Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 18:53   #1
BHPian

Sunshine Hyundai tries to pass a dented i10: saved by T-bhp checklist

This is to share my experience of buying i10 till now.
i booked a blushing red magna 1.2 i10 at Sunshine hyundai on 5th Jan 2009. Deal was for 3.96 lacs OTR (including 3+4th yr warranty) with free insurance and Rs 15000 disc. I fully paid the dealership on 13th Jan as i planned the delivery on 18th Jan (today). in the meantime i went and gave all the required address proofs and other documents.
As suggested by PDI check list, i asked the sales executive for the chassis no. and went to their stockyard to personally do the pre-registration check. i had a look at the bodyline, the doors. engine compartment, interiors. the tyres were bridgestone and the battery was exide. after satisfying myself that the car was free from defects, i gave a ok signal to my sales executive for delivery.
Today, i went for delivery to the dealership at the appointed time 12 noon. i gave a call to the sales executive at 11AM that i shall be coming and he told me that the car will ready at the appointed time. i went with my driver, wife and my maternal uncle. i showed the PDI check-list to my wife and uncle and they were very impressed .meanwhile my sales excutive asked me to sign the gate pass and other papers and do the PDI checking later. i refused and said that i will do the PDI-checking first.
as i started checking and ticking the list one by one. the car mechanic who had done the PDI was getting irritated at my check-list and i perserved.My uncle who was also doing the checking found that there was dent in the back bumper. i went and checked that the paint was pelled from 2-3 palces and there was a vertical dent which i showed to my sales executive.
on seeing this, he said it was a minor dent and offered to replace the bumper. I refused to take delivery of the same even with fresh bumper. it is not a good to have replacement in a new car even before the delivery.
so he went off to search for another car and made us wait. after 1 hr he comes and tells me that he has arranged for another car and told us to come tomoorow. i insisted on the chassis no. and to do the pre-registration check up once again. he tried to avoid giving the chassis no., but relented when i put my foot down.
so armed with a new chassis no. we all went to the stock-yard to check if the new car was ok. At the stock-yard we found that the one of the doors of the newer car was not upto mark, so we rejected it and communicated it to him. Meanwhile in the stock yard we found another i10 same color which was to our satisfaction and asked the sales executive to give it to us.
He refused by saying that it was already booked in somebody's else name. so we asked him to give anyother option. he refused and asked us to come to the showroom and talk to his senior DGM.
So again we went to the showroom, where he again insisted on his options of changing the bumper and the other car with defective door. we met his senior, DGM (sales). He was a nice man, he patiently listened to our complaint and asked the sales executive under whose name it was booked. the truth that was the car we wanted (third one), was booked by someone but was cancelled yesterday (this fact was hidden from us by the sales executive). so we were alloted this vehicle and we are planning to take delievry tommmorrow. i have my fingers crossed. thank you for reading such a long post. will update tomorrow.
thanks to t-bhp, its PDI check-list and many people who have contributed to the posts with their experiences, we were saved from taking delivery of a defective car

Last edited by drkunaldas : 18th January 2009 at 19:00.
Old 18th January 2009, 18:59   #2
BHPian

Its very correct on your part not to accept the defective vehicle, buts I think its very difficult once the vehicle is already registered in your name !!

From your post, its not clear whether the vehicle is already registered in your name.

Please update further. Good Luck.
Old 18th January 2009, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What an experience!

Good to know that you were clear on the process and were not rushed to do thing, which most of us do due to the happiness in getting the a new car!

Please (please) do the same checks once again in more detail tomorrow. Not that it will happen, but I don't trust these sales guys especially one who had a beating!
Old 18th January 2009, 19:14   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Your experience is shocking, to say the least! That too from a manufacturer like Hyundai that competes so fiercely with MUL in India. This maybe a one off case, but it sure will put members of this website on guard when buying a Hyundai car.

I am planning to upgrade my Santro this year and will definitely carry the checklist as I did when I took delivery of my Alto last year in May.

Keep us updated on what happens to this car.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 18th January 2009, 19:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Its very correct on your part not to accept the defective vehicle, buts I think its very difficult once the vehicle is already registered in your name !!

From your post, its not clear whether the vehicle is already registered in your name.

Please update further. Good Luck.
it was not registered, though it was booked and insurance was also issued. i did not sign papers and insisted on pdi check before registration. insurance (reliance general insurance) and booking was cancelled.
another point in my favour is that because it is sunday, vat was not sent as it is usually sent by 15th of every month. if the booking is cancelled afte sending the VAT (4% of the ex-showroom price ~ 42K), it is difficult for the dealer to get a refund from the govt, so the dealers are relunctant to cancel / help you.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:12   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good on you for using the checklist as it is meant to be used. Personal PDI is a must, I am simply amazed at how many new car owners take delivery straight from the showroom with nary a check.

Glad we could help you!
Old 21st January 2009, 21:52   #7
BHPian

Further update. Brought the i10 from sunshine hyundai. their DGM sles Mr Sharma was very considerate and helpful. he also helped me getting a good registration no. (4955).
The next day, pre-registration check done with the t-bhp checklist. also did the underbody check. but 2 queries still remain.
1. did not receive any warranty cards/brochure for tyres/ (mrf ztvs) and battery (exide). was told to contact dealership for any warranty related issues. also the warranty for battery is 1 yr. is that ok (since my aftermarket amaron battery had 18 + 18 months warranty)?
posting a few pics of my new aquisition.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunshine Hyundai tries to pass a dented i10: saved by T-bhp checklist-dscf2822.jpg  

Sunshine Hyundai tries to pass a dented i10: saved by T-bhp checklist-dscf2824.jpg  

Sunshine Hyundai tries to pass a dented i10: saved by T-bhp checklist-dscf2826.jpg  

Sunshine Hyundai tries to pass a dented i10: saved by T-bhp checklist-dscf2829.jpg  

Old 21st January 2009, 21:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kunal. The i10 looks great in this color.

Happy driving
Old 21st January 2009, 22:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

good job now we know persistence does count
Old 21st January 2009, 22:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kunal.

That's a wonderful car.

About battery, even my Civic battery (Exide) had one year warranty and it died after 18 months. Then I had to bought Amaron.

Also, I never received any documents for tyres of any of my new car purchased (City/Civic/Estilo).
Old 22nd January 2009, 07:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the new car. nice that you put your foot down. when i took delivery of my car, there was no tool kit, and i was pretty surprized- to which the sales guy responded- this is standard! :(

Most Viewed