Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2008, 20:28   #31
BHPian

@backrub
I totally agree with you. No other choice. In some states you cann't source necessary parts outside the dealer so no matter what you have to succumb to the misery after spending a heck lot of money.
I was the first customer of Skoda in eastern India and the same person booked the fabia on the first day of booking started but canceled soon. I bought a dzire instead. Now I don't day MASS service is way better than Skoda but I am still a very happy Maruti Customer because
1. I didn't spend that lot of money this time
2. I do have choice to change the service station if not happy with one.
3. The service quality may not be that great but the bills are not like robbing in daylight ( actually bill part is waaaaaaaay more reasonable) stuff.

Skoda is a good car. But Skoda ownership is not simply worth the pain. So I would say Skoda is a nice car if you get one on company lease, rent, loaner car etc etc but not a thing to own.

I have owned Skoda for almost 7 years and have owned a variety of brands including Mahindra, FIAT, Maruti, Santro, SAAB and I can vouch for what I have said.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:46   #32
BHPian

Another incident for fellow skoda customers
I gave my car for routine service. Cost came to Rs 7500 with semi synthetic oil (they initially used to put fully synthetic (Helix Ultra) after laura launch they used to put mineral (Helix) though I sticked to synthetic but this time didn’t have the patience to fight), diesel filter change and oil dipstick funnel change. Car was running fine. My parents went to our native place (300 KM away) in the same car…we were happy.

Now from next day morning the car refused to get started (had around 10 litres of fuel). From symptoms I heard over the phone from my dad’s driver it seemed to me that there is air in the fuel line. I asked the service advisor, he forwarded to a mechanic who said the same and asked me to release the air from the injector (by loosing the injector nuts and cranking the engine) and when it will show signs of getting started then tighten the nuts again and the problem will be solved. He told he is going for a training on the same day.
Anyway the process didn’t work. So called the service advisor again and he said that the FIP (skoda has a distributor type) has gone bad and not being able to suck diesel from tank. Same was confirmed from other mechanic in the service station. They asked my available option was to tow the car 250 km to there service station by myself and they will fix the FIP for Rs 75000.
I called a local mechanic (was known to my father), with whom I tried to put the main and return pipe of the pump to a diesel can directly and the car started like magic. I called again and asked that as this proved the FIP is ok what can be the problem. They got irritated and said it’s the FIP only.
Anyway then on inspecting the diesel line from tank (by opening rear seats and opening both the pipes and blowing the pipes) we found the problem. They changed the filter but had put the pipes to the filter in opposite way like main to return and return to main. I swapped it and the car started and ran fine.
After searching in the briskoda I realized that they did that mistake but as tank was full so the pump kept sucking through return line itself but when fuel level went low in the tank it started sucking air.
I am sure if I towed my car to there service station I was sure to get a hefty (real hefty) service bill (for a mistake they have done knowingly or unknowingly) which I solved in one hour and spending Rs100 to the old mechanic for helping me out.
Old 30th January 2009, 18:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow. A screwup like that and you almost had a 75K bill on your hands! Scary stuff. :o
Old 30th January 2009, 18:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

@sinhsha, sorry about your experience, especially the latest 75K scare.

Every such thread on Skoda (dis)service makes one cringe.
These dealers seem to be thugs of the first order, fleecing their customers - daylight robbery would be an apt term.

My Dad is a big Skoda fan - he never owned a Skoda, but somehow has great regard for their cars. After reading this and other similar 'Skodacious' threads, I am sure his opinion will change.
Old 30th January 2009, 19:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if things would have been any different if it was a HONDA or some other car in this segment. I say HONDA becos I am quite sure a HONDA dealer is EQUALLY PRONE to come out with such obnoxious claims for replacement etc..

its just that the customer needs to be extra careful all the time.

did you speak to the dealer after you fixed the problem ? what was their reaction ?

why dont you document this and write to SKODA INDIA and see what they have to say about this ?
Old 30th January 2009, 19:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has learnt from indian politicians. They understand that most of the people will not be able to do much so they continue with their ways.Only concern is more and more companies will continue to learn from them. I dont know where we are heading.
Old 30th January 2009, 21:22   #37
BHPian

75K is bomb no matter which car it is, their service quality is not at all up to the standards Skoda must do something about this otherwise they will keep loosing perspective buyers, I wonder why they have a this tag line "Obsessed with quality"
Old 30th January 2009, 22:09   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post

I called a local mechanic (was known to my father), with whom I tried to put the main and return pipe of the pump to a diesel can directly and the car started like magic. I called again and asked that as this proved the FIP is ok what can be the problem. They got irritated and said it’s the FIP only.
Anyway then on inspecting the diesel line from tank (by opening rear seats and opening both the pipes and blowing the pipes) we found the problem. They changed the filter but had put the pipes to the filter in opposite way like main to return and return to main. I swapped it and the car started and ran fine.
After searching in the briskoda I realized that they did that mistake but as tank was full so the pump kept sucking through return line itself but when fuel level went low in the tank it started sucking air.

First of all, hats off to you and your mechanic.
Old 30th January 2009, 22:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

This absolutely and utterly sucks!
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:40   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I doubt if things would have been any different if it was a HONDA or some other car in this segment. I say HONDA becos I am quite sure a HONDA dealer is EQUALLY PRONE to come out with such obnoxious claims for replacement etc..

its just that the customer needs to be extra careful all the time.

did you speak to the dealer after you fixed the problem ? what was their reaction ?

why dont you document this and write to SKODA INDIA and see what they have to say about this ?
I didn't call the skoda dealer after this. I am completely fed up with them.
I forgot to mention one more thing. On my service visit U asked them to change the rear strut buffers. (I didn't include this in the service bill mentioned)Which they did. And the price? Two buffer (rubber dust guards for the strut): Rs 1500.00. And labour charge for the same: Rs 1300. Which you can do for Rs 200 to Rs 400 in any other dealer workshop.
Anyway I have decided not to take my octy ever even to the dealer. I will give it to any good neighbourhood workshop, even roadside mechanics around my places and even would risk anything this approach come with. As they can damage the car out of lack of knowledge but they are sincere hard workers but won't ever take my car to the Jiya auto as they are simply daylight robbers. They damage my car anyway, and apart from that damage my pocket, give me scares, gives lot of attitude and above all gives me a mental trauma by feeling
"Am I really an idiot that I spent Rs 14 lakhs on a thing that keep me loosing money for year after year and also to get into tension trouble, make me loose time which I could spend with family, at work or even playing".
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

sinhsha@ Really sad to hear your story bro. Makes me wonder its as good as 14 lakhs or pure waste how ever good the product might be if the after sales is pathetic.

Sell the car, rather than drive it with a heavy heart. Buy something like a maruti or hyundai who's after sales is good/cheap and near to your place.

230 km for a service,Sheesh. Skoda wakey wakey.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:29   #42
BHPian

Well if you look at Skoda's history its always been a downmarket and crap car company...something like Lada. Just because VW bought it, they are now VWs with a Skoda badge.

They made crap cars and had crap customer service. Under VW the cars are great now(VW), but the philiosophy of the company is still the same. I guess its a status symbol only in India, everywhere else no matter how good the VWs underneath are, Skodas are still looked down upon as old eastern european crap usually bought by pensioners and taxi drivers. Even young people who buy new/old cars at the beginning of their driving lives dont like being seen in Skodas.

I am happy that I successfully managed to convince three people not to buy a Skoda in India.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:40   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
They made crap cars and had crap customer service. Under VW the cars are great now(VW), but the philiosophy of the company is still the same.
After Skoda was bought by VW & VW improved the cars, one of their
early Ad campaigns was something like "It's so good, you won't believe it's a Skoda".
Old 4th February 2009, 20:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
I Two buffer (rubber dust guards for the strut): Rs 1500.00. And labour charge for the same: Rs 1300. Which you can do for Rs 200 to Rs 400 in any other dealer workshop.
Anyway I have decided not to take my octy ever even to the dealer. I will give it to any good neighbourhood workshop, even roadside mechanics around my places and even would risk anything this approach come with.
"Am I really an idiot that I spent Rs 14 lakhs on a thing that keep me loosing money for year after year and also to get into tension trouble, make me loose time which I could spend with family, at work or even playing".
Sinhsha - i understand how you feel. and hope u find a good neighbourhood chap who can handle SKODA cars..

but please do send your experience/comments to SKODA. the biggest mistake a customer can do is to not highlight his frustration to the right people .. do write in to them
Old 5th February 2009, 02:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Sinhsha - i understand how you feel. and hope u find a good neighbourhood chap who can handle SKODA cars..

but please do send your experience/comments to SKODA. the biggest mistake a customer can do is to not highlight his frustration to the right people .. do write in to them
That doesn't work with skoda at all. If you read this thread from starting the problem it was started for was reported through email through phone call to SKODA india customer care, head office and all.
The outcome was a enquiry report from the dealer and nothing to me...not even a sorry letter. I am sure even herohonda would have fixed the service goof up free of cost to me if nothing else. I experienced the same with my CBZ in my earlier days. And they fixed it many time. Here forget the fixing FOC..even a discount...even a sorry letter.

WITH SKODA IT DOESN"T WORK
option is to go to consumer court with my previous problem but hey i have a job to do instead of running after these bafoons.

Thanks all mates for showing the brotherhood and sympathy.

Most Viewed