Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:08   #16
BHPian

Ford makes cars, dealerships sell them.

You cannot say that Ford is bad just because a particular dealership was sub-par. That really doesnt make sense. Just make sure you get your car serviced elsewhere.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Dealers may not oblige a door step TD for a new, in-demand vehicle (ties up their demo cars). But Fiesta should not be in this category.

@Marath, I have sent you a PM. try it out, else revert to me. Let us see how it goes.

Thanks for the PM. I will check that out . Other surprising fact is Concorde motors were ready to bring in Linea to my doorstep for a TD next week.
I am not sure whether it will happen or not, but he promised that. Dealerships are not as the way we think I guess.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
Ford makes cars, dealerships sell them.

You cannot say that Ford is bad just because a particular dealership was sub-par. That really doesnt make sense. Just make sure you get your car serviced elsewhere.
Agreed. But if Ford is not worried about the way dealership is performing, they are the ultimate loosers. I guess they have to make sure that dealerships are performing as an extended arm of Ford in the entire supply chain.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:09   #19
BHPian

Lathangi Motors suck completely as far as ethics,fairplay and stuff are concerned. I had a harrowing experience with them sometime back. Its a long story, will cut it short and present here - I sold my Ikon to them and during the process, the car went through two valuations, the second one being almost 50K lesser than the first one within a one week timeframe! They cited some weird reason of the first evaluator miscalculating! The first evaluator himself wanted to buy the car, but then the sales guy who I was in touch with played some insider games, worked out a deal with another collegaue of his and reduced the quoted price. I desperately wanted to sell the car at that point, so haggled a bit, got to some sort of a middleground and sold it off.

(Some three months later, I happened to bump into the first evaluator, he sort of spilled the beans and went - "What sir, You didnt sell the car to me, but sold it to him for much lesser")

Subsequesntly, I had booked a Fiesta with a promise that there would be no deductions if I cancel the booking. This promise was made by the sales guy and then vetted by his manager in front of me when I was reluctant. I went ahead. Later when I decided to cancel the booking, everything changed and it became thier company policy to deduct 10%!! (I made the mistake of not taking the promise in writing). I really had to run around and fight with them for them to finally agree to reimburse the full amount. But then, it started another ordeal. They regularly evaded calls and everytime I would land up there to collect the cheque, it wouldnt be ready and some random reason would be cited. Atlast, I got the money recently delivered at my office after I gave them a piece of my mind. The entire thing took four months!

My overall experiece wasnt great with them and I would recommend people to stay away from this particular dealer.

Last edited by car'zy : 2nd February 2009 at 14:14.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The earlier dealer before Lathangi, ie Cauvery Ford used to be open on Sundays , both the showroom as well as service center. Somehow, Lathangi doesnt believe in having the service center open on a Sunday. Beats me, as to why.

Why dont you ask the sales guy to get the vehicle over to your place for a TD? They usually do that.
Hi benbsb29, I checked up with their Manager Mr.Prasad, got information that in short time they will be taking up the sunday service. Once I get information, Keep you posted.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
Today I went to Lathangi ford in Bangalore for a Fiesta TD as I was in market for a sedan. I was surprised to find out that the salesman bluntly told that there is no TD vehicle available today as they are doing some servicing of vehicles. I already heard lots of complaints about Ford and this experience confirmed the same. On a sunday when there will be more prospetive customers, they don't have the TD vehicle.
Hi marathp,
May be they are working at a low profile on a sunday. Check out on a working day, Or ask for a TD. I Feel there should not be a issue.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
car'zy : ... booked a Fiesta with a promise that there would be no deductions if I cancel the booking. This promise was made by the sales guy and then vetted by his manager in front of me when I was reluctant. I went ahead. Later when I decided to cancel the booking, everything changed and it became thier company policy to deduct 10%!! (I made the mistake of not taking the promise in writing).
Would be surprised if this was the only dealer who did this. My guess is many a dealer would do this. Lathangi's booking form says 10k cancellation charge (see reverse of booking form)

btw, isnt 'policy' such a nice word ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Would be surprised if this was the only dealer who did this. My guess is many a dealer would do this. Lathangi's booking form says 10k cancellation charge (see reverse of booking form)

btw, isnt 'policy' such a nice word ?
Just to elaborate -- While I dont know if any other dealer would do it, ( I know a few who dont do it, BTW!) I completely agree on the policy perspective, agreed with them as well and infact I never argued on that point.

I was very honset with them, I clearly communicated that Fiesta and Cedia were the two cars I was looking at and also the fact that, at that point, I was tilting towards thier product. I was reluctant to book, while they wanted one out of me.

I read through the booking form and refused to sign it seeing the cancellation clause. The sales guy tried his best convincing me that they wouldnt deduct anything at all. When I was still not convinced, he brought in his AM and SM who both reiterated the promise to me! (Now I realise I should have cancelled that particular line and taken it in writing, but I went with thier word back then). I felt they should honour the committment made to me, I guess nothing wrong with that?

But their attitude changed once I decided to cancel the booking. I argued only from a trust/goodwill perspective and not a legality perspective. ( I'm not sure, but an expert opined that from a legality perspective they are not entitled to retains the customers money, they could get into trouble if one goes to ARAI) Also, how about the Bank interest when they retain the money for a long time? I feel I got a full refund only becasue they had the money for over 4 months and realised this fact. Also perhaps owing for the fact that I told them clearly that I would approach thier MD with the case if there were any deductions.

Last edited by car'zy : 3rd February 2009 at 14:10.
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:55   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
car'zy : I read through the booking form and refused to sign it seeing the cancellation clause. The sales guy tried his best convincing me that they wouldnt deduct anything at all. When I was still not convinced, he brought in his AM and SM who both reiterated the promise to me! (Now I realise I should have cancelled that particular line and taken it in writing, but I went with thier word back then). I felt they should honour the committment made to me, I guess nothing wrong with that?
It's a business transaction, and one that involves money. If you want something binding on them, then you would need to have something that can bind them - more than just a signature.

I'm not sure if the managers at a dealership will sign against a clause that you strike out on the booking form, & seal it with their stamp to legalize it. And if push comes to shove, then who will their management support ?

Another angle to this is : the money you have paid as booking amount is being used as surety by the dealership to book the car from the factory. The dealer also needs to provide some kind of payment to the factory. He has something at stake, and has to recover that before he lets go of your money. The cancellation charges often are calculated to cover such costs, incl intrest on their investment / money that's stuck in the car you had booked.

Last edited by condor : 3rd February 2009 at 17:00.
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
Thanks for the PM. I will check that out . Other surprising fact is Concorde motors were ready to bring in Linea to my doorstep for a TD next week.
I am not sure whether it will happen or not, but he promised that. Dealerships are not as the way we think I guess.
It depends on dealership and manpower available to them Concord Service is open 7 days a week 8 AM to 8 PM and sales 6.5 ( Sunday is half day)
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:43   #26
BaldOwl

Quote:
Another angle to this is : the money you have paid as booking amount is being used as surety by the dealership to book the car from the factory. The dealer also needs to provide some kind of payment to the factory. He has something at stake, and has to recover that before he lets go of your money. The cancellation charges often are calculated to cover such costs, incl intrest on their investment / money that's stuck in the car you had booked.
Is this legally correct, can they do it? Have you looked this up legally or is it just a thought?

Old 3rd February 2009, 17:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@BaldOwl : Remember - the terms of the booking are printed on the rear of the booking form (atleast an extract, if not the full set). The terms also include cancellation situations.

And you have signed your agreement on this form . How can you back out of what you have agreed to ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:05   #28
BHPian

I believe there is a new Showroom is opening near JalalHalli cross... Universal Ford. Not sure though.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:45   #29
BaldOwl

Quote:
@BaldOwl : Remember - the terms of the booking are printed on the rear of the booking form (atleast an extract, if not the full set). The terms also include cancellation situations.

And you have signed your agreement on this form . How can you back out of what you have agreed to ?
I can backout on what is written even if i have signed it. Depends upon what is written, whether it is legally allowed to be written in the first place.

Thats what i want to know. I think no dealer can keep any amount of the booking amount with him if the customer cancels the booking for a valid reason.

Oh and the booking amount taken from the customer is not used to book, store, market, advertise or polish the car required by the customer. The process between a dealer and manufacturer is very different.

Old 4th February 2009, 11:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldOwl View Post
I can backout on what is written even if i have signed it. Depends upon what is written, whether it is legally allowed to be written in the first place..

Thats more important! They can put any damn thing on thier papers, but, is it legally tenable? I wasnt sure and happened to check with someone who I thought was an expert and he opined that it isnt! So did another dealer I checked with.

On the particular incident - At the cost reiterating, I didnt argue on the legal perspective coz I realised I had signed on the clause. I argued as a past Ford customer on the grounds of trust and I succeded. If its company policy which die by, they had no business promising me something they had no intention of living upto! As simple as that! I didnt demand them to remove the clause, it was the other way round anyway- i just refused to sign and they offered to ignore that clause!

Last edited by car'zy : 4th February 2009 at 11:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks