your sales rep seems pretty low for a car costing 13L. How’s that possible?
The insurance quote was given by the dealer. It seemed reasonable so I didn't even negotiate. The registration is low because its a BH registration, which requires only 2 pct of the ex-showroom price (net of GST) to be paid upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
I don't think the dealer did something illegal or unusual in a business. The goal of business is to generate revenue and profit for its stakeholders, and the money received today is more valuable than the same amount received one month after. Had you paid the full amount and the deal agreement mentions the VIN of a specific car and then the dealer sells that to someone else then there are some legal merit to pursue it. Else think of the other way where customer cancels the booking just before registration. Many of the forum members here will be sued by dealers and all dealers will have a similar thread in team-bhp.
Wise words. But then the booking form (which reads "commitment form" as well) holds no value. And I didn't say the dealer is legally bound to make the sale to me. There was a specific negotiation made for a specific, previous year model car, and even the VIN number was shared in initial discussion. The least one expects is intimation, if the dealer decides to take his business elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
They should have informed you before selling it off or they should have given 2-3 days of time to make a decision before selling it off. End of the day, what they have done is wrong.
Thank you. This is the exact summary of the whole thread. We may get into debate about the legal aspects, but rest assured what these guys did is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespirit27 View Post
This, with the available info, is a clear case of poor business ethics where the customer has been in touch and the dealer has breached on an agreement and in poor taste.
Again perfectly summed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Nope. sorry. I am sure there is a clause that states 'within a reasonable period of time' - which is the biggest grey area in any such agreement. Wont hold water in the court of law.
Sorry to ape you here, but Nope. Sorry. That was the first thing I checked in the agreement, whether there was a clause that allowed the dealer to sell the car elsewhere if the customer did not take delivery within reasonable time. I can reproduce the terms and conditions of the agreement here if you want.
predatorwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 16:28   #17
BHPian

Even when we book a house for rent/sale by paying a token money (booking money). It is only good for a very short time. Otherwise people would book multiple cars and take their own sweet time deciding, specifically if the booking amount is refundable. Only thing dealer did wrong is not asking you before finalising the deal. But I don’t fault the dealer because they probably thought you are shopping around.
cryptarchy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 16:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP - It can be any 2023 model that fits the description with no price guarantee, whatever they ask at the time of invoicing you will need to pay.

A salesman doing his best to meet targets come what may.

As others have suggested , take your business elsewhere or if the dealer is ready to make amends and offer you a discount on a newer car - perhaps that too would work.

In any case - change your booking to an AT just as well, should work better with the 1.0 Turbo, you will keep the car for quite some years anyways. Maybe this is all happening for good, who knows.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 17:09   #19
BHPian

Shocking to read! I dealt with Mr. Mukesh last year for my Slavia lava blue edition. I also got loan through Mr. Malik, but from SBI. The entire buying experience with Jai Auto was fabulous.

I have never seen any car loan taking a month to be processed. Is there something special about financing a BH series car?
sinharishi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 17:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
And its not just this car. Now I'm afraid they'll find an unsold lemon from their National inventory and I'll be repenting the next 4 years. Most of all, the audacity of a sales person to say "You think you can pay 11K and hold a 15L car forever". Maybe I should go ahead with that legal notice.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Looking at the date on the booking slip (23-Mar), I suspect someone came along offering full payment before the financial year end, 31-Mar (whether via a pre-approved loan or cash is immaterial) and the dealer sold it off without a second thought. They might have thought your loan wouldn’t go through and they will be stuck with the car on their books in the new FY.

I am surprised you aren’t even remotely upset with the bank for the delay, but are planning to go legal on the dealer. Personal opinion, not worth the hassle for this kind of an issue. Get your booking amount refunded, find a different dealership and get your car through them. Of course, do check with the bank first about what would it take for them to change the beneficiary, you don’t want to get caught out by their lengthy processes again.

All the best, and hope you find the car you want soon
Dry Ice is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 18:28   #21
BHPian

That car is a stuck capital as far as the car dealer is concerned and it makes business sense for them to make a sale when one is ripe. From their perspective there is no guarantee that the sale (with you) will go through, so nothing wrong from their end on closing the deal with someone else when money is ready.

I don't think they cheated you though they seem to have managed the situation quiet poorly; they could have reached out to you before closing the other deal. My 2 cents, please move on, find another car that will keep you happy for years to come.

Last edited by SR-71 : 21st April 2024 at 18:30.
SR-71 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 19:21   #22
BHPian

Brother I guess it is blessing in disguise. I know you and although your needs have changed, you are still better with soft off-roader like Creta or Seltos, or even Kushaq or Tiguan. Please revisit all options and enjoy the new car buying process. This was quick and abrupt and not rhythmic

Last edited by Wanderers : 21st April 2024 at 19:22.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 21:39   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most of you know I usually side with the customer (at least 80% of the time), but I have to say it this time.....predatorwheelz, the dealer has to move the metal. Inventory has to be fast-moving for any dealership to stay alive and if the sales guy has to choose between someone who can pay for 2023 old inventory "today" versus someone who is waiting for his loan approval since "15 - 30 days", it will always be the former. Dealerships undergo tremendous costs just to maintain the inventory on hand (tens of lakhs of rupees a month in bank loans).

Yes, the dealer should definitely have kept communication clearer and yes, the dealer should have honoured his commitment to you. But the fact is, customers also cancel their 11k booking all the time and the dealer is left holding a 13-lakh rupee bag in the hand when the music stops.

It's the nature of the business. Purely a business transaction. My advice to anyone who really wants & likes such a particular model in the dealer's inventory = pay a larger amount and block it. Move fast. As you rightly said, it seemed to be a clean car at a mouthwatering price; hence, there will be other customers also for it. The dealer was offering such a big discount only to "move the metal".

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2024 at 21:42.
GTO is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 22:51   #24
BHPian

Few Important Words :-

Forgive, Forget & Move-on.

Your time is really not worth teaching others business ethics, morality, etc;

I will consider myself lucky and will move-on to some other dealer or maybe some other car itself, It is beautifully told - A good beginning makes a good ending (sorry can't post the real proverb in Tamil language though in the forum).
Thyag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 23:27   #25
Team-BHP Support

Some businesses might show more courtesy than others, but absolutely none are going to prioritise courtesy over moving inventory, esp. during FY book closing time.

You're absolutely entitled to a pleasant buying experience, and it's unlikely to happen with this dealer now that you've lost trust in them.

Think it over, and decide whether you'd like to deal with them or go somewhere else. You'll keep this car several years, it's not worth starting an ownership experience on a sour note, if it can be avoided.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2024 at 23:29.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 00:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Looking at the date on the booking slip (23-Mar), I suspect someone came along offering full payment before the financial year end, 31-Mar (whether via a pre-approved loan or cash is immaterial) and the dealer sold it off without a second thought. They might have thought your loan wouldn’t go through and they will be stuck with the car on their books in the new FY.
This exactly. Also how I purchased my Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI amid the crazy bookings in the year 2021.
As someone has already mentioned in the thread, "Skoda" and "Ethics" does not go in the same sentence.
What the salesperson did was wrong. But eventually I see small market share brands do the same/similar stuff.

Move on man. Not worth your time and mental effort to go after them. Maybe this is just a warning before you buy a Skoda.

P.S. Getting your Skoda serviced will break your mental peace even more than this.
ankitsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 07:22   #27
BHPian

Why did it take such a long time to get the loan processed? You applied in March, they usually finish it within days to meet their targets. Was there something wrong with your application or the dealer asked PNB people to delay the process after the car has already been passed on to someone else?

I wouldn't expect dealers to hold the car for this car due to year ending and they would be keen to clear old inventory at the earliest. They would think what happens when you don't buy? But in any case, they must have pushed you to make payment and communicated clearly to make it before so and so date(probably before April pricing is announced) or the car will be sold to another person.

What you can do now is try to negotiate for a decent deal on MY24 stock, owing to the situation they have put you in. Or go for another car.
TorquePull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 08:02   #28
BHPian

This doesn’t add up! How on earth a banker’s car loan application at another bank is delayed beyond imagination. I am a banker too and it’s almost impossible for a Scheduled Commercial Bank not to have car loan product for its customers and staff. No banks, whether PSB or private banks take eternity to process simple car loan applications.

Side note, no point going legal and all, may be the dealer would have been told by PNB that sanction conditions couldn’t be met and hence the loan can’t be disbursed or was not sanctioned at all! Hence, the dealer chose to sell it somebody else with actual SL from a bank or cash with them!
MDED is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 09:25   #29
BHPian

The only thing I see lacking here was the communication aspect from the dealer/sales person to the customer.

I have been on the opposite end of something similar when I had booked an Interceptor in 2020 Oct. I was told the minimum waiting time was 2 months. I eventually got a call from the dealer in 2 weeks saying that the exact same colour scheme I had booked was available if I made the payment the very same day.

Upon asking the reason, they mentioned that some customer had booked it and his bike had arrived but his loan process was taking too long. My first question to them was whether they had informed the customer to which they replied in the affirmative and also gave me his name and number so I could confirm directly from him lest I think the bike has some issues and the customer is not taking delivery.

I did a PDI and picked up the bike that day and also appreciated the transparency the dealership showed.
Vikram8891 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 09:52   #30
BHPian

I don’t see any wrong on part of the dealer except for the communication part. The booking form is not a legally binding agreement and both the seller and buyer have the right to cancel the deal at any point of time.

Also, 1 month for a loan to be processed is extremely wrong. It takes 30 minutes to a maximum of a day. Any longer , the bank or the applicant is at fault. Even if the loan is processed, there is no way you could have closed the deal in a reasonable duration. BH formalities take its own sweet time , about 15 to 30 days for everything to be arranged and processed.

Most Viewed