Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2007, 15:46   #1
BHPian

Very Good Experience with Kothari Hyundai (Pune)

I just bought a Getz 1.3 from Kothari Hyundai at Kharadi in Pune. I am fairly impressed with the overall sales experience and the commitment of the sales guy to ensure that not only did everything happen smoothly, but that I was also kept in good humour throughout the process.

Initial Impressions - Score: 10/10

I first walked into the dealership at 3:30 pm on a Sunday afternoon. The security guard told me that the sales office usually closes by 2:00 pm on Sun, but there was one sales man there.

So I went in and found the Sales man "Balli" talking to another client. He noticed me walk in, and immediately montioned for me to sit down saying "Sir, please give me 10 minutes to finish off with this customer". Once he was done, he came over and showed me the new Getz Prime. He didn't have a 1.3 in stock that day, so he requested me to come back after 2-3 days.

It was half past four when I finished talking to him and noted that he was in no hurry to close up and go.

Follow Up - Score: 10/10

After seeing the car at Kothari on Sunday, I went to Sanjay Hyundai on Mon evening as he had a Getz 1.3 available for a TD. Spoke with the Salesman, test drove the car and came home.

Tue morning, I get a call from Kothari, telling me that he has planned for a TD on Wed as promised, and asked me what time I can come. I tell him, that I can't make it till Sat. He says okay and that he will arrange for a TD first thing on Sat morning.

During the week, I get 2-3 calls from Kothari, calling to wish me a "Good day" and confirming that I will be at their showroom first thing in the morning on Sat.

Deal - Score: 8/10

Having visited Sanjay Hyundai, I played dealer against dealer, and finally got a pretty good deal (i think). In addition to 37K discounts, I got a Panasonic Music System (with Pioneer speakers) and matting inside the car.

The music system is basic but good enough for me and I'm very happy with the SQ. More about this in my other post on the Getz 1.3 review, which I'll be putting up shortly.

I was told that there is a waiting period of 2.5-3 weeks after booking. I was okay with that, so I paid a 15K booking amount and left.

Post Booking - Score: 9/10

Now typically, once money has been paid, it is my experience that salesmen loose interest very fast. One day they are sweet talking you, and the next, they put you on hold or transfer you to a drone working in their admin dept.

Anyway, since I was not expecting great service post the booking, I was pleasantly surprised when the salesman called me up twice a week, to update me on the progress of the booking.

To reiterate that point, the salesman called me up everytime. I called him up only once or twice to discuss preferences on the music system.

Delivery Commitment - Score: 11/10

That is not a typo - I rate this as **11**/10.

Since I booked the top-end GLX version, I was told that there is a waiting period of 2.5-3 weeks. 3 weeks from the date of booking was 31-Aug and I told the dealer that this is the drop dead date by which I want the vehicle. He told me that he will try his best, but I should be a bit flexible, say 1 week. I said - nothing doing - its 31-Aug or no delivery.

I was playing hardball, and, I was prepared to wait for up to 4 weeks, as we all know that dealers never delivery on the date they commit, right?

Well, again another pleasant surprise - when the car finally came, it was ready for delivery one day before the committed date. Wow !!

I had asked for a pre-registration inspection of the vehicle, which the dealer agreed to. The vehicle came to his stockyard, and he allowed me to inspect it before he took it for registration. I did not have to travel to any far off stockyard/warehouse.

Financing - Score: 10/10

Nothing much to report here. I got a good finance option, and the dealer worked with the finance guys to get all the paperwork done. All of the paperwork was done at home and I didn't have to run around at all.

No problems so I've given a full score here.

Final Delivery - Score: 8/10

I finally picked up my car on Sat, a day after the committed due date, because I couldn't leave work mid-week to pick up the car.

The car was kept spotlessly clean and ready for delivery. All paperwork was in order. I went through all the papers and compared the Name, engine & chassis no on all documents. (Thanks to Team-BHP for this advice.)

As a policy, every salesman is expected to finish a delivery within 20 mins of the customer arriving. I told the salesman that I had time and wanted to check everything thoroughly, so I didn't care whether it took more than 20 mins.

The dealer gave me a checklist with everything mentioned and asked me to tick on that as each item/point was explained. That way, I didn't miss out on anything.

I was also given a voucher for Rs 150 of fuel at a nearby pump.

With everything in order, I started the car and happily drove out of the dealership.

oh yes, I DIDN'T get a box of sweets - minus 2 points.

Overall - 9 / 10

Most Viewed