Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 09:33   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pumps Issuing PUC Certificates for Diesel Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Wonder if any centre in Bombay offers such testing facilities.
Same holds true for Pune. Very few centers follow correct procedures before giving PUC certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
AFAIK, they attach a probe in the tail pipe to check the emission.
Exhaust probes is the norm in various centers across Pune. Few ask to vary rpm during testing, but many just test at idle alone. I am yet to experience PUC center that deploys temp. probe and rpm sensor in Pune.
Old 19th October 2022, 07:40   #77
BHPian

Reviving this old thread. Let me share my recent experience with Diesel car PUC.

Couple of days back, I went to get my PUC in the test centre at COCO pump on the ITPL road, Bangalore.

Google Link: https://goo.gl/maps/uwTSbKGYy579V8cM6

One person attended the car first. I was asked to park it front facing the test booth. They connected two wires directly to the Battery. Nothing connected to tail pipe. This person came with a mobile phone showing some readings and started stomping on the accelerator. It will revv the engine hard and then idle, keep doing this for about 10 times. I started to get annoyed and started asking questions. This person goes and bring another person and he does the same thing for about 5 times. Then they go into the booth, does to the terminal something. I think they restarted something. Again this revving continues for about 5 or 6 times. Just about when I was going to ask him to stop and forget about the PUC, he said it is done and printed a PUC. I am left puzzled. How can they measure anything with just battery probes? What is the real process of checking emission in diesel cars? I always owned petrol cars so far and test was always done with probe inserting to tail pipe. This all seems to puzzling to me. If anyone has any clue, please share. I will also read some other threads in team bhp to see if any other information available.

Do you have any recommended places for diesel car PUC?

cheers and thanks for your response.
Ranger747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 08:25   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
How can they measure anything with just battery probes? What is the real process of checking emission in diesel cars? I always owned petrol cars so far and test was always done with probe inserting to tail pipe. This all seems to puzzling to me. If anyone has any clue, please share.
I think this guy followed some improper process. Even for diesel cars, there is a probe inserted in the tail pipe. I have got PUC for my 320d several times in South Bangalore, and each time there was a probe inserted in the tail pipe.

In addition to that probe, some centers measure and record engine RPM along with the emission values, using other probes. I think technically this is the required process, though not all follow this.

But yes, the tail pipe probe is a minimum thing for any emission testing.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 09:21   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
Reviving this old thread. Let me share my recent experience with Diesel car PUC.
I have done for both petrol and diesel multiple times. Each time for petrol cars, it is tailpipe connection. Each time for diesel cars, exactly the same process that you have described. So don't bother. Just keep the certificate.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th October 2022 at 09:31. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks