Team-BHP - Partially compensated - Petrol theft during service of Maruti Suzuki DZire
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Dealerships (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/)
-   -   Partially compensated - Petrol theft during service of Maruti Suzuki DZire (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-dealerships/49408-partially-compensated-petrol-theft-during-service-maruti-suzuki-dzire.html)

Had the 10,000 kms "free" service of my Maruti Suzuki DZire done on 18-11-2008 at Chennai.

Here is the link to more details about my car: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vations-6.html

While taking delivery of my car I noticed that the petrol gauge was showing a much lower level than at the time of giving for service that morning. On complaining to the service engineer he apologised for it and immediately topped up my fuel tank with about 2 to 3 litres of "premium" petrol. He did not have an explanation for the loss but has promised to report the matter to his superiors (who were apparently not available since it was 6.30 in the evening) and get back to me with an explanation and appropriate compensation.

Has anybody else faced a similar problem? How did you sort it out?

did you note what was the exact kms covered when you gave your car for servicing and what was it after getting from the service??was there a major difference?
i doubt if they took it for a joy ride or was it literally stealing petrol from the tank for their own purpose??
(ps: service stations do drive the cars after servicing for few kms to check for problems rectifications and all)

Is it a big issue. I have been giving my car for service for close to 13 years now with Maruti/GM and now Toyota, and my FE always drops a bit in that week. I have estimated around 2-4 litres of loss. Do not know where it goes-technical issues (revving, checking, TD) or simple theft.

I always leave 3 to 4 lit of petrol before servicing. So there is no scope for theft seeing that car is already running out of petrol :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariendj (Post 1063160)
did you note what was the exact kms covered when you gave your car for servicing and what was it after getting from the service??was there a major difference?
i doubt if they took it for a joy ride or was it literally stealing petrol from the tank for their own purpose??
(ps: service stations do drive the cars after servicing for few kms to check for problems rectifications and all)

The odometer showed only 3 or 4 kilometers more. In fact, a drive around by the service engineer was the first explanation/ excuse offered to me. However when I pointed out that the increase in the odometer reading would not justify even a 1 litre decrease in the petrol quantity he backed off and went about getting the petrol ready.

A service manager by name Mr.John from the service centre contacted me by way of follow up and has promised to find out what exactly happened. I am waiting.

It looks like a scam, and it could be prevalent in some of the Service centers!

Imagine if they suck-out 2 lits of petrol from 50 cars daily, it would be 100 lits a day, 2500 lits a month, i.e. Rs.125,000 p.m.:Shockked:

i always give it for servicing when the fuel guage is almost zero :)
i am not sure how far its true, but a mechanic once told me that quite a few spare parts are cleaned with fuel itself, and hence the quantity of fuel may reduce considerably depending on how much washing down was done to the spare parts; not just washing but even for wiping it clean they dip cloth/material in fuel and do so. someone plz confirm this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailrahul (Post 1130973)
i am not sure how far its true, but a mechanic once told me that quite a few spare parts are cleaned with fuel itself, and hence the quantity of fuel may reduce considerably depending on how much washing down was done to the spare parts; not just washing but even for wiping it clean they dip cloth/material in fuel and do so. someone plz confirm this.

At most, even if that is true, it wont cost you more than half litre. But a good authorised centre is not supposed to use petrol from your vehicle!

This happens at most service stations on petrol cars. Mechanics have two wheelers to commute and want to make a easy buck out of customers petrol. So one more reason to own a Diesel car lol:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailrahul (Post 1130973)
i am not sure how far its true, but a mechanic once told me that quite a few spare parts are cleaned with fuel itself,

This is BS. Just an excuse. Thats why they charge service chrgs.

I took the ABT Arumbakkam chennai guys to task last time for using my car for pickup and drop of drivers to collect cars for service. I was in the center, and noticed the car going out and was told test drive. I timed the drive for 48mins.

Once the car was in the center, I got the driver out and pulled the keys and asked where he was. The baffled guy confessed. The car ran 13kms.

The center head apologised and said will top up for me. I refused and said will complain if it happens again. I would advise not to leave your car at their mercy if you have an option.

I always give my car for service with 5 lts left in the tank, but dont the service advisors jot down the kms reading and how much of fuel left in the tank before giving you a copy of the service job card? so for hyundai has been reliable in this case. I never found any foul play whenever i left my santro with advaith or trident hyundai for service. maybe i was lucky:)

Murugan, which is this service station ?
My guess is ABT Arumbakkam cause i have had some bad experiences there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by headers (Post 1070117)
Cos ABT and UNIPRO in chennai were known to doing that. But thats 15 years ago.

Saar, UNIPRO closed many years ago. You are right about ABT though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 1070073)
It looks like a scam, and it could be prevalent in some of the Service centers!

Imagine if they suck-out 2 lits of petrol from 50 cars daily, it would be 100 lits a day, 2500 lits a month, i.e. Rs.125,000 p.m.:Shockked:

For 13 years I never had this problem with any of the service centers in Bangalore, in fact the last 1 year in Hyderabad my car was serviced at Varun motors. Not problems there as well. But going by the above math that is hell a lot of money. never thought about that.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajands (Post 1168410)
I always give my car for service with 5 lts left in the tank, but dont the service advisors jot down the kms reading and how much of fuel left in the tank before giving you a copy of the service job card? so for hyundai has been reliable in this case. I never found any foul play whenever i left my santro with advaith or trident hyundai for service. maybe i was lucky:)

Lucky you. Once took the DSC Hyundai guys to task once after they emptied out my tank, they however only replaced 150 bucks worth of fuel. Would have created an even bigger scene cause the service manager was playing hide and seek....in the end felt sorry for the service adviser as it was getting deducted from his pocket, and poor guy was dumbstruck ato how it could have happened. so agreed to it. Havent faced this problem since.

@kevciti: Dont believe the Service advisors etc..Screw all of them to get back your fuel!