Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 15:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

You should escalate this to Maruthi.

The electrical shops in towns of Kerala would be closed early and I can relate to your situation. The only remedy is to carry spare bulbs.

I agree that maintaining 80 kmph on our poorly lit highways without high beam is unsafe.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:20   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
MODS & Team members, this is slightly off topic, but need some clarification on behalf of a friend of mine.

Swift VDi - on 1st service at 850kms is being charged INR 3k in Andheri Mumbai.

The cost is being distributed between engine oil change, engine & gear additive and basic interior wet cleaning.

I have been a Tata loyalist and felt this tantamounts to day-light robbery.

Given the majority of Swift users in this forum and the topic reading maruti service....am hoping for some help / assistance here.
Hi Sriknath, the 1st service for my VDI cost me 600odd bucks. Basicall included the engine oil change.

Dont think maruti recommends gear oil and engine oil additives at this early stage.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:23   #33
BHPian

Thanx Eddy,

It surprised me too, but i just needed a confirmation.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hi Sriknath, the 1st service for my VDI cost me 600odd bucks. Basicall included the engine oil change.

Dont think maruti recommends gear oil and engine oil additives at this early stage.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Yes, the customer succumbed to the marketing efforts of the service advisor.When I was a newbie, I had fallen into their trap.

I experience the same in Hyundai aswell frequently. Sir, engine additive, decarbonising, underbody treatment, shampoo washing.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2008 at 17:35.
svsantosh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th March 2008, 15:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
High beam should not be used when a vehicle is coming in the opposite direction.
On dual carriageways you should not use high beam when behind a vehicle.
Even in the west, at night most people are on high beams, and when they approach you, they dip their lights, and you dip yours.
Spot on. Thats the way to do it. One of the most ignored rule I have noticed is the one I have highlighted.

But I dont think this debate should be about when to switch to low beam or high beam. I burnt a lot of retinas yesterday because the low beam on my car wasnt working. To minimise that, I drove a lot slower to maintain the distance between my car and the vehicle in the front.

The question is whether it can be considered a "breakdown" or not if one of the beams go off. If I were Maruti A.S.S, a call to the helpline about a half-working headlight would be lower down on my priority list of cars to attend to, compared to say, a vehicle that cant be started or whatever.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@kuttapan, Tiruvalla to Ernakulam, via Kottayam and Ettumanoor, good 3 -4 hours on the road and you did not locate a single auto electricians' shop to buy bulbs?? Awww!!! And, did you notice that your user manual has a list of MASS and whatever kind of authorised shops towards the later half of the book.

About the incident at Sarathi, you cannot expect the receptionist at the neuro surgeon's office to attend to a dental cavity when the dentist is out, do you?
That was nice backseat driver.
As backseatdriver mentioned why you went in for A.S.S when you had many local auto electric shops available in between Thiruvalla to Ernakulam and please dont blame maruti after sales service for such a silly matter.you could have rectified this problem by any local auto electric workshop and atleast you had low beam working.Maruti A.S.S service is the best in the country and forgive them for this.
Cheers
Old 24th March 2008, 15:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@SupremeBaleno and others who think using High beam on highway is a crime - All I can say is, you guys hardly do any driving at night on highways, or drive very slow. Or have superhuman eyesight and some kind of glare resistance built into your retinas. Or all of these. Me, I am an ordinary guy, fairly good eyesight(no glasses) who drives somewhat fast(wrong side of 80 most of the time). I need the 100/90 watts and I am mostly on high beam.
Well...i don't have a certificate on night driving. But i have done 1000s of kms of night driving and still do. I'm a safe driver (touchwood) but no slow coach. I don't have superhuman eyesight / glare resistance and NOBODY has....and that's the same reason why i'm mostly on low beam and flip to high beam when needed.

I just hope that you don't blind me when we happen to pass each other.

I have no intention of hi-jacking this thread either....

-- Torqy

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th March 2008 at 18:30.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
By 11.30, I had a car with proper lights, though it was 60/55W, the burnt bulbs were of 100/90W.
So logically, the intensity of the high beams from the replacement bulbs were lower than the intensity of low beams from the old bulbs with non working high beam? Is it just me who thinks you were probably better off with the old bulbs?
Old 24th March 2008, 16:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
High beam should not be used when a vehicle is coming in the opposite direction. On dual carriageways you should not use high beam when behind a vehicle.
If people using hi-beams always follow these 2 rules, no one has a problem, but that is not what is observed, leading to blinding other users head-on or via the RVMs.

But then given the traffic on our highways, to adhere to these rules, you would need to be flicking the switch every now and then (when a vehicle is either coming towards you or is in front of you), which I am not sure people remember to do or care to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I really doubt your claims
Your calculations are on the assumption that the highway is pitch dark and I am the only driver on the road, which is not usually the case most of the times. We are most of the times aided from lights from other vehicles too.
Old 24th March 2008, 17:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Some of you guys live in a model world.

Me, I live in India. And I have learnt over the years - When in Rome , do as Romans do.

I used to drive the way you guys advocate. After being blinded time and again, I decided to get the 100/90 lights and play it their way. And that is how it is going to be, for me.

@Torqy - As I said, you be nice to me, I will be nice to you too. cheers:

@stablerock - I figues Maruti *** would be able to help me better. And then it became too late to hunt for local electrical shops. I figured my best option was to go and fit the bulbs I knew were with my friend, rather than drive super slow to find a shop which may or may not be able to fix my issue.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th March 2008 at 18:31.
Old 25th March 2008, 14:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
So logically, the intensity of the high beams from the replacement bulbs were lower than the intensity of low beams from the old bulbs with non working high beam? Is it just me who thinks you were probably better off with the old bulbs?
This sounds quite logical to me.

Kuttapan , Please can you clarify
Old 25th March 2008, 17:40   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But then given the traffic on our highways, to adhere to these rules, you would need to be flicking the switch every now and then (when a vehicle is either coming towards you or is in front of you), which I am not sure people remember to do or care to do.
Biju, i stick to high beams on the highways and DILIGENTLY go to low beam when a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction. I dont think that requires so much of an effort. If the other person doesnt reciprocate in kind, then i switch back to high beam, and turn on the fog lamps as well, since 'The more, the merrier' is the mantra which many on the highways believe in.

I stand by what kuttapan has said regarding the use/need of high beams for highway driving. Having just driven back from Kerala to Bangalore about 2 days back, i can very well relate to the difficulties which one faces during the journey. Its not just other drivers who are the culprits, at times even the road just vanishes by way of some diversion, with no proper signs informing one of the same. Hence the absolute need for high beams.
Old 25th March 2008, 17:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
Biju, i stick to high beams on the highways and DILIGENTLY go to low beam when a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction. I dont think that requires so much of an effort.
That's a good practice, but you/kuttapan seem to be a minority on our roads, from my experience.

My observation : I am driving low-beam, see an approaching vehicle with hi-beam, with no idea of switching to lo-beam. If I flick my light, most of them dip their lights, but some still come on with hi-beam. So, the onus seems to be on me to remind them to dip their lights, which I don't think should be the case.
Old 25th March 2008, 18:01   #45
Team-BHP Support

Same here i use high beam on highways, i move to low beam when ever there is on coming traffic, even if it is a 2 wheeler.

I usually do flash if the other guy is on high beams, if he responds good and will stay in low, otherwise to hell with it and i just pull the lever to flash all 4 filaments!!

I have saved myself umpteen no of times since i was driving with high beam, otherwise you wont see that goat, dog, people, trucks without tail lights, humps etc etc.

This is india my dear friends, without high beams anything over 40 kmph on a highway is asking for trouble, yeah in some part of city also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks