Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 11:52   #16
BHPian

This post is a surprise. I am amazed at how superstitious we Indians are. The person is going through all that trouble just for the sake of a number.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:54   #17
BHPian

I just clarified little more with my friends. I was not present during all the conversations so i didn't know the finer details. As per them they had asked for the RTO office where it will be registered and the current running series and gave 3 full numbers in the format TN 07 xx xxxx to the sales person and told him that they want the full set like that.

Seems the sales person told in front of the GM "Sorry you asked for AQ is it i thought it is AR. It went to a different RTO office for registration contrary to the one I told earlier". That is the main reason they have taken it upon them to fix this issue. Otherwise they could easily ignore the claim and wash their hands off!

Actually it would have helped if my friends have gone to the RTO. Buying their first car they didn't understand the other factors involved as much as they understood numerology i think. I am warning them not to go for a number change!
Old 7th January 2008, 11:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
This post is a surprise. I am amazed at how superstitious we Indians are. The person is going through all that trouble just for the sake of a number.
True man. And more so who will want to do something against his wife's wish!
Old 7th January 2008, 12:00   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thank God I dont believe in any of this number theory.
All i care is that a smaller number is better than a 4 digit number, and my dealer was kind enough to get me a 2 digit registration number for no extra cost.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:06   #20
BHPian

These days dealerships have turned out to be very obliging to retain the customer. The option HotChillyPepper could be fine except at the time of sale when the car belongs to the second owner.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
esteem_lover, I am not sure if that is the case. I was also thinking for example 07, 09 could be different RTO office and each of them will have their own running series similar to AR or AQ. But if you see my car is registered with 07 but a different A<x> series from Tiruvanimyur RTO. But in this case it was registered at Mandaveli RTO with same 07 but a different A<x> series. So AQ and AR could be running at different RTO offices if we can call Tiruvanmiyur and Mandaveli offices as different RTOs.
AFAIK, chennai RTOs are divided as per directions. So you just have RTO (South) - thats thiruvanmayur etc, RTO Central - thats got egmore etc and so on. However, the RTO has different codes for the kind of registration. so for company registered vehicles in Chennai Central RTO - it is TN- 04 xx-xxxx, whereas for private registered vehicles (individuals) its TN-01-xx-xxxx, and so on.

Personally- the dealer has gone out of the way to get the numbers. I would also strongly urge against changing the numbers.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Seems the sales person told in front of the GM "Sorry you asked for AQ is it i thought it is AR. It went to a different RTO office for registration contrary to the one I told earlier". That is the main reason they have taken it upon them to fix this issue. Otherwise they could easily ignore the claim and wash their hands off!
LC, i agree there are 2 different RTOs for TN 07 one which starts from AA(Thiruvanmiyur) & another that starts from AZ (Mandaiveli) and counts down until they meet. But AQ & AR are not from different RTOs. Assuming they were, your address would be falling in only one particular RTO, he cannot determine where he wants to go unless he is giving a fake address which is definitley not the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
so for company registered vehicles in Chennai Central RTO - it is TN- 04 xx-xxxx, whereas for private registered vehicles (individuals) its TN-01-xx-xxxx, and so on.
He he he, very funny.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!
Ur friend needs to stay on the terra ferme. Calculating the 4 digits in the registration is enough. If he's calculating alphabets et all,then he should also total the numbers/digits in the chassis number and engine number.And should find a vehicle with the permutation of all these totaling to 7.
I frankly think this is a bit far fetched.
8 is a number which is void by the RTO legally and they only count the 4 digits in the regn number.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Whoa!
8 is a number which is void by the RTO legally and they only count the 4 digits in the regn number.
You are right. I still remember my cousin who explicitly asked for a number that totalled 8 just because it resulted in a total of 1 when all the numbers including that alphabets were added. For this, he was not asked to pay anything extra but was asked to give a letter citing his request and to state clearly that he was ok with a number that totalled 8.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Whoa!
If he's calculating alphabets et all,then he should also total the numbers/digits in the chassis number and engine number.And should find a vehicle with the permutation of all these totaling to 7.
I frankly think this is a bit far fetched.
Maybe he is not aware about chasis and engine numbers! Its interesting to see the beliefs people have on things like numerology etc. This is kinda the same as some people who go about changing their name, like adding extra letters like "a" or something else to their names to make "numerologically" correct.

There seems to have been a bit of miscommunication, the sales person probably thought about only the last 4 numbers (what the normal people ask for) while doing the registration.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:50   #26
BHPian

They got the number changed!!! Would not be ideal to disclose more I guess!
Old 21st February 2008, 19:40   #27
BANNED

Ah. now we can merge this with the "Illegal activities thread"??

Just joking.
Old 21st February 2008, 20:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I know a guy who has to live with an utterly mangled spelling of his otherwise very good name because of his mother's 'belief' in numerology.

OK, so perhaps I should have more respect for someone's belief, but, sorry I don't. I'm with Sush on this one.

What would have been good is if the sales guy had completely understood the reasoning --- then with an increase in the letters of 1, he could have requested a decrease of 1 in one of the numbers.

I am very happy that my number, given all its parts, includes a 4, a 3, a 7, a5 and a 9. They are not in that order, but still can remind me of carnatic music theory. Just chance.

And even if one does believe in numerology, isn't it better to leave these things to chance? How about instructing the doctor to perform a ceasarian on a specific day to get a specific number for the child?

--- just my meaningless waffle
Old 21st February 2008, 20:53   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How about instructing the doctor to perform a ceasarian on a specific day to get a specific number for the child?

FYI, this already happens. This is cited as one of the reasons for the unusually large number C.Sections in maternity wards of hospitals in Kerala.
Old 21st February 2008, 21:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
FYI, this already happens. This is cited as one of the reasons for the unusually large number C.Sections in maternity wards of hospitals in Kerala.

there are some people who go over-board with this time thign, ceasarian at the given time so that the kid is born on and said star. but there are cases where the time has moved up / down due to complexity ease and then the whole exercise is a waste!

Most Viewed