Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 21:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
They got the number changed!!! Would not be ideal to disclose more I guess!
To be very honest, I am not at all surprised. In all probability, the number they alloted in error in the first place has just been dumped and buried. I have exactly had the same experience with RTO (West) a couple of years ago.
Old 21st February 2008, 21:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
FYI, this already happens. This is cited as one of the reasons for the unusually large number C.Sections in maternity wards of hospitals in Kerala.
Uhhh.... I had a feeling as I was typing that post.

Sad, but not surprising, to hear that it was right .
Old 21st February 2008, 21:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
This post is a surprise. I am amazed at how superstitious we Indians are. The person is going through all that trouble just for the sake of a number.

I am surprised that the dealer looked for options for no fault of his. Truly customer oriented!!
Old 23rd February 2008, 22:33   #34
BHPian

Its not only Indians, even other Asians and people in the west are superstitious. The Americans dont have 13th floor! Its 12th and then 14th! Er isnt that the same? You know it amazes me. We may try and beat nature by using Numerology, Astrology, Feng Shui etc etc but it all boil downs to destiny. Your friend knew his 'lucky' number but since mother nature didn't want to give him that she 'fixed' things. Its a power you cant just win against! You get whats in store for you. Sure you can try and do the best using metaphysics but nothing will happen if its not meant to be.Only good karma can help! And kudos to the dealer to try and help. I imagine he must be dealing with this on a daily basis atleast! Good karma!!
Old 14th March 2008, 14:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
....and wrong engine number mentioned in the RC! The problem continues...
All for a number!
Old 14th March 2008, 15:18   #36
Team-BHP Support

This numerology stuff is serious business, many sane people I know have done insane stuff when it comes to numerology. Now computers have made this voodoo science even more complex.

Since the alphanumeric numbers are computer generated, you have to consider many extra parameters.
  • Is the place value 0-based or 1-based?
  • Should you start the count at A or the from the beginning of the ASCII table. If ASCII, are we assuming upper case or lower case values?
  • Should the counting be done in binary, decimal or hexadecimal?
  • Should all the numbers be added, ORed, ANDed or XORed?

The implications of these extra variables are yet to be studied, classified and digested. Just like any other science, there are many unknowns here.

Since I think our understanding of computer generated numerology is so primitive, my meddling with the number may alter the course set for me by the all knowing entity for the worse. You have all heard the saying "Jatete Japan, pahunch gaye chin". If god has dealt me a 4 on the dice and I change it to 5 without a clue as to the result, what exactly am I gaining. So I always leave it to chance and hope for the best.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:27   #37
BHPian

A bit OT but I would like to know where all the things with the uncluky number 8 and the automotive registration started. Anyone knows any reason??

Whew.. so much trouble for a number. He spent so much money and still was unhappy because of a number.. and that too the total of the alphabets and the numbers. I really pity the car dealers. A car number is just for it's identification and dont know why people make so much fuss out of it. I agree a fancy number looks cool

And I think RTO are no longer holding back numbers totalling to 8. I'm not sure though.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Interesting analysis using numerology/astrology , using vehicle registration numbers :

Vedic numerology - Case Study Binu Motors

They have linked "astrological beneficence of various primary root numbers for the individual's birth-chart" to the primary root numbers of the vehicle registration.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 14th March 2008 at 16:20. Reason: Additional info
Old 14th March 2008, 16:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
....and wrong engine number mentioned in the RC! The problem continues...
All for a number!
Aha, that explains how they were able to get the number changed .
Old 14th March 2008, 16:28   #40
Team-BHP Support

What I heard about the number 8 is this

Its a cycle.
So this number will keep you going round and round and your problems will never end.

The only other cyclic number is a 0 but since it cannot be the resultant sum it does not matter.
Old 14th March 2008, 17:25   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Interesting analysis using numerology/astrology , using vehicle registration numbers :

Vedic numerology - Case Study Binu Motors
Excellent example of adding scientific touch by providing emperical proof. Now let them do it for 1000 more randomly selected taxi companies and then consolidate the results.
Old 14th March 2008, 17:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What I heard about the number 8 is this

Its a cycle.
So this number will keep you going round and round and your problems will never end.

The only other cyclic number is a 0 but since it cannot be the resultant sum it does not matter.
How did 8 get associated with problems?? What if 8 represents a good time?? they you can have good time on and on and it will never end

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks