Team-BHP - Ford Dealer asking for renewal of warranty.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Dealerships (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/)
-   -   Ford Dealer asking for renewal of warranty. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/31926-ford-dealer-asking-renewal-warranty.html)

Hi, Guys,

Ford is calling up from past couple of days to extend the warranty of my vehicle (Ikon-Flair). The warranty is due to expire by Nov end. The warranty which is due to exipre is already with extended warranty (1+2 yrs). The vehicle is 3 years old. The cost of warranty is around Rs.7500/- approx. Now, my query is:

1) Whether to extend the warranty for another year by paying the charges?
2) What all the parts that will be covered under warranty? If mech parts, then it will be of no use as the insurance will take care of the same.

Need your advice.

:Shockked: What ? No replies. Guys do send in your most valuable suggestions. There are already 56 views and no body has replied.

One more thing I would like to add is the warranty covers All electrical/Electronic Parts/Brake Assy/Clutch Assy/Exhaust system/ All the parts for Engine. Hope to receive some feedback.

You know better than we how you have driven and maintained this car and you know whether it is likely to have a problem. That being said, your dealer is in business to make a profit. The odds are with him, Ford, that nothing major will need fixing. If I had a little money in the bank I would not bother with an extended warranty. If I had not maintained the vehicle and had driven it rough and I did not have a good job, I might buy the extension, if I could. Anyway, we have no way of knowing what the warranty covers. Your dealer should make the terms perfectly clear to you. If he does not (In writing!) then do not buy it.

Beware a non-Ford extended warranty. There have been dishonest warranty offerings that stay in business for about one year, take your money and then disappear. If you want to buy then make sure it is from a reputable company.

i dont know if you can extend the waranty after the waranty is already extended.in that case if we go on extendingthe waranty then what will happen to the service centre.how will they survive.
may be off topic -i met a guy yesterday who was telling me a discount of 40000 rs for lic employees and an amnt of 12000 if paid before delivery the ford guys will take care of all maintenence for 4 yrs for free.
any body have news on it

Is this being offered by Ford, or some one else through the dealer ?

If you are going to take it up, pls make sure that you have not done anything to void the warranty - like getting your servicing done outside.

How long are you planning to keep the car with you ? If you think you will have the car for as long as this extended wty will last, and you have not done anything to lose the wty, you could take it up. Things can start to break as the car gets older, and it would be good to have coverage if you can .

This warranty covers All electrical/Electronic Parts/Brake Assy/Clutch Assy/Exhaust system/ All the parts for Engine. The dealer is Metro Ford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 641239)
This warranty covers All electrical/Electronic Parts/Brake Assy/Clutch Assy/Exhaust system/ All the parts for Engine. The dealer is Metro Ford.

Go through the fine print & go for it, if its covering all of the above without any **** s attached to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 641239)
The dealer is Metro Ford.

So it is not from Ford, but from the dealer ?

While it sounds very lucrative let me tell you it is not as simple to claim this warranty where required. Recently I had to claim the extended warranty on my Tata. The warranty is actually an insurance taken against your car for such eventualities. Tata does it through United India Assurance.

They first try to pull all the tricks to dissuade you from claiming. Basically, they will try to tell you about breakdown in parts which are not covered. Then if you persist they will come to the actual parts which will have to changed but will insist that this not covered under warranty. If you make a fight out of it only then they will "try" for the claim.

They will start a minute scrutiny of everything. Whether the car was serviced at regular intervals is a big issue with them. Endorsements on your service book won't do, they ask for the actual invoices from the day you purchased the car. One invoice missing means its immediately rejected. If your car was serviced outside of the authorised service network the warranty is again void. If everything is ok on those points they will try to prove that the breakdown happened under extraneous conditions. Things like clutch assy and such stuffs are easily rejected because they always claim that your driving was faulty.

Now all the above happens in case of the regular extended warranty. In your case it looks like the second extension. Frankly speaking I am skeptical of it. I have never heard of anything like this. This must be a dealer initiative. Be very wary... and since its Metro you should be doubly so. Chances of a murky deal is pretty bright. See if their definition of what gets covered and what is not is defined in a crystal clear way. In other words things should not have been defined in a way that leaves things to interpretation. Check whether every part in the car that is "covered" is actually covered irrespective of anything else? It should not happened that any part is limited by a kms warranty. In other words if your clutch fails they should not be able to say that it has run for more than 25k kms and hence not covered. In an old car most parts won't beat the km restriction (except for those parts which anyhow last the lifetime or so and hence have been given generous dose of km warranty).

I think that should give you an idea of things to look at. Remember, for Rs.7500 most regular part replacements can be done by your neighborhood garage walla. You just need to get the original parts which again can be procured at a good rate from the authorized parts and accessories vendors. Chances of a major breakdown are very remote. But then that is what you take an insurance for (which the extended warranty is). So you weigh and decide.