Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 10:23   #1
BHPian

issues with fiat

i bought fiat palio 1.2 nv on 22 june 2007 fron Hind Motors (Tata - Fiat) at Chandigarh. the car was offered at a discounted price because of the launch of Stile and it had already clocked 398 kms on the speedomemter (actually it had done around 1000 kms as the speedometer wire was disconnected and the sales guy also acknowledged it).

the car supports the badge of november 2006.

i am facing issues with the car right from the date of delivery. to my surprise a pre delivery inspection was not carried and some of the key components were missing from the car. The relay switch for high - low beam was missing and i got it installed ther next of delivery. the reason that Hind motors sighted was that "Fiat forgot to put it in and such glitches are acceptable from Fiat" (funny isn't it)

i was given only one original key and after repeated requests and reminders Hind motors didn't budge. i got in touch with Fiat at Pune and requested them to ask Anbros Motors (ex Fiat dealer but now offering service for Fiat cars at Chandigarh) to take up my case since Hind Motors didn't have a trained staff and the diagnostic equipment in working condition (ECU examiner). you would be surprised to know that Hind Motors didn't even have the fuel filters for fiat cars.

Anyways, what followed was a series of critical parts failure and n number of visits to the workshop. a list is appended below for the jobs done on my car with less than a year of purchase:
  1. lock set replaced
  2. fuel pump replaced
  3. water pump replaced
  4. front wheel bearing replaced
  5. front seats are due for replacement (making creeky sounds and have loosened up beyond repair)
  6. there is an oil leak from the engine top
  7. the engine makes a 'chi chi chi chi' sound consistently
  8. air cinditioner grill replaced (it had loosened up)
  9. drop in lileage (7 - 9 kmpl)
  10. paint is chipping off and some parts have started to gather rust
  11. the silencer is making a'furr furr' sound
  12. the rubber tubes under the bonnet has started to crack
  13. the coolant keeps leaking from differnt places/joints
  14. alternator bearings changed
another issue is when i start my car it sounds like a diesel version and palio nv petrol is supposed to be silent. Also, there are vibrations in the car.

last SATURDAY i spoke to the customer service manager and asked him to either relace my car or have my money refunded. i told him that i have been visiting the worksop (which is a good 20 kms away rom my office and home) more often than my office. such problems should not be there in a car which is less than a year old and has clocked 13750 kms till date.

guys i seek your advice in this matter. shoul i take legal advice and get my money refunded or car replaced?

please help!!
Old 20th May 2008, 10:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

i cannot understand bro when you know that the car was driven 1000 km before delivery why did you bought it first place

you know how people test drive the TD cars

pm me i think i may be able to help you out

Last edited by manikjeet : 20th May 2008 at 10:49.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:09   #3
BHPian

manikjeet - have sent you a PM

thanks for the help!!
Old 20th May 2008, 11:32   #4
BHPian

sorry to hear this kapil.

generally there are production cars which are meant for demo's only. these production cars are not fully equipped with all features, e.g there would be indicators but w/o bulbs and wiring harness, missing switches etc..

these cars are also not assembled on a proper factory assembly line, but are hand built offcourse using the same parts which would be used at the assembly line.

One of my friend's does reports/tests on the latest 4x4's launched in the market and recently he was testing a 4x4 where we were absolutely SHOCKED to see the performance.. this car completely collapsed at one place- front axle broke including ring and pinion, transfer case damaged, rear both axle's broken, this was a major failure of the car and most importantly everything broke at the same time same place.

Later we were informed that it was a production car and not an actual product for sale.

This might not be happening in india and hence pl dont consider that you might have a prod car. I narrated only a incidence which happened recently.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:56   #5
BHPian

Td Car

Dude, you got yourself a TD car.

When I TD before purchasing my 1.6 Sport, I took it on a under construction road and ripped it off to the maximum, to check the endurance and rattling etc.

I'm sure a lot of people would've done that in your car.

Try and consult a Consumer Grievance lawyer and ask for his advise. please don't sit quite and take all this nonsense. s***w the dealer a big time.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Who would go for a demo car knowing how people drive a demo car? Regardless of the discount you should not have gone for this. It is all but known, that you will end up with a un-reliable piece!

Unfortunate that these things are happening to you, but then, I guess you brought this on to yourself!

Hope you are able to get things sorted out. Best of luck.
Old 24th May 2008, 18:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its clear from your post that you are given a Test Drive ( also popularly known as demo ) car.

I wonder why you even went on to take delivery of this vehicle.
You must now get a new vehicle or entire money refunded.

Looks like FIAT india is ready to lost whatever customers ( very less in numbers ) are planning to buy FIAT products.
Old 24th May 2008, 18:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Your only option is consumer court. Don't expect that TATA-FIAT will refund you anything unless there is a court order to do so.
Old 24th May 2008, 20:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Your only option is consumer court. Don't expect that TATA-FIAT will refund you anything unless there is a court order to do so.
Even if the court orders, you might have to wait for a few months, if they claim they gotta get the $$$ from Italy
(Like the spares)
Old 24th May 2008, 20:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Looks like FIAT india is ready to lost whatever customers ( very less in numbers ) are planning to buy FIAT products.
I don't see how it's the companies fault. This seems more like a dealer issue. Probably not with a 100% dealer issue because the customer knew he what he was getting into and still decided to take the risk because of the substantial discount he was getting.

Why should Fiat pay for anything or give a brand new car. To be fair, I think the dealer should be penalised and asked to give a brand new car plus compensation to the customer. Dealer should also pay the cost of the car to Fiat.
Old 28th May 2008, 19:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I don't see how it's the companies fault. This seems more like a dealer issue. Probably not with a 100% dealer issue because the customer knew he what he was getting into and still decided to take the risk because of the substantial discount he was getting.

Why should Fiat pay for anything or give a brand new car. To be fair, I think the dealer should be penalised and asked to give a brand new car plus compensation to the customer. Dealer should also pay the cost of the car to Fiat.
My mistake upto some extent.
But the end result is that the customer is at loss and is at the receiving end of the bad treatment. So at the end of the day, the customer will not be satisfied with the company.
My personal bad experience is with Bajaj. Although bajaj bike best satisfied my needs, I went in for Suzuki Zeus.

You are correct on your part that dealer should be the one to pay, but then my reference by the quoted statement is that evenutally and ultimately they will lose FIAT customer.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:33   #12
BHPian

what ails Fiat India more: poor products or dismal service.

to all Fiat fans: tell me if I am wrong.
I love fiat cars, give me a Palio any day and id drive it for the pleasure it offers, they sure tug some special strings in your heart, but whether I want to buy one, i doubt it. I guess its the same with many. else Fiat wouldnt fare this bad. agreed Fiat cars are over engineered and indestructible, and have the best ride and handling, this apart, everything else in them is less than ordianary. Fiat somehow has not understood the Indian customer well, their cars are not packaged well, either over packaged or under packaged. They dont stike a balance. I mean look, the palio and/ or petra came with a powerfull engine but a gas guzzler, and a grossly underpowered engine which though good wasnt enough. what if both power and mileage was required, no, you have to compromise. though they make the best engines in the world and outsource some, Im sure they have high tech technology at their disposal to produce small efficient motors. take for instance the Interiors, there are niggling electrical issues, teething problems with dash vibration or nuts falling off. or low quality plastics. why cant they balance it out by giving attention to all details than over engineering somethings and ignoring others as crucial. they have their basics right. brilliant handling and chasis, and Fiat has access to the best QC and technology. owners of premium cars Ferrari, maserati, I blame fiat for the poor products they offer. Honestly if Fiat came with brilliant cars in all respects, I mean engines, Interiors, QC, comfort, handling, steering, reliability... but had dismal service support I'd still go and buy one. Driving it would make me forget the pain at the service center and if quality assured, there will be fewer problems in the fisrt place. But with its product range you have to compromise with everything else just for driving pleasure. If two things get right, five things go wrong.
However with the Linea Fiat tries to strike the right cord. linea carries the best interiors in a Fiat, (sorry even puntos interior plastics and design isnt great), great chasis, decent power trains, and chiselled exterior.
Is it their cost cutting tactics or the govt legislations that compromise their products. I read somewhere that the Jazz and Punto are simillarly priced in Europe (please correct me if wrong). If thats so, by providing lower quality is Fiat trying to shadow its own brilliance. sort of pushing substandard products.
If providing quality costs Fiat, Fiat should pass it to the customer, and assure high QC (quality control), not negative QC (quality compromise).
undercutting quality does not mean value especially when competition has multiple aces. People appreciate a quality product, see Honda. Honda charges a premium and still has loyal followers. Even the hatchback market has expanded to offer products costing 7+ lacs.
Fiats hatchbacks if it gets little expensive (only justifiable increase) wont make any difference to the buyer, either ways it does not attract an economy buyer, Fiats at any price will always have its true fans because true fans value not the price but its core values and driving dynamics. It will not just retain but multiply its fan base.
Its not surprising to see which car the sales guy points at when you walk into the TATA showroom. Fiat is a scrapegoat. (not that I dislike TATA, I am proud of them, but Fiat does not get due credit) They say same engine and everything for TATA and when asked bout service they say, we even service Fiat cars which means TATA is superior is all respects.
Fiat has technology power, why dont Fiat introduce high tech engines earlier, how is it Maruti launched it first.
Fiat has all solutions in its backyard, depends whether they want to market an excellent car with all basics right (engine, chasis, interior design & quality, comfort, steering, handling) or compromised car. Providing fancy features does not increase value unless basics are right.
Fiat, I think its a will issue not a skill issue. I hope Fiat is listening and have answers ready.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:06   #13
BANNED

@s_pphilip, your thread on Fiat is giving 'free' advice to Fiat management. Any management consultant would charge hefty fee for the same thing.

No point hushing these under the carpet & keeping quite. Unless we make noise, the management won't hear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks