Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 11:38   #31
BHPian

Narayan,

What you have said is correct? The dealer had promised a new Santro for them. In Addition to the new Santro, they had also booked a new Verna. Now since they had this bad experience, they have cancelled the booking of the Verna done with Popular Hyundai.
Old 27th December 2007, 13:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
did the damages happen during transit? if thats the case and if manufacturers have a policy not to take back such cars then maybe there is a case to pin the manufacturer

else if its a case of just an unscruplous dealer who repaired a car that was probably damaged at his end - why blame the manufacturer for it..

nevertheless it should be brought to their attention

from your post, with the kind of problems your friend reported like ac not working and steering heavy, it looks like a major front end collision the car would have undergone which i think is a bit unlikely in transit given the fact that cars are transported in enclosed containers

I agree with Narayan. There can be no major damage during transit. I guess the damage must have happened when they transfer the car from or to the godown. The way these mechanics handle the car, looks like they are the next Schumacher

After that the dealer must have repaired it and sold it. These guys need to be beaten black and blue by the customer.

Consumer court is where they need to be dragged.
Old 27th December 2007, 13:35   #33
BHPian

The news came in today's Hindu Newspaper also.

The Hindu : Kerala / Thiruvananthapuram News : Damaged car: family to seek legal action against dealer

At the end of this news, the dealer has given his version of the story and it seems to be ridiculous. Anyone who have experience to inspect a car (especially a mechanic) can easily find out that the car was involved in an accident.

Obviously the car would have gone through a number of people for the PDI. So a clerical mistake will not go unnoticed when you have the physical stuff in front of you.

This is ridiculous!!!
Old 27th December 2007, 16:59   #34
BANNED

RIght now, I am reading the link to the article on THe Hindu.

I suppose that the owner (Dr. Pillai) will be reading this. Here are some of my suggestions to him.

1. have the vehicle surveyed by a qualified insurance surveyor from a good and reputed firm. (Look up the yellow pages or ask some friend/ relative in any insurance company for details).

2. Ask them to survey and photograph the car.

3. The individual doing this should have a graduation in engineering. (this is essential).

4. Make sure that the surveyor has the background info about the incident.

5. Use the info and surveyor's report as evidence in proceedings.

It is extremely likely that this is not the first time the dealer is facing this kind of thing; but for the customer. this sure the first (and hopefully only) time.

I suggest the survey because of the report about rust around the key holes. This happens when the original doors were damaged severely, so that instead of heavy tinkering, the door itself was replaced and painting was done at the dealer's end.

An unqualified but knowledgeable mechanic may be able to get more authentic info about damage and repairs done to the car, but it is qualified surveyor's word which is going to carry weight in a court.

Please emphasise to the surveyor that what you want is not a financial estimation of damages, but confirmation and description of the nature of repairs, replacement, and patchwork done to the work.

Here is something that people on this forum and those working for auto manufacturers can help you with. Every component that goes into a car carried a unique identification. Thus, for example, a manufacturer has authentic records that given the ID of (example) a wiper blade, he can trace out the wiper blade to a vehicle with engine number NNNNN and chassis number MMMMM. In the consumer proceedings, get the company (Hyundai) to cough up this info (they will of course, deny that they maintain such records, and that is where people on this forum will help you) and get it cross checked with the actual components on the car.

A competent lawyer will also advice you on how to get the the insurance company (which indemnified the dealer for the repairs done to the car) to provide info on the claim. This can however, be done only through a court of law.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:36   #35
BHPian

Guys i just received a mail from my colleague, the pictures of the job card with details on the work carried out in this vehicle. I am not sure about its authenticity. Am i allowed to post them here ?
Old 27th December 2007, 17:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Every component that goes into a car carried a unique identification. Thus, for example, a manufacturer has authentic records that given the ID of (example) a wiper blade, he can trace out the wiper blade to a vehicle with engine number NNNNN and chassis number MMMMM. In the consumer proceedings, get the company (Hyundai) to cough up this info (they will of course, deny that they maintain such records, and that is where people on this forum will help you) and get it cross checked with the actual components on the car.
Much as I (and others as well) would love this to be so unfortunately 99% of the companies in India (any company, not only car makers) actually do not maintain such granular record. The best of them can just map that unique ID of the wiper blade and then check their inventory to find out the vendor and the delivery date. Then they can roughly tie it down to the batch of the cars which had these blades. Thats about as far their systems go today. They will not be able to tell you the exact car which had that blade in it.

This is why you see that when Maruti (or any other manufacturer) discovers that their XYZ model of cars made in a particular year had a problem with their lower arms (or any other part) and they want to replace them free of cost they issue a general adv that says if your car's year of make is so and so and has a VIN starting with so or so then please bring it in for inspection. That is because they manage to tie the defective lot to a particular batch range however they are not sure of the exact cars which had those defective parts.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:00   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
.... then check their inventory to find out the vendor and the delivery date. Then they can roughly tie it down to the batch of the cars which had these blades. Thats about as far their systems go today. They will not be able to tell you the exact car which had that blade in it.
I this still serves our purpose. Once a part ID and the vehicle lot can are matched, if the particular vehicle contains parts not from the lot of components which went into the particular lot of the cars, our case becomes very strong.

Of course, the dealer can claim that the parts were replaced by the customer. Which is why the survey is important. And they the dealer can always claim that the car was not sold by them.

<anecdote>
It is early days of liberalisation, and manufacturing is still not free of the shackles. It is the era when the Bajaj RE auto is in high demand, and the waiting period is 1 to 1.5 years. The dealer in question is of course, the dealer for the rick too. One fine morning, yours truly is present in the consumer court and listens to this conversation.

PETITIONER:- Sir, I booked a RE rick from this dealer, and my priority number is N. They delivered a rick to a guy with PN N+ 50 or so; but not to me. After they received notice of this proceedings from this court, they have delivered the vehicles. The court may atleast grant me costs of this proceedings, since I live at ($Some_Corner_in_Far_end_of_the_State), and filed this case here coz. the dealership has office only in this ($Port_City).

LAWYERFORDEALER:- Cases like this have already come up before this court. Your honour is aware of the kind of pressure we face from politicians and the kinds of trouble they can give us if we do not oblige ..... (the sentence is incomplete).

TheCourt:- (utter silence). (Folds up the file, scribbles something, and says dismissed).

2 hours later, I ask the court officer what the actual order is. I am told that the case is dismissed, and not even costs are awarded.

Edit:-
Moral of the story:-

If the customer has been offered a better (defect free) variant, he may be better off accepting it, instead of raising a ruckus.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 27th December 2007 at 18:03.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:01   #38
BHPian

Last edited by surajs : 27th December 2007 at 18:05.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturer Is Untouchable

Hai,

From my experience with accidents; manufacturer is usually untouchable.

Experience One: A colleauge of mine was delivered his new Ikon 1.6 from Ford Showroom to our office, the driver of the dealer banged it up, F R two doors damaged pretty badly. My friend and me wrote to Ford / dealer for a replacement, sent a lawyer notice (lawyer told us its useless, only the dealer will hang). We wanted replacement of car; we had to settle for replacement of doors, complete repair etc. we got screwed-up in the bargain, lost of lots of precious time. This was clear negliance of the dealer, Ford washed their hand off the issue and directed us to the dealer.

My Fusion had problems with the 2nd gear, complained to Ford for a replacement of car (high hopes). They showed me all the documents, manuals which said only replacement, nowhere you would find a clause for replacement for car. At last they kept the car for 1 week and replaced it with a brand new gear box. I wrote for damages and taxi fare, with great difficulty and after a lawyer notice, they gave me taxi fare @ Rs.1000/- for 5 days. Unless you push you will get pushed over by these guys.

So if its demonstrably manufacturer's fault, like ger box, engine, structures etc., you have chance for replacement but no way a replacement with a car.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
============
Old 27th December 2007, 18:35   #40
Team-BHP Support

Here i think the dealer is at fault and they have to issue a replacement.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

popular hyundai is already not having a good name in TRIVANDRUM,as far as SERVICE is concerned.
I hear that they have shoddy mechanics and quality of service not upto the mark
Old 27th December 2007, 18:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is the funniest thing I have read in the last few days.Quote from the article.

Quote:
Dealer’s version

When contacted, the manager of the car-dealer said “it happened due to clerical error as the person assigned for allotment of the car was on leave. The lady who was in the seat was new to the job.”

The car was damaged in transit and we had kept it in the yard. It was marked as damaged in the register, but it could not be blocked in the system. As the customer insisted on delivery on Saturday itself, the lady allotted the car,” he added.
How can a damaged car be alloted to a customer ? If a car is damaged am sure their register and database is updated simultaneously.Aint it ?

Duhh what crap !! I think this dealer should go back to school and learning the basics of lying 1st.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Pity. This dealership belongs to a group with a long history in the automobile and parts business, with a reputation that manufacturers would die for.

I guess thats history now.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who told u this?
Quote:
I have it from an authoritative source that manufacturers do not replace vehicles damaged in transit. How then would they replace a registered vehicle?
I meant to say, once a car before delivery meets with a accident, the dealer can inform the company and get a replacement to deliver to the buyer. The vehicle which has met with a accident is send back to the company and the company claim insurance on it.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I meant to say, once a car before delivery meets with a accident, the dealer can inform the company and get a replacement to deliver to the buyer. The vehicle which has met with a accident is send back to the company and the company claim insurance on it.
Can you substantiate this? Do you know a dealer who confirmed this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks