Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2024, 10:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jay Skoda Delhi sells off 2023 car after booking

I was quoting individual replies one by one. Then realized there are 3 general messages that come through:

1. Why did the loan process take so long?

2. The dealer is a business. It has all the right to sell a booked car till you pay full money for it.

3. Move on.

So instead of all the effort, here's my reply to each of them.

1. The loan process took time due to specific documentation asks and delays at my end. Admittedly, the first week (till 31st March) I was bogged down with YE pressures and was glacial to respond. Later it was a to & fro between me, the bank and the dealer's finance guy. Instead of blaming them, I would be appreciative of the way the finance guy managed the coordination and updated me every day.

2. Yes, a dealer has all the right to sell a booked car because I haven't paid full payment on it. Its a business, they need to move inventory, don't expect they'll wait for you yadda yadda. But in any sales process there is something called information. A call would have sufficed, either giving me a deadline to arrange the loan, or just telling me not to go ahead with the loan as they found a cash buyer.

And someone said the dealer may have thought I'm fishing around. That's unlikely, given that their own finance guy was in touch with me daily.

I'll tell you what this was. Firstly the finance guy and sales guy don't talk to each other. Secondly someone higher up just took stock one day and ordered the sales guy to get rid of the car. The sale was completed, booking form be damned. Not illegal (getting tired of this word), but definitely unethical.

3. Yes, move on it is. Not only from the dealer, but also possibly the brand.

Thanks Guys. I don't think there's anything else to be drawn from this exercise. New week, sanction ready, new car to be purchased.
predatorwheelz is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 11:37   #32
BHPian

Consider this:

As we are busy with achieving year/quarter/month end targets, so are the dealers and more so the sales agents who are talking to us.

On a base salary of 50 k, if someone is gonna lose a sales incentive of 5k for the liquidation of a car within a timeline, he will do everything.

Booking is not taken against a particular VIN. A VIN is mapped to a booking.

So both ways except for the way it was communicated, Dealer has done no wrong
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 11:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thanks Guys. I don't think there's anything else to be drawn from this exercise. New week, sanction ready, new car to be purchased.
Great Decision, Move on and Enjoy Life .

If any dealer or manufacturer is reading through this thread, We (Indians) are ok with the niggles, the feature cuts, unprecedented taxes, sudden Government Rules & Changes, Below par After Sale Service, Spare Parts Availability, etc;

All we ask in return for all the headaches we undergo is simply Transperancy. A SMS, a Whatsapp Message or a Simple call will just make life so so easy for everybody!
Thyag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 12:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
My first question to them was whether they had informed the customer to which they replied in the affirmative and also gave me his name and number so I could confirm directly from him lest I think the bike has some issues and the customer is not taking delivery.

I did a PDI and picked up the bike that day and also appreciated the transparency the dealership showed.
With regard to this.. All the sales executives do this all the time.. In such cases, to build trust, they will give the name and numbers of their colleagues.
amritpal2489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 14:49   #35
BHPian

Got a 3 lakh discount on Slavia Style 1.5 DSG MY 23

In my case, the vehicle was sitting at plant inventory. Booked with a token amount of 25k.

The dealer was extra careful before ordering the car since 1.5 is a slow mover according to him. I gave him a green flag after thinking through, especially about the DSG woes.

In smaller towns, loan process typically takes 1-2 days if everything falls in place. Got mine delivered on 21/04. Had booked on 14/04.

Anyway, there are surely other good brands you can go for. Happy shopping!
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 20:19   #36
BHPian

A similar thing happened with my cousin in Chandigarh. Back to the days when the Polo Legend was introduced, my cousin decided to get one and they paid the booking amount. The waiting was not more than 4-5 weeks where we wanted one particular colour (flash red). Chandigarh, Patiala and another city were the same dealership network and all of them had at least one flash red Polo (manual) and thatís what we wanted. Despite paying the booking amount, the salesman and the manager at Chandigarh dealership gave away the car to someone else and then tried to settle us for a Candy white. My cousin and I were ready for a Candy white too but this guy wanted another 11k as the booking amount for the Candy white saying the booking amount is non-transferrable.
This was enough from VW and we decided to give the business to Skoda and got a Kushaq. Got the refund after 3 months from VW Chandigarh after multiple arguments.
Old 25th April 2024, 11:54   #37
BHPian

I see lots of red flags here, beginning with the loan approval taking this long. Luckily, since you have the booking promised for that car to you, selling it off to another person is in bad faith. Lawyering up is a good option since you have proof of booking with the car details included. Don't let them get away with this. Bad faith is becoming commonplace these days as demand is rising and the dealerships are taking undue advantage of this. Take them to court and put it out on social media.
Old 26th April 2024, 14:49   #38

It is very sad to hear this. even I have faced some issues with my car. I have bought a pre-workship VW Jetta. After owning it for a while, I found some mismatches in the body line of the right rear quarter panel and the right rear passenger door. Upon investigating the service record, it was found to be an accidental replacement. They didn't align the panel properly, even though it was repaired in the showroom. and there was no use in arguing with the showroom staff since I was the new owner. I don't know how the previous owner let it go unnoticed while taking delivery. My bad, I also didn't notice it while buying it. I then sought out a reputed third-party service center in my city to fix it. So far, my experience in the native garage is far better than in the showroom. VW Group and their showroom experience are never-ending bitter stories.
Old 27th April 2024, 08:10   #39
BHPian

We actually got our Kushaq from Jay auto Gurgaon and had a very very pleasant and transparent experience. I even referred my sales guy to 2 other people who also ended up with a Kushaq.

The gist of the thread according to me is that OP was at no real fault of his, he was never even informed about the dealer selling the car off. A single notification would have saved so much trouble.

That being said, I also understand the dealer's and sales person's point of view of selling of the car from a previous MY in a hurry. The sales people also have targets which provide them with substantial bonus on top of the incentive per car which they really need to achieve and are only counted once the car is invoiced. We simply got a great deal (best in all over NCR, even checked in the neighbouring states) because the sales person wanted to sell off a slow moving color + variant combo, which incidentally also helped him achieve his monthly target.
Old 27th April 2024, 08:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am not a lawyer, and whatever I studied of the law of contracts in my college Economics degree course is now rusty. But the process of a sale is, when a seller offers to sell something at X price, he is not making an offer but an "invitation to offer". When a buyer agrees for the price, it is the buyer who is making an offer to buy the product at the price. The first party can either accept it or reject the offer. At least that was the gist of it. Please check this out before proceeding legally. If what you signed was a sales agreement mentioning the specific car, that might be a different story.

If I were you, I will not touch that brand itself, forget the dealer, with even a pole. I will move to some other brand. If I can't exceed my budget I will even go with the Ciaz even though it may have some bells and whistles missing. At least the car will be new and not a year old.
Old 27th April 2024, 09:35   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Secondly someone higher up just took stock one day and ordered the sales guy to get rid of the car. The sale was completed, booking form be damned. Not illegal (getting tired of this word), but definitely unethical...
This is the only step that could've been realistically done differently.

A dealer principal can't get into details of each sale. A sale is a sale to them, whoever the end customer is. A courtesy call to you when the 'get rid of this car, stat!' point was reached, would've made a world of difference to how you felt treated, even if the material outcome was the same (car went to someone else who paid up).

There's enough here to piss you off, don't think anyone disagrees. Not enough to pursue this legally though. That is all.

You're spending a fat chunk of hard-earned money, spend it somewhere you feel respected as a customer.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th April 2024 at 16:03. Reason: Typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 02:30   #42
BHPian

The dealer definitely should have buzzed you before going ahead with the sale. Informing you that he cannot wait anymore due to the FY closing is one thing, but quietly selling it off despite the booking sounds like stealth.

Eleven rupees or eleven lakhs does not matter. This incident reeks of poor ethics and bad communication.

Anyway, now that the car's gone for good, if the dealer comes back with alternatives, do make sure to thoroughly inspect the car before consenting to proceed. Still better, take your money and head to another dealership.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 00:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
It took a long time for the loan to get sanctioned. First I was busy with year end pressures, then there were too many issues with documentation. I was in regular touch with PNB and Mr Malik. The latters' attitude was nothing but helpful. He kept taking periodic updates, speaking to PNB and updating me. I kept joking with him "itna delay ho raha hai, kahin gadi bech mat dena aap log". Should have said shubh shubh.
A booking receipt is not a confirmation for a specific variant of the car. Instead, it is just a voucher for the amount you paid. Heck I've seen people book kushaq and buy slavia with the same booking voucher. And as many have pointed out above, the booking is at the sole discretion of the dealership. They can serve what you asked for or refund you and show you the door. There is nothing you can legally do about it. Once you started discussing going legal with a lawyer on this, the cue ends there. The dealership has every right to cut you off because "everything they say can be used against them." Not an ideal strategy.

And come on man. You should've known better. Do you think that you are the only person they offered that blue slavia? The max I've known dealerships hold a car for a specific customer is 1 week. Beyond that if they don't get any communication they just sell it off to whoever is ready to pay. Dealerships have only moral obligation to communicate with you. But not a legal obligation. If you had wanted that car so much, it is your obligation to stay in touch with the dealership everyday. Then again, the dealership owes you nothing except the booking amount.

For all we know, the dealership sold it off to someone for a lesser discount than what they offered you. And that's why the lack of communication. Business right.
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 14:35   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
You should pursue legal action if the booking period was mentioned to be more than one month or, no time limitations in terms of the loan sanction period. They would compensate you. But, why take so much headache? Better not to burn bridges with local dealers, as they are often influential and can cause trouble. Unless, you are equally influential at your place.

By the way, I think it won't be fair to put up a VIN of a vehicle publicly on a forum. It is considered sensitive information about the car. Considering the privacy of new buyer of the vehicle, you should redact/omit the irrelevant details.

Most Viewed