Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2008, 01:21   #1

Sunroof / Water leaking problem in 2007 Optra 1.6 LT Royale

Hey Guys
I bought my Optra royale 1.6 LT only because of GM fitted sunroofs (they did look swanky) last august from national garage (mahalaxmi) and today I am truly disgusted... n its Friday evening so thought I all share my story. Odo is just 3400 KM (second free service due) and daily commute from khar to shantakruz and back.

Just after Mumbai dreaded rains started pouring in last Friday morning I found my car co passenger and left rear compartment drenched in water. Yeah...the water accumulation was 4-6 inches. Had shock of my life. But like a scientist the next thought was “It has to be me and the bloody window". I was convinced that I had not rolled the window completely last night. Took towels / sponge and started pulling water out. The ordeal ended an hour n half later and I felt better with revised appearance of my car. Ran the heater for an hour or so...felt even better.

Hoped the sun come out (which of course it dint ) or else was thinking to take it to service center next day for faster drying. And yes. I double checked all the windows before calling it a day.

Next day morning - Opened..Shocked. Same amount of water (it did rain last night). A careful inspection revealed that water is coming in from the roof-linings just beneath A pillar (in other words just above the front co-passenger window). I simply could not believe it...I had paid almost 6 digits for this car and this is what GM had throwed in...

I waited till it rained again and took my handycam to take live "leaking" video. This I thought is for safety and also evidence (if I decide to take to courts)

took it to garage immediately. The guys were prompt enough to respond and they said it’s indeed a product complaint, they will have some one from GM see it and they will do it under warranty. Then we also discovered that sunroof frame assembly has a visible rust-in, which was surprise number 2.

Guys... its 9 months old car with just 3400 on ODO...

I demanded a temp replacement vehicle which they dint entertain and said can only be provided from coming Friday (today).
I also demanded (from GM engineer) that my warranty to be extended (since I do not know what kind of problem this vehicle may throw later, if this is how it performed before 1 st anniversary), they refused ( i was pissed and hence adamant) and that’s were things started getting sour.

Next day i receive a mail claiming that " Only partial water leakage was from the ‘A Pillar’" and the reason they say is blocked water galleries of the sun roof, due to accumulation of dust and other particles in them". They did say they will do it under warranty" . However, the mail further says "a majority of water was also leaking in the passenger compartment due to the non fitment of rubber grommet of the left fender due to the extra fitment of the stereo amplifier ". This view was “repeated” by GM engineer as well. And from there the "warranty" changed to ":goodwill gesture".

The interesting part is – a) the potential point do not have a visible hole and b) also it is vertical (90*) c) Covered by front left fender anyway. I simply failed to understand how rain water will come in (unless some one removes the fender, aims at the wiring point with high pressure water).

What has also changed is their version from “Water can come in” to “majority of water has come in” from the one mail to another. I have posted the pic of the discussion point also for you experts to understand and advice.

My video clearly shows that water is leaking from the top pretty severely and that they say is “minor” reason for leakage. Guys will update the video and provide the link by tomorrow. You decide.

They have refused to offer any additional warranty, I dint had a car entire this week, I have a car today without mats (it will take 1 week), and I can’t quantify the agony during the week.

I feel cheated (more so due to their counter arguments) and seriously contemplating legal GM with damages (doing my home work now). I do wonder if buying an Optra was a good idea, I could have spent my money well.

Any body with a similar experience / advices / remarks..Let it come...

Will upload video tomorrow...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunroof / Water leaking problem in 2007 Optra 1.6 LT Royale-iphone-021_small.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th June 2008 at 01:48. Reason: Moved to the appropriate section
swayam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2008, 02:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Water just cannot enter through that hole into the main component until you fender is not in place
Even if it does, it cannot be much
It has to be the sunroof alone.
Old 14th June 2008, 10:09   #3
BHPian

Most of the showroom guys don’t know to Rectify the issue of sunroof, when it comes to very high end cars at least there technicians are trained on it.. even my friend had issues with his car’s sunroof we went to Stanley and got it fixed as they install webasto for most of the car and they know what they are doing and what need to be done…
Old 14th June 2008, 10:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is a possibility though as you can see the watermarks above it and around it. If not sealed properly there is no stopping the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Water just cannot enter through that hole into the main component until you fender is not in place
Even if it does, it cannot be much
It has to be the sunroof alone.
Old 14th June 2008, 19:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
There is a possibility though as you can see the watermarks above it and around it. If not sealed properly there is no stopping the water.
As I think that hole is a bit pointing towards down( i maybe wrong)
But IMHO so much water as the guy is mentioning cannot enter from the hole and spread all over the front. Even if water does enter, it will be only towards the front left

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 14th June 2008 at 19:05. Reason: wrong word used( replaced bottom with front end)
Old 14th June 2008, 19:49   #6
BHPian

Really disgusting behaviour from GM. These days this kind of dodgy warranty policies are becoming commonplace.

You should seek legal action against them and try to recover damages.

BTW, please post the video if possible.
Old 14th June 2008, 20:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayam View Post
Hey Guys
I bought my Optra royale 1.6 LT only because of GM fitted sunroofs (they did look swanky) last august from national garage (mahalaxmi) and today I am truly disgusted... n its Friday evening so thought I all share my story. Odo is just 3400 KM (second free service due) and daily commute from khar to shantakruz and back.

Just after Mumbai dreaded rains started pouring in last Friday morning I found my car co passenger and left rear compartment drenched in water. Yeah...the water accumulation was 4-6 inches. Had shock of my life.

1)
Only some amout of water can enter through that hole, unless you have ventured into mini seas of our roads. But then if the car is parked then how come water come through that hole ?

2)
If even the left rear compartment is getting soaked in water, then its sunroof. the water cannot enter the hole pointed out and go on to hit the rear left passenger compartment.

So its SunRoof.

@adityamunshi:
There is a term called " Normal Wear and Tear". Under this they can cover up most of manufacturing defects. There are very few compaines who are ready to offer the real value of Warranty and Extended Warranty.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th June 2008 at 20:20.
Old 14th June 2008, 20:38   #8

Hi Swayam

In the situation your greatest weapon is the video you recorded.

If I were you, I would burn the video on a CD and mail it to the General Motors India Limited, along with a letter saying that if the problem is not solved with in a week, you are taking the video to the Television media and the consumer court .

The excuses given by GM are totally ridiculous .

1 > " Only partial water leakage was from the ‘A Pillar’" and the reason they say is blocked water galleries of the sun roof, due to accumulation of dust and other particles in them".

Blocked water galleries due to accumulation to dust ???

Why did they design such a water gallery ?
Where GM thinking that the car will be run and kept in Dust free, Climate controlled scientific labs ??

2> "due to the non fitment of rubber grommet of the left fender due to the extra fitment of the stereo amplifier "

You have a stereo amp on your left fender ??

Most importantly do they have any evidence ( video or not ) for what they are claiming ?

Spinner Wheelz
Old 14th June 2008, 21:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Is there any water mark on your roof padding?
Old 15th June 2008, 11:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

hi dadu, i honestly dont know if water can really come in beneath fender reasons 1) Its covered by fender 2) the point ( i cant see the hole) is verical 3) car was parked (and has not run thru waters) 4) My video which shows the roof padding as reason for water leak. I hope to post it once my broadband restarts working. You should have a look at it and then give your feedback ..
Old 15th June 2008, 11:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner Wheelz View Post
Hi Swayam

If I were you, I would burn the video on a CD and mail it to the General Motors India Limited, along with a letter saying that if the problem is not solved with in a week, you are taking the video to the Television media and the consumer court .

1 > " Only partial water leakage was from the ‘A Pillar’" and the reason they say is blocked water galleries of the sun roof, due to accumulation of dust and other particles in them".

Where GM thinking that the car will be run and kept in Dust free, Climate controlled scientific labs ??

2> "due to the non fitment of rubber grommet of the left fender due to the extra fitment of the stereo amplifier "

Most importantly do they have any evidence ( video or not ) for what they are claiming ?

Spinner Wheelz
Hi Spinner Wheelz, I dont think they have any video of what they claim. Besides the GM owner manual also do not require any special care for cleaning water galleries near sunroof. Infact it says in the section "care and cleaning of exteriors" - "Chevrolet designed your vehicle to withstand normal enviornment conditions and natural element"

And mate, i am gonna do exactly that and would take it to media ..additionally i have already done some basics to go to consumer forum as well. I am supposed to meet the GM engineer on monday, will decide on next course of action then..
Old 15th June 2008, 11:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner Wheelz View Post
Hi Swayam

Spinner Wheelz
Hi spinner wheelz, My amp is not at left fender its in the boot. Its just the wiring to the batteries which has been routed this way.
Old 15th June 2008, 12:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Is there any water mark on your roof padding?
You mean roof clothing.? Yes its wet. Infact when i pushed my hand in,,i get whole lot of water in dripping in my hand..

pl wait till upload the video (once my broadband is back tomorrow) and then you should have a look and comment..
Old 15th June 2008, 13:26   #14

VIDEO Link of Water leak in Optra Added

Hey guys

Here it is. Finally managed to upload a small video from my data card

now the picture would be complete..

Please feel free to provide your feedbacks
Old 16th June 2008, 00:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayam View Post
Folks here is the link to the video i shot

YouTube - water leakage from 9M/3400 KM, GM chevrolet Optra LT Royale

Please let your feedback come in..
Saw the Video. Thanks. The roof padding also get wet, so either the sunroof or the water channel is at fault. Now with the rain, I think that dust should be washed off and so the channels are most likely not to be at fault. Mostly its sunroof.

Thanks for uploading video.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks