Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 16:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I have had only one "brush" with a Tata Dealership, at a time I was hunting for my first car. The hunt took me to a prominent S. Delhi dealer, the sales person spoke to me as if he was doing me a favour by showing me around the Indica.

My experience with the Mahindra Dealership too has been excellent.
I too had a similar experience with a TATA showroom about 4 years back. Didn't offer me a test drive of the Indigo. He just opened the doors to show me the space, the boot space by opening the dicky and then asked me to follow him to finish the documentation process of inquiry. That's it. Tata's had lost a customer there.

On the other hand, I have been very well treated at Maruti and Mahindra showroom's.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Truck selling heritage & mentality seems to be the reason for the arrogance, specially in the initial years of Indica which was touted to be the complete Indian Car and what not (it is a good car no doubt, if you leave aside the cab image).

Whereas Maruti has a Japanese heritage which has politeness as a part of the overall package, I have used the services at least 5 Maruti A.S.S. and the overall experience was good. Though they are always crowded.

Mahindra's I hear have improved over the years. My experience with them since my initial enquiry over an year back to my purchase in Sep '08, the first service & the way they dealt with some issues with my car puts them a notch higher than Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I too had a similar experience with a TATA showroom about 4 years back. Didn't offer me a test drive of the Indigo. He just opened the doors to show me the space, the boot space by opening the dicky and then asked me to follow him to finish the documentation process of inquiry. That's it. Tata's had lost a customer there.

On the other hand, I have been very well treated at Maruti and Mahindra showroom's.
Old 19th January 2009, 20:03   #18
BHPian

You should complain this to the manager of the showroom and have him removed from his job. The car has already been launched so whats wrong in taking in pictures ?. In fact i took pictures of the same when they were flown down along with bravo , punto and the 500 when tata inaugurated their new showroom on mysore road, nobody stopped me then.
Old 19th January 2009, 20:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

Well the decision was made, never ever to enter another Tata dealership again. . I had a bad experience at a Hyundai dealership too, where the staff was not even willing to show the Santro.

Rest is history, I bought a Wagon R ...
Well, in my case it happened the other way, 4 yrs ago we were looking around for a hatchback and the Sales guys at the Maruti showroom didn't bother to show the car(Alto) properly, and so much enthusiasm at the Hyundai showroom, went ahead with Santro...

Looking back, I wouldn't say in my case ...Maruti is bad, Hyundai is good etc.. at that particular time and place it so happened that way... I'll just keep an open mind for all brands during my next purchase.
Old 20th January 2009, 12:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Well, in my case it happened the other way, 4 yrs ago we were looking around for a hatchback and the Sales guys at the Maruti showroom didn't bother to show the car(Alto) properly, and so much enthusiasm at the Hyundai showroom, went ahead with Santro...

Looking back, I wouldn't say in my case ...Maruti is bad, Hyundai is good etc.. at that particular time and place it so happened that way... I'll just keep an open mind for all brands during my next purchase.
good one. I agree.

Imagine talking about how some companies having a jap origin and korea origin and indian origin were so different in treating customers in our soil. I agree with cars1. It was poosibly that guy who had a bad day showing it on you and the organisation had nothing to do with it. If you were to blame a sales person for not buying something that would given you a greater value to your money, then think again.

Thsi thread started with the TATA / Fiat sales team not allowing media to take pictures of the Linea which was then not launched, and if that was being rude.
Old 20th January 2009, 12:37   #21
BHPian

Have never gone clicking pictures in dealerships, so I can't really relate to this. However, all said and done, since you were on private property, the sales guy had every right to prevent you. May be his language could have been better. But then people often mistake politeness for an inability to take action.

About dealership experiences, I believe it's quite subjective.

Have had a splendid three years with the Sai Service MASS at Lower Parel, Mumbai. They were most helpful when buying our Swift. Advised me on the tyre specs (changed those puny Jks right away ), talked me out of a two-tone paint job ala Mini, were extremely courteous and patient during the entire delivery process. *** too has been extremely satisfying, be it getting insurance paperwork sorted, prompt advice, or whatever.

Quite the contrast was the Sai Service MASS at Andheri (E), Mumbai. We had gone there to book a Bajaj Pulsar 200 for my kid bro. And after waiting for more than an hour I had to remind the sales assistant, politely, that we were indeed interested in booking a bike.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:59   #22
BANNED

By law a car showroom is a public place. If the car dealer has prohibited photography in his showroom, and has informed the visitors about his policy by prominently displaying a notice board, then he has every right to prevent photography.

If he has made the rule on the fly, you can ask him to mind his business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
However, all said and done, since you were on private property, the sales guy had every right to prevent you.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:04   #23

I have Always loved TATA-FIAT service as regard to their salesmen/saleswomen. Somehow, i am apprehensive about this whole event actually happening. Are you sure this is exactly what happened? As somehow, i dont believe a showroom attendant would ever behave like that.
Old 20th January 2009, 19:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

My first time experience at the "Tata-Fiat" (had a bad exp. at Tata once) was good, the sales person was more than interested to show the car describe the features etc. Offered to book me up for the TD as the demo vehicle was not available.

Lets hope they make the sales & service experience good with Linea, make or break time for Fiat in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I have Always loved TATA-FIAT service as regard to their salesmen/saleswomen. Somehow, i am apprehensive about this whole event actually happening. Are you sure this is exactly what happened? As somehow, i dont believe a showroom attendant would ever behave like that.
Old 21st January 2009, 00:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
By law a car showroom is a public place. If the car dealer has prohibited photography in his showroom, and has informed the visitors about his policy by prominently displaying a notice board, then he has every right to prevent photography.

If he has made the rule on the fly, you can ask him to mind his business.
Exactly, I think he (the showroom guy) was exactly minding his business.
if an intruder comes in and starts clicking photographs without any prior permission, its his responsibility to stop it. Who knows, the photographer could be a terrorist in disguise planning to plant some bombs, so he had every right to stop him.
I fully support what the showroom guys did.
Old 21st January 2009, 02:19   #26
BHPian

I don't know about cars but when Bajaj Pulsar 200 was launched, the first display and TD bike came to Probiking, Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
I was there when they put it for display. I clicked 82 photos and took TD alone.
well I was the first customer to TD it in whole India.
Old 6th March 2009, 01:38   #27
BHPian

Can the odo reading be reset by the dealers? Day before yesterday one of my friend checked the Linea i have booked and saw the odo reading as 96 kms. The car was dispatched to the dealer a week back and temporary registration was not done and when inquired, the reply was not satisfactory. Today when i personally checked the odo readings, it was reset to 0(zero). I doubt if the car was used as demo vehicle.

Most Viewed