Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 19:50   #1
BHPian

Buying a Swift VDI with ABS in Chennai

Hi Guys,
Am looking to buy a Swift VDI (with ABS) in Chennai. I have been discussing with about 3 dealers. Regarding the delivery time, 2 of them are quoting 2 to 3 months, whereas one dealer is quoting 4 to 6 months... Am really confused as to what is the real waiting period at this time.

Regarding discounts, not even 1k of discount is being offered on diesel versions of Swift it seems... Is this true?

My only concern before booking is the uncertain waiting period... Has anyone recently purchased / know of a purchase of VDI with ABS in chennai? If yes, what is the approx waiting period?
Old 4th January 2009, 20:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just check with ABT and cars india,Chennai.
I got a call from them that they have two colors(Red and Azura Grey) in Swift Vdi ABS and any color in Non ABS for an immediate delivery.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 4th January 2009 at 20:20.
Old 4th January 2009, 20:36   #3
BHPian

Hi Karthik, Thanks for the reply. I checked a Red VDI without ABS yesterday. In addition, I was told yesterday that with ABS, no Swift VDI is available... :-(

There are no discounts to take a 2008 make VDI. So, i thought it makes sense to wait for about 2 months and get a 2009 VDI with ABS.

Is it really worth waiting for 2 months?
Old 4th January 2009, 21:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

IMO,Swift VDi demand is not much as like before.
Due to recession,A lot of cars are in stock with dealers.
Please do check with some other dealers too.you might get it.
waiting for 2 more months is worthful really.
I have that lady no who is working with ABT is in my office desk.
I'll send it morrow.
Best of luck.
have you TDed Ford Ikon Tdci.A wonderful car
Old 4th January 2009, 21:37   #5
BHPian

I stay in royapettah. Theres an indus motors next to the flyover near my house. I had gone there when we were considering our options for a car upon my dads insistence. We were told the same thing. Petrol swift within 2 or 3 days. But swift diesel and dzire both petrol and diesel 3 t0 6 months, and 6 to 8 months respectfully.
To be honest, personally I dont think its worth the wait. While I also must add that ABS is the safer option anyday. Maybe you should start exploring your other options. You can think about the i20 or something if your not particular about a diesel. Or you can even weigh your options between a second hand vdi with abs against waiting for 3 months for new one.
Old 4th January 2009, 21:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Yes, its a fantastic car and well worth the wait. Book by paying a token amount at 3 dealerships and take delivery from the one that can provide the car at the earliest. Cancel the other bookings and get full refund on the booking amount.

Old 4th January 2009, 23:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
have you TDed Ford Ikon Tdci.A wonderful car
Infact, am a die hard fan of ford ikon and i was looking to buy the new ikon TDci... Decided buying against the ikon for the following reasons:
a) Ikon is about 10 year old model, a dead horse and may be discontinued in the next 2/3 years for newer models
b) resale value of ikon is very less
c) maintenance costs is high (though it has certainly come down offlate, Maruti is still cheaper)

So, didnt want to be dragging my decision to buy a car... zeroed in-on the VDI with ABS.

Sure, plz quote the dealer's contact number.

Thnx
Old 4th January 2009, 23:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Yes, its a fantastic car and well worth the wait. Book by paying a token amount at 3 dealerships and take delivery from the one that can provide the car at the earliest. Cancel the other bookings and get full refund on the booking amount.

Booking amount for diesel cars seems to be 50k. But, everyone is willing to come down only upto 25k. Nothing less than that... :-(

For petrol versions,they are willing to take just 5k, but not for diesel... :-(
Old 4th January 2009, 23:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Booking amount for diesel cars seems to be 50k. But, everyone is willing to come down only upto 25k. Nothing less than that... :-(

True. I paid just 5k for the Zxi. Its indeed a pity that the dealers are not ready to accept the depreciation fundae for buying a 2008 model. While the accept the same for the petrol versions!
Old 5th January 2009, 10:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post

Thats news !! When I was looking around for my car (Aug-Sep 07), the booking amount for a VDI (ABS) was 10k, the catch was that only 2-3 out of the 5-6 dealers I spoke to were taking bookings. Others flatly refused saying they do not hope to get a car before 5--6 months.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thats news !! When I was looking around for my car (Aug-Sep 07), the booking amount for a VDI (ABS) was 10k, the catch was that only 2-3 out of the 5-6 dealers I spoke to were taking bookings. Others flatly refused saying they do not hope to get a car before 5--6 months.
I spoke with CARS india and ABT Maruti... Both were quoting 2-3 months for delivery time, whereas Khivraj said it will be 4-6 months.

When we inquired, they were commenting, others may be saying 2-3 months just to take bookings and later-on they will be giving some or the other reason to drag... I am confused for this reason... :-(

Where did you book your VDI and how much was the waiting period? I am not sure whom to trust now... :-(
Old 5th January 2009, 11:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti has a winner, in terms of popularity and demand. It was a winner before it was even available!

One can understand longer delivery periods for a new model, but why still now? What is their reason for keeping the supply lagging so far behind the demand?
Old 5th January 2009, 11:34   #13
Team-BHP Support

Username: I got a lucky break with someone helping me out so got the car in a week. But I still suggest that you book with more than one dealer if possible and press them for a quicker delivery, or speak to MUL as someone else on the forum (ankit.jhamb). They helped him get the car sooner.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

It has been exactly TWO YEARS since the swift diesel was launched.
And inspite of this plus the recession that's affected the car industry, they still have the cajones to say "2-3 months" and "4-6 months"
I say you give a chunky piece of your mind to Maruti by phone and email.
Old 5th January 2009, 22:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The recession may well increase delivery times. Manufacturers and dealers will be anxious to move their completed stock, but might be reluctant to manufacture too many cars against uncertain sales.

...well, it's a theory!

Most Viewed