Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2007, 11:15   #1
BHPian

Shocking News about Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum

Hi all,

A colleague of mine bought a new Santro Xing from Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum to find out on the same day that the car given to them had met with an accident some months back and it has been repaired and given to them as a brand new car.

They found the accident repair documents in the car and when they checked the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on the document with that of their vehicle, it was the same.

The vehicle was having all sorts of problem like A/c not working, Steering was heavy etc etc.

This news came in Indian Express and the paper says that the dealership could be cancelled.

They had also booked one Verna and they have issued stop payment. Now they are not to buy any more Hyundai vehicles.

God alone knows how many people would have been cheated out right like this??

My colleague wants to know how to take it forward. So please pass on your valuable suggestions for the same.
Old 26th December 2007, 11:34   #2
BHPian

Thats ridiculous!i think this is not the first time a similar issue has been reported in the state.There was an issue with another dealer of a different make and apparently they sorted it out between the customer and themselves.
Old 26th December 2007, 11:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'd seen the news in the New Indian Express the other day. Pretty shocking. Customers Beware. We should do our own detailed PDI before taking delivery.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:01   #4
BHPian

I think your friend sue them with proof.Take it to consumer court.Ask for new car +compensation.

I think in India this morons don't respect customers.
They think it is there right to cheat customers
Old 26th December 2007, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I've been told that it is commonplace for dealers to repair and sell cars that are damaged in transit because the manufacturer does not take them back. I wont be surprised if this is the case with your friend too.

So the question is - is it the dealer's fault or the manufacturer's? I would think it is the manufacturer's because they are AWARE that a car has been damaged in transit, are AWARE that the dealer will try to sell it, and they are obviously more CAPABLE of absorbing the loss of a vehicle damaged in transit than the dealer.

And at the end of the day, by refusing to take back a car damaged in transit the manufacturer is passively encouraging the dealer to repair and sell.

Cancelling the dealership only makes the manufacturer look like a saint, when they are as much to blame.

Sue Hyundai.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2007, 12:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

On the same note, there was a press release recently regarding Mandovi Motors. They sold a 2004 or 2005 Wagon R this year to an unsuspecting customer. Dont badger me for the details as I dont have the link or newspaper handy.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
On the same note, there was a press release recently regarding Mandovi Motors. They sold a 2004 or 2005 Wagon R this year to an unsuspecting customer. Dont badger me for the details as I dont have the link or newspaper handy.

Wagon R 2007 looks quite different when compared to a pre 2005 car.
even the rear seats were changed from split to single.

Do the paying public have any idea what they are paying for?
Old 26th December 2007, 13:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Firstly If this news is already in Newspaper then that means that your colleague has already taken thing forward. If the news is related but not same then I would suggest that he should try to gain out of this by threatening the dealership & work out a huge Discount or May be get free a Brand new piece as compensation
Old 26th December 2007, 13:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Steeroid.. more than Popular motors.. Sue the company as they have to make sure dealerships sell quality products and provide quality service.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
I agree with Steeroid.. more than Popular motors.. Sue the company as they have to make sure dealerships sell quality products and provide quality service.
I also agree with steer and any way its the duty of the company to Manage their dealers, we buy a company product whoever the dealer maybe.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

did the damages happen during transit? if thats the case and if manufacturers have a policy not to take back such cars then maybe there is a case to pin the manufacturer

else if its a case of just an unscruplous dealer who repaired a car that was probably damaged at his end - why blame the manufacturer for it..

nevertheless it should be brought to their attention

from your post, with the kind of problems your friend reported like ac not working and steering heavy, it looks like a major front end collision the car would have undergone which i think is a bit unlikely in transit given the fact that cars are transported in enclosed containers
Old 26th December 2007, 14:30   #12
BHPian

Re : Shocking News about Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum

Anyway the dealer wont tell the truth. But somehow through slip of the tongue, it came out that the car had crashed into a divider and then rolled over. So it was not probably during transit.

The accident repair document shows that they replaced two doors, changed the lower arm, removed engine to replace the engine sump, replaced silencer, replaced fender, replaced rear and front bumper etc.

All this proves beyond doubt that the car had hit something like a divider and then rolled over.

What kind of people do we have among us who dont care a penny for their customers - leave alone the finish of the car but even the safety of the people who use these vehicles. What a shame on us???
Old 26th December 2007, 14:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
else if its a case of just an unscruplous dealer who repaired a car that was probably damaged at his end - why blame the manufacturer for it..

Possible, but then the customer is buying a Hyundai product, not a Popular Motors product. The dealer is the manufacturer's retail arm.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

AC not working and steering heavy, etc are never caused by any type of transit! As said by Narayan, they are transported in enclosed containers. (That is, unless the container did a 'wheelie' which caused all the cars to pile at the back!!!)

This seems to be purely due to a major front collision. Pity what a person has to pay and then go thru!
Old 26th December 2007, 16:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
The accident repair document shows that they replaced two doors, changed the lower arm, removed engine to replace the engine sump, replaced silencer, replaced fender, replaced rear and front bumper etc.

All this proves beyond doubt that the car had hit something like a divider and then rolled over.
What a shame.

It is obviuos from the accident repair document that this is not transit damage. I think it is entirely the dealer's fault. They either crashed the car while driving it from the stockyard to the showroom, or, even worse, gave it out for a TD and the crash happened.

Either way, I believe your friend must settle for nothing less than a brand new car + compensation. Even better would be to take the money back + compensation and go for another car - different brand or at least different dealer.

Cheers,

Rajan

Most Viewed