Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 15:10   #1
BHPian

Maruti Service Masters Chennai

28-June Went on a drive in the morning till Mylapore in my WagonR and attended a family function and returned along with my cousin and family. While returning just nearing my house[200 mts left] i felt that air was hot even though ac is at max. Stopped the car and then opened the hood. Lots of smoke and a boiling noise [as in old radiator car]. Noticed the temp gague now and the needle is touching the H.

Panicked. Thought again and drove slowly for around 200mts and reached house by 8AM. Called MOS[a cell number and not 1800]. The person on the phone said he will be coming in the next 1 hour. Relaxed a little now. Called the MOS number again after an hour and the same answer that he will be coming within an hour. THis went on for third time as well . By now time was 12 noon and when i called again i was told they will be there by 2:30PM.

By 3PM the MOS OMni came and the guy looke into the hood for sometime and then told me that fan is broken and entire fan motor needs replacement. I asked rough estimate and he called the MSM and told me it will be around 3800 including labour charges. Then he brought the vehicle from parking and towed it using an iron chain. I could not believe that Omni can tow so easily another car. Before the service guy left, he told that i can come the next day by 2PM to collect my vehicle.

Next day morning around 9:30AM i got a call from MSM with the information that fan/motor is broken and so i need to pay the amount. I asked him whether the extended warranty i got will cover fan/motor. He flatly said no. I told him to go-ahead with the job. Thought immediately to call chennnai TBHPian to get to know the facts. Foolish me. No phone number stored in mobile. Tried connecting to web and bsnl decided to make my day worse.

By 12:30 i got a call stating that the job is done. I called my wife to drop me in the MSM. She queried whether i have taken extended warrantly booklet and she gave me the same. Reached MSM and casually opened the booklet to see what are the parts covered. There it is --- under electrical parts, cool fan motor is mentioned as part of warranty. I could not believe myself. Showed that to the service personnel. That guy was astounded. He brought another person who said since the fan is broken completely [I can never understand how a fan can break all around the axis on which it rotates]. He also told me that this is the rule which management has given them. I offered to speak to their management. Now the time is already 1:15pm and i am waiting to speak to management.

After some more time, deputy manager [works], came and enquired about the issue. He told me that i have not done service properly. When i showed him the service records, he told me that he too saw it. Then he questioned me why i come to them now for warranty fix while i have done servicing elsewhere. I smiled and said that i never knew about MSM and since my friend has recommended recently, i came here. On hearing this he was happy and he immediately signed for warranty replacmeent. I told him he has won a customer.

Got the vehicle, everything fine and also cleaned and waxed. Great. Took the vehicle went to beach and spent the rest of evening.

Lessons learnt:

1. Keep TBhpians number readily.
2. Read the booklets coming with products [and also the fine prints]
Old 30th June 2008, 17:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

That is a good experience, but trying first not to give into the warranty was not a good sign! If it is supposed to be covered it is supposed to be covered regardless of you doing service there or doing in an authorized center in another state!

But then, all's well that ends well! :-)
Old 30th June 2008, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

MSM are usually very competent, not sure why you had to stand your ground to get into their skull. Overall, a good experience for you. Try to meet up with us sometime.
cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 30th June 2008 at 17:59.
Old 30th June 2008, 17:56   #4
BHPian

I would say just report this incident to Maruti . Although the outcome was in your favor it is simply not acceptable for the staff there to not know what is covered under warranty and what is not. Lastly not all customers will have the time and patience to go through the ex warranty booklet , so an ignorant customer is bound to be cheated by these guys.
Old 30th June 2008, 17:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Actually as per Maruti, warranty works can be undertaken only at a dealer workshop and not at authorised service centers. MSM although is a just a service center is said to be partially owned and operated by Maruti, hence the warranty was accepted.
Old 30th June 2008, 19:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
...MSM although is a just a service center is said to be partially owned and operated by Maruti, hence the warranty was accepted.
Meaning, they should have know exactly what is covered and what is not by the extended warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I would say just report this incident to Maruti ... Lastly not all customers will have the time and patience to go through the ex warranty booklet , so an ignorant customer is bound to be cheated by these guys.
I would ask you to take this line; but this might affect any further relationship that you might want to go ahead with!
Old 30th June 2008, 21:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

I would ask you to take this line; but this might affect any further relationship that you might want to go ahead with!
These guys can repeat this again to others so just because you need to have a good relationship with MSM it is not right to let them off so easily.
After all , there are n number of maruti service centres in chennai. I am saying to go register a complaint and follow it till its death, but just reporting will not hurt.

Happywheels, Why did you want me to take this line anyway?
Old 30th June 2008, 21:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
After all , there are n number of maruti service centres in chennai. I am saying to go register a complaint and follow it till its death, but just reporting will not hurt.

Happywheels, Why did you want me to take this line anyway?
Mission - what I said was for vennarbank.

I was asking him to follow your suggestion, unless he is worried about long term relation with MSM.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Mission - what I said was for vennarbank.

I was asking him to follow your suggestion, unless he is worried about long term relation with MSM.
hehe. My bad. Go Vennarbank Go.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MSM although is a just a service center is said to be partially owned and operated by Maruti, hence the warranty was accepted.
MSM's are not owned by Maruti but is only badge of highest quality service outside its owned service centers.

In any case you should fill up the service rating form and mention this. I did it once and got prompt attention from Delhi. This will help others as well.
Old 1st July 2008, 01:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
MSM's are not owned by Maruti but is only badge of highest quality service outside its owned service centers.
Wrong, Its a joint venture between Maruti, Sumitomo and countrywide. Correct me if this has changed.
Old 1st July 2008, 15:06   #12
BHPian

Thanks all for reading the long write-up.

Quote:

In any case you should fill up the service rating form and mention this. I did it once and got prompt attention from Delhi. This will help others as well.
The manager told me that he will send me the service rating form. I will fill it up matter of factly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
MSM are usually very competent, not sure why you had to stand your ground to get into their skull. Overall, a good experience for you. Try to meet up with us sometime.
cheers
Esteem_lover, Yes you are correct. Thats the reason i went there. Sure i will meet up with our fellow mates in the earliest possible time. Let me know when is the next meet planned.
Old 1st July 2008, 22:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong, Its a joint venture between Maruti, Sumitomo and countrywide. Correct me if this has changed.
No. Maruti Service Masters are independent of Maruti. There may be one or two which Maruti is running on as joint venture. I know two atleast which are privately owned in Delhi.

Service Master is grading for level of service and equipment that they have to carry.
Old 2nd July 2008, 01:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
No. Maruti Service Masters are independent of Maruti. There may be one or two which Maruti is running on as joint venture. I know two atleast which are privately owned in Delhi.

Service Master is grading for level of service and equipment that they have to carry.
No matter who owns it, i think they are better than the other 'popular' service stations in chennai.
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

May be I am confusing between Maruti Service Masters and Service Masters?? Let me check back with my friend who owns one in Delhi.

Most Viewed