Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 02:30   #61
BHPian

Thats true... Auto makers think that Indians were so starved for cars for 40 years that they'll pay anything for a car
Old 30th June 2009, 03:02   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

But guys,
according to the site, the XF comes with a 5.0 V8.
For 63L for that is a good price comparitively.
Old 30th June 2009, 03:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Why haven't they launched a Diesel model?
Old 30th June 2009, 07:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Why haven't they launched a Diesel model?
The diesel model has not been launched yet because internationally, Jaguar recently upgraded its diesel engines from 2.7 to 3.0, and this happened only last month. So i guess, diesels will follow sometime towards the end of this year.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:28   #65
Team-BHP Support

Adding, the diesel being a CBU will not be competitive vis a vis a BMW 5 or an Audi A6 or Merc. JLR are testing market first before going big. Considering market conditions, I can understand. Also JLR have no experience in setting up for CKD/SKD. They are made in the UK and no where else (some jags were assembled in South Africa a long time ago)
Old 30th June 2009, 13:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

I believe that initally atleast Tata shouldn't have that hard a time selling a couple of Jags and LRs. Jaguar has a pretty high brand value in India and will be a welcome change from the German trio.

Maybe the Tata factory can be used which will help cut down set up time in case they need to start assembling kits. Didn't Mercedes just move out of the Tata plant in Pune? Maybe that section can be used to assemble Jaguars/Land Rovers in the future.
Old 30th June 2009, 14:53   #67
BHPian

Are all these jaguars & land Rovers are direct import here ???
i think, just for Indian customers; Tata should try for assembling them here in India.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

The jaguars are direct imports and come with either the 5 litre naturally aspirated engines or the supercharges ones. They have the XKR (coupe and convertible) and the XF, XFR models are here. No diesel as yet. The Land Rover section has the Discovery, Sport and the Range Rover. The Free Lander is yet to come. These are available in Diesel. They have a stock yard here where only colour choices would be available as all other features are standard. So customisation is not a posibility if you want a car urgently.
The Cars are not that expensive when you compare them to other imports in the market. The XKR convertible comes to 1.25 cr on road which can be compared to a Porsche, Bentley GT, SL 500 and the R8. The XF comes at 70 odd lakhs on road and the supercharged is at a difference of 10 odd lakhs from it. The Range Rover sport 3.7 v8 comes to around 80 odd lakhs ex showroom then the registration and other taxes come in so around 90 odd is my guess. The Discovery comes at 60 lakhs ex showroom.
The XK with the engine rumble just blew my mind. The features like when you switch off the car the acc vents turn in and become a part of the dash board were cool gimics added. all in all the cars are fabulous and worth the money. The model missing was the XJ from the jaguar line up but then again you can order a model even if it is not in the showroom.

Last edited by speedy : 1st July 2009 at 11:42.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:46   #69
Team-BHP Support

No point introducing the XJ when its replacement is coming out next thurs!
Old 1st July 2009, 12:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
No point introducing the XJ when its replacement is coming out next thurs!
Yes but even the Range Rover is comming with a new upgradation in a few months. They could have just displayed the car. They call for the XJ from the taj when a customer ask to see one anyways.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:03   #71
Team-BHP Support

The cost of advertisining and marketing the old XJ (no longer made ) as well as the need to stock parts makes it a non starter. Might as well start with a new one. The Rangie is an upgrade and mainly tweaks and cosmetic. They must have sent some of their existing non moving stock over here which can be sold at least as cost or a small profit as opposed to UK where prices are massacred
Old 1st July 2009, 17:17   #72
BHPian

Ok so I am a little late in posting this because I had internet issues. I had an invite to the JLR launch and I went to it. It started at 7:30 and they served Hors' Dourves and drinks till 8pm and then they had the CEO for Jaguar and Land Rover come up and say a few words. They also had Ratan Tata come up and say a few words. After that they unveiled all the cars simultaneously.

They had two XKR's, one coupe and the other convertible, two XFR's and one XF, 2 Range Rover Sport's, 1 Range Rover Vogue and one Land Rover Discovery. Obviously not many people cared about the Discovery.

Here is the pricing as I was told.

RR Vogue 3.6 TDI - 99 Lakhs
RR Sport 3.6 TDI - 68,83,137 ( I was told 78 at the launch but the sales guy emailed me this price!!!!!)
RR Discovery - 65 Lakhs
XF 5L V8 385PS - 65 Lakhs
XFR 5L V8 510PS - 78 Lakhs
XKR Coupe 5L v8 510PS - 92 Lakhs
XKR Convertible - I didnt care to ask.

All prices are Ex-Showroom

I feel the prices will be lower than what is quoted seeing that they already changed prices from what was told to me on the day of the launch. I have just spoken with the senior sales consultant and he will email me the price list. I will update when I receive them.

I did carry a camera with me but was unable to take pics since no one else was and didnt want to look out of place !!!

They did give you a souvenir Land Rover flask and I will post pics of the invite and the flask in a day or so.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:22   #73
BHPian

These machines are too costly to own ! Tata's should use "Nano pricing" to survive the battle !!!
Old 1st July 2009, 18:17   #74
BHPian

Ok so i received new prices from the sales guy

RR Vogue 3.6 TDV8 - 93,71,984
RR Sport 3.6 TDV8 - 68,83,137
RR Discovery 2.7 TDV6 - 59,62,752

The prices are ex-showroom without octroi Incl of VAT
Old 1st July 2009, 19:16   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
These machines are too costly to own ! Tata's should use "Nano pricing" to survive the battle !!!
Compared to prices of equivalent cars from their competitors, these cars are well priced.
Smaller engines need to be introduced. That will make these cars cheaper and accessible to more people. That matters, because, finally it's sales figures that matter.

Most Viewed