Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2007, 12:46   #1
BHPian

Shaman automobiles, Sewri, Mumbai. Theft / stealing in 1st free service

Hi all

Wanted to share my experience so we all learn.

When I gave my car for service, the trunk had a plastic box, with chocolate bars. When I got the car, box was empty. Also, my cell phone hands-free accessory walked away. Surprisingly the umbrella, CDs and a pant were untouched.

Spoke with manager - she said not much could be done. She said I should have given empty car; which I certainly will next time; this was my 1st service. I’m disappointed that pilferage happens even at big shops like Shaman.

Shaman has security checks when mechanics leave. I feel they targeted items that won’t be detected. i.e. eat chocolates and slip-in hands free earphone.

Improvements to the car are noticeable. I requested engine oil/filter change, smoothen 2nd gear shift, and throttle body cleaning (palio 1.6 has common auto acceleration problem)

Initially wasn’t sure if 2nd gear was hard by design. But after service, it is so much smoother. Slips into 2nd without mechanical friction. Very happy I mentioned this. Engine also seems smoother; maybe due to oil change.

They took 1.5 days, gave it in the morning and got back next afternoon. Cost was Rs 867 for oil, filter, throttle cleaning liquid. They charge Rs 100 for car pick-up or drop-off.

Amit
Old 1st October 2007, 13:06   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
When I gave my car for service, the trunk had a plastic box, with chocolate bars. When I got the car, box was empty. Also, my cell phone hands-free accessory walked away. Surprisingly the umbrella, CDs and a pant were untouched.

the cell-phone hands-free accessory is pure theft!!!

but, the chocolate can be forgiven, as it comes under the "Finder's the keep, Loser's the weeper" category.

next time (as you would have learnt by now) leave only your car there. i think the rest of the car accessories will be taken care by the pre-handover inventory listing (i hope they do it like @ Honda).
Old 1st October 2007, 17:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the guy who ate the chocolate had a look and found that the expiry date was the very date the car was give. So he ate the chocolates. Forgive the eatables but the hands-free cannot be given away. Ask for Mr Rajesh at the service dept and tell him about it. He'll help you....hopefully!!
Old 3rd October 2007, 21:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess it varies from workshop to workshop. Usually they do take inventory as the job card is being created but am not too sure whether they take into account EVERYTHING lying in the car. I usually leave loose change in the car 'cos i am too lazy to take it out and always find it where i left it.
Old 3rd October 2007, 22:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I service my Scorpio at Global Gallarie (Thane), where a complete inventory is taken, and every service something is stolen - including the jack. On teh other hand, I have serviced at TVS (Trivandrum), where they don't take an inventory and I come out without any loss.

Looks like most of this theivery happens with knowledge of workshop management. I also found that most of this happens when the car goes in for washing/ cleaning.

Please be careful when you service at Global Gallarie, Thane, too.
Old 3rd October 2007, 22:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Next time around, ask for Mr. Porus at shaman when you're dropping your car.
Almost a month ago, he and another colleague came down to my office (where my car was delivered post service) and cancelled the labour charge of Rs. 1,300 when i explaind to them i wasn't one bit happy about it as the engine bay wasn't upto the mark,
Took a little explaining, but they atleast accepted their fault and took necessary action.

manson.
Old 4th October 2007, 10:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Next time around, ask for Mr. Porus at shaman when you're dropping your car.
Almost a month ago, he and another colleague came down to my office (where my car was delivered post service) and cancelled the labour charge of Rs. 1,300 when i explaind to them i wasn't one bit happy about it as the engine bay wasn't upto the mark,
Took a little explaining, but they atleast accepted their fault and took necessary action.

manson.
Incredible that they did that. Kudos to Shaman.
None [hide]
Old 4th October 2007, 10:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Has happened with me as well. Once some loose change was taken away, which i didnt bother too much about. The next time, a rosary which was hanging on the rear view mirror was nicked. That i didnt like, as the rosary was one which was gifted to us by a relative in Paris.

Made sure i leave nothing behind in the car the next time round.
Old 4th October 2007, 16:03   #9
BANNED

Moral of the story : Make sure that you unload all the valuables when giving the car for service/repair !
Old 4th October 2007, 18:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Usually, the service guys at Electra automotive and Ford Service remove any owner belonging from the car. And they insist on doing this.
Guess,the story is different up north.
Old 4th October 2007, 20:53   #11
BHPian

well even at Shaman Ford they tell you to remove any owner belongings from the car
Old 4th October 2007, 21:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
throttle body cleaning (palio 1.6 has common auto acceleration problem)
Now what is Auto Acceleration problem?
Old 7th October 2007, 10:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Now what is Auto Acceleration problem?
FireBird, I learnt about it on the PalioUsersIndia group
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PalioUsersIndia/

Then I realized that my car had it too.

If you drive a Palio, you've got to join this group. Quality of content is 5stars
Check this doc
Files > All about Fiat Cars > Topics on FIAT CARS for PUG & FCI.zip

Its actually called the Throttle/Accelerator problem.

From the group:

[PROBLEM]
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PalioUsersIndia/message/41414
Hello All,

Sometimes, when i am moving in slow traffic or when i am not pressing the
accelarator, i see the vehicle gets auto accelarated and i have to press brakes
immediately. Have anyone faced like this..What should be the cause of this
issue?

Cheers
Prakash
(Palio 1.2 nV ELX Thunder Black 14000kms 12kmpl 100% AC)

[SOLUTION]
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PalioUsersIndia/message/41426
Re: [PalioUsersIndia] Auto Accelartion in my Palio

Get your throttle body cleaned and get your accelerator wire changed !
Its a common problem!

Also
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PalioUsersIndia/message/16398
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PalioUsersIndia/message/16421

Amit
None [hide]
Old 7th October 2007, 13:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

I just received my Petra back from Shaman (and they have done a good job). I think the guys there were pretty insistent that I remove anything of value - both times the lady rep called me and the supervisor as well. The supervisor, Ravi Redkar gave my car a check before taking it in.

So really, though this is unfortunate, Amit, it should be a lesson learnt. Why?

1. Most of the staff there are 'temps'. The supervisor told me they come there for the experience and then move on.
2. There is a lot of manual labor moving in and out and the cars are parked without being locked. And looking at the surroundings, theft should be expected.

And I guess this is a problem with all/most service stations.

Most Viewed